OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/25/2024 7:07 pm  #41

Re: ODT SUNDAY JULY 21 ~ SAT JULY 27

Holly, I'll be trying that Cole slaw.  The one I made is just okay.  I like recipes that use ingredients that you have on hand and not something you have to buy for just a bit of it and then the rest sits unused and goes blinky!  

Last edited by indyanny (7/25/2024 7:08 pm)

7/25/2024 7:52 pm  #42

I rarely eat coleslaw anymore because of the fat and sugar.
Finally, a day without rain.

Last edited by tricia-anne (7/25/2024 8:02 pm)

7/25/2024 8:10 pm  #43

Janet, you could probably sub low fat mayo. And 2 tablespoons of sugar doesn’t translate to a lot per serving. Judy, I think the recipe originally came from Ina Garten. I make it so often that I don’t need to look up the recipe. 

I crocheted a bit this afternoon, and made another table runner top tonight. It’s the first I’ve sewn at night since we moved the rooms around, and I need a floor lamp for behind me. I had to rethread the machine, and it was too shadowed to see. 

We had more turkey and stuffing for dinner, I made mine into a sandwich.

Did anyone see that there’s been a problem with listeria? A couple people died, and it might be from cold cuts. I haven’t seen an update. 

7/25/2024 8:17 pm  #44

SANDRA good for you!!! A win is a win!! I was watching the last episode of McDonald & Dodds, saw the name Jason Hughes, it was Jones from Midsomer, and he turned out to  be the murderer. He was quite a bit older, so the series is much newer than Midsomer. Remember when the new Barnaby was the suspect in an earlier series,  so weird, and he was a creepy character, funny when you see them in the other shows.

DEVONNE I guess they had a car issue, good for you to  help out if you could, I forgot to comment on your pots, we can get a rollaway thing you put the pots on, so you can move them, might be worth a try, they are just wired base on wheels, so the water goes through them, I have moved quite heavy ones with them. I think you'd only get them in a garden nursery.

JANET I still have my slaw but I make the dressing wth greek yoghurt, it's really good. I do add a little cider vinegar and tiny bit of sugar to it as well. Very low fat and taste is really good, I do add some spices as well.

HOLLY that is a good recipe, I would cut out the sugar for us, and maybe the powder and add fresh grated onion and garlic. I don't usually use the powder in those flavours. I'm glad you find your car good, we love the Mazda, the Tuscan wasn't as comfy for us. And we liked all the extras LOL

INDY yep, almost ready, the girl in the pharmacy this morning saw me, fist thing she said - is he going??, they know him well, she told him couple days ago if I said he wasn't going he wouldn't be!! I should be able to check in, maybe not every day, and not for the next couple while we are transitting. 15 hours first leg, 3 hours layover to change planes, and 7 1/2 hours last. Enough time in Doha to hopefully wash my face, clean my teeth and do my makeup,  I always feel better after that, I don't want to try to have a shower, I would stress about time. 

Megan came around last evening, she sorted her father out, he now has some more clothes packed, he has also put some cough mix into a small container so he can take it.
I just have to pack the makeup and chargers and we'll head off in a couple hours, possibly 3 hours would be my choice, but if he starts pacing I'll get Pete to drop us earlier. We can have coffee at the airport and he can annoy Julie & Sarah, they will be there early, Julie's husband is taking them to lunch on the water near the airport, then they will get there early. 
Interestingly this time, my bag doesn't weigh much, 19kgs, we are allowed 25kg. And my carryon is only 5 kg, I'm allowed 7, so I have plenty of room, the packing cells have worked well, and I was organised with what went with what clothes wise LOL

Last edited by tricia-anne (7/25/2024 8:20 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

7/26/2024 9:16 am  #45

I was laughing because Trish did what I do, immediately changing ingredients in a recipe to fit our taste! 

Has anyone done a Disappearing 9 Patch quilt? A blogger I follow did one using leftover charm squares, and I like the look of it. 

I just laid out the next table runner, with Halloween charm squares.

7/26/2024 9:17 am  #46

Holly, I have heard of the listeria outbreak. At first, I thought it was processed meat in packages, but it's from sliced deli meat. Boar's Head has recalled some of their products. It's affecting 12 states, mostly states in the north, but it's also here in GA and NC. I think it's from unsanitized dirty equipment, not washing their hands, maybe using the same gloves all day long? Could be the meat isn't kept at the right temp...who knows?

I saw on the news Celine Dion is making a comeback at the Olympics, maybe with Lady Gaga? I'm really surprised after watching her documentary. I'm glad she is feeling well enough to do this. She's one of my favorite singers.

I'm headed to Walmart, then going to visit Gary and the kids. 

Last edited by DownSouth (7/26/2024 9:23 am)

D e v o n n e

7/26/2024 9:41 am  #47

HOWDY FRIENDS.  SMILE......

• While digging in the garden, I found a chest full of gold coins. I wanted to tell my wife about it, but then I remembered why I was digging in our garden.

JUST SO YOU KNOW, ITS A LOVELY DAY HERE WITH THE SUN BRIGHT.  EXPECTING LOW 80S LATER BUT HIGH 70S NOW.  LOVING IT.

HOLLY........DO YOU USE WHITE OR CIDER VINEGAR FOR YOUR COLE SLAW?  IT CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  I'D LIKE TO TRY YOUR RECIPE.
NO, I NEVER DID A DISAPPEARING 9-PATCH SO CAN'T HELP.  I'M SORRY.

TRISH.....NEIL DUDGEON DID A GREAT JOB AS A SORT OF WEIRD CHARACTER IN THE EARLIER MIDSOMERS.  SHOWS HE'S A FINE ACTOR. AS FOR MR NETTLES, HE COMES FROM A SHAKESPEREAN BACKGROUND.  BOTH ARE GREAT ACTORS.
I LIKE JONES BEST OF THE SIDEKICKS.  AND I'VE SEEN HIM IN A DEATH IN PARADISE SERIES AS WELL. 

DEVONNE....I HAD NOT HEARD OF ANY RECALL ON FOODS.  THANKS FOR THE UPDATE.  I DON'T EVER BUY BOARSHEAD MEATS THOUGH. 

I PLAN TO BAKE MY CHICKEN TODAY WITH SOME POTATOES, CARROTS, AND ONIONS.  WITH 1 CHICKEN BREAST AND VEGGIES I SHOULD GET 3 MEALS. 

IF YOU ARE INTO THE OLYMPICS, IN MY AREA THEY ARE CARRYING THE EVENTS ON 3 CHANNELS, NBC, USA, AND E! SO THERE WILL BE LOTS TO WATCH.  MY FAVORITES ARE EQUESTIAN, SWIMMING, DIVING, AND GYMNASTICS.  I WILL BE RECORDING MY FAVES TO WATCH AT LEISURE.

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (7/26/2024 10:02 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

7/26/2024 10:06 am  #48

Sandra, I use white vinegar.

7/26/2024 12:38 pm  #49

I went and got the kids so Gary could get a nap. Sadie Grace woke him up at 4:30. Hannah is off tomorrow and they are getting haircuts and going to buy school supplies; he'll pick them up later. Good news! They will get to go to the school closer to their house, where Caleb went to the 1st grade.

Sandra, I'm not sure it is only Boar's Head meat?

Holly, I watched a YT video about the 9 patch disappearing block. Very interesting! 

I woke up at 7:30 with back pain, so I'll be taking it easy today. They will have to watch TV, draw or color. I do have plenty of books. They do like YT videos.

Look what Caleb saw on my tomato plant! I would have missed it, so I went ahead and picked my biggest, and only, tomato.

Last edited by DownSouth (7/26/2024 12:46 pm)

D e v o n n e

7/26/2024 1:16 pm  #50

My guild is going to have a program at our first September meeting about some of the disappearing blocks. One member is explaining disappearing nine patch, another one disappearing pinwheel, and I will explain disappearing four patch. In preparation for that, I just finished a red/white/blue top that I will donate to QOV after I get it quilted.

In a couple of weeks, I will be going to Hopkinsville to see Clarissa in Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat. She has the lead female part!  This year is the 15th anniversary of the community theater group the whole family has been involved in from the beginning.  In fact, Melanie was one of the founding board members. In celebration of that, they are going to do a “Cabaret” after the regular performance that will feature songs by past cast members of previous plays. David, Melanie, Jessica, Clarissa and Nathanael (if he can arrange a flight home) will all participate. Zach can’t get off work or would also be there.

Last edited by Pvillelou (7/26/2024 1:17 pm)

7/27/2024 9:12 am  #51

TO START YOUR DAY......

• “Your mother has been with us for 20 years,” said John. “Isn’t it time she got a place of her own?” Helen’s brow furrowed, and she replied, “I thought she was your mother.”

HOLLY......THANKS FOR THE ANSWER.  I USUALLY HAVE WHITE VINEGAR AROUND.

TRISH......IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE READY TO TAKE THAT TRIP.

DEVONNE. ....THOSE TOMATO HORNWORMS CAN BE DEVASTATING TO A TOMATO PLANT.  ONE DAY ITS THERE THE NEXT ITS A SKELETON WITH ALL ITS LEAVES EATEN AWAY.  ITS BEST TO JUST RUN YOUR HANDS ALONG THE BRANCHES TO FEEL FOR A SOFT BODY AND PULL IT OFF.  THEY ARE VERY HARD TO SEE BEING THE SAME GREEN AS THE PLANT.

WE HAVEN'T SEEN OUR BJ POSTING LATELY.  I HOPE SHE'S NOT HAVING MORE ISSUES.

I WILL BE WATCHING SOME OF THE OLYMPIC EVENTS TODAY.  MY FAVORITES ARE SCHEDULED. 
OTHER THAN THAT NOTHING TO DO.  BACK IS STILL ACHING A BIT BUT NOT AS BAD AS YESTERDAY.  I MAY BE HEALING.
TAKE CARE LADIES.  STAY SAFE.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (7/27/2024 9:18 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

7/27/2024 9:24 am  #52

Sandra, maybe BJ needs Tracy there to remind her to post? 
I just spent an hour in the sewing room, did a Halloween themed table runner top, and laid out the next one. My floor lamp should be delivered today. 

My plan for today is read, crochet, and figure out what’s for dinner. 

7/27/2024 9:26 am  #53

Have a great weekend everyone. Today is a quiet day for me.

Greg and Carter are flying back from Tucson. They went in July, hoping to witness the Monsoon, which they did on Thursday. He got some amazing pictures. I was invited, but it's too hot for me during the summer in Arizona.

D e v o n n e

7/27/2024 10:29 am  #54

We had a good time with our group yesterday.  I always wish I didn't have to go, then wish it wasn't over.  Some of us never grow up!    Howard has been out in the back pulling weeds.  He's sitting here with his shirt off trying to cool off.  Doors are open and it's comfortable without the A/C.  "Summertime, and the livin' is easy!"
I wish...  Another pleasantry though is, Shena and Tom's single rooster is happily crowing and crowing...

Devonne, nice one! (NOT)   QB, I can't imagine running my hand over a branch to feel for  horn worms!  
But can understand the efficacy of that.  I CAN pick up an earthworm, though, with no qualms.  Should be the same difference. 

Earlier this morning, we watched our resident ground hog sunning himself and eating from the grass all the while watching, watching  for any predator.  He or his ilk have been living under our yard barn for years.  We only ever see one.  I looked up info on them, but it wasn't very interesting or comprehensive.

Andrew is home for the weekend again.  No new info on his job search.  Being a process, it will take some time.  He's having coffee with his life-long friend, Karl who's also home from NASA  in Houston where he's a space engineer.  They were also roommates at Purdue.  

Well, I'm scrambling for something to say so will spare you further and do as Holly...figure out supper!
Indy   

Last edited by indyanny (7/27/2024 10:30 am)

7/27/2024 5:03 pm  #55

We decided on cheesesteak. But the local place went on vacation! So he had a frozen pizza, and I had a turkey sandwich. 

I didn’t get much accomplished today, and it took me all day! 

Board footera