OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/27/2024 5:05 am  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY AUGUST 25 ~ SAT AUGUST 31

Gas here (high test/premiun) was $3.84 here and $4.05 in PA. We are heading to upstate NY on Saturday and it’s usually about 65 cents higher than PA. Expensive trip…between gas and lodging for 2 weeks (about $4000) plus food.

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/28/2024 2:47 am)

8/27/2024 7:32 am  #22

Trish, I was not at all offended, they are old in childbearing terms. My brother told me they used IVF, which her sister also had to use. Lucky we live where we do. 

Janet, do you think you pay so much on trips due to being near major highways? I know here, the gas stations right off the expressways are up to 50 cents more per gallon than in my town. Yikes, that’s an expensive trip! 

My PacNW girls are talking about a family cruise, either Alaska or Canada/New England. Since for either one, half the family would have to fly cross country, and Heather and Ed hate to fly, I’ll just wait til they make a decision and won’t weigh in on it. 

8/27/2024 9:21 am  #23

A patient came to the hospital with a burned right hand. As the doctor took down his medical history, he asked the injured man, "Do you smoke?""Yeah, a pack and a half a day," said the patient. Concerned, the doctor told him, "You should consider quitting." "No, it's OK," said the patient. "I smoke with my left hand."

SPEAKING OF HIGH GAS PRICES, WHEN WE USED TO DRIVE FROM FLA TO MAINE AND VICE VERSA WE ALWAYS NOTICED THE PRICES FOR GAS WERE MUCH HIGHER ALONG I-95.  IF YOU TRAVELED OFF THE HIGHWAY THE PRICE WAS MUCH LOWER.

TRISH....GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE SEEMING TO IMPROVE AFTER YOUR TRIP.  I AM SURE THAT'S ALL IT WAS, THE TRIP WAS TIRING AND NOT A SPARE MOMENT TO REALLY REST.  NOW YOU ARE FINALLY GETTING BACK INTO GEAR.

I THINK MASHED TATERS ARE ON MY MENU TODAY.  I HUNTED FOR MY RICER TO MAKE IT EASIER TO 'MASH' THEM.  TOOK A WHILE BUT FOUND IT IN THE BACK OF A LOWER CUPBOARD.  WILL TRY RICING THEM TODAY.   I ALSO THINK APPLE CAKE SOUNDS GOOD.  I GOT SOME FINE GRANNY APPLES LAST WEEK.  THEY NEED USING.

THIS MORNING ITS YOGURT FOR BREAKFAST.  I READ ONLINE, READER'S DIGEST, THE HEALTHY I THINK, THAT EATING COTTAGE CHEESE DOES AS GOOD A JOB AS YOGURT FOR YOUR TUMMY'S REGULARITY SO I THINK I WILL GO THAT ROUTE WHEN MY YOGURTS ARE FINISHED.  I AM NOT A FAN OF EITHER THE FRUITY ONES NOR THE PLAIN VANILLA.  I CAN BARELY EAT A WHOLE TINY CARTON FOR A MEAL.

NICE DAY HERE.  SUNSHINE AND LOVELY TEMPS.  WE ARE BLESSED.   

ORDERED A NEW SET OF BINGO BALLS.  THE COMPANY CONTACTED ME TO MAKE IT RIGHT.  TO BE HONEST, I THINK I JUST MISUNDERSTOOD THE WORDING OF THE AD.  MY FAULT.  I BLAME IT ON AGE.  I WAS THE ONLY NEGATIVE CUSTOMER LISTED.  BUT ANYWAY THE NEW BALLS, A WHOLE SET, IS ORDERED AND AT NEARLY HALF THE PRICE SINCE I CHANGED MY NEGATIVE FEEDBACK TO POSITIVE.  I'LL HAVE TO BE MORE CAREFUL IN READING FUTURE ADS I GUESS.

THAT'S IT LADIES. NOTHING NEW OR PRESSING.  I AM DOING A LOT OF READING AND LITTLE HOUSECLEANING.  JUST WHAT REALLY NEEDS DOING.  I PREFER TO COOK.
HAVE A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/27/2024 9:35 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

8/27/2024 9:26 am  #24

Good Morning to everyone!!  The sun is just starting to come out, so pretty.  Frank was sleeping when I checked, so I'll leave him alone.  He was likely awake during the night.  It is 8:20 here right now.

I really don't have anything to say to anyone right now, so will just sign off and wish you all well.  Have a wonderful day, BJ.

8/27/2024 10:25 am  #25

QB, I'm not crazy about yogurt, either.  Like cottage cheese much better.  It's hard to make yourself eat anything that doesn't get better tasting for you.  

Well...I guess we need to looking into keepers!  Today, I called the vet's office to verify Fancy's  appt. time.  I was told it's tomorrow!  OKAY...I was sure my cardio appt. was tomorrow.  So it was suggested I call them first and then call the vet back before we make a new appt.  Called the cardio.  My appt. there is on Thursday, not tomorrow.  So a call back to the vet to say we'll be there tomorrow, INDEED!    How does one get TWO appt. days, not the time but the day, wrong??    So with the high temp going to be in the 90s with a "feels like" over 100, I'm hoping Howard will power wash the house.  I have to leave the timing of outside work up to him, otherwise, he can turn  into Mr. Hyde.... 

Yesterday, we drug ourselves out of here and went to the biggest farmer's market near here.  When we pulled in, we saw a mini-bus of nursing home residents being unloaded with their canes and walkers, bless their hearts.  So, since I'd been there the week before and knew exactly what I wanted, I hurried in so I could get ahead of them to checkout.  (Howard and Fancy were waiting in the car.)  I got a burly young man to lift a 1/2 bushel of canning tomatoes into my cart.   No canning, but we love them so much, we just eat them.    They look very nice.  Need a few days to be perfectly ripened. And I might  roast and freeze,ala QB, a few of them  Got zucchini, eggplants, pickles, Mich. peaches and for a treat, an apple donut for each of us.  The old folks had to be back in their bus in an hour, so I didn't selfishly barge ahead of any of them.  

Trish, I guess this just shows how really exhausting traveling  is especially when you have to keep up with a planned tour.  Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to go somewhere and stay put for awhile and adapt to the local time, etc.  I read a book by Susan Branch where that's what she was able to do.  Sorry your hubby is giving you fits.  I'm glad, too, that he has bowls!  

I'm fit to be tied!  We had our eye appts. on August 7.  It's is now the 27th and still no new glasses.  We've called twice and they just haven't come in.  We're not desperate, but wonder what the long delay is about.  We love our doctor and his employees are competent and nice as pie, but... 

An interesting example of cost of traveling:    ML talked with a man she knows and he told her about his and his wife's Amtrack trip, out and back to Seattle, to visit family.  They had tiny quarters, one step up from coach, with no private bathroom but the use of facilities with showers for two nights  and all their meals. While expensive enough, he figured it out and it only cost $100 more than it would have cost them for hotels, gas, and meals for the 4 days on the road if they'd driven as  before...plus the wear and tear on the car and the fatigue of a drive like that. They had a bit of trouble sleeping, not because of the whistles, but just the train noise.  However, hey were quite satisfied.  Said next time, they'd fly out, so as to arrive fresh, but would take the Amtrack back.  There's always something new to hear about and learn about...

Happy to hear about the new baby, coming, Holly.  That vacation sounds wonderful.  Do YOU have a preference?  I think you've done both trips before, maybe just you and Ralph??  People who used to just fear flying before, hate it now with all the hoopla involved.  Howard thanks his lucky stars that his flying days are over and that was long before 9-11.  He flew quite often for ten years of working where he did before the mill.

We both like casseroles.  Any kind for all the reasons some of you have said.   Cassie's, stews, soups, anything in the crock pot.  And anything on the grill of which Howard does all the grilling.  That's still unbelievable to me.  While never a cook, I think he likes to do it.  I always praise him, genuinely, for his perfectly grilled meats while I fool with the other stuff.  I used to have to dart in and out plus put the sides together.  Well, I couldn't even do that, now, so...

Off to take advantage of my ineptitude which allows another "home" day.  Have a good one...
Indy 

Last edited by indyanny (8/27/2024 10:35 am)

8/28/2024 2:50 am  #26

I wish I had your prices for fuel, ours is about $8.50 per gallon in comparison!! And I had a near empty tank today, so had to fill it, at least it doesn't take too much to fill LOL

INDY sorry about the mixup, it happens to all of us, and THANK YOU I feel better this week, I never sleep well, so getting  some regular is helping. It WAS a big trip, and we are getting older. Saw a lot though and it was a good trip regardless of all the little things that went wrong.

SANDRA that was so nice of you to get the new bingo balls, also nice you redid your review, they would be glad of that. Hope you get them soon!

Nothing much happening here today, went to the blood Drs, all good there, and I ordered some Znoud El Sit, a Lebanese pastry I guess you'd call it, they seem the get them in fresh for Fathers Day weekend, which is Sunday here. So it's more a mothers treat, one - we don't have to make it, two, Megan the boys and I love it! Really bad for me, but too bad --  a treat now and then is good.

I have been playing in the sewing room, getting my Temp quilt things organised, then the Mr brought Dean's long pants home, there was a tear in the behind, fixed it, thought I'd check them over - just in case, YEP another tear near the pocket on the waistband, AND on the seam of the pocket.
What those boys get up to in school - yikes, they pull each others clothes while 'playing' I have seen them, they play rough but enjoy it! 

I told Megan to order more, these won't stand another tug'o'war. The are old ones of John's anyway so no big loss. 
So that put a stop to my sewing squares, I had to change thread, and couldn't be bothered after that. 

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/28/2024 3:01 am)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/28/2024 7:35 am  #27

We have our new glasses!  I called again and was told they called us and left a message on Aug. 20!!  I checked the call record of the house phone--no call from them on that date.  When we got there, Howard asked (nicely) what phone number was called?  It was HIS cell phone.  He thinks he probably didn't answer a call whose number he didn't recognize.  Geez Louise!  A whole week more we waited.  Oh well, I'm just glad and more glad it wasn't MY fault.  So, on the way home, we drove to ML's to show off our new specs.  She approved and like them.  

We had a humdinger of a storm last night.  We needed the rain but not the loss of power and satellite.  The generator kicked in again  sometime and was running at 2 am til 3 am while I was awake.     Electric co. e-mailed Howard and said it was a tree that interrupted power which was back on when we got up.  More storms forcasted for today...

Time for me to get our breakfast, get dressed and get to that vet appt. at 10:30.
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (8/28/2024 7:40 am)

8/28/2024 9:23 am  #28

I just love reading this board, hearing what everyone is doing.  It's just a nice way to start my day!  The sun is shining, but it is totally still.  It is 8:20 here, nothing going on!!

I have no plans for the day, so will likely watch TV most of the day.  Well, guess it's time to sign off, as I have nothing more to say, have a wonderful day, everyone, BJ.

8/28/2024 9:50 am  #29

A college girl was visiting my farm and noticed the ring in our bull's nose. Intrigued, she asked, "Did you put that ring in his nose or was he born that way?"

ANOTHER GORGEOUS DAY IN MAINE.

BINGO TONITE.  I AM EAGER AS USUAL.  LOVE GETTING TOGETHER WITH THE GIRLS.  I HOPE I WIN A BIT, TOO.
NEVER MADE THE APPLE CAKE YESTERDAY.  I TOOK A NAP BEFORE SUPPER AND WHEN I WOKE UP I JUST DID NOT FEEL LIKE COOKING ANYTHING.  I AM GLAD I HAD THE MASHED ALREADY DONE.  I HAD MADE PLENTY OF MASHED FOR LEFTOVERS AND IT WAS NICE AND SMOOTH THRU THE RICER.  I WILL DO THAT AGAIN I'M SURE.  PRESSING THE RICER TOOK  A BIT OF ENERGY, SO ITS ACTUALLY TOUGHER FOR ME THAN MASHING.  YES, THIS OLD LADY IS GETTING SO WEAK.  I WILL HAVE TO INCREASE MY ARM EXERCISES I THINK.
I DO NOT DO MUCH CLEANING ON BINGO DAY.  I WANT TO BE FRESH AS A DAISY BY BINGO TIME.  ANOTHER GOOD EXCUSE TO PASS ON THE HOUSECLEANING.

I WISH YOU ALL A FINE DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/28/2024 10:00 am)

8/28/2024 10:16 am  #30

Judy- sorry for the eye glass delay….thats exactly why I have my cell number on every account….even his drs.
We dropped off the Rav at our Automotive shop for them to sell it. They get 10% of the selling price. Worth it not to have to deal with people. He says it should sell quickly. I felt bad as it was the only car I drove for 14 years. If I had to pick Rav or the new Edge, I’d keep the Rav.
Trying to get ready for vacation. We’re leaving Sat morning for almost 2 weeks and guess who hasn’t done a thing about packing? Yup, you guessed it. I finally unpacked his bag from this past weekend’s trip.
Oh well.

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/28/2024 8:10 pm)

8/28/2024 2:53 pm  #31

Had my 6 months mammogram today. He didn't like what he saw on the mammogram, so I had an ultrasound done. There's another black spot that showed up. Another biopsy tomorrow at 2:00.

I'm so tired so I'm off to rest. I got a lot done this morning before I left....shampooed the living room carpet, hand washed some dishes, took a shower and made the bed. 

D e v o n n e

8/28/2024 2:58 pm  #32

There’s a quilt pattern I’d like to buy but it is only available as a pdf. They say they email a link. I have no idea how to download it to my iPad and how do I retrieve it ?
Any help here?

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/28/2024 8:09 pm)

8/28/2024 4:10 pm  #33

Janet, when I buy a pattern in pdf, I use the desktop and save it to the desktop and also to a flash drive, as well as printing it. On the iPad, use the little symbol on the top right that is a square with an arrow coming out the top, and you can save to the home screen. Some patterns limit the number of times you can access the pdf, so you really need to save it. Once it’s on the home screen, you can access it whenever you want to.
Edit- I asked Ralph, and he said to open the pdf in the email, then save it to the iPad as above. That way, you save the pattern, not just the link.

Last edited by Holly in South Jersey (8/28/2024 4:34 pm)

8/28/2024 8:24 pm  #34

DEVONNE best wishes for your test ((((hugs)))) seems you have had this done before so you know what to expect!

SANDRA know you love your mash, in Ireland you would be happy as a pig in mud, we had HUGE servings every night delivered as our side veg, with other things. I on the other hand am missing my Irish coffee, I made it here with scotch whisky, but it wasn't the same, I need a bottle of Jamesons, and I don't want to buy one just for the occasional Irish coffee ! 
Who knew the last would make so much difference.

JANET what HOLLY said  LOL  I open the PDF  on the email, the little icon will appear on top right, click on it, from there I usually send it to the printer, we can do that, or you can save it in documents or on the home page/desktop. If all else fails ask them to print and send you a copy. I don't usually save them after I print it. 

I went to class today, it was hot and it was tough, I couldn't finish all the exercises, so rested a bit. I will feel it tonight, I was feeling confident after Tuesday, but seems I'm not back yet LOL

INDY sorry about the glasses, ours send a text always, I don't answer unknown calls either, but I do listen to a message if they leave one. I want new glasses, I have an appt with the eye Dr in Oct, it isn't so far away, so I'll wait I guess, I want to bring forward the cataract surgery. Harder to drive now at dusk OR with lights on.

The Mr and I have come to an understanding of sorts and will call truce for now, he just can't understand what I'm trying to tell him. And I know that, so we'll see how it goes. Patience. patience.

I want to get the last of the cutting done on my temp strips, I just need to cut them into 1 1/2" squares, I guess we are in warmer numbers again now, crazy winter we have had, it's didn't get really cold for too long, and I missed some as well. I could have got away with 1 of the 1 1/2" strips for the lower temps - you can't buy that much anyway, now  have to find a use for the rest of the 1/2 metre I bought - in 4 colours  LOL Plus the high one as well, won't use much of that either.

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/28/2024 8:27 pm  #35

Forgot to comment about the yoghurt, I dislike the flavoured ones, although I like the plain coconut one as well as greek yoghurt, they served an apricot one for breakfast on one flight, I almost spat it out - yuk! tasted almost off to me, the Mr loved it - go figure! Love cottage cheese as well, and ricotta. 

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/29/2024 6:24 am  #36

Thanks girls for the PDF info.  I may give it a try later…
Overslept today so will skip the gym and get to packing for our trip.  Two weeks is a lot of clothes to pack.  Trish I would never be able to do a trip like yours for so long.
   Mr Hyde has still not gotten into pack mode.  All I want him to do is put his stuff on the bed and I actually pack it. 
   Holly…those are the prices all over…highway or local.

8/29/2024 9:25 am  #37

My boss arrived at work in a brand-new Lamborghini. "Wow," I said. "That's an amazing car." He replied, "If you work hard, put all your hours in, and strive for excellence, I'll get another one next year."

ANOTHER GOEGEOUS DAY.  I HOPE THERESA HAS ENJOYED HER MAINE VISIT.  THE WEATHER HERE HAS BEEN LOVELY FOR A TYPICAL SUMMER.
I DIDN'T DO MUCH YESTERDAY BUT I FEEL BETTER TODAY.  I THINK I SHOULD DO WHAT I PLAN BEFORE MY ENERGY RUNS OUT.  THAT APPLE CAKE IS CALLING AND I WANT TO MAKE A BLT FOR LUNCH.  HAPPILY I GOT MY LAPS IN THIS MORNING.  MY BOOK, A MYSTERY, IS CALLING ME BUT I WILL PUT THAT DOWN FOR A BIT.  CHORES NEED DOING.
I WON 2 BUCKS AT BINGO LAST NITE SO THAT'S A GOOD NITE FOR ME.  ANYTIME I WIN A BIT, I'M VERY HAPPY.  EVERYONE WON AT LEAST ONE GAME.  

JANET.......I HOPE YOUR RAV SELLS.  I AGREE WITH YOU ON LETTING A DEALER DO THE LEG WORK.  ITS WORTH THE 10% THEY CHARGE NOT TO DEAL WITH THE PUBLIC.

TRISH......IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE GETTING YOUR ENERGY BACK.  YOU HAVE A TOUGH EXERCISE PROGRAM SO ITS BOUND TO BE A LITTLE TIRING THE FIRST FEW TIMES.

DEVONNE......GOOD LUCK TO YOU TODAY.  CROSSING MY FINGERS AND MY TOES.

LINDA........I HOPE YOUR DAY IMPROVES.  I KNOW YOU HAVE YOUR BAD DAYS BUT LUCKY YOU TO HAVE A SON THAT CARES AND HELPS.  THOSE KIND OF SONS CAN BE RARE.

THAT'S IT LADIES.  HUGS FOR ALL

Last edited by quiltbea (8/29/2024 9:36 am)

8/29/2024 10:20 am  #38

Good Morning to everyone!!  It is a lovely day here today, the sun is out and the trees are all still!  Love it!!!  Rhonda will be over after awhile, that will be nice.  I have no plans for the day, don't have the energy to do anything!!

I hope everyone is doing well.  Lovely to hear from so many of you.  My head isn't doing well today, so will just rest.  Have a lovely day, BJ.

8/29/2024 11:28 am  #39

Good afternoon all,

Amelia had two days off from school due to the extreme heat and humidity.  It was 92 and felt like 100.  Her school building is old and does not have AC, so the kids and staff were off.  Gabriel is in the HS and it is new and has AC.  Today is much better and the weekend is supposed to be only in the low 70's so much cooler.

Dean's brother is back in the  hospital; they cannot seem to get his blood pressure and sugar to behave.  Not sure why so more tests today.  He does OK in hospital, goes home for a few days and gets out of whack again.  He is tired of being in hospital.

I finished a couple of scrap/rag quilts to donate to the local animal shelter.  They are ugly  but the dogs will not care.   I used up a lot of scrap pieces and just put some flannel in the middle so no batting.  I also have a stack of older towels to give them.  I just need to drive there and it is almost 40 minutes away but will do it next week.

Gas is not terrible here, around $3.49 to $3.69 for regular not premium.
It was down to $3.18 so we filled the car and truck but now it is back up in price.

Janet, I agree with not having to deal with people to sell a car.  We just sold the camper and hated having people come to my house, but it was just too much to pull it to the local police station and set it up.  Dean sells a lot of stuff on facebook marketplace but he always  meets at the police station here.  They are wonderful about it and have an area set up for people to use.

I have the fixings for a nice salad for supper so I think I will also make spaghetti and meatballs since Aaron and his kids will be here to eat.  I also have some frozen garlic bread.  I used to make homemade but the family likes the frozen, so yeah for me, no work. 

Sending well wishes for all and a special one to BJ, hope your head is better soon.

8/29/2024 2:18 pm  #40

Cheryl, I'm surprised not all schools have A/C. Good luck to Dean's brother. I'm making a salad for dinner with apples, cranberries, walnuts & blue cheese.

Carol, how is your vision and how is school going?

My biopsy went well. He told me I would feel a sting from the shot. I remembered what it felt like...kinda like a bee sting. I have to wear the bandages for 3 days but he said I could shower. I go back Sept. 9th. Yes, Trish, I had this done last year....a different spot.

Janet, why do you prefer the Rav4 over the Edge? Where are you going on your vacation?

Sandra, any win is a good win. 

Judy, I can imagine you feel relieved after the get together. Would be easier on everyone if the group just met at the church and everyone brought something.

I am off to rest.

D e v o n n e

Board footera