OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/20/2024 7:56 am  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY 18 AUGUST ~ SAT 25 AUGUST

It’s 63 here with a humidity of 73%! 

8/20/2024 9:03 am  #22

The graveside service had just ended when there was a frightening clap of thunder, followed by a tremendous bolt of lightning accompanied by even louder thunder. The little old man looked at the pastor and said calmly, “Well, she’s there.”

I THOUGHT WE WERE BACK TO GOOD WEATHER BUT TO MY SURPRISE WE GOT T-SHOWERS LAST NITE.  HAPPILY NO POWER OUTAGES.  IT LOOKS LIKE AN IFFY WEEK THE WHOLE TIME.  TEMPS COOLER BUT SUN MAYBE PEEKING THRU NOW AND THEN AMONG GRAY CLOUDS.
I AM FEELING LOTS BETTER TODAY SO I GUESS THAT MEANS A BIT OF HOUSECLEANING.  I JUST GOT A CLEANER IN THE MAIL I ORDERED AND WILL LET YOU KNOW IF IT MEETS ITS ADVERTISING.  I NEED TO GET THE OVEN DOOR NICE AND CLEAN AGAIN.  I OFTEN FAIL TO GIVE IT A WIPE DOWN AFTER BAKING AND THERE'S BAKED ON GREASE ACCUMULATING ON THE GLASS IN THE DOOR WHICH SHOULD DISAPPEAR WITH THIS CLEANER ACCORDINGD TO THE ADS.  I SHALL TRY IT. 

I HAVE TO GET MY EXERCISES DONE TODAY. HAVE SKIPPED THEM THE LAST FEW DAYS.  I DON'T WANT TO BE A SLUG. 
OTHER THAN THAT NO NEWS FROM MY END OF THE GLOBE.  MY LIFE IS IN THE SLOW LANE.  I AM ACTUALLY THINKING, THO, OF DOING SOME SEWING TODAY.  I WILL LET YOU KNOW.
BE SAFE.  HUGS FOR ALL, QB S  

Last edited by quiltbea (8/20/2024 9:13 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

8/20/2024 9:40 am  #23

Good Morning to everyone!!  I have no plans for the day, believe Tracy will show up later for a couple of days.  Will be very nice to have her.   Love her dearly!!  It is 64* right now, not sure it will get any warmer!!

I really don't have anything to say, so will sign off, wishing you all well.  have a wonderful day, everyone, BJ.

8/20/2024 12:53 pm  #24

The humidity dropped, it’s in the low 70’s with a breeze. Windows open! We went to the library to swap out books, stopped at Saladworks to bring home lunch. 
It’s noticeably getting darker earlier, boo. 

8/20/2024 2:11 pm  #25

WELL, I FINALLY GOT MY LOON FAMILY PAINTING HUNG.  I HAD TO SWAP THE WIRE I HAD FOR ANOTHER TYPE AND THE NAIL FOR MY WALL NEEDED A HEAD.  I GOT PERMISSION FROM THE MGMT TO HAMMER IN A NAIL SINCE THE COMMAND HOOKS WERE NOT STURDY ENOUGH FOR THIS PARTICULAR PAINTING.  I HAD TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO SCREW IN MY WIRE SO THAT TOOK SOME THINKING AND WORK.   HAD PLENTY OF NAILS WITH THE NARROW HEADS TO HANG IT BUT NOT SUITABLE TO BE SURE THE WIRE WON'T SLIP OFF.  SO A HUNT WAS ON.  THRU MY TOOL BOX FROM STEM TO STERN.  THEN IN A COUPLE OF SMALL DRAWERS WHERE I TOSS IN LITTLE OBJECTS LEFTOVER FROM THINGS I BUY.  NOPE, NO NAIL WITH A HEAD.  FINALLY PAWED THRU MY NAIL BOX A THIRD TIME AND FOUND ONE, YES JUST ONE, SUITABLE NAIL AMONG THOSE WITHOUT HEADS.

ITS STRAIGHT ON THE WALL BUT MY CAMERA ANGLE WAS LOPSIDED A BIT.
YOU KNOW ITS BEEN SO LONG SINCE I POSTED A PHOTO I HAD TO THINK ABOUT IT A BIT BEFORE I COULD DO IT.
ANYWAY, HERE IS THE TREASURED PAINTING.  I ADORE IT.
QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/20/2024 2:20 pm)

8/20/2024 3:35 pm  #26

Afternoon y'all!

Alex moved out this last weekend! 

He will be home tonight to take us to the airport in the morning!  We're going to Maine, to see Luke, then Boston for a baseball game, back to Maine, then home next Wednesday!  

Nothing exciting here, still working on Alex's room.  He still has a bunch of stuff here.  He still needs to go through it all!  

Been packing and doing laundry!  Even got mom's laundry done! 

I am not taking my computer, so will send updates to Sandra or Carol!  

Later my Friends! 

8/20/2024 3:50 pm  #27

I made Howard who was already in bed with his C-PAP on  get up out of bed last night to look at the Blue Moon.  I guess two yrs. in a row is really unusual and i thought we should make the effort.  Glad we did and it was extra large and bright. 

Got my hair cut this morning, then shopped at Dollar General and the grocery for all the food and things I need for Friday.  The store I picked had chuck roasts for $3.88/lb. a bargain in this day and age.  I'm fixing  BBQ beef sandwiches.  Before we left, Howard took Fancy out, brought her back in and in the flurry to get out of the house, we couldn't find her (to put her in the bathroom where she stays when we're gone.)  She IS tiny, 5 lbs.,  but still...    After each of us retraced our steps from room to room and me looking outside to see if he actually did bring her in, I found her hidden by an ottoman in the sun room.  I had even asked him if she was in there sunning herself, as she loves to do, but I was just as fooled by her location as he was  and 'we just got her'...15 years ago!   Almost made me late for my hair appointment.

Patty, of course...I should have thought a bit more about it.  Still, just two of us is quite the statistic, nowadays! 
And, Holly, yours and Ralph's long happy marriage has been the best example for your girls.  

QB, better yet, if your new cleaner works that well, you can come here and work on my stove.  I keep a decorative towel on my oven door to hide the dirty window, made worse by a mysterious  permanent streak between the two glass panels. That and the bone-colored thin metal front piece from my old dishwasher that I saved to place over the burners to extend the amount of counter space to lay out food for company are my two life savers. 
-------------------------------------------------------  
My computer suddenly posted the above on its own.  Guess that's a hint I should quit!  Have a good evening and Sweet  Dreams.
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (8/20/2024 4:06 pm)

8/20/2024 10:27 pm  #28

SANDRA that is gorgeous, I love it!!! Glad you found the nail, I would have gone and got more LOL I have no patience. Good to hear you feel a bit better, no fun being off kilter (((hugs)))

INDY too funny, I do that with Oscar at their place, he's tiny and if he doesn't want to answer he won't,  I usually open the treat cupboard and rustle the wrapper, that gets him.

JANET it's hot here, maybe we switched countries overnight!! It is strange weather for August, t-shirt weather, and will be for a few days, going as high as summer temps!

HOLLY I read a lot of the reports on the Titanic and bought a book there, it was such silly mistakes, not really greed. The binoculars were taken off ship by the crew man who had to leave suddenly and was replaced, and they didn't check to see if they were still on board, NO training for the use of life boats, or even a plan, the captain was showing off a bit for speed and a few other things, and had shortened his course,  one ship nearby had no radio operator at night, they were so close they could have saved so many, and the first class passengers were constantly using the radio to be in touch with friends/family.
The rules for passenger carrying ships were changed after that, ALL ships had to carry out life saving drills etc, radios had to be operated for passengers only in emergencies AND manned 24 hours, the course for trans Atlantic was to be changed between certain months of the year to avoid the possibility of ice bergs, and checks for equipment every voyage, many more, but that was some of them. Such an awful event, the museum is fantastic. Such an array of artefacts and documents/reports.

THERESA hope you have a great time! Enjoy that break away, you need it, hoping Alex can get sorted quickly.

DEVONNE is Greg still away, or am I remembering wrong. 

I hit the wall yesterday, an expression we use to say we need rest urgently LOL I don't know if it's jet lag or just absolute exhaustion, was awake most of the night, got up, had some breakfast eventually and then went back to bed for a couple hours, I feel tired still, but need to be moving, it's Pete's birthday, I need to get him a cake, and we'll have dinner together tonight - all of us! It will be Chinese takeaway. And hope to get an early night - going to try to attach a few pics. 

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/20/2024 10:37 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/20/2024 10:31 pm  #29

Small Edinburgh street, looking towards the old castle.

Edinburgh Castle, the entry - it was a rainy day!

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/20/2024 10:35 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/20/2024 10:34 pm  #30

Just one of the many stained glass windows in St Giles Church in Edinburgh.

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/20/2024 10:50 pm  #31

Trish, our guide told us that the company wanted more room for first class passengers, and took the footage that should have been for life boats and made more cabins. He gave other examples, but I don’t remember them. 
I’m off to bed.

8/21/2024 9:11 am  #32

Because my wife and I are flea market dealers, we usually carry stacks of $1 bills. Not long ago, we had lunch at a restaurant and paid the check with singles. As our waitress collected the ones, she sized up my 70-year-old wife and said, "You had a good night dancing last night, huh?"

TRISH.......THANKS FOR ALL THE PRETTY PICTURES.  I LOVE TRAVELING ALONG.

ITS COOLED DOWN A LOT.  I HOPE THAT THERESA'S TRAVEL TO MAINE IS GOOD.  WE IN THE SOUTH END ARE HAVING SUNNY DAYS NOW WITH SOME CLOUDS PUFFING ABOUT.  TEMPS HAVE DROPPED NICELY.  AND FIND A GOOD PLACE WITH LOBSTER ROLLS WITH CHUNKS, NOT SMOOTH, LOBSTER IN THE ROLLS.  MMMM GOOD.

TONITE IS BINGO NITE.  I HOPE TO WIN A BIT.  IT SEEMS WE GALS HAVE OUR GOOD NITES WHEN MOST OF THE WINS HIT ONE PERSON.

AS FOR SEWING YESTERDAY, WELL IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.  BY THE TIME I DRAGGED OUT MY WIPS AND TRIED TO DECIDE ON WHAT TO WORK, IT WAS TOO LATE WITH SUPPER NEEDS LOOMING.  I HAVE TOO MANY WIPS.

I NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT CASSEROLE TO MAKE NEXT.  I HAVE SO MANY RECIPES ME AND MY NEIGHBORS LIKE TO EAT.  TIME TO TAKE SOME MEAT OUT TO DEFROST.
HAVE A GOOD DAY FRIENDS.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/21/2024 9:22 am)

8/21/2024 12:18 pm  #33

QB, loved your loon picture, too. They're such unusual birds and their call so mysterious.  Unlike the rooster next door that I love hearing as he crows off and on thru out the day.  He's common, but sounds happy in his roll...whatever that is?  Can't remember exactly, but I think the loons were a gift to you.  

Trish, love the pics.  I believe St. Giles is the cathedral that Queen Elizabeth lay in state in Scotland.  ML told me that.  I think only the very young recover quickly from a big journey like you had.  Give yourself some time and you'll be up and running as usual.  When we went to Holland, it took ML, age 28 1 week to feel back to normal, me, age 49, 2 weeks and Mom age, 72, a month.  How's Warwick doing with that?  

Roomba is done vacuuming, so time for me to go and pick up and put away.  That's a task that never ends.
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (8/21/2024 12:18 pm)

8/21/2024 12:28 pm  #34

I went with Gary to his dr.'s appt. today. His AIC is down from 11.0 to 9.5, but doc wants to see it under 7.0. He changed a few of his medications and is sending him to a diabetes clinic.

We went to the Varsity after his appt. I haven't been to the Varsity in years. This is the iconic one in downtown Atlanta; opened in 1928. They still have carhop service. Not healthy, but it sure was good, lol!

Only 76 degrees right now....so nice! We will get back into the 90's next week.

Theresa, hope you're having a great time in Maine. 

Trish, loved all of the pictures. The stained glass is amazingly beautiful! Greg is home now. Next month they are going to Universal Studios for 4 days, then a 3 day cruise on the Utopia. In November, they will be on the same ship for another 3 day cruise. I forgot what they're doing the beginning of this second trip. He makes his trips a full week to make it worth the driving (or flying). He got both of these cruises for free for two people. The Utopia is a brand new ship, first sailing was in July. I find it so unusual it only does 3 and 4 day cruises, catering to people who only want to do weekend cruises.

Gary and Emily are taking the kids to Dollywood in October. Emily offered for me to go & take the scooters. I told her to have a good time. It would be too crowded in their Tacoma with an extra person. Not happening! 

Judy, after you mentioned divorce statistics, I realized I had never thought about these statistics of my siblings. There were 5 divorces out of 9 siblings. My youngest brother died at age 18 so he was never married.

ETA: I edited my post because I forget we are not private. Deleted personal information.

Last edited by DownSouth (8/21/2024 10:49 pm)

D e v o n n e

8/21/2024 8:43 pm  #35

I got back out of bed at 1 a.m. to go out to see the blue moon.  Unfortunately it was very cloudy and we live in a low valley.  I could not even see the moon!  It was a lovely shade of gray/blue outdoors but I could not find the actual moon.   I was in my pjs so did not want to walk around too much. 

Trish, your pictures are awesome.  I like to armchair travel but not in person travel.  lol.  My co-worker said when she retires, they will move to Scotland.  They go now two or three times a year to visit her husband's family.  She is only in her late 40's but no kids, and is an assistant superintendent at the school.  She will retire early.  Her husband was a police officer in Scotland but she did not want him to be one here, so he works for Amazon.

Kids started school today; hard to believe that the summer flew by so fast.  I am not looking forward to cooler weather.  This week has been nice but today was pretty chilly.

Dean and I have been married 48 years, but both of my brothers and his one brother and sister were all divorced.  (My younger brother twice and his sister twice.)  My mom and dad divorced and Dean's parents divorced, so we are the odd ones in our family.

Devonne, good luck to Gary on getting his A1c down as that is a high number. Diabetes is very deadly; he needs to get it under control.  Most, if not all, of my BIL's health issues are from years of his diabetes being out of control.

8/22/2024 12:19 am  #36

CHERYL good luck to her driving in Scotland!! It's such narrow roads, worse than in England and Ireland. I would hate to drive there, but I guess if they go over a few times a year she's used to it. 

What we couldn't get used to was no awnings in shops, made it harder to find shelter in the rain. But if they had awnings you wouldn't be able to get buses down the street LOL 

INDY yes it was St Giles, such a gorgeous building, the stained glass was amazing, difficult to get pics with so many people in the frames, each window was for a story, birth of Jesus, Crucifixion etc, and beautifully coloured. Such talent to do that.

SANDRA you would have loved seeing all the old villages, they look exactly as they do in Midsomer Murders, 
It's hard to believe that some of these villages are so old, the pubs are everywhere and all have gorgeous flower decorations, and the odd names, we all got a laugh out of many of them.

DEVONNE good idea to delete anything too personal, you just never know. I tend to stay away from Facebook for that reason, and I have set my profile there to be as private as I can. 

Nothing much happening here, we had a nice but short evening last night, and I got a good sleep thank heavens. Went to training and it was hard work, so I wanted to nap, but tried to resist that. 
We feel like  you're right INDY, it's just plain old tiredness, The MR is struggling, BUT  went to bowls on tuesday when exhausted and is playing tomorrow, then in a competition on Sat to be continued on Sunday if they win - which is doubtful as he is so tired, 

It's been warm today again, and will be the next few days, my lavender is blooming, and the roses are already shooting up, Mother Nature doesn't what is what right now, should still be quite cold. LOL She will revert in the next couple weeks I think - or I hope, otherwise it's going to be a long hot summer ---  remember the movie with Paul Newman, those gorgeous blue eyes. 

I have food for tonight, Pete had bought some food for when we came home, I just needed some more fresh veg and fruit, he had bought quite a lot, but we went through the fruit pretty quickly. 

I forgot - did I tell you Warwick tried Haggis, yuk! Our Scot driver said it wasn't good haggis though, although all the black (and white ) pudding we had at breakfast was apparently good, didn't have that either. I stuck with a mix of porridge, fruit and rye toast with marmalade, depending on what they had. 
Our meals for breakfast and dinner were all included, and they were HUGE. 3 course meals for dinner, OR a buffet with many choices except for 2 hotels where we had a limited hotel menu to choose from. The Mr gained quite a bit of weight, I luckily didn't, I stopped eating all they offered, most of the ladies chose either starter and dessert OR just main. Some of the desserts were even big. Full size apple crumble tart with ice cream. Yikes, I almost sent it back LOL  --- almost !!! 

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/22/2024 12:25 am  #37

THE Titanic exhibition in Belfast.
​Almost at the end of the the show arena is not vey big, and the seats go quite high, with plenty of room so you can see over the people in front. I think they are only 10 (or 12?)  across and they fill the width. 

Blarney Castle ( from the back) gorgeous grounds!!

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/22/2024 12:34 am)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/22/2024 12:39 am  #38

TEMPLE BAR in Dublin, all the buildings are like this, so pretty, it's very touristy AND expensive - it's Republic of Ireland, and is part of EU. Must be hard when further north you use pounds and are part of UK, in some places you could be neighbours! 

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/22/2024 7:14 am  #39

Good morning, all.

Sorry to be MIA again, but when I had my cataract surgery, my vision is really weird.  One eye works well, and one doesn't.  I'll be glad when they both match again.  Since I went back to teaching, I'm reading a lot of papers, and my eyes are really tired when I get home.  I'm not at school today as Glen has a doctor's appointment I need to attend.  So, they have a sub for the sub!  

Trish, thanks for all of  your amazing pictures.  I was in Scotland in June 1982, so yes, I know how cold it is.  Brrrr.  Of course, when I go next August, I'll be laughing at everyone in Houston who is sweltering.  

I see I've missed some birthdays and anniversaries and other events.  I did read a couple of nights, but as I said, my eyes just feel weird.  

I am loving being back with the kids, and as a sub, I don't have to deal with lesson plans, faculty meetings, parent conferences, etc.  So far, I'm not allowed to put grades into the computer, but I think that will change.  I have all of the juniors, over 200 of them, for an SAT prep class.  I'm pretty sure no one wants to enter all of those grades plus the one class of ninth-grade Honors English.  It's such a weird schedule, as I see the 9th graders every day, Monday through Thursday, and every other Friday.  Fridays are early dismissal, so it's a strange schedule.  For the juniors, I see them twice a week, and I am trying to wrap my head around seeing two classes of them on Mondays, three more on Tuesdays, and then all 5 of those classes on Wednesdays.  The other half I see on Thursdays, and then half of those on one Friday, and the other half on the other Friday.  Yes, it's as confusing as it sounds.  I have stacks of papers with post-its everywhere.  Then of course, kids get schedule changes, so I have a stack of "random" papers that will eventually find their way back to where they belong.  

My favorite conversation so far?  The dean in charge of subs came and asked whether I could cover other classes during my off periods.

Me:  You do realize that I have over 200 juniors I need to plan for and grade papers?

Him:  You're actually teaching?

Me:  Yes, isn't that what you pay me for?

Him:  Oh, I didn't realize you had actual teaching duties.

Me:  Face Palm.  

I told the academic dean, and she laughed and said, "He doesn't know you, does he?"  I said, "I think he does now."  I haven't been assigned to cover any other classes.  Sheeeeshhhh.

Okay, leaving for the doctor and back later. 

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

8/22/2024 8:44 am  #40

I stopped off at the super­market to buy my son-in-law his favorite pie, sour cream raisin. The box had the $15 price stamped on the top, which I thought would be tacky on a gift, so I asked the man behind the counter for a marker to black out the price. Didn't work—you could still see the price through the ink."I know what to do," the man said. "I'll cover it up."And with that, he slapped a sticker over the price that read "$2.98 Day Old."
                                                                       **********************************

ITS A GORGEOUS DAY HERE IN MAINE.  I HOPE THERESA IS ENJOYING IT.

TRISH.....THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE PHOTOS.  I LOVE TRAVELING THIS WAY.  SO MUCH EASIER ON ME AND MY PURSE.  THANKS.

JUDY.......YES, THE ARTWORK IS BY OUR RESIDENT ARTIST.  SHE GIVES AWAY HER WORKS TO ALL THE RESIDENTS.  SHE FINDS OUT WHAT YOU LIKE AND PAINTS IT.  SHE REFUSES ANY MONEY SO THAT'S WHY I MADE HER A WALLHANGING.  SHE ALSO GAVE ME THE WINTER PAINTING I HAVE.  IT WAS ONLY BECAUSE MY THEN NEIGHBOR DAN DID NOT WANT IT.  SHE MADE IT FOR HIM AND SINCE I WAS STANDING THERE IN THE HALLWAY AND SAID IT WAS LOVELY, SHE GAVE IT TO ME.  ANYWAY, SHE'S VERY TALENTED.  SHE USED TO HAVE AN ART GALLERY.

THIS IS THE ONE I GOT BECAUSE OF A REFUSAL.  I LOVE IT.

CAROL.......HAS YOUR DR SUGGESTED LASER WORK FOR THAT EYE?  THEY DID MINE WHEN ONE WAS NOT AS CLEAR AS THE OTHER.  WORKED A CHARM.  CHECK INTO IT.

I WON $5 AT BINGO LAST NITE.  THAT'S A REALLY GOOD NITE FOR ANY OF US.  I TOLD THE GALS I WOULD BE ORDERING THE NEW BINGO BALLS WHEN MY NEXT CHECK CAME.  THEY OFFERED TO SHARE THE COST BUT I TOLD THEM IT WAS MY XMAS GIFT TO THE GROUP.  I DIDN'T WANT ANY OF THEM TO FEEL OBLIGATED TO PAY SINCE IT WAS MY IDEA.

TODAY I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER.  ALREADY DID MY LAPS.  WILL PLAN ON COOKING TODAY.  MAYBE MEATBALLS AND SPAGHETTI.  I ALSO WILL DO SOME LAUNDRY.  IN THE MEANTIME ITS SOLITAIRE, READING, WATCHING TV, AND GENERALLY ENJOYING MY DAY.
HAVE A GOOD ONE MY FRIENDS.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/22/2024 9:00 am)

Board footera