OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/06/2024 2:39 pm  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY AUGUST 4 ~ SAT AUGUST 10

There was a really nice breeze this morning, from the hurricane no doubt.

BJ, it's good to see you posting!

Cheryl, I hope your BIL can recover from this. There are deer around here too, but I have a fence!

Theresa, congratulations to Alex, sorry about Sara's car but glad it was saved. How wonderful your Mom is doing well at her new place. Things are looking up for you and Todd. Good luck to Luke on getting a permanent job there!

I am getting off here to fix roasted parmesan and garlic cauliflower. I love cauliflower fixed anyway.

Last edited by DownSouth (8/06/2024 2:41 pm)

D e v o n n e

8/06/2024 3:28 pm  #22

Theresa, so very glad that your mom is settled into a better place and that the kids are all getting their stuff together.  You may actually get a bit of time to yourself one day!  

Devonne, I love your crepe myrtle.  The purple ones are my favorite.  I have three volunteers in my front yard that actually grew where I wanted them.  I thought they were all pink, but one is purple, one white, and one pink (I think).  

For those in the path of Debby, I hope you get much-needed rain and nothing else.  I certainly hope that Joni is okay in Florida.  

Judy, are your bites feeling any better?  

Sandra, just do what you can.  It's too hot and too taxing to push yourself.  

Trish, I so envy you.  I'm really looking at going to Scotland next August for a tour and a night at the Royal Military Tattoo.  Send us pictures when you can.

Speaking of travel, I guess my travel budget is getting a big boost.  Last night I was asked to go back to my high school campus to sub until they hire an English teacher.  The principal is so excited that I'm coming that he said he doesn't need to interview.  Uhhh, yes you do.  This is NOT a permanent thing.  I'm going in Friday to talk to him and make sure he understands.  I taught his kid years ago, and he thinks I'm the best.  He won't contact me directly because my friend says I intimidate him, so she has been the go-between.  

I've watched so much of the Olympics, and I really love seeing the competitions.  Some of the announcing, not so much.  During the men's road cycling race through the Loire Valley -- can you say gorgeous chateaus? --, the analyst said that the leader was so far ahead that the only thing that would stop him would be a flat tire.  Yep, a couple of kilometers to go, and he had a flat tire!  Thankfully his team was right there, and they had a spare bike.  He did win, but I was ready to skin that announcer alive.  Quit jinxing athletes!  I'm so happy for Simone Biles and Suni Lee, the gymnasts after all of their physical and mental health issues.  They came back and proved they are still among the best.  Biles is from the Houston area, and we pretty much know when she sneezes.  Everyone loves her.  

Cataract surgery tomorrow, so I may or may not be back for a couple of days. 

Thought for the day:  Not everything is what it seems.  Remember that salt and sugar look exactly the same. 

Last edited by Needlecrazy (8/06/2024 3:57 pm)

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

8/07/2024 5:47 am  #23

Just about to cancel our small trip due to the hurricane.

8/07/2024 8:09 am  #24

• Yesterday, I couldn’t figure out whether someone was waving at me or the person behind me. In other news, I lost my lifeguarding job.

ITS A LOVELY DAY HERE.  CAN'T COMPLAIN SO I WON'T.

SORRY FOR THOSE IN THE PATH OF TROPICAL STORM DEBBY.  SHE'S SENDING LOTS OF RAIN TO LOTS OF AREAS.  SOME IS NEEDED BUT NOT SO MUCH.

JANET......HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.  ENJOY YOUR DAY.

JONI.......I HOPE YOU ARE OK AT YOUR HOUSE IN FLORIDA.  HAVEN'T HEARD FROM YOU IN A WHILE.  GOOD LUCK.

CHERYL......SORRY THAT YOUR BIL IS HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE HEALTHWISE.  HE'S BEEN THRU A LOT LATELY.  I HOPE THERE IS SUNSHINE IN HIS PATH SOON.

CAROL.......WELL, ITS SEEMS YOU WILL BE MAKING SOME FUNDS FOR YOUR TRIP ABROAD.  DON'T GET TOO SETTLED IN AND STAY THERE.  REMEMBER, YOU ARE A RETIREE AND CAN MAKE GREAT PLANS FOR YOU AND GLEN WITHOUT HAVING A REGULAR JOB HANGING AROUND YOU NECK.

THERESA......WOW, AS USUAL YOU ARE ON ONE BUSY GAL.  I THOUGHT YOU WOULD BE TAKING IT EASY BY NOW AFTER ALL THE ISSUES BEFOREHAND.
GLAD YOUR MOM IS IN A GOOD PLACE AND SEEMS TO BE ENJOYING IT.
AS TO THE CONDO, DIDN'T THE INSPECTOR FIND THESE ISSUES WHEN IT WAS INSPECTED BEFORE THE SALE?  ALEX SHOULD HAVE GOT THAT PLACE FOR A STEAL WITH ALL HE HAD TO DO TO MAKE IT RIGHT.
DEAR SARA IS OKAY AND THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR.  ITS GOOD THOUGH, THAT THE CAR COULD BE FIXED AFTER ALL.  IT SEEMS THEY WANT TO WRITE THEM OFF IN A HURRY.
GOOD NEWS WITH LUKE THAT HE LOVES ACADIA.  THIS IS THE TIME TO VISIT, IN THE SUMMER. 

I MADE THE SHELLS WITH MEAT SAUCE.  YUMMY AND A LOT EASIER THAN MAKING BUNDIES.  TODAY I WILL MAKE MY CHICKEN RICE SOUP.  ANOTHER EASY WINNER.
TONITE IS BINGO NIGHT.  I HOPE I WIN A LITTLE.  IT MAKES ONE FEEL GOOD TO GET AT LEAST ONE WIN DURING THE NITE.
HAVE A GOOD DAY EVERYONE.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/07/2024 8:35 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

8/07/2024 9:37 am  #25

Happy Birthday Janet!!!  I hope you're doing something fun for yourself today.

Sew Happy (Patty)
Northern Minnesota

8/07/2024 10:09 am  #26

A meme for Carol! Pic of a highway with traffic. Caption- Texas achieves goal of having every highway under construction at the same time! Good luck with the cataract surgery! 
Happy Birthday Janet! Stay dry!
Theresa, yikes! Once it’s all sorted out, hopefully you’ll have some time for yourself! If Luke gets full time at Acadia, would it be year round? Is the condo close to you? 
I was watching a hummingbird on my crepe Myrtle! Cheryl, they grow fast, and the deer can only reach so high. Good vibes for your BIL! 
I’ve also been in a cooking slump. Plenty of recipes and ingredients, no oomph. A lot of nights we just have salads. 
I’m reading The Never Game by Jeffrey Deaver, first of the series that the TV show Tracker is based on. Very good so far. 

8/07/2024 2:16 pm  #27

Thanks for the birthday wishes.  Bummed that the hurricane has ruined our plans.

8/07/2024 7:33 pm  #28

Happy birthday, Janet!!  I hope you had a great day.  So sorry about your ruined plans, but better to stay out of the path of that tropical storm.  We had lots of downed trees and roof damage yesterday to my north.  (Close to Cleveland). Reported that at least one tornado has been confirmed.  Thankfully no loss of life, just property and 425,000 still without power and will be for a few days.  Today was much cooler so that was a benefit for the people without AC today.

Dean's brother is doing better, thanks for the well wishes.  The doc removed Bill's big toe.  He thinks that may be where the sepsis was coming from but was not sure.  Bill already had the toe of his other foot removed due to diabetes.  His son, who has cancer, is not doing as well.  Had his PETscan last week and the tumors are not responding as well as they had hoped.  Now he will have to do radiation.  The tumor behind his nasal passage will be a challenge for radiation.  I do not know how my SIL is keeping sane.  I would not be.

I was a slug today; did not accomplish a thing.  Watched a lot of TV, read and just lounged.  I ate pizza yesterday and I think it makes me sluggish.  Zero energy today.

I am going to check out the crepe myrtle for my area.  They are beautiful.  We have deer in the are for sure.  My friend posted a picture of her very large back yard and it had two little deer napping.  She lives on a farm, so lots of room and vegetation.  The two deer were pretty far apart, so not sure they were from the same doe.

I ate cold cereal for supper as Dean was visiting Bill at the hospital.  It reminded me of Lady T.  She ate it for supper a lot if I remember correctly.

8/07/2024 7:36 pm  #29

Carol, hope your cataract surgery went well! About the job, my question would be what does it mean "until we find an English teacher?" A few weeks, a month, a year?  How long are you willing to commit?

Janet, happy birthday! 

Went to orthopedic doctor today. Saw the "physician's assistant." Got a cortisone shot in the right knee. She started to give me one in my left knee...just got one last mo. I didn't know you could get a cortisone shot every month. I think Medicare will only pay for cortisone shots every 6 months. Need to find out. 

D e v o n n e

8/08/2024 12:25 am  #30

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANET 🎉🥂🎁enjoy your day, hope the rain eases 

THERESA so good to hear all the news, great about some, sorry about the not so good (((hugs)))

CAROL good to get a little e tra income, you need it here😄but you’ll love it.

SANDRA thanks for the funnies🤣🤣🤣need a good laugh every day.

DEVONNE glad Molly is ok, hope the injection works.

CHERYL sad about your BIL. Hope he has better news soon.

We are in Killarney, yesterday was Killkenny, it was fabulous, friendliest village. The country has been so pretty to see.BUT rain, cloud, sun, wind all in an hour, then repeat all day 😄😄be prepared LOL

Saw Blarney Castle yesterday, that story IS a bunch of blarney I tgink 🤣🤣good way to make money, the castle grounds are gorgeous though, also went to Blarney Woollen Mills.

Had to come to the lobby to use internet, so need to finish up. 
Going to Limerick today, so there should be a few jokes on board the coach.

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/08/2024 7:36 am  #31

• A Roman walks into a bar, holds up two fingers and says, “Five beers, please.”

• My three favorite things are eating my family and not using commas.

A LOVELY SUNNY DAY HERE.  A NICE DAY FOR THE TRIP TO THE DR.  JUST A CHECKUP AND THEN LABS.  I DON'T EXPECT ANYTHING HAPPENING.

I WON SOME MONEY AT BINGO LAST NITE SO THAT'S ALWAYS GOOD.  NOT A FORTUNE, BUT ENOUGH TO MAKE IT MORE FUN THAN LOSING.
TODAY IS DR VISIT DAY SO I WILL SEE MY DAU.  ALWAYS A GOOD THING.
HAVE A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S

Last edited by quiltbea (8/08/2024 7:48 am)

8/08/2024 10:51 am  #32

Good Morning to everyone!!  No sun here today, but may come later.  I''m not feeling very ambitious.  Tracy took her Dad to coffee, so that's nice.  My house cleaner is here today, keeping busy, so that's a good thing.  I really don't have anything to say today, so will sign off, wishing you all well.  Have a wonderful day, everyone.  Sending my love to everyone, BJ.

8/08/2024 11:32 am  #33

Another rainy day here. I finished The Never Game, very good. Reminds me of Reacher. 

I talked to my brother, my nephew hurt his arm at work. Workman’s Comp says he might be out of work for a year! Yikes! 
Devonne, I like NP’s and PA’s, they seem to take the time to listen. I got the knee shots, didn’t work for me. 

We got our new tax bills, ours went up $372 for the year. Mostly the school part, I think that part is over 5k. 

For some reason Facebook has decided I must want to see house plans (which is better than the sports pages they suggested last month!) Seems like the trend is for an open floor plan of great room, dining area, and kitchen. None that it’s shown me have a separate living room and family room, which is what we have. The living room is my nest, his is the family room. 
Cheryl, it’s also showing me the Ohio shop hop, looks like you have a lot of quilt shops! Jersey only has 9, and only 4 in south jersey. 

8/08/2024 3:34 pm  #34

Don't faint, twice in one week! 

QB no he didn't.  Most are making it more masculine.  The Fandaliers are very feminine!  The smell does not fall under his role.  Couldn't tell it with all of the plug-ins anyways.  The painting over stuff also doesn't fall under the inspector.  But it is coming together, smells better, and looks more masculine.  That's the goal.  Alex bought it after they dropped it by 10K.  So a good thing!  He did get a deal! 

Holly, Yes, Luke's position would be year round, so we would have to find him a place to live.  His boss said if he got the position he would help him.   Alex's condo is about 15 minutes away, 2 miles as the crow flies!  The roadway is what takes so long, unfortunately we cannot fly there!  

Janet, Happy Birthday, late!  

Nothing new since I was last here, just busy.  This afternoon I plan on downloading some patterns I found.  Hopefully I will not make a mess of it!  I am known for doing that! 

Later my Friends! 

8/08/2024 5:45 pm  #35

Got up at 3:30 & took 2 Tylenol for the cortisone shot. Still awake at 8:45 am due to the drainage problem my ENT dr. can't figure out. It was much better for awhile. Have had one hour of sleep. 

Cheryl, I think it was you that mentioned Quilter's Cache. I used to go to her site all the time. Haven't been there in a few years, but went there yesterday. Thanks for mentioning it! 

Holly, did you have knee replacement surgery? I soooo want to avoid that if I can! Wow, property taxes are really high in NJ! Gary's tax bill went up $400 this year, mine stayed the same (it's because their land is zoned commercial which needs to be changed. Emily's brother had a diesel mechanic business in the shop.)  So sorry about your nephew. Gary lost a job he had been at 10 years when he went on Workers Comp due to carpal tunnel surgery. He now gets compensation every month for those 10 years. 

Theresa, enjoy having a little time to yourself! 

Trish, reading every place you are going and all the traveling just wears me out, lol! What a wonderful trip. 

D e v o n n e

8/08/2024 6:54 pm  #36

Devonne, jersey taxes are high, mine are about 10k per year. But you get what you pay for, we’re always in the top 5 for literacy, and we have lots of govt services. Jersey funds education thru property taxes. Michael is in a union, which helps, and he is going to get a lawyer to protect his interests. Yep, I had both knees replaced, 12 and 10 years ago.

8/09/2024 8:39 am  #37

• “My son had to give up his career because of fallen arches,” said a man to his friend. “He’s an athlete?” the friend asked. The man shook his head and replied, “An architect.”

WE ARE FINALLY GETTING THAT RAIN FROM DEBBY. 

DEVONNE.......SORRY ABOUT THE CORTISONE SHOT NOT HELPING.  I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT THE CORTISONE SHOTS I GOT MONTHLY FOR MY FOOT PROB (FASCITIS?) NEVER SEEMED TO MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE.  TIME AND THE FOOT FORM IN MY SHOE SEEMED TO DO THE TRICK AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS.

HOLLY.....GOSH, YOUR TAXES ARE AS MUCH AS A MORTGAGE PAYMENT.  HOW CAN ANYONE THESE DAY MANAGE TO PAY BOTH.

THERESA.....WELL, I AM GLAD THAT YOUR SON GOT A BREAK ON THE COST OF HIS CONDO.  WITH THE CHANGES HE'S MAKING HE SHOULD BE VERY HAPPY.

I AM ENJOYING THE OLYMPICS.  THE RHYTHMIC GYMNASTICS ARE SO BEAUTIFUL.  WITH BALLS AND STREAMERS OR HOOPS AND THE COREOGRAPHED ROUTINES ARE LOVELY TO WATCH.
I HAD TO CHECK ON WHAT WAS THE NEW EVENT, BREAKING.   WELL LADIES, ITS BREAK DANCING.  I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT.  I GUESS WE WILL SOON HAVE DISCO DANCING AND BALLET AS SPORTING EVENTS IN OUR FUTURE.
ANOTHER EVENT I ENJOYED WAS THE OPEN-WATER SWIMMING.  I ONLY GOT TO SEE THE MEN'S EVENT BUT IT TOOK 1 HOUR AND 50 MINUTES TO FINISH.  THAT'S A MIGHTY LONG SWIM IN THE SEINE RIVER WITH ITS STRONG CURRENTS.  OUT OF 24 STARTERS, ONLY 9 FINISHED AND THE USA WAS NOT ONE OF THEM.  THE BRONZE MEDAL RACE WAS A CHALLENGE NEAR THE END AND TO THE FINISH LINE.  A BRAVE FIGHT WON BY HUNGARY.  THEY TOOK GOLD AND BRONZE.

MY CHECKUP WENT WELL YESTERDAY AND THEN I HAD MY LABS DONE.  THEY WANT TO CHECK ON MY LIVER FUNCTION AND MY CHOLESTEROL AND SUGAR IN CASE I NEED TO TAKE ANY ACTION.  I AM CROSSING MY FINGERS.

EXCEPT FOR A COUPLE OF ORDERS ONLINE TODAY, STAMPS AND ALSO A FEW THINGS FROM TARGET, MY DAY WILL BE QUIET.  I ENJOYED SEEING MY DAU AND GRDAU GINA.  I ALSO GAVE THEM SOME THINGS TO TAKE HOME.  I NEED TO SEE WHAT I WANT TO TAKE OUT TO DEFROST FOR COOKING IN THE COMING DAYS.  I HAVE CHICKEN SOUP TO FINISH SO I AM GOOD FOR A COUPLE MORE DAYS. 
HAVE A FINE DAY FRIENDS.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/09/2024 8:51 am)

8/09/2024 9:50 am  #38

Good  Morning to everyone!!  Hope you all have a good day.  Have no plans for the day, just being lazy, I guess.  I really don't have anything to say, so will just sign off, wishing you all well, Love, BJ.

8/09/2024 3:17 pm  #39

Although it has been a while since I posted, I don’t have much to report. My days are pretty much the same every week with church, quilting, and exercise class and an occasional lunch out with friends. But my upcoming weekend promises to be great. I am going to Hopkinsville, KY, to see Clarissa as the female lead in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. And to make the weekend even better, Jessica and Zach and families will be there too so I will get to see everyone except Nate!  We won’t have lots of visiting time but we will make the most of the time we do have.

Several years ago I co-signed a student loan for a niece. She recently finished paying it off and my credit score immediately dropped 25 points!  Crazy!

8/09/2024 3:33 pm  #40

Mary Lou, I’ve read that paying off things lowers credit scores, which is counterintuitive.
Sandra, 50% of my taxes are school. 25% is county, 20% is local, and the other 5 ish% is county library, fire district, and open spaces. Trash and recycling is included, and we don’t have the vehicle and personal possessions tax that some states do. And we have a $17 minimum wage, and we’re pro union- none of the right to work stuff. So many people say they’re leaving due to taxes, but there’s tons of new construction also. 

It’s windy and rainy from the hurricane, and our power has blipped a couple of times. I just read a good book called Next of Kin by Sharon Sala, who’s a new to me author. Beth witnesses a murder by a mob boss, and is put into protective custody. There’s a leak, and three safe houses are attacked. She manages to get away, and hides out on the Kentucky mountain where she was raised. It was very good, and I’ll request the 2 connected books to it- same place, different characters.

Board footera