OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/07/2024 3:47 am  #1

ODT SUNDAY AUGUST 25 ~ SAT AUGUST 31

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/24/2024 11:29 pm  #2

Re: ODT SUNDAY AUGUST 25 ~ SAT AUGUST 31

Thank you all for your kind words, and for your thoughts and prayers regarding J.

My brother & SIL, and their son-in-law are doing as well as can be expected. - As my brother pointed out, they (we) have grieved these long 5 months, 😢 all while praying for a miracle. 🙏🏻

Life is precious!  Guard it and protect it, and live it and enjoy it to the fullest! ❤️🤗🙏🏻

Have a wonderful week!

(((hugs!!!))) & prayers!     ~MnM~ aka Diane

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!" 

8/24/2024 11:42 pm  #3

DIANE I am so very sorry for your loss ((((hugs)))) she fought a long time, and I hope she has found peace at last

HOLLY lovely news for your family, new mums are getting older aren't they? Here as well, I can't imagine having a baby at that age, I had enough trouble coping with the boys for a couple days LOL Best wishes to them!

SANDRA that was a good win!! The friend who is an artist is very talented, that is another lovely pic. I envy that talent, I have trouble with stick figures. Enjoy your visit with Matt, I think he comes today?

DEVONNE I didn't know Crepe Myrtle came in white, have never seen one, I do love them, mine seems to be getting darker? Can that happen. We have quite a few in the neghbourhood, most are similar colours to mine and the pale pink.

CAROL get ready for it to be crowded in Scotland in August, I have never seen the UK quite as busy as it was!! And we have been before when there were big events on. It's just wall to wall people, will you fly directly to Edinburgh?

INDY I am definately having trouble after this trip, I am so tired all the tinme! But I only sleep for  a couple hours, and then not sleeping much again till early hours in the morning. I am relenting tonight and taking 1/2 sleeping tablet, and will do for a few nights in a row to hopefully break the habit my body clock seems to have got into LOL

I went grocery shopping this morning, my goodness things have gone up, I got lots of veg and some fruit, some chia seeds and coconut milk and a leg of lamb for a roast tonight, it will give us a couple meals, with all the veg as well. 

It's been a funny day with the weather today, been cloudy all day, yesterday was quite hot and was supposed to be today as well, but it got warm, not hot, at least I got the sheets dry.

Our neighbours came back from Croatia last night, they have been gone 3 months, have't seen them yet, but they have their curtains open this afternoon, they are probably catching up on sleep. She will be in the garden  tomorrow, she will be weeding and trimming LOL 

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/24/2024 11:48 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/25/2024 4:51 am  #4

Holly- I’ll check into that. Thanks

8/25/2024 10:44 am  #5

The CEO of a large corporation was giving advice to a junior executive. “I was young, married, and out of work,” he lectured. “I took the last nickel I had and bought an apple. I polished it and sold it for a dime. The next day I bought two apples, polished them, and sold them for ten cents each.”“I see,” said the junior executive. “You kept reinvesting your money and grew a big business.” “No,” said the CEO. “Then my wife’s father died and left me a fortune.”

ANOTHER LOVELY DAY HERE.  SHOULD HIT 81 TODAY BUT MOSTLY IN THE 70S.  WONDERFUL.

I HAVE TO REPORT ON MY LATEST CASSY, THE CHICKEN WITH TATER TOT, BACON AND CHEESE.  DEPLORABLE.  AT THE TIME I THOUGHT ITS TOO MUCH SOUR CREAM AND TOO MUCH CHEESE BUT THOUGHT THE CHEF MUST KNOW BEST.  I NEARLY REDUCED THOSE ITEMS BUT OPTED TO FOLLOW THE EXPERT'S ADVICE.  IT WAS JUST TOO MUCH OF BOTH.  NEEDLESS TO SAY I DID NOT SHARE THIS CASSY.  I WILL HAVE A COUPLE OF SMALL SERVINGS FOR LUNCH AFTER PULLING OUT SOME OF THE CHEESE OVERLOAD, AND THEN TOSS OUT THE REST.   THE RECIPE IS ALREADY IN THE TRASH.  ITS TURNED ME OFF THAT PARTICULAR ONE FOREVER.

AM DOING A LOT OF READING LATELY AND ENJOYING IT.  AND WATCHING SOME MYSTERIES ON TV.  ITS A WIN-WIN FOR ME.

ITS A DO-NOTHING DAY FOR ME BEING SUNDAY.  I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY.
HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/25/2024 10:57 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

8/25/2024 12:07 pm  #6

Sandra - sorry the casserole wasn’t good. We are not fans of casserole, except for baked ziti and lasagna…do they qualify as casseroles?  In fact except for those, I don’t think I’ve ever made one?

8/25/2024 12:52 pm  #7

I survived my company on Friday. ML came as usual and helped me with last minute things.  This time, I didn't freak out, had kept things up, mostly,  and she said it was like helping at Mom's--not much to do.   There were only 7 of us, down from a full crew of 12.  Better for my small house, though, I must say.  I did nothing, nada yesterday.   Figured I earned it.  

Diane, my deepest sympathy on the loss of your niece.  And to your Mom, J's husband, your  brother and  SIL. 
Too young and too soon for all of you, but she's at peace and rest.  

I thought I'd never be telling your about Lynne and Becky (my cousins), again.  Not so.  ML saw another of our cousins, the one who bought their property since it adjoins his mother's farm.  The person who has medical POA for Lynne, told him that Becky's ashes are still at the funeral home.  In thinking about the date, I realized she died two years ago today.  Of course, no one knows why the ashes are still there.    Perhaps Lynne forgot to pick them up, but  more likely, she doesn't have the money to do anything about this and I rather doubt she'd want an urn at her apt., anyway.
Cousin Bill told ML, there are two other graves for them next to their parents and that he'd buy a gravestone for Becky.  However, their brother and SIL, Judy & Warren who live in SC and who I'm in touch with often, have never mentioned one thing about this so I expect they think Lynne took care of it two years ago.  And they'll probably be the ones to follow this up.  Nothing's ever simple with Lynne and Becky!  

Trish, I guess as time passes, our bodies don't always respond as they once did, do they?  Since neither of you had to return to work when you got home, at least, you can just wait out the sleeplessness (with the sleep aid).  I have been having trouble with insomnia this week, too.  Not sure why since my gathering is over?  It can be a curse!  

I thought of and looked at all kinds of projects when 'my nose was to the grindstone' but now, of course, I can't think of them.  Needless to say, there are plenty of things that need attention here 'right under my nose'.  Devonne, I love the old sayings like these, and yours.  I've heard 'dead as a door nail', too.  I think we grew up in a time when old sayings were common.  

Going to go, read my book, the paper (when Howard gets it) and continue with my recuperation, better known as laziness!  Have a good evening and sweet dreams.
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (8/25/2024 1:01 pm)

8/25/2024 1:39 pm  #8

Nothing going on in my little part of the world.  A totally boring day for sure.  

Sandra sorry about your casserole.  We love casseroles here and I love one dish cooking.   I do try to make my own "canned soup" for the dishes instead of using the high sodium canned ones but other than that, casseroles it is.

Judy, family drama is a pain for sure.  We can pick our friends but not our relatives as my mom always said.

I made a spice cupcake with a brown sugar/caramel frosting.  I did not like the texture of the cake (too light and fluffy) and the frosting was very very sweet, but I do like it.  I could eat it with a spoon.  I used to buy Dean spiced cake bar from Nichols bakery but do not see them any longer.  I thought this would be it but it is not.  I did see a Spanish bar cake recipe and it sounds more like what I am looking for, a dense moist cake with a light frosting.  Will try that at a later date.

Dean wants to go somewhere for supper but not sure where.  I do have gift cards for Cracker Barrel and Olive Garden, so perhaps one of them.  Better get to it.

Last edited by Chlynn1129 (8/25/2024 1:40 pm)

8/25/2024 4:49 pm  #9

Trish, they are older, especially as first time parents, but it’s because it’s taken them years. 

Add me to the casserole fans! I have a bunch that I make. I love when it makes a big one, so I can do it in two pans and freeze one. 

AC is back on, we’re having about 4 days of heat and humidity. 

Question for Judy! I caught part of a house hunters where a woman was looking in Chicago, the Lincoln park area. She was looking at a high rise condo, and it had window units for AC, which shocked me. Is that usual for Chicago? 

It’s noticeable how much earlier sunset is. Fall is really coming fast. 

8/25/2024 9:21 pm  #10

Trish, there are two white crepe myrtles that I'm aware of. The Natchez gets very tall, 30 ft. tall, so I don't want that one. The Acoma only gets 10 ft. tall. You can trim it to be a shrub or a small tree. I can't get the Acoma locally, but I can order it. 

I found a mobile mechanic and my Highlander was fixed yesterday. It was not the battery nor the alternator, but the starter! I'll definitely use him again. Only 22 years old and he learned everything from his grandfather. How lucky to get it fixed so quickly and not pay a tow bill.

I lean toward vegetable casseroles, my favorites are broccoli cheese rice with cream of mushroom and squash casserole. I do like the two Janet mentioned as well. I love almost any mexican casserole.

eta: Trish, there is a white Crystalline black diamond, but I'm not a fan of the black diamond crepe myrtles. I don't care for the black foliage. I have one in my yard I'm getting ready to move. It's white and a small shrub.

Last edited by DownSouth (8/25/2024 9:39 pm)

D e v o n n e

8/26/2024 8:34 am  #11

Two regulars are sitting at a bar when one of them casually points to a couple of drunks across from them. “That’s us in ten years,” he says. His friend takes a sip from his beer, sets it down on the bar, turns to his friend, and slurs, “That’s a mirror.”

QUITE LOVELY OUT THERE TODAY.

MY DAY WILL BE QUIET AGAIN.  I NEED TO TAKE OUT MY TRASH AND MAYBE VACUUM.  I CLEANED THE BATHROOM.  I AM DOING A LOT OF READING AND ENJOYING IT.

CHERYL......I REMEMBER SPICE CAKES.  I USED TO LIKE THEM YEARS AGO.  HAVEN'T HAD ONE IN A FEW YEARS.  I'M NOT MUCH FOR CAKES.  I LOVE A RUM CAKE AND I EAT POUND CAKE NOW AND THEN.  STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE IS MY FAVORITE I THINK.  I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ANOTHER SPICE CAKE.

JANET.......I THINK LASAGNA AND BAKED ZITI ARE TECHNICALLY (SP) A CASSEROLE SINCE MOST ARE LAYERS OF DIFFERENT FOODSTUFFS TO MAKE A WHOLE MEAL.  EVEN MACARONI AND CHEESE IS A CASSY.

DEVONNE......HOW LUCKY FOR YOU TO FIND A MOBILE MECHANIC.  THAT SHOULD HELP WHEN YOU NEED SOMEONE IN A HURRY TO COME RIGHT TO THE HOUSE.  YES, NO TOWING CHARGES EITHER.  GOOD FIND.

THAT'S IT LADIES.  I NEED TO GET MY STUFF TOGETHER TO TOSS IN THE TRASH.  WILL ENJOY MY DAY PER USUAL.
BE SAFE.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/26/2024 8:45 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

8/26/2024 9:54 am  #12

Good Morning, it is 60* outside and not a breath of air is moving.  My window washing guy will be here in a few minutes, will be nice to have them clean again.  Gosh, the sun is breaking through!!  Hooray!!

I really don't have anything to say this morning, so will just sign off, wishing you all a wonderful day, BJ.

8/26/2024 11:01 am  #13

Mr Hyde is back…it was nice for a while. And they say women are moody!

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/26/2024 11:09 pm)

8/26/2024 1:36 pm  #14

Cheryl, I remember we loved a spice bar from the A&P store. It had an icing and was delicious. 
Janet, does it feel like you're married to two different men? 

D e v o n n e

8/26/2024 1:58 pm  #15

Janet, ha! Women being more moody than men is a legend started by men! 

8/26/2024 7:33 pm  #16

Devonne- yes
Holly - you’re right

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/26/2024 11:09 pm)

8/26/2024 8:27 pm  #17

How much is gas in your area? It's been $3.15 here for months, but once school started it came down to $3.08.

I placed an order for Land O'Lakes half and half creamer. Two boxes, 24 in each box. When it arrived, they weren't in the original boxes, as was pictured on Amazon, but crammed in a cheap cardboard box in plastic bags! The seller got a negative review and I reported him to Amazon. If I had checked his rating, I wouldn't have ordered from this seller....3.9 rating.

Last edited by DownSouth (8/26/2024 8:28 pm)

D e v o n n e

8/26/2024 8:39 pm  #18

Devonne, $3.05 at the corner, and they pump it for you, because this is Jersey!

8/26/2024 11:40 pm  #19

DEVONNE I will Look up the crepe myrtles, I haven't seen others, but they must be around somewhere in this country LOL Sorry about the amazon delivery

SANDRA I am enjoying your funnies!!! Thank you (((hugs))) definitely need a laugh a day. Agree with the casseroles, anything cooked in a pot/dish is a cassy in my opinion. 

One I really love is a greek one, it's kind of greek spaghetti meat sauce, then topped with a layer of cheesy béchamel pasta, then baked, Pastitsio, (no idea on spelling LOL ) 

CHERYL I  have nice space cake recipe, we had a yummy one in Ireland, it was mostly ginger flavoured, but a spice cake, so, so good. 

JANET I have one of those too right now!!! It's annoying me more that he's a Mr Nice to others ALL the time!! 
Glad he's gone to bowls today, and won't be home till dinner.

HOLLY hope I didn't offend with the age comment, parents here seem to be getting both older AND younger. I was considered an "elderly primigravida" when I had Megan, I was only 28 for heavens sake !!! That was how it was in 1977 LOL I was so offended when I saw the Drs report - I had read it upside down serves me right for snooping LOL

WOW!!! Our fuel is around $2.25 PER LITRE and there are almost 4 litres to a gallon, I wish we had your prices!!! I need to fill up, and not looking forward to the cost.

I need to fill anyway, I have the blood Dr tomorrow, hoping she might tell me the anaemia is a little worse, and that is why I'm so tired - and that she might give me some iron to take. 

I got more sleep with the 1/2 sleeping tablet 1st night, but not as much last night. So I do feel better, I just need to re-set my system I think. I actually did better at training this morning, so maybe I've turned the corner.

I wanted to try to sew a little today, maybe tomorrow, if I mess up I will want to toss the darn thing. I have to remember to take the small cross stitch (bought in Birmingham) to sewing this Friday, it's on linen and I want the girls to show me where to start, it looks like the pattern is showing to start on the corner where it is mostly outline stitching. 

I forgot to tell you about the Birmingham Quilt show, there were some pretty amazing ones on display. Even a Dear Jane, although I think our Sarah's is better. Some were pretty outrageous, one had some really choice words on it!! And another looked really quite disgusting, I won't even show you the pic I took to show Julie in case she missed it. There were signs at the end of each aisle to say there were some displays that could cause offence  -- COULD!!!!  Good grief!, understatement of the year. One also was a small squarish shape of tin foil, no idea what category that fell into, they didn't either, it was on an end. LOL 
It was a big show, much like Paducah, many vendors, and some fantastic things to buy, they had some guys selling Liberty fabric, they had all sorts of fabric as well, dressmaking included, and they measured with long 'yard sticks' snipped and either tore across or scissor cut just eyeballing the line. I tested mine when I got home ( it was cut) and it's actually quite straight LOL. They made a lot of sales, also an Aussie vendor was there, heard the accent and thought it was a shopper, they come from Victoria for the show every year they said. 

We had a quick easy dinner last night, stir fry beef and hokkein noodles. Just brown well 1lb beef, add in 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce and 1lb stir fry veg and a cup of water and the pack (around 1lb also) of hokkein noodles) , I added a little Worcestershire sauce to mine for eating, it was little bland, so I would maybe add in something when cooking next time, there are leftovers also, PLUS we have leftover roast and veg for tonight to make "bubble & squeak" also known as "throw all the leftovers (and gravy) into a pot and simmer " LOL

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/26/2024 11:44 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/26/2024 11:49 pm  #20

BUMPING UP!

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

Board footera