OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/29/2024 3:39 pm  #41

Re: ODT SUNDAY AUGUST 25 ~ SAT AUGUST 31

Devonne, I’ve worked in a lot of schools without AC. People love to vote against school budgets. I’m glad your biopsy is done. 

Ralph got home early from breakfast with the Veterans, so we went to Sam’s Club. It’s been two months since we were there. 

I’m reading a good cozy mystery series called the bake shop mysteries by Ellie Alexander, set in Ashland, OR. Well written, no canoodling for those that it matters to. Can be read in any order, though there is character development. 

Another hot and humid one, not as bad as the last few days. Glacier Park got snow, yikes! 

8/30/2024 6:10 am  #42

I had a bad night, couldn't get comfortable. I was up several times during the night and stayed up at 7:30. I'm going to have lunch with Gary today.

Janet, I had missed your message about where you were going, but I just saw it. Have a good trip! 

D e v o n n e

8/30/2024 9:30 am  #43

On a fishing trip to a remote lake in Northern Quebec, I asked the outfitter, “Do you stay here during the winter?” “No,” he said. “The snow gets too deep. We can’t get supplies in. Like many Canadians, I go south for the winter.” “Oh,” I said. “Where do you go?” “Vermont.”

I'M TIRED.  STAYED UP TIL 5 AM READING A MYSTERY.  HATE TO PUT THOSE DOWN.  SLEPT TIL 8:30 THEN UP FOR THE DAY.  I AM SURE I WILL NEED A NAP SOMETIME SOON.  TIRED ALREADY. HENCE, NO REAL PLANS FOR THE DAY EXCEPT VEGGIE BEEF SOUP.
I MADE APPLE CAKE YESTERDAY AND SHARED WITH 3 OTHERS.  I CAN'T EAT IT ALL MYSELF.

NOTHING PLANNED TODAY.  WILL PLAY IT BY EAR AND ENERGY.  HAVE A GOOD DAY LADIES.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/30/2024 9:35 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

8/30/2024 9:39 am  #44

Good Morning, it is 8:30 and I am up and dressed.  Breakfast is on the counter in front of me.  I believe Rhonda will be over soon, can't remember why!!  My mind just doesn't work too well any more, so can't recall why!  Coffee tastes good this morning and I have breakfast balls here too.

Believe Tracy and Jamie will be over tonight or tomorrow.  Lawn needs mowing and Jamie takes care of that.  Really nice to have someone who takes care.  Just took my first bite of breakfast balls, they taste so good!!

It is so still out this morning, not a leaf is stirring.  I really don't have any thing else to say, so will sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

8/30/2024 10:10 am  #45

Nice to catch up with everyone.  Howard is off soon for lunch with Dave.  Yippee!  I'm tired after 3 nights of poor sleep, so I'll probably do only what I wish which won't be work.  
Had my 6 mo. cardio appt., yesterday.  All is well except b/p was a bit high.  He's not going to change anything, though, blaming the poor sleep and stress at this time.

Stress because Wednesday we had the vet visit for Fancy and it's time.  She can barely walk, needs help to get on her feet.  She's declined gradually  over several years and the doc used the word "struggling".  We can barely deal with it, but must.  We can take her when we are ready, ourselves, which will probably be next Tuesday.   Due to her own decline, she needs more care and we are both  worn out caring for her and there's two of us to do it.     And cold weather is coming.  She'll be 15 1/2 next month.    There won't be another dog.  

Our 46th anniversary is Sunday.  Maybe we'll get a pizza.  Nothing else this time.  ML and Bill are going to see Andrew that day,coming home the same day but we're all not doing anything for Labor Day.  Just quiet, reflective days at home.  

Devonne, that seems reasonable, but we do enjoy going to each other's homes and the hostess is only responsible for the entree...and the house.   The others bring the rest.  In my case, much as I dither and fuss about it, it's good for me to be forced to prepare, clean up and be hospitable.  And, I'm finally committed to keeping up the house between times.  Otherwise, everything slips bit by bit.  Except for Howard, we are all in our 80s so who knows how long we'll be able to keep on. 

Going to go and make some calls while he's gone.  I just enjoy the freedom of having the house to myself for a bit.    Have a good day...
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (8/30/2024 10:13 am)

8/30/2024 4:46 pm  #46

We are getting some much needed rain. Sounds so good!

I'm going over Greg's house tomorrow. We are going shoe shopping and he is my chauffeur. He knows where all the good stores are in his area. My orthopedist has recommended Hoka or Altra shoes. They don't look like they're for an elderly lady, lol. 

Emily asked me to go to the Titanic Expo in Atlanta on Sunday. Just she and I are going. I'm a huge Titanic fan, so yes I want to go!  I don't see Emily much, so this will be a nice get together for us. 

Last edited by DownSouth (8/30/2024 4:48 pm)

D e v o n n e

8/30/2024 8:16 pm  #47

Devonne, I recently celebrated my 79th birthday so I am definitely an elderly woman and I have a pair of Hokas. I love them!  My plan was that they would only be for exercise class but I almost always put them on any time I expect to be on my feet for an extended time, such as shopping.

Last edited by Pvillelou (8/30/2024 10:25 pm)

8/31/2024 5:49 am  #48

I wear New Balance sneakers because they come in narrow widths.  I buy them from Zappos on line.
   The packing is finally done, except the cooler so my chocolate doesn’t melt, lol.  We all have our priorities.  Here’s the count…4 bags of clothes, 1 bag of gym clothes and sneakers, 2 cosmetic bags (I could fit mine in a large ziploc.  A small box for his protein powders, oatmeal, beet powder, pb powder, etc.  Water. A Keurig mini. And assorted small stuff like hats, sweatshirts which I keep on the back seat.
Oh, yes and 409, windex, paper towels…DH is a clean freak. (This is a 12 day trip) so you can see we could never fly anywhere. Ha
   Now, to see if the Edge holds as much as the Rav did. 😵‍💫🤔

Devonne - I like the Rav better than the Edge.  It has great visibility, the Edge doesn’t.  I dislike all the electronics, there’s always something beeping and warning, etc.  I’m not good at using the cameras.  The Rav was a 6 cylinder with plenty of power.  The Edge is 4 with some kind of turbo thing that doesn’t kick in immediately. 
The Edge requires Premium gas’s…cost me $55 yesterday to fill it.  Let’s just say it was forced on me by DH and leave it at that.
    So instead of getting an early start, DH had to go down to our gym to work out first. 😡 so we probably won’t get to our hotel til about 11pm.  Then tomorrow, we’ll finish the ride.  We don’t usually stop, but age has caught up with him.  It’s a 12+ hour drive with out stops. 
    And did I mention all he’s done this week is complain?

8/31/2024 7:41 am  #49

Judy, I’m so sorry. I’d encourage you to stay with her, we did with Sly. They gave him a shot, and I sat and cuddled him til he passed, then we cried. I know he knew we were there. 

Got up for a bathroom trip at 6, was walking and lost my balance and went sideways, ended up on the floor. Can’t kneel because of my knee replacements. Ralph brought in a kitchen chair and sort of boosted me til I could get my feet under me and get up. I don’t have the leg strength I used to! He just ordered a lifting chair thing, if you can scoot onto it, it had a plug and it lifts you up like a chair. It folds flat. 

8/31/2024 7:45 am  #50

Janet, my Caravans (I had 3 in a row!) had great windows in the back. My Hyundai Tucson does not. My brother loves his Edge, and I looked at one, but the salesman annoyed me too much. Rav was on my list to look at, but I found the Tucson first. Have a great  trip! 

8/31/2024 8:44 am  #51

When the new activities director for the rec center walked in, all us retirees quickly took notice. She was 20-something, statuesque, and gorgeous. My buddy whispered, “She makes me wish I was 30 years older.” “Don’t you mean 30 years younger?” I asked. “No. If I were 30 years younger, I’d still never have a chance with a woman like that. If I were 30 years older, it wouldn’t bother me so much.”

WE ARE FINALLY EXPECTING SOME RAIN.  ITS ONLY CLOUDY RIGHT NOW.
MY SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK IS ALREADY IN THE BANK, THANKS TO THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND.  YIPPEE.

DEVONNE.......HAVE A GOOD TIME SHOPPING FOR SHOES.  SHOPPING FOR ONESELF IS ALWAYS A GOOD THING.  I HOPE YOU FIND SOMETHING YOU REALLY LIKE.
THAT TRIP ON SUNDAY SOUNDS GOOD.  A TIME FOR YOU AND YOUR DIL TO ENJOY.

JANET.......YOU SURE DO PACK A LOT.  HAVE A SAFE TRIP NORTH.

JUDY.....ITS A SAD TIME, LOSING FANCY.  SHE HAD A GOOD 15 YEARS WITH YOU BUT IT WOULD BE HARD NO MATTER THE LENGTH OF TIME TOGETHER.  THEY STEAL INTO OUR HEARTS AND ARE FAMILY.  HUGS.

CHERYL.....I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON WHERE ONE LIVES WHETHER THEY HAVE A/C OR NOT.  IN THE NORTH NONE OF THE SCHOOLS HAD A/C TIL RECENTLY.  NOW THEY BUILD THEM FULLY WITH HEAT AND AIR. 

HOLLY.....THAT LIFT CHAIR SOUNDS GOOD.  WOULD COME IN HANDY FOR ELDERS I THINK.  I KNOW I, TOO, COULD NOT GET UP IF I FELL.  WELL, ACTUALLY I HAVE FALLEN AND IT TOOK SEVERAL MINUTES TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET UP WITH THE HELP OF FURNITURE BESIDE ME. ITS ALWAYS THE KNEES.
MANY OF US WHO GET OLDER HAVE BALANCE ISSUES.  I KNOW I AM ULTRA CAREFUL AROUND THE HOUSE EVEN WHEN I AM FEELING TOP-NOTCH.  YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THAT FALL COMES ALONG.

WISHING YOU ALL A GOOD DAY.  BE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH FOOD FOR THE LONG WEEKEND.
HUGS FOR ALL, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/31/2024 8:55 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

8/31/2024 9:16 am  #52

Loved reading about the falls, I walk with a walker, so the chances are slimmer, but I'd be in a mess if I fell.  The walker is great, I have every- thing I really need most of the time.  Keep a box of tissues, some hand cream, lipstick, lots of other things, really handy.

It is totally still outside this morning.  Tracy and Jamie are here, they came last night.  Both just got up and are outside right now.  Well, I really don't  have anything else to say this morning so will sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

8/31/2024 1:01 pm  #53

I love my Edge!  It is the second one we have had. David has our first one (I think it is on its last legs now with lots and lots of miles on it) and they like it a lot. Our grandson liked it so much that he bought one.  One of the few things I do not like about it is poor visibility when backing but the backup camera helps tremendously.  It must be a different model than Janet’s because it does not require premium gas. It is 8 years old but only has about 45,000 miles on it. We have always been diligent about maintenance so I expect it to last me a while longer.

Board footera