OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/02/2024 7:10 pm  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY SEPT 29 ~ SAT OCT 5

Now that’s October, has anyone seen a Xmas commercial? We get our TV out of Philly, and of course PA is a battleground state, so all we get is political ads. 

10/02/2024 8:17 pm  #22

Holly, I have not seen a Christmas ad yet, thank goodness.  Ohio is full of political ads too.  So sick of them.  Our gasoline is still pretty reasonable too and I always keep my tank pretty full.

BJ, hope all is well with Tracy and her surgery.  I've been thru that melanoma scare and it is not easy.

Devonne, Dean and I bought two recliners a couple of years ago.  I wanted ones that would fit me too and not hang over the foot rest.  (I am 5 feet 7 inches tall with long legs.)  We found a couple and bought them.  After we got them home, I realized they were too big!  LOL.  We kept them but I have to reach a long way down to get the handle to lower the foot rest.  Finally read about them and they are Big and Tall chairs!! Did not know of such a thing, but we like them.

I made potato soup and dinner rolls since it is not too hot now.  Both grandkids love it and we had it for supper.

Trish, the number of grandparents who have actual custody of grandkids is huge.  Part of my job was enrolling new students and the past few years I would guess 30% of kids live with grandparents full time.  Double that for the grandparents who care for kids before and after school or during school closures.

Sending good vibes and well wishes to you all.

10/02/2024 10:45 pm  #23

As you know, I have some heart related health issues so when I had 2 short episodes of chest pains on Sunday I got very nervous. I asked my sister-in-law to take me to the ER. By the time she got to my house, the discomfort had quit but I went anyway. The ER was very busy but they took me in right away and immediately put me on a heart monitor, did an EKG and drew blood. I ended up being admitted and had more tests - x-ray and CT of chest, echocardiogram, and several more blood draws. It was Tuesday morning before they felt confident that it was not heart related but was instead caused by acid reflux due to a hiatal hernia. I have had acid reflux for years but never had it felt like it did on Sunday. I have an appointment scheduled in 3 weeks with a gastroenterologist about a possible endoscopy as well as an appointment with cardiologist on Friday as a follow up to the ablation I had two weeks ago. I’m glad I have answers and that it wasn’t more serious but it sure messed up my plans for this week. I missed a quilt guild meeting, two sessions of chair exercise class and one of small group personal training, and a Bible study at a friend’s house.

My brother felt bad that he was unable to come get me when I was discharged (SIL did) so this evening he brought me a chicken and dumpling dinner from the fundraiser at the school his grandson attends. It was such large servings that I will have another meal from leftovers. I’m sure there will be other times I need to call on him for help (but hopefully not to go to ER!)

10/03/2024 8:12 am  #24

Marylou, how scared you must have been! Glad it was not your heart. 

Cheryl, these came in regular and big. The big would not have worked for me. I'm only 5' 1". Trying to go cheaper with an online order doesn't work. I did that twice to save money, but only got to do returns, lol.  I will be paying a LOT more, but you get what you pay for. To get the footrest to be higher, I'm going with a zero gravity recliner. I didn't know you could get a power lift with zero gravity. I also found out yesterday that I absolutely LOVE the lumbar support. It's amazing how much it made my back feel better. The heat function is nice too. I don't care about the massage.

I am headed over to pick up Gary and we're going to a place that sells only name brands like La-z-boy, Flexsteel and Ultra Comfort. I would like to get one before my surgery. They do next day, "free" delivery. I'm sure that is added into the price. We drove around yesterday in Gary's 4 Runner with an empty trailer....in case we found something. 

If y'all remember Bonnie, she got hit pretty hard in South Carolina. Her yard is full of trash....looks like all of her neighbors outdoor furniture, mud, etc.

D e v o n n e

10/03/2024 8:52 am  #25

GET YOUR BRAIN WORKING THIS MORNING.....
Q. A magician promises that he can throw a ball as hard as he can and have it stop, change direction, and come back to him. He claims he can do it without the ball bouncing off of anything, the ball being tied to anything, or the use of magnets. How is this possible?
A.  He throws the ball straight up in the air!

I AM DOING FINE TODAY.  LIFE GOES ON AS USUAL FOR ME.  I WAS NOT THE BIG WINNER AT BINGO LAST NITE.  IN FACT, I LOST A WHOLE DOLLAR.  I DON'T THINK IT WILL BREAK MY BANK.

MARYLOU.......I AM SURE THAT WAS SCARY.  THOSE EPISODES ARE WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING.  ITS AMAZING HOW ACID REFLUX CAN DO THAT TO A PERSON.  I AM GLAD YOU TOOK CARE OF IT AND WILL SEE DOCTORS NOW FOR HOW TO CHECK THAT AND CHECK OUT YOUR RECENT ABLATION.  THANK GOODNESS YOU ARE OK AND HOME AGAIN.

DEVONNE......I THINK IT SOUNDS LIKE FUN SHOPPING FOR THE PREFECT RECLINER.  I KNOW YOU WILL FIND IT AND BE VERY HAPPY.  SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE TO GET WHAT YOU WANT BUT ITS WORTH IN IN THE LONG RUN.

BJ......I HOPE ALL WENT WELL FOR OUR TRACY.  SHE'S A GEM AND TAKES GOOD CARE OF HER PARENTS.  DESERVES ALL THE GOOD THINGS IN LIFE.  HUGS.

THAT'S IT LADIES.  I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A FINE DAY.  ENJOY FALL FOR WINTER LOOMS AHEAD.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (10/03/2024 9:04 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

10/03/2024 9:08 am  #26

Cheryl, when I worked in Camden it was the same, so many grandparents with custody. So many parents were either in jail, dead, or too addicted to care for the kids. It was such a sad situation. Some of the grandparents were so frail! It was mostly grandmothers. 
Mary Lou, I’m glad you got an answer. I also have reflux, and periodically have to do a course of omeprazole for it. I would cough til I vomited! It was my cardiologist who diagnosed it, and referred me to the gi doc. I had the endoscopy- much easier prep, just NPO after midnight. 

10/03/2024 9:40 am  #27

MaryLou, that must have been so scary.  I'm glad you got answers, and it wasn't as bad as you feared.

Sandra, sorry you lost money.  Darn it.  

Devonne, glad you are getting what you want.  Good supportive furniture is so important.  Like good shoes. 

Linda, I hope Darrell is doing okay.  

I just had my last cataract surgery followup visit.  I will need new lenses for my glasses for driving and seeing up close.  I can watch television fine (first time ever) and drive in town, but I will feel more comfortable with lenses.  We went down to the optical shop in the eye doctor's office, and the wonderful optician there told me about my Medicare lens options.  The new lenses are just over $200, my cost, versus the usual $700-800 that I've always paid.  Big relief.  Now I have a bit more to spend on Grand Canyon trip or buy a couple more rose bushes. 

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

10/03/2024 10:19 am  #28

Good Morning to everyone!!  Hope you are doing well!!   The sun is shining this morning, just beautiful.  No breeze down low, but up high the leaves are rustling around.  The garbage man just came, brought the container up to the garage door, nice of him!!

I have no plans for the day, believe Rhonda has gone camping so I won't see her until Monday.  Tracy will be over tomorrow night, that will be lovely.  I can count on her to take me for an ice cream cone on Sunday, lovely!!!

Well, I really don't have anything more to say, so will sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

10/03/2024 1:42 pm  #29

Quick stop by. We are in the process of closing the pool..going well so far but tomorrow will tell. That’s when we have to put the winter cover one.. it’s always almost grounds for divorce.

Last edited by tricia-anne (Today 3:46 am)

10/03/2024 2:15 pm  #30

Governor Kemp removed the Georgia gas taxes to help out with the Hurricane Helene disaster. I saw gas today for $2.54 (cash only). He discussed the roads/interstates that were out and told about lives lost. One woman in Thompson, GA lost her life and her one month old twin boys when a tree fell on her house. 

Marylou, I also have acid reflux; have had it for years. I'm like Holly and will occasionally have to start a round of Omeprazole. 

I bought a recliner, 4 times the price I paid for the first one. The first one he showed us was $3,499!!  I got the Ultra Comfort UC472. Has lumbar support, heat, cup holders, USB port, two large storage spaces, and a lot of different buttons. Got it local and it's free delivery, free setup. Will be delivered tomorrow. When I got home, Fed-X had already picked up the old one. The reason this is so important now is I have to sleep on my back for six weeks after my surgery. While I do have an adjustable bed, its not very comfortable sleeping with it reclined.

Carol, I only needed reading glasses after my cataract surgery. I was so worried I wouldn't pass the eye exam when I got my DL renewed, but I could see everyone of the lines without glasses. It was a relief!

Last edited by DownSouth (10/03/2024 2:18 pm)

D e v o n n e

10/03/2024 6:11 pm  #31

I only get my mail once a week and I had two beautiful cards in my mailbox today. 

Sandra, what a really cute card! A hug back to you too!  

Linda, I could read every word of your letter on the beautiful stationery. I don't mind unsolicited advice and yours was very good. Thank you! 

Bring on the prayers and advice, y'all! 

D e v o n n e

Yesterday 9:09 am  #32

FROM THE CHURCH NEWSLETTER:
THE LADIES OF THE CHURCH HAVE CAST OFF CLOTHING OF EVERY KIND, AND THEY CAN BE SEEN IN THE CHURCH BASEMENT FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

ON SUNDAY A SPECIAL COLLECTION WILL BE TAKEN TO DEFRAY THE EXPENSE OF THE NEW CARPET.  ALL THOSE WISHING TO DO SOMETHING ON THE CARPET WILL PLEASE COME FORWARD TO SIGN THE LIST. 

MY PLANS FOR TODAY INCLUDE TAKNG OUT MY TRASH SO I CAN GET A BIT OF SUNSHINE, SITTING ON THE PATIO TO ENJOY THE RIVER VIEWS.

CRAZY'BOUT SANDY HAS AN ANNIVERSARY TODAY BUT SINCE SHE NEVER JOINS US, I HAVE NOT SHOUTED THE NEWS ON OUR SPECIAL BIRTHDAYS AND ANNIVERSARY PAGE.

DEVONNE.....WOW, THE COST OF RECLINERS HAS SHOT UP INTO THE HEMISPHERE.  I REMEMBER MINE COST ME $499 IN 2004. OF COURSE IT DOES NOT HAVE THE BELLS AND WHISTLES, BUT ITS LONG ENOUGH FOR MY LONG LEGS AND VERY COMFY FOR SLEEPING.  I HOPE YOU FIND EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT WHEN PAYING THAT PRICE.
I CONTINUE TO SEND YOU GOOD VIBES.  LAUGHTER HELPS AS DOES POSITIVE THOUGHTS.  KEEP SMILING.

CAROL......YES, ITS AMAZING HOW GREAT ONE'S EYES ARE AFTER CATARACT SURGERIES.  A MIRACLE WE CAN ALL ENJOY IN OUR LATER YEARS.

TRISH.......HAVE YOU SEEN THE BROKENWOOD MYSTERIES?  THEY ARE MADE IN NEW ZEALAND.  THE INSPECTOR IS VERY GOOD AND HAS A BIT OF COMIC RESPONSES NOW AND THEN.  I HAVE ONLY SEEN 2 OF THEM SO FAR.  I THINK THEY WERE MADE 7 YEARS OR MORE AGO.

I HAVE TO COOK TODAY FOR SURE.  NO LAGGING ABOUT WITH READING INSTEAD.  I PROMISED CHICKEN RICE SOUP SO HAVE TO GET IT MADE TODAY.  I ALSO WILL MAKE MYSELF SOME PUDDING.  YESTERDAY I MADE BURRITO MIX AND ENJOYED A COUPLE OF THOSE THRU THE DAY.  
HAVE A GOOD DAY MY FRIENDS.  HUGS FOR ALL, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (Yesterday 9:34 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

Yesterday 9:24 am  #33

Devonne, does your mail not get delivered to your house?

I swear, Ralph is the machine whisperer. My Janome needle threader wouldn’t work, looked like a broken piece of wire. Looked up the replacement part, asked him to come look at it. Silly thing immediately worked. I knew computers were afraid of him, and will always work for him. Add sewing machines! 
Cheryl, I had Bon Jovi playing while I sewed, because I was thinking about Kelli and how I’m sad for you because you lost your friend. 
It’s nice out, low 70’s and sunny. I have windows open. 

Yesterday 9:59 am  #34

Hi there, I'm not feeling well this morning, so will just say Hi!! and go lay down.  My head is not good this morning and it is pouring outside.  Hope you all have a nice day, BJ.

Yesterday 10:03 am  #35

My vision wasn’t any better after caract surgery, except that I didn’t need my contact lenses because the implants basically took their place. I’ll admit there’s no fuss but I need reading/sewing glasses. And I still have poor night vision and the “Star bursts” from headlights, etc are no better…the dr said they would go away but they didn’t. 🤷‍♀️. So, I still don’t drive at night.

Last edited by tricia-anne (Today 3:46 am)

Yesterday 1:12 pm  #36

Devonne, I'm glad you found a recliner.  

BJ, I hope you feel better. 

Janet, I hope the pool closing went well.

Yes, I saw a Christmas commercial last night.  Disney cruises for the holidays.  I went to Walmart the other day to find a garden hose.  The entire garden section was full of trees and lights.  No hoses.  It's only October in Houston, we haven't had any rain for weeks, and some of us need to water our plants.  It's prime perennial planting season.  But, the great retail minds say put out the Christmas stuff regardless of what part of the country you're in.  

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

Yesterday 3:19 pm  #37

The pool is closed!! Very sad day. I always feel bad when we close the pool. It went smoothly, no harsh words and no surprises. All that’s left is a little clean up in the pool house and removal and storage of the salt cell generator. That’s his job.

Last edited by tricia-anne (Today 3:45 am)

Yesterday 10:08 pm  #38

Janet, does it make you sad because you know colder months are coming?

Holly, yes I get mail delivery every day in my mailbox at the end of my short driveway. It's mostly junk and that's why I only get it once a week, lol. I do get the USPS emails daily so I know when something important is out there, like my new driver's license yesterday!

Greg and Carter came and we went to a new local mexican place. Greg is leery about new places, but he said it was really good. I didn't get to try out my new recliner much because Carter loved it!  

Cheryl, I've been wanting to fix one of those spanish bars since you first mentioned it. I remember the one we got at A&P had a lot of raisins in it. I'm going to look for a recipe. 

D e v o n n e

Today 3:42 am  #39

We've had a mixed bag of weather, cool, cold, hot, rainy, windy - often in the same day Today has been stormy, followed by blue sky an hour later, then lovely all day. coolish tonight, but not too cool.

CHERYL so many grandparents here looking after kids too, but most I saw shopping looked like it was "day out with Grandma" getting treats, in the toy store, and books, and having morning tea in the cafes. I remember those days.

SANDRA sorry about the loss, at least it wasn't much, and THANK YOU for the series set info, I looked it up, and can get it on our cable channel, watched a little, the New Zealand accent sounds odd to me, enjoy your cooking today! I love M C  Beaton and Hamish Macbeth too!! I have been watching Rosemary & Thyme on Britbox, have seen it before but enjoy it still. 

CAROL I am hoping to get my surgery done soon, glad to hear you are doing well after yours. I was hoping they could fix my reading vision, rather than long distance, I don't mind wearing glasses and it would be nice to have less thick lens for reading, they do make them thinner to fit the frames, but it costs more. I'm glad the hurricane didn't affect you sorry about the hose buying, they really dont think do they?? !

DEVONNE that is great you got a good recliner, I understand now the need to get a good comfy one, sleeping for that time on your back is hard, I did a week after eye surgery some years back, wasn't great without a good recliner, I propped myself up in bed, too tempting to snuggle down flat. I haven't seen the bars you mentioned, are they like a trail mix in bar form?

HOLLY loads of Christmas in the stores here too, BUT no TV shows OR Christmas shopping ads LOL Thank heavens, It's only October for goodness sake!

JANET how good is it that all that work is done, you can relax now and prepare for your retreat, when do you go? is it far?

MARYLOU quite a scare for you!! I am glad you are OK, sounds like they took good care of you, I take medication for reflux every day, I have a colonoscopy and endoscopy every couple years, just to make sure there is nothing  happening. Seems like it's just my body, I often only take every 2 days, with Drs permission, the meds are usually not to be used constantly, but it was decided that the chance of cancer was too great not to ue the meds, and with monitoring I would be better off.

STRINGS such good news that Darryl is OK after his  surgery, weight off your mind, are you coping OK (((hugs )))

The Mr has been playing a lot of lawn bowls, and will be for the next few days, Pete and I have decided he's a big boy now and can darn well look after himself, he is limping badly, his hip is sore, but he still wants to play, and hasn't done anything about getting to the Drs to get help, SO he needs to suffer in silence 'cause we don't want to hear about it -- MEN!!

Last edited by tricia-anne (Today 3:53 am)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

Today 6:40 am  #40

Trish- the retreat is the last weekend in Oct.  lol.  It’s at the same place  about 20 mins away. 😊. And you’re right, now I can concentrate on getting my stuff ready to go.  I usually bring several projects…just in case.  This is a small group, 18, compared to the January one that has 50-54, at the same place.
    Devonne- it makes me sad because I really enjoy the pool, work and all.  And yes, it means the end of the warm weather, too.
    DH wasn’t up for 5 minutes before he started complaining.  I said, go back to bed….only thing is I thought I said it under my breath but it came out loud and clear.  So it’s only 8:30 and the fight is on.  🤷‍♀️

Board footera