OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

9/27/2024 8:15 am  #41

Re: ODT SUNDAY SEPT 22 ~ SAT SEPT 28

The rain is heavy and the wind is picking up.  A lot of business and schools are closed.  Tornado warnings went off about 11pm.  Flooding has begun, but we’re on a rise so no worries with that, hopefully.  The pool is to the top and DH will be going out to drain some as it’s too much pressure on the sides to leave it like that, plus we’re supposed to get 4-6” today. 😵‍💫
  Hopefully no power or satellite failures.

9/27/2024 8:45 am  #42

I was in the shop looking for a jacket to buy my girlfriend as a present. I couldn't decide which one to get, so I asked the salesman, "If you were buying a jacket for your girlfriend, which one would you get? He said, "A bulletproof one. I'm married."

THE RAIN HERE HAS PASSED.  IT WAS NEEDED SO NO COMPLAINTS.
A NEIGHBOR BROUGHT ME SOME CHICKEN AND STUFFING CASSEROLE LAST NITE.  IT WAS DIFFERENT FROM MINE SINCE SHE DID HER STUFFING FROM SCRATCH AND ADDED ZUCCHINI.  BUT IT WAS JUST ENOUGH TO GO WITH THE END OF MY GARLIC POTATOES SO IT MADE A NICE MEAL.  I GUESS I STARTED SOMETHING WHEN I BEGAN SHARING MY CASSEROLES. NOW THERE ARE 3 OF US THAT WILL BE SHARING MEALS AROUND AND ANOTHER WHO SOMETIMES SHARES HIS DESSERT DISHES AND ANOTHER WHO SHARES STORE-WRAPPED CANDY IN A BOWL BY THE MAILBOXES EVERY DAY.

OUR RAIN WASN'T BAD.  NO POWER OUTAGES WHICH IS THE BEST KIND OF RAIN TO GET.  AND WE NEEDED IT.  OUR FORESTS ENJOY A GOOD SOAKING NOW AND THEN.  HELPS KEEP THE FOREST FIRES AT BAY.
MY DAY IS GOING TO QUIET.  JUST THE USUAL HAPPENING AROUND HERE.
I AM THANKFUL FOR A FULL LARDER.
I AM THANKFUL FOR FRIENDS WHO SHARE.
I AM THANKFUL FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS LIKE YOU AND MINE.
HUGS FOR ALL, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (9/27/2024 8:56 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

9/27/2024 9:34 am  #43

Hi, all.

I've been busy with the school assignment and having bronchitis and laryngitis.  I'm off this week, so slowly recovering.

I just wanted to let you know that Theresa and her family are all okay.  Some tree limbs down, lots of rain and wind, but nothing serious.  

Hoping Janet and Devonne are okay.

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

9/27/2024 9:54 am  #44

This was the first time in years that I had to log in!  Good thing I only use 3 or 4 different passwords for everything.  Got it on the second try. 🥴
   Carol- glad to hear you and Theresa are ok.  We’re still tIn the waiting stage. Lots of rain and some wind but if it wasn’t for the hurricane, one wouldn’t think it’s anymore than a big rainstorm.  
   FedEx just delivered a package and told me all is good on the roads around here, but that I should stay in.  
He said the drivers were told to wrap it up by 4 and “head back to the stable”.  

9/27/2024 10:33 am  #45

All is fine here! We are under a wind advisory, a very nice breeze. No rain. I do have a saturated yard. I don't know why the tropical cyclone "statement" has been extended until 9 p.m.

I always take my trash out on Thursday night, but was worried my can would blow over and fill the cul de sac with trash. I set my alarm clock to get up at 8 a.m. I got it out at 8:20 and they came at 8:40...lucky me! 

Janet,  the map shows you and Linda are getting hit hard about right now!

I had breakfast for lunch...sausage, scrambled eggs, toast and coffee! Now it's time to keep working on my photo albums. It can get a mess really quick; I need to make more albums.

I did hear from Marilynn. She doesn't go to the internet anymore and asked me if I could send her my messages via text, which I did. We had a nice long conversation. She is having memory problems and lack of energy. She said she still wants to move back to Missouri, but no energy to get the house ready to sell. She has had interest in the house. She is going back to St. Louis soon and is hoping for a good report. She sent me a picture of Mickey, which I will post later. It was nice to chat with her.

Last edited by DownSouth (9/27/2024 10:39 am)

D e v o n n e

9/27/2024 10:38 am  #46

LATEST UPDATE ON LINDA......HER POWER JUST WENT OUT.  SHE'S IN VIRGINIA.  RAINING HARD.  SOME FLOODING EXPECTED NEAR HER.  THERE ARE MILLIONS WITHOUT POWER RIGHT NOW.

Last edited by quiltbea (9/27/2024 10:39 am)

9/27/2024 11:07 am  #47

Cute, Janet.    Wherever we are visiting, Howard always tells me to "saddle up"!  when he's ready to go.   I/we agree about Chicago, but Andrew's his own man, now.  Well, sort of.
He signed on for an apt. on Belmont Ave., yesterday.  It's North of the Loop and 1 block from  Lake Mich. and Belmont Harbor, a hopefully safer neighborhood, however safe you can be.  Will take public transportation to his office.  In fact, he may leave his car out here because of the limited parking there.  Two of his friends have sold their cars.  The South Shore electric train makes many runs back and forth, daily between Chicago and Chesterton, 10 miles from us.  The it goes on to South Bend.  (Notre Dame).  Many live out here and commute to work. 

Glad to hear all of you in the South  are okay, so far. Hope Greg and Carter could fly home.   I wonder how much rain we might run into going South.  Not leaving til Sunday, though.  

I just called friends, Carol & Albert.   They're still up here but from their cameras and whatever else, feel their Florida home in the Fort Meyers area was untouched.  

Carol, good to hear from you and the report on Theresa.   Sorry about the illness you've had.  
I think your teaching assignment is short-term...when will you be finished?    I know you have a goal for the funds, your trip to The United Kingdom...maybe?I forget where...

Love your daily jokes, QB.  Just another of your life hack,  "making something good for someone else"  ML told me this meme:  "Well another day has passed, and I didn't use algebra!"  How true, for me.    (Mary Lou might come along and tell us that somehow, somewhere we use it everyday!)   

Howard is prowling around, making me nervous and reminding me I need to finish packing.  Feeling a bit sniffly this morning.  Same yesterday, but no worse.    Have a good afternoon.
Indy.

Last edited by indyanny (9/27/2024 11:07 am)

9/27/2024 12:07 pm  #48

Look what happened on the cruise ship Greg was on. Where were the parents? Sadly, parents let their young kids go all over the ship without supervision. Greg has started letting Carter go get drinks/pizza shack without him. He is 13, but I'm still a grandmother hen, lol. 

There is no floor below where this child is sitting. Why would he want to climb up there? Rather scary. I hope the parents got a fine for unnecessary use of security and the rest of the staff.

Last edited by DownSouth (9/27/2024 12:08 pm)

D e v o n n e

9/27/2024 12:15 pm  #49

Ralph is always talking about how dangerous Chicago is, so I looked it up. It’s not even in the top ten most dangerous cities. All cities have crime and bad areas, and I’m sure Andrew will be careful about where he lives and goes. 
We’ve had drizzle all day long, and a breeze. Last night was so humid that I didn’t sleep well. It was only in the upper 60’s, so I didn’t want to turn the AC on. 

BLT’s for dinner.

9/27/2024 2:36 pm  #50

It was great to see our friends in the south are doing OK.. That hurricane was a destructive one for sure with so many deaths.   I have a former coworker who lives in Tampa and he said just lots of rain and heavy winds for him with strong/high water storm surges of water.  I was shocked to see the flooding in Ashville NC!!  The news said parts of the Biltmore estate was underwater.

It has been cool, drizzly and humid here.  Yesterday the humidity was extremely high and very uncomfortable; same as Holly, too cool for AC.

Devonne, thanks for the info on Marilynn.  

I am not a city person either.  I have not been in Chicago, only past thru it.  Have never been to New York, much to my son's dismay!  lol.  He would live in NYC if he could afford it.  All of those high buildings would send me into an anxiety attack, I think.  I like the trees and forests. 

I tried to hem a pair of pants for Amelia, boy do they look awful.  The pants have the flared bottom and are a stretchy fabric.  I used a stretch stitch on my machine, but still looks rumpled and bumpy.  I am not a seamstress for sure.  I think she will still wear them.

Nothing going on in my part of the world, so will sign off.  Have a great day.

PS:  Congrats Sandra for winning in bingo!!

9/27/2024 4:32 pm  #51

A friend I used to work with posted that she got a Covid shot. Not a booster, it’s like the flu shot, based on projections of which variants will hit this year. She said by the time she got home, brain fog was setting in, and lasted several hours, followed by exhaustion. By the next day she felt fine. So don’t get the shot if you have plans that day! I’m going to get the Covid and flu shots about mid October.

9/27/2024 5:10 pm  #52

A good steam pressing might help the hem on those pants look better.

Judy, most of us, especially quilters, use geometry more than algebra.

My cardiac ablation went well last Tuesday but I won’t know how effective it was until I see the doctor next week. I haven’t been feeling any Afib but that doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.  My biggest complaints were about little things like sore wrist where nurse had trouble starting IV and places where tape really irritated my skin.  It was great to have Lynn here for the whole week. By Thursday I was feeling fairly well and could enjoy our time together.

9/27/2024 9:08 pm  #53

Mary Lou, if you have an Apple Watch, it can show afib. That’s one of the reasons I got it. 

9/27/2024 9:40 pm  #54

Holly, I have one but I don’t feel like it is accurate. Last spring when I was in constant Afib for several days in a row, it showed less than 2%.

9/28/2024 6:31 am  #55

We never lost power but an area around the corner is out.  The outages around here are large, but scattered.  I can hear chain saws. I haven’t heard of any tornados nearby but one may have hit near the VA, NC, TN area.  A lot of local businesses closed during the storm yesterday and plan to reopen by Monday. 
  Both gyms I go to are closed due to flooding and/or power outages. 
  I’m not surprised about the outages, this area (and where Linda is) loses power with just rain and light winds.  They have done an extensive tree limb over wire trimming all year so hopefully that helped during this storm.
    DH has been impossible this week…moody, angry, bossy.  Wish my retreat was this week, not 3 weeks from now.

9/28/2024 7:58 am  #56

Asked to write a composition entitled, "What I'm thankful for on Thanksgiving," Little Johnny wrote, "I am thankful that I'm not a turkey."

WOW, THIS STORM IS SURE DOING LOTS OF DAMAGE.  
LINDA EXPECTS POWER BACK AROUND THE END OF SUNDAY.  THAT'S A LONG TIME.  

HOLLY......WE ARE GETTING OUR FLU SHOTS HERE ON OCT 29TH.  I USUALLY GET BOTH BOOSTERS BUT WE'LL SEE WHAT'S AVAILABLE THIS TIME.

DEVONNE......THAT SURE WAS SCARY ON THE SHIP.  AROUND HERE THE WARDEN SERVICE IS OFTEN CALLED OUT TO FIND OR SAVE A LOST OR HURT PERSON, HIKER OR WHATEVER.  NOWADAYS THEY WILL SEND A BILL FOR SERVICES IF THE PERSON HAS FLOUTED THE RULES OR PUT THEMSELVES IN DANGER THEMSELVES.  ITS ONLY FAIR.

CAROL.....SORRY YOU ARE FEELING SO AWFUL GETTING HIT WITH BOTH PROBLEMS AT ONCE.  I HOPE IT PASSES QUICKLY.

JUDY.....THANKS FOR THE INPUT.  I ENJOY LOOKING UP JOKES I CAN USE ON THIS SITE.  I LIKE A SMILE EVERY DAY.

I MADE HOMEMADE PIZZA LAST NITE AND TEXTED MY SON A PHOTO.  HE IS COMING OVER FOR A PIZZA LUNCH TODAY AFTER HIS GYM TIME.  HIS GYM IS IN MY TOWN.  IT WILL BE NICE TO HAVE HIM OVER FOR LUNCH.

OTHER THAN THAT, NOTHING NEW HERE.  I SORTED MY WEEKLY PILLS AND I SORTED MY RECYCLING. I ALSO HAVE TO TOSS A LOAD IN THE DUMPSTER.  A SMALL LOAD.  A BIT OF THIS AND THAT FOR ME TODAY.  I PLAN ON BAKING SOME PORK CHOPS WITH VEGGIES FOR MY SUPPER.

HAVE A GOOD DAY.  BE SAFE.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (9/28/2024 8:07 am)

9/28/2024 8:44 am  #57

We get our flu shots right after Halloween.
Sandra- around here power restore always takes long.

9/28/2024 12:40 pm  #58

HI!
OUR POWER CAME ON A LITTLE BEFORE 2 PM.

BELATED BIRTHDAY AND ANNIVERSARY WISHES.

THINKING OF EVERY ONE. PRAYERS.................

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

9/28/2024 12:44 pm  #59

So sad about all the lives lost and the damage in Florida and south Georgia, all the property damaged/lost and vehicles.

I have good news and sad news...the sad news first.

Hannah was coming back from the kids' ball practice and Macy, her precious little dog, ran under her truck. It fractured her pelvis, tibia and fibula. Gary has to take her to the vet once a week to get the bandages changed while they are at work. She is going to heal. She's a really tiny little girl. This is a $1,300 vet bill, plus the horse is still in treatment for his leg. I'll post a picture of her below...this was taken the day of the accident 9/15. 

The good news....they have decided it's too expensive to build, so they're getting a large modular home. They will all live together. If it doesn't work out, they can move back to their RV, lol. They already have chosen one in Alabama and it takes 6 to 9 months. Hannah did a lot of upgrades to it, adding front and back porches, permanent foundation, LVP flooring, etc. I'll be so happy when they all can get out of these RV's. I know people live in them full time, but most RV'ers travel in them as well. 

Last edited by DownSouth (9/28/2024 12:46 pm)

D e v o n n e

9/28/2024 1:10 pm  #60

Oh, my heart breaks for those folks in Western NC and Eastern TN.  So much flooding and damages.  One does not expect this in the mountains.  Thankfully, the news said no loss of life reported yet.  One hospital (patients and staff)  had to be evacuated by helicopter.

Dean and I were planning a trip to the Ashville area in a few weeks to see the Biltmore Estate again.  We were there 10 years ago or so.  
Was going to drive the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway.   We will put that off till we see how all the damage has been cleared.

Devonne, so sorry about the little dog.  Hopefully she will heal fully.

Sandra, do you make and freeze pizza dough or do you buy frozen, like Rhodes Pizza crusts?  We prefer homemade pizza to any that can be ordered out.  I ordered from Dominoes last week because of their special deal.....we threw most of it out.  Not good. 

Board footera