OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/09/2024 8:21 pm  #41

Re: ODT SUNDAY AUGUST 4 ~ SAT AUGUST 10

Holly, as a widow, I couldn't afford to live in NJ. I also heard people are leaving Florida because of crazy insurance premiums. My taxes are $1,400 a year. I break them down in two months since they are due Dec. 1st, so it won't interfere with Christmas money.

Marylou, my score dropped a little too, but I don't buy anything on credit. It really doesn't matter unless the time comes and you need a good interest rate and your score is really bad. I don't plan on having a mortgage or car payment in my lifetime, lol. Enjoy your trip! 

Holly, I found a picture of the XS I did in the 90's. I enjoyed doing it. I used 3 strands over 4 squares, lol. These are from photos so not great pictures. A lot more pink than the picture shows.

A closeup of the quilt. It's lighter than this picture shows but I wanted to show you the colors used.

and this was the 1991 design called "Summer Breeze" by Paula Vaughn. I don't know if she still does XS designs or even if she's still living.

Last edited by DownSouth (8/09/2024 8:27 pm)

D e v o n n e

8/10/2024 8:56 am  #42

Devonne, my town is a bit higher than some because we have few businesses. Some of the bigger towns have almost no local tax. And I have a nice piece of ground and a big rancher with a full basement. That all adds to the taxes. 
Your cross stitch is very nice! 

8/10/2024 9:28 am  #43

Taxes in NY (not the city, cause I don’t know) are ridiculously high.  When we left about 8 years ago, our combined taxes were about $19,900 and going up.  School taxes were ridiculous.  And no services were included.   We had a 5000 sq ft house on 5+ acres.  Virginia’s taxes are lower, but they two bit you to death with things like personal property tax.  So every year you pay ppt on your cars, boats, trailers, etc and they determine the value to be taxed.  For example, last year they rated the value of my 2009 Rav over $9000!  I called and complained and they asked me what my pint was?  I said if you want to give me $8000 for the car, I’ll deliver it to you know.  Edmund’s and Kelly Blue Book value the same car at about 5000-5800.
They taxed our ‘06 truck at 22000… and so on…so even though VA taxes seemed low, they’re high also when you add the personal tax…so do the math..3 cars, a truc and a car trailer.  BTW, when you make an exterior improvement they tax that too.
    Anyway.  We did ok with the storm..about 3-4 inches of rain but no wind.

8/10/2024 9:47 am  #44

Janet, you’re proving my point, if they don’t get you for one thing, they get you for another. The only tax I like is the $114 I pay for the county library system, I save at least ten times that.

Lemonade chicken is in the crockpot. It’s actually not raining!

8/10/2024 10:00 am  #45

Good Morning to everyone!!  It's a beautiful day here, very still and sunny.  I have no plans for the day.  So think I'll finish here and go sit in my chair, watch some TV.  Have a wonderful day, see you tomorrow, BJ.

8/10/2024 10:09 am  #46

• My dog used to chase people on bikes a lot. It got so bad that finally I had to take his bike away.

WELL LADIES, THANKS FOR CLARIFYING TAXES.  I NO LONGER PAY THEM.  THERE WAS A TIME THO,.....
ANYWAY THOUGH MY LIFE IS NOT IDEAL, I'M CONTENT WITH MY LOT.  THE ONLY THING I WISH DIFFERENTLY IS THAT I HAD A GOOD CAR OF MY OWN.

SEW HAPPY/PATTY......SO SORRY I MISSED YOUR ANNIVERSARY ON THURSDAY THE 8TH.  I WAS SO RUSHED ON GOING TO THE DR IT COMPLETELY FLEW OUT OF MY HEAD.  BELATED HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU BOTH. 

ITS A LOVELY DAY HERE LADIES.  THE STORM FINALLY WENT OUT TO SEA.  WE GOT SOME RAIN BUT NOT A LOT SO NO FLOODING HERE.

BJ.....NICE TO SEE YOU POSTING DAILY AGAIN.  HOPE THINGS ARE ROLLING ALONG TOLERABLY WELL FOR YOU AND YOUR DH.

DEVONNE......THAT'S A NICE XS YOU MADE.  I'M SURE IT WAS A LOT OF WORK BUT WORTH IT.  DO YOU DISPLAY IT?
I'VE ONLY MADE ONE XS AND ITS HANGING IN A FRAME ON MY WALL IN MY BEDROOM.THAT'S GOOD THAT YOU CAN BUY A CAR AND ALSO NOT HAVE A MORTGAGE AT THIS TIME IN YOUR LIFE.  THINGS ARE GETTING SO COSTLY EVERYWHERE.  EVEN MY GROCERY BILL KEEPS HIKING UP EVERY FEW MONTHS.

MY DAY, LADIES, WILL BE QUIET.  WILL YOU BELIEVE I AM GETTING ANTSY TO COOK A CASSEROLE.  I WILL THINK ON WHICH TO MAKE NEXT.  THEN I CAN TAKE SOME MEAT OUT TO DEFROST.
I PLAN ON A SALAD AND SANDWICH FOR BOTH LUNCH AND SUPPER TODAY.  I HAVE SOME LEFTOVER CHICKEN BREAST ALL COOKED AND READY TO EAT.  AND MY LIVERWURST SANDWICH MEAT IS CALLING ME.  I ENJOY THAT NOW AND THEN.

HAVE A GOOD DAY LADIES.  I DID MY LAPS AND SORTED MY PILLS FOR THE WEEK.  A FEW CLEANING BITS NEED DOING TODAY BUT NOTHING TOO TIRING.  HUGS FOR YOU ALL.  QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/10/2024 11:00 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

8/10/2024 12:29 pm  #47

Janet, you are so right on taxing for exterior improvements. Not only exterior, interior improvements as well "if" they find out about it, lol. If you renovate your unfinished basement, you are going to be paying taxes on it if they know about it. A guy on YT (in Oklahoma) had a well and they enclosed it. The government tax officials came on his land while he was gone and he is now taxed for his enclosed well, which they consider a building! That's ridiculous! He was mad as "h...." because he had trespassing signs out. 

Sandra, it is hanging on the wall in that picture. I no longer have it because it wasn't framed right and it was out of proportion. It was fun to do. Not sure if I will do more or not...I can't think of any place to hang them. I don't plan on fixing any casseroles because it's only me. It's good you can share them. 

Happy anniversary, Patty! 

Last edited by DownSouth (8/10/2024 12:31 pm)

D e v o n n e

8/10/2024 1:32 pm  #48

Good afternoon!

Taxes are really high in Ohio too.  Schools are mostly funded on the backs of property owners still in this state.  We do have sales tax but none of that goes to the schools.  We pay around $4000 a year and $3100 of that goes to the schools.  A big levy was just passed (not by me. lol) and so the taxes will certainly go up next year.  Anthony pays just about the same if not a little more in Hilliard, Ohio, but he has lots of perks like community pools, hiking trails, parks, etc.  I am in a semi-rural area and we have nothing.   I guess there are give and takes on all taxes everywhere.

It is a lovely day; no heat and no humidity.  We are going to Gabriels marching band show in the next town over, so a lovely night for it.  We have had little rain but the areas to the north of us had 6-8 inches over a 5 hour period and had lots of flooding from storm Debby.  Aaron was just 5 minutes from the storm and only had light rain and lightening.

Dean worked on a friends car (a farmer) and he brought us lots of homegrown tomatoes, sweet corn, green beans, peppers and hot peppers in lieu of cash payment.  I made green beans, potatoes and ham in the crockpot.  It was yummy.  Had sliced tomatoes and sweet corn.  Both grandkids ate it and I was surprised as they mostly like fast food.  We will not eat those hot peppers, so not sure what to do with them.

Sandra, I totally get you wishing for your own car; I would be lost without mine.  My mom never did get her driver's license and had to depend on others to get her places.

Holly, we do have lots of great quilt shops.  I have not been to any since Kelli died.  That was our favorite thing to do together.  If I need anything, I just go to my local Joanns.

Last edited by Chlynn1129 (8/10/2024 1:33 pm)

8/10/2024 3:42 pm  #49

It also annoyed me that I only had two kids in school and the neighbor had 6. And that once my kids were out of school, I was still paying school  tax. 
    We get no services here, we have wells, septics and no trash pickup available.

8/10/2024 6:56 pm  #50

Boo, I just saw that tonight is the last time this year that sunset will be after 8 pm in my area. I won’t miss the heat, but I like that long evenings. 

8/10/2024 8:12 pm  #51

Cheryl, your food payment sounds delicious! Billy's SIL, his Mom, my Mom and his only sister never learned to drive. I guess the man was really the "head" of the household way back then, lol. My Mom bought a new car for my sister (who lived next door) to be her chauffeur, lol. 

Holly, coming home at 8:30, I had to turn my lights on. I could have made it, but I would have had drivers blinking lights at me, lol. 

Sandra, giving up driving when we get older is the worse privilege to lose because we lose our freedom and have to rely on others. Billy's brother and his wife still drove to In-N-Out restaurant after his license was taken. 

Janet, I moved to city limits when I bought this house. You only get the "privileges" if you live in city limits...trash pickup every Friday, city sewer system and curbside trash pickup, street lights, sidewalks, pool, etc. My other house is 4-5 miles from here and we had a septic tank, but we did have county water and trash pickup (extra, not with your water bill like here.) You had to find your own company. That's what you get when you live on acreage and more rural. You don't have garbage service companies in your area you pay monthly and leave your garbage can at the roadside?

D e v o n n e

8/10/2024 8:59 pm  #52

A quick check in. I have been reading this. Week.

Thinking of everyone. Prayers.........

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

8/10/2024 9:20 pm  #53

Thanks ladies!

Sew Happy (Patty)
Northern Minnesota

Board footera