OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/26/2024 11:48 pm  #1

ODT SUNDAY SEPT 1 ~ SAT SEPT 7

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

9/01/2024 12:31 am  #2

Re: ODT SUNDAY SEPT 1 ~ SAT SEPT 7

More sad (understatement) news for my family! One week after my niece J passed away, a grand-niece passed away in an accident! She had just turned 30yo the middle of August. Like J, she had no children.

My family is hurting and reeling from these deaths, so prayers are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by tricia-anne (9/02/2024 1:37 am)

(((hugs!!!))) & prayers!     ~MnM~ aka Diane

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!" 

9/01/2024 8:00 am  #3

DIANE........HOW VERY SORRY I AM YOUR FAMILY HAS BEEN HIT SO HARD WITH BAD THINGS THIS PAST FEW WEEKS.  IT SURELY MUST BE VERY DIFFICULT FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY.  J WAS SO YOUNG.  SUCH A TERRIFIC LOSS.  MY CONDOLENCES TO ALL OF YOU.

Last edited by quiltbea (9/01/2024 8:01 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

9/01/2024 12:42 pm  #4

GOSH, NO ONE IS POSTING.  YOU ALL MUST BE VERY BUSY WITH THE HOLIDAY.

NOT MUCH TO SAY MYSELF.  I WILL BE READING MORE TODAY AND WATCHING SOME TV.  PLAYING SOLITAIRE A LOT TODAY SO WILL PUT THAT ON THE BACK BURNER FOR NOW.

JUDY......I WANTED TO WISH YOU A HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, YOU AND YOUR HOWARD.  I HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING A NICE DAY TOGETHER.

THAT'S IT LADIES.  NOT BUSY, JUST LAZY TODAY.  I HAVE LEFTOVER SOUP FROM YESTERDAY THAT I SHARED.  IT WAS VERY GOOD, VEGGIE BEEF.  I CHANGED IT A BIT.  YUMMY, YUMMY.
HUGS FOR ALL, QB S 

9/01/2024 2:07 pm  #5

Diane so very sorry about your family members. Thinking of you and your famuly. Prayers........

Last edited by tricia-anne (9/02/2024 1:36 am)

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

9/01/2024 2:43 pm  #6

Diane, I'm so sorry for another loss in your family. Sending prayers. 

Judy, hope you and Howard had a quiet, relaxing anniversary today. 

D e v o n n e

9/01/2024 5:59 pm  #7

Diane, such sad news--losing two precious loved ones so close together.  Prayers and love to you and your family.  

Thanks for the anniversary wishes.  We've had a quiet day at home. Talked about getting  a pizza, but didn't want to drive to get it so just ate what we had here.  We did both remember.  I guess that's something.     We never do much (or anything) for Labor Day, so it's rather a non-holiday for us.   Even more so this year...  

I've more or less been at loose ends today.  Hate that feeling of discontent.  Think I'll go out on the front porch for a bit before it gets dark.
Devonne, sent you  a PM.

Have a good evening and sweet dreams.
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (9/01/2024 6:26 pm)

9/01/2024 6:28 pm  #8

Diane, I'm so sorry to read yet more sad news.  Prayers sent, and thoughts added for all of you.

Judy, it sounds as though you and Howard had the kind of day you wanted, and that's all that counts.  

It's cooler than usual with rain expected, so I'm hoping I don't have to water the gardens this week.  My left eye cataract surgery is Wednesday, and I'm looking forward to getting it done.  

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

9/02/2024 1:32 am  #9

​DIANE I am so sorry to read your news, praying for your family, such a hard time for you all ((((hugs))))

INDY Happy Anniversary to you and Howard, however you spend it is up to you, I personally LOVE  a quiet day, wishing you many more happy years together ((((hugs)))) We had pizza last night, well I did, HE had veal schnitzel (Fathers Day at our favourite Nunzio's )

DEVONNE how was the shoe shopping, did you find what you wanted, I have no idea what "old lady' shoes are, I have some quite modern ones, wear what you like! It's fun to have new shoes.

JANET sounds like our car when we go to Queensland, the fullest car ever!! When we travelled to the UK we each  had a suitcase with 50lb limit and a small carry-on, maximum 16lb, we survived for 3 weeks, for 2 weeks in our northern state we have a full Mazda, including back seat LOL

SANDRA I  need soup tonight, it's turned cold LOL I hope you had a restful day, I have been watching As Time Goes By, must be about the 5th time I have seen it, Judi Dench was so young in it.

CAROL best wishes for the eye surgery, hope it goes well and you recover quickly, looking forward to getting mine done!

The wind has been vicious last 2 days, many trees down, flights cancelled etc, it's been so strong that I was getting a little scared! It hits the windows with such force you wonder how they aren't damaged.
It was Fathers Day here yesterday, we had a nice dinner with the family at Nunzio's, he served us himself (Nunzio -  he is such a sweetie) his sons were working hard in the kitchen. He was too, but came out a few times for the regulars for a very quick hello and to bring their food.

We had a tragedy here on Saturday, a young boy was killed - he was breaking the law, riding an unregistered trail bike at speed and crashed into a car at a roundabout, poor driver had no chance of missing him, she was injured a little with her airbags. 
When will these kids ever learn, dreadful price to pay for what he's done, no helmet of course. We have all been saying for a long time that there would be a bad accident one day. Didn't stop the others, they were out riding again that night and the next day - I wonder what his parents feel, they must surely have known what he was doing. I am just so very glad our boys have good sense NOT to be doing things like that. The neighbourhood site was up  in arms, many saying he got what he deserved, I do understand that but some of the comments were just awful. The posts have been removed
When we first heard about it I thought it might be the boy across the street but it wasn't,  the boy killed was only 17.

Last edited by tricia-anne (9/02/2024 1:36 am)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

9/02/2024 8:30 am  #10

During a lesson about adjectives, my friend, an elementary school teacher, asked her class to describe their mothers. One boy described his mother's hair as auburn.Impressed by his sophisticated word choice, my friend asked, "How do you know her hair color is auburn?" Her student replied, "Because that's what it says on the box."

WE HAVE HAD A SPECTACULAR SUMMER THIS YEAR.

THERESA......ARE YOU HOME YET OR HAVE YOU DECIDED TO STAY A BIT LONGER AND ENJOY THE WEATHER?

TRISH......I WATCH 2 SEGMENTS OF AS TIME GOES BY EVERY SAT. NITE.  I, TOO, HAVE SEEN THE SERIES MANY TIMES.  WE ARE REACHING THE VERY END OF THE WHOLE SERIES NEXT WEEK.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT OLD LADY SHOES. THE ONES I REMEMBER FROM MY YOUTH ARE NOT WHAT I SEE OR WEAR THESE DAYS, EVEN AT 82.  I NO LONGER WEAR HEELS BUT THEN I NEVER WORE HIGH ONES.  MY TOP HEIGHT WAS COMFY AT 2 1/2 INCHES. BEING OVER 5 FOOT 10 I NEVER WOULD GO HIGHER THAN 3 INCHES.  I HAVE SOME GOOD WALKING SHOES AND SOME OTHER COMFY ONES I CAN SLIDE INTO FOR THOSE TRIPS TO THE DUMPSTER.  AND LOW BOOTS FOR THOSE SNOWY DAYS OUTDOORS.  THE OLD TIED OXFORDS ARE A THING OF THE PAST I THINK.

WANT UNBROKEN ONCE-OVER-LIGHTLY OR FULLY-COOKED FRIED EGGS?  I LEARNED HOW TO FLIP EGGS WITHOUT BREAKING THE YOLKS.
COOK THEM TO THE SUNNY-SIDE-UP POINT THEN SLIDE ONTO A PLATE OR THE LID OF YOUR PAN.
LAY THE PAN OR PLATE UPSIDE DOWN CLOSELY OVER THE EGGS.
TURN THEM BOTH OVER TOGETHER BACK INTO THE PAN
THE EGGS WILL BE TURNED OVER IN THE PAN TO FINISH COOKING.  OF COURSE IT WON'T WORK IF THERE IS GREASE OR BUTTER IN YOUR PAN TO POUR OUT SO BE CAREFUL.

ITS A HOLIDAY BUT NOTHING HAPPENING HERE FOR ME.  A BIT OF COOKING AND I MANAGED TO TAKE OUT MY TRASH THIS MORNING AND COLLECT 8 MORE CHERRY TOMATOES FROM MY ROGUE TOMATO PLANT FROM LAST YEAR. I LEFT SOME IN THE BOWL FOR OTHERS TO ENJOY. THEY WILL MAKE A NICE SALAD TODAY.

YOU KNOW MY ROUTINE SO I WON'T REPEAT IT.  WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST OF HOLIDAYS.  HUGS FOR ALL.  QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (9/02/2024 8:53 am)

9/02/2024 9:18 am  #11

Happy belated anniversary Judy!!
Happy Labor Day!

We are going to grill burgers and then go for a walk/hike in one of the local parks.  Not sure where yet, but will get out of the house as it is beautiful out.  Low humidity and only 70 degrees.  Perfect for me.  I made brownies, cole slaw and parsley/dill small potatoes to go with the burgers.  

Diane, deepest sympathy to your family.

Dean and I went out to a Denny's restaurant yesterday and it was pretty good.  I had a crepe with cream cheese and strawberries and it was very good. Dean had a huge Denver omelette.  First time there in many years.  We used to eat at them when we traveled because the boys would actually eat. 

Nothing else for now.  Have a great day. 

9/02/2024 9:33 am  #12

Happy Labor Day! Yay for Unions! 
Cheryl, all the Denny’s near us closed a few years ago, I miss them. 
It’s 3 years today that our nephew David died by suicide, so sad. His son is now in 2nd grade, such a bright and sweet boy. 
No plans for today. I did a mile on the exercise bike, have to get my legs stronger. 

9/02/2024 9:42 am  #13

Good Morning to everyone!!  It is quite dark here this morning, not a sign of the sun.  I have no plans for the day, will just lay around, watching TV.  I have no energy so will just sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

9/02/2024 2:30 pm  #14

Emily and I had a wonderful time yesterday. The Titanic Exhibition was quite different than the one in Pigeon Forge, but they both were great. This one had a lot more posters up with more info. There were three classes of passengers on board. I didn't know there was different dinnerware for each class. The 3rd Class passengers didn't have toilets, but chamber pots instead. So sad the Californian was only 20 miles away and the radio operator went to bed before the Titanic distress signal was sent out. That was quickly changed to 24 hour radio operators on all ships. The next exhibition will be Van Gogh. That would be interesting as well.

Judy, I replied to your PM.

Carol, good luck on the upcoming cataract surgery.

Trish, I did get a pair of Hoka shoes! I love them. What I mean by "not old lady shoes" is some of them have so many different colors! I did get a pair that are light gray. I've never paid this much for a pair of shoes, but if they help my feet, well worth every penny! I tried on a pair of New Balance 860 Fresh Foam that I loved as well. I may get those later in black for winter. I wouldn't mind a light wind, but nothing strong. Would feel good about right now, lol. 

Cheryl, I always liked Dennys and wanted to go when we were in Las Vegas for breakfast, but I got out voted. Greg and Carter aren't big breakfast people. We were supposed to get one at the next exit. They had already put the furniture in, but it never materialized.

Last edited by DownSouth (9/02/2024 2:31 pm)

D e v o n n e

9/02/2024 11:20 pm  #15

CHERYL Denvers sounds like something I would like. Hope you had a good walk.

DEVONNE glad to hear your shoes are comfy, I looked them up, looks like joggers? I don't like Skechers, the soles seem to flatten out too much on me, maybe they've changed, I prefer my New balance or ASICS even. I go through joggers more now than I did, using them to do classes wears them out more easily. 

HOLLY hope you had a good Labor day, seems funny to type it without the LaboUr in it. Our union leaders here are in trouble, so many of them have been caught out - they have been either turning a blind eye to things, or using mates to do jobs. A few have been sacked from the major positions and more to come, about time, it's been common knowledge they have been "cooking the books" so to speak.

SANDRA fresh tomatoes sound good, nothing like the flavour in home grown ones, delish! I love that season coming up for us. Funny story, Gary & Megan have cleaners come every 2 weeks, Gary had left a bowl of the cherry toms out on the bench, he's left things before for them, they must have thought these were too, so they came home to an empty bowl, they are Japanese and their English is really poor, he has to remember to put the tomatoes away on cleaning day if he wants them LOL

I had my new coffee machine delivered, my little cheap one works fine, but my Delonghi gave up, it's my GOOD machine, I ordered on Amazon yesterday and have already brewed my first cup, it works well. Hopefully it will for a while, I gave up on the ground coffee beans, and got a pod machine. The ground coffee is so expensive now, the good stuff is around $20 or more per lb. I also have the milk frother with this new one, I don't have to use a jug and hold it under steam, it just whizzes around, and the milk AND coffee were hot. 

I did my grocery order as well last night, picked it up on the way home from training. So all my unpacking is done. It's nice to have the order picked for me when I have a lot to get, and way better than walking the store and then unloading to be scanned. 

It's quite cold here today, I have a sweater on, weird after the last few days of strong winds and the ones before that of high heat! My poor camellias and azaleas don't know what to do LOL And the winter bulb plants have no idea what's going on! They have not flowered much this year, it's been too wet and mild. They are very lush though.

Time to get myself organised, I want to do another week of my Temp quilt, i am up to 2nd week of June now, so not too far behind.

Last edited by tricia-anne (9/02/2024 11:22 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

9/03/2024 5:19 am  #16

This is turning into our worse trip ever.

9/03/2024 8:28 am  #17

After my kids bragged about what levels they’d attained in a video game, I decided to give it a try. Soon, it was my turn to boast that, in spite of being a newbie, I’d already managed to get to level 11. That’s when my youngest son pointed out that the “11” I was seeing on the screen was actually the game’s pause button.

SUNSHINE AND COOLER TEMPS HERE.  LOVELY.
DEVONNE.......I AM GLAD YOU AND EMILY ENJOYED YOUR TITANIC VISIT.  ITS ALWAYS NICE TO GET OUT AND SEE NEW THINGS.  
ITS TRUE.  AFTER EVERY MAJOR DISASTER, AIR OR SEA, THEY MAKE CHANGES FOR THE BETTER.  TRAVELING IS MUCH SAFER THESE DAYS THAN EVER BEFORE.

CHERYL........I HOPE YOU GOT OUT FOR YOUR INTENDED HIKE AND ENJOYED IT.  ITS GOOD TO GET OUT WHEN YOU CAN.
I HAVEN'T BEEN TO DENNY'S FOR A LOT OF YEARS.  THIS MONTH DENNY'S IS MATCHING A HALF MILLION DOLLARS FOR ALL DONATIONS TO ST. JUDE'S.  ITS ONE OF MY FAVES SO I SENT IN MY SMALL CHECK THIS WEEK.  I CAN'T DONATE A LOT WITH MY SMALL INCOME BUT I MANAGE A BIT HERE AND THERE FOR MY FEW FAVORITES.  ST JUDE'S IS ONE OF THEM.

TRISH......GOSH, A NEW COFFEE MAKER.  I CAN'T IMAGINE HAVING ONE OF THOSE WITH ALL THE CHOICES THESE DAYS.  I GAVE UP DRINKING COFFEE WHEN I GAVE UP CIGARETTES MANY EONS AGO SINCE THEY WENT TOO WELL TOGETHER.  BUT ALSO, COFFEE GIVES ME THE JITTERS WHICH I DON'T LIKE AT ALL.  THE COFFEEMAKERS THESE DAYS TAKE AN MBA TO OPERATE.

PLANS FOR TODAY ARE A CHICKEN CASSEROLE OF SOME SORT.  I HAVE 5 RECIPES OUT ON WHICH TO PONDER.  WILL MAKE MY DECISION FOR SUPPERTIME. I STILL HAVE STEAK AND MASHED LEFTOVER FROM YESTERDAY TO FINISH UP TODAY.  
MY LIBRARIAN JUST DROPPED IN TO LEAVE MY NEW BOOKS FORT THIS MONTH.  I HAD ASKED FOR ONLY 1 A MONTH NOW SINCE DAU COLL BROUGHT ME SO MANY BOOKS LAST TIME SHE VISITED.  LO AND BEHOLD SHE BROUGHT ME 7 TODAY.  I WILL PHONE HER AND LEAVE A MESSAGE BEFORE THE NEXT DELIVERY. TODAY I GAVE HER SEVERAL I FINISHED WHICH I GOT FROM MY DAU FOR THEIR SHELVES OR THE BOOK SALE THEY HAVE NOW AND THEN.  SHE WAS PLEASED TO GET THEM.

WISHIN YOU ALL A GOOD DAY.  HUGS FOR ALL, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (9/03/2024 8:44 am)

9/03/2024 8:37 am  #18

Trish, Unions can be great, you can’t be fired for no reason, and they negotiate salaries. At one point I was in 2 at once, one for the hospital and one for the school. Some of our states are “ right to work” which means employers can do what they want, and of course they are anti union. My union is the reason I have a good pension and benefits for us both in my retirement. 
Ralph and Heather are off doing a walk for suicide in memory of our nephew David. The house cleaner is here, so I stayed home. It’s really chilly, which feels good!
My granddaughter Julianna started her senior year of high school today! Her brother starts his junior year of college on Thursday.

9/03/2024 8:51 am  #19

FLYING TIP........ALWAYS CARRY A TENNIS BALL IN YOUR CARRY-ON LUGGAGE.  SOMETIMES YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO WALK AS MUCH AS YOU'D LIKE ON A PLANE TO PREVENT CIRCULATION/HEALTH PROBLEMS, SO THIS IS A MUST.
Rolling a tennis ball along your body loosens up stiff muscles and stimulates blood flow. It’s practically the ultimate on-the-go self-massage you never knew you needed. Not only are tennis balls are compact enough to fit into a small bag, but using one during a flight won’t bother your neighbors, either.

I HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL TO THOSE THAT FLY.
HUGS, QB S

Last edited by quiltbea (9/03/2024 8:52 am)

9/03/2024 9:16 am  #20

Trish, I got the breeze this morning I wanted. It felt so good and I was able to do some work on the patio...not finished yet!

A union saved Billy's job once. He paid union dues every paycheck.

Gary is headed over to put antifreeze in my vehicle, then we're going to lunch.

Holly, they will both be out of school in no time. Carter is in the 7th grade. So hard to believe it...time is flying by!

D e v o n n e

Board footera