OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

6/21/2024 8:34 am  #41

Re: ODT SUNDDAY JUNE 16 ~ SAT JUNE 22

Another hot one, 95 predicted! Happy day after Solstice, the days will get shorter now. Seems like the wheel of time keeps spinning faster. 

When we shopped at Aldi this week, I got their bakery cookies of oatmeal with cranberries. Large, soft, and did not dry out. 

This week marks 8 years that I’ve been retired! Yikes! 

6/21/2024 9:29 am  #42

Good Morning, Tracy spent the night and just got up. took the dog outside.  Guess we'll be getting going on our day now.  I've done my exercises, so I'm ready.  She needs to meet the inspector at the rental house at 10, so we've got plenty of time.  Do believe it is all ready to rent.  So that's nice!!  We have a renter ready to move in, just have to be sure the rental is ready.

Tracy just got up so we're ready to take on the day.  Can't believe it is so warm outside already.  My mind is just not what it used to be, so forgive me if I repeat things.  I try to check so I'm not repeating, but you know how it is, I hope!!

Well, I need to get off here and check in with Tracy.  Hope you all have a wonderful day, sending love and best wishes, BJ. 

6/21/2024 9:49 am  #43

WE MUST HAVE CAUGHT THE TAIL END OF THAT STORM, ALBERTO.  WE WERE HAVING A HOT SUNNY DAY AT 92 WHEN A FIERCE STORM BLEW THRU.  THUNDER AND LIGHTNING AND HEAVY RAIN CAME DOWN IN BUCKETS.  IT WAS ENOUGH TO DROP THE TEMPS 20 DEGREES BUT ALSO TO KNOCK OUT MY CABLE.
BUT I LEARNED SOMETHING TO MY ADVANTAGE.  I WAS WATCHING A ZOO PROGRAM I HAD RECORDED THE DAY BEFORE AT THE TIME THE CABLE WENT OUT AND THE SHOW CONTINUED TO PLAY.  ASTOUNDED ME.  I GUESS IF YOU DO NOT MOVE YOUR DIAL TO A LIVE CHANNEL THE DVR CAN KEEP RECORDING SHOWS.  SO ALL NITE I JUST SWITCHED TO ANOTHER PROGRAM OR MOVIE WHEN THE FINAL CREDITS BEGAN SO IT WOULD NOT BOUNCE BACK TO NORMAL CHANNELS.  WORKED GREAT.  THO NO LANDLINE OR INTERNET OR TV CHANNELS, I COULD WATCH THE RECORDINGS. AS LONG AS WE KEPT OUR POWER. I HAVE PLENTY OF PROGRAMMING SAVED SO I WAS HAPPY. 
I ALSO MADE A BIG POT OF MASHED POTATOES.  I WAS HOPING TO GET THEM DONE BEFORE ANY POWER OUTAGE AND WE NEVER LOST POWER.  ANOTHER GOOD THING .  I WANT TO TRY THE MASHED POTATO CAKES SINCE THEY MAY BE SIMILAR TO MY ORIGINAL POTATO PANCAKES TO SUBSTITUTE AND NO MORE GRATING TATERS FOR ME. 
PLANS FOR TODAY ARE COOKING, LAUNDRY, TAKING OUT THE TRASH AND MAYBE VACUUMING.  ITS A LOVELY DAY HERE.  WE ARE BACK TO NORMAL TEMPS IN THE 60S AND 70S.  LOVE IT.  HAPPY SUMMER.
HUGS FOR ALL, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (6/21/2024 9:59 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

6/21/2024 1:04 pm  #44

I cut my hair this morning...about 1" off. My hair is thick and coarse and has more body when it's kept short. 

Holly, I wasn't going to comment because I did see it as political. It's hard to want to share and it's off limits, but everyone has different opinions.  Congratulations on being retired for 8 years. Does it seem that long?

Greg stayed until 10:00 pm and showed me so many different things about Apple TV and surround sound, I'll never remember them all. Apple TV is a lot faster than my Roku. I still have Roku in the bedrooms. You have to buy separate Apple TV boxes for each TV. My surround sound will be a lot better when I get a newer tv, but it's a huge improvement already. He set up Spotify for me and showed me how to do playlists, favorite songs, etc. He brought my newer tv in here from my bedroom to show me the difference in the color and the sound. Looks like a new tv is in my future. Not sure if I'm going to get the 75" tv. I have to mark with blue tape on my wall to see if it looks too big in here. 

I went to Wendys for lunch. I like their apple pecan salad, but there were two buses of kids! I left and went to Zaxbys. It was like a freezer in there, so I ate in the car. Greg told me I could have placed a mobile order & got it rather quick. Didn't even think about that, lol.

Stopped by Ingles and all I got was meat. I like their meat department. 

Last edited by DownSouth (6/21/2024 1:04 pm)

D e v o n n e

6/21/2024 2:33 pm  #45

Maybe I need a specific definition of what is political to the group, so I can avoid it here. I’ve mentioned that my state senator has a trial going on now, is that political to the group? To me, advocating a specific platform is political, like, Vote for Jed Bartlett because he’s the whatever. (he was the prez on The West Wing). I have to ponder on it. 

Tomorrow the family is getting together at my nephew’s grave. It’ll be 5 years on the 26th since Joe died of an accidental overdose, but the 26th is a work day. We don’t draw it out, someone usually has a Joe story, and we talk about other family members buried there. We’re never there more than 20 minutes or so, it’s just a good thing to be together and reflect. 

Sandra, how far are you from Caribou? I saw they had the highest recorded temp ever for them. 

6/21/2024 2:47 pm  #46

Holly, what you are saying about what is a political statement is definitely right.  But because we don't want to cause any disagreements here, maybe we need to extend it to anything remotely related that could lead to further comments that are more political.  We are all entitled to our opinions and beliefs but don't want to cause any dissensions here.

Last edited by tricia-anne (6/22/2024 4:09 am)

6/22/2024 4:23 am  #47

We are back home, a few hours ago,, a long drive, some of it in torrential rain, especially when I drove - YIKES! a bit scary at times!
Do you remember when someone posted a pic of a bridge going very high and steep, well we travelled one both ways, I hadn't realised how high and steep till I viewed it coming home, it looks really scary! But it's not when you drive it LOL

HOLLY I understand you wanting to comment on things, but it has to be a 'safe' place here for everyone, each of you will have your own ideas and values that YOU feel comfortable with, and no one would like to be told how/why they should chose  different path.  Your original post had a reference to your mother, you have since deleted it. 

MARYLOU I agree with you - it's really hard to say what constitutes political, but anything that makes reference to how the country is heading I would deem political, please ANYONE let me know BY SENDING A  PM if you want to voice an opinion on this.

DEVONNE 75" is a big TV, I can't have one that big LOL ours is about 60" - I think. I rarely watch it! 

SANDRA that is really interesting about losing cable and  being able to watch recordings, I will try it  next time our internet/cable goes out. I had never even thought of it!

I haven't unpacked my bag yet, will do it in the morning, the Mr was doing is and I wanted to keep out of the way. I have sewing in the morning, so I will get it done early before I go.

I need to get to bed now, I want to read a bit - I love having my Kindle back, now I can read what I wanted to read last week LOL 

Last edited by tricia-anne (6/22/2024 4:24 am)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

6/22/2024 4:35 am  #48

Or we keep it to crafts, hobbies, purchases, food, recipes, family, trips, etc and not mention elections, causes, candidates, or anything that you know will “stir the pot”.
Landscapers got here at 6am to do all the trimming, (usually takes them about 4-6 hours) just so they can beat some of the heat. 🥵 it was 98 yesterday but low humidity. Today could be 100.

Last edited by tricia-anne (6/22/2024 4:09 pm)

6/22/2024 8:53 am  #49

TRISH.......YES, NEXT TIME WE ARE GETTING A STORM, RAIN OR SNOW, I WILL SET MY TV TO A RECORDED PROGRAM SO IF CABLE GOES OUT, I DO NOT LOSE THE CONNECTION.  ONE HAS TO KEEP THE CONNECTION FOR THE DVR BOX GOING.  ONCE YOU MOVE OFF OF IT, YOU'LL LOSE IT ALL.  THE OTHER NITE I WATCHED 3 MIDSOMER MURDERS THAT I LIKE A LOT.  
IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR TRIP IS GOING PRETTY WELL FOR BOTH OF YOU.  THAT'S ALWAYS A GOOD THING.  TRY TO FIND SOMETHING YOU LIKE TO DO AND ENJOY IT.

ITS ANOTHER RAINY DAY HERE BUT JUST A DRIZZLE NOW AND THEN SO NO STORM EXPECTED YET.  I CAN WATCH REGULAR PROGRAMMING SAFELY.

I DID MY PILL SORTING FOR THE WEEK.  SATURDAYS ARE NOT DIFFICULT.  I CLEAN THE BATHROOM AND SORT MY PILLS AND VACUUM.  THEN THE DAY IS MINE.  I HAVE A PORK CHOP AND SOME CHICKEN BREAST DEFROSTED SO NEED TO BAKE THOSE TODAY.  I ALSO PLAN TO TRY THE MASHED POTATOE CAKES.  AFTER LAUNDRY LAST NITE I DID NOT WANT TO BOTHER WITH THOSE.  BUT I AM ANXIOUS TO TRY THEM.  WILL TRY TO REMEMBER TO TAKE PICS SO I CAN POST THE RECIPE ON MY BLOG IF I LIKE IT.

I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE RIGHT NOW.  I GUESS IT WILL BE A SLOW DAY.  I MAY MAKE AN APPLE CAKE.  DEPENDS ON HOW I AM FEELING WHEN ALL THE OTHER STUFF IS DONE.  THAT MEANS MAYBE TOMORROW.  FOR ME ALONE, I CAN SCHEDULE MY LIFE AS I FEEL BEST.  ITS LONELY SOMETIMES, BUT ITS TOLERABLE AND I ENJOY MY LIFE.

HAVE A GOOD DAY MY GOOD FRIENDS.  HUGS FOR ALL, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (6/22/2024 8:58 am)

6/22/2024 8:56 am  #50

Trish, right now our country is heading towards melting! It’s so hot! 87 already this morning! 
We just got back from the cemetery honoring Joe. His ashes are buried with my mom’s, and their joint stone has finally been placed. My niece Samantha gets garden flags made with pix on them, and changes them a few times a year. This one has my parents with a baby Joe. We managed to all not cry this time. My nephews Mike and Jake have really stepped up in watching over Joey, but it will never be the same for the poor kid. I slipped him some cash- gotta be the favorite great aunt! 

Our local VFW does a monthly breakfast fundraiser, and that is today. Ralph went early and brought me home breakfast. They must make a decent profit, they’ve been doing it for years.

Speaking of Veterans, Ralph was out for breakfast Thursday with his group, and a group of cops stopped at the table and thanked them for their service, then paid their bill! That was so nice. 

Does anyone listen to podcasts? Any recommendations? 

6/22/2024 9:02 am  #51

SORRY HOLLY, ALMOST FORGOT.  I AM ABOUT 250 MILES SOUTH OF CARIBOU.  CARIBOU IS CLOSE TO THE CANADAIN BORDER.  LOVELY COUNTRY UP THERE.  

MY SON'S WIFE'S PARENTS LIVE NORTH IN HOULTON MAINE WHICH IS ALSO NEAR THE CANADIAN BORDER AND IN THE WINTER SOMETIMES WHEN THEY WANT TO VISIT, THEY CAN'T.  THEY GET MUCH MORE SNOW THAT WE DO IN THE SOUTH OF THE STATE.

Last edited by quiltbea (6/22/2024 9:04 am)

6/22/2024 9:25 am  #52

Hi, all, from beautiful, hot, sunny, hot, humid, hot Houston!  Did you get the fact that it's hot?  

I hope all of you have indoor plans if you are in the middle of the heat wave.  While it's a real pain for you, it helped us here.  The dome of high pressure pushed Alberto a little farther south than anticipated, so he went in down in the Valley area where the citrus growers can really use a lot of rain right now.  So, it worked out well.  We got 1.48" of slow, drippy rain.  My gardens are so happy.  

Thanks for the compliments on the doll.  I do use patterns for body parts and sometimes the clothes.  Sometimes I wing it.  That was a "wing it" because I wanted to see how the woven ribbon bodice and dangling ribbon skirt would look.  I like it, but my next one will have some improvements.  Everyone's favorite part was the hat which was a piece in my stash of doodads and accessories, and the ribbons were the leftovers from cutting off the skirt pieces to the proper length.  Never let anything go to waste around here.  

Holly, that was very kind of the police officers to buy breakfast for the veterans.  

Devonne, 75" is really big.  You need a large room so that you can sit far enough away.  If you sit too close, the pictures are fuzzy and "pixellated" if you get what I mean.  We have a 52".  That's the biggest we can ever have because the built-in bookcase was built specifically for that size.  I'll attach a picture.  It's taken from 8 feet away.  Yes, Sandra, we're watching Royal Ascot!  The horses, the dresses, the hats!  Glen is the most critical fashion "expert" ever.  

Last edited by Needlecrazy (6/22/2024 9:26 am)

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

6/22/2024 9:50 am  #53

Good Morning, well, Tracy just got up and is taking the dog outside.  It's going to be a lovely day, it is already 64* and the sun is peeking through.  I have no plans for the day and I know Tracy is planning to stay home and work outside.

I've got to go change my clothes as I realize the shirt I have on doesn't go well with the long sleeved shirt I have on over.  Oh, Well, doesn't really matter, but I'll feel better if I change it!!  I'm going to sign off and go visit with Tracy, love having her here!!  Have a wonderful day, everyone, BJ.

6/22/2024 12:59 pm  #54

Welcome home, Trish.   No, our get-together is next Friday.  I'm bringing dessert.  Going to make a Punch Bowl Cake.  Never heard of it before.  Lots of recipes on-line, many the same.

Yes, Carol, I got the "hot".  We lived very near Houston for 2 1/2 years.  You could feel your skin burning on a trip to the mail box in summer!   But, other things I loved--like warm in winter, smoked brisket, shrimp and crabs, one-of-a-kind Texan personalities, and my dear Cajun friend who cared for me  and who helped me immensely.

BJ, that's the style, now--mismatched socks,  several prints worn together, tatters and holes, and odd color combinations.   Remember when blue/green, red/pink, pink/orange, black/brown were no-nos?   So maybe no one but you would have noticed.  Enjoy your nice weather and Tracy...

Having had some sad experiences because of political differences, I steer completely away from that, here and everywhere.  I've been floored by some personal attacks and even lost  the friendship of one of my classmates, since 1st grade, who must have misunderstood my reaction (a nervous laugh because I thought she was kidding)  to something SHE said and after saying "Goodbye, Judy", hung up!  That was six months ago and I plan to never say or do anything that can be taken as political again.  At first, I was disbelieving, then hurt for awhile and, of course, drove my family nuts, but my life has gotten easier without her continual problems and  the hours I spent on the phone with her.  Now, while I still care about her,  I'm  resigned and relieved...and she lives a long way away, so no possibility of running into each other.  

Time for me to quit.  Might bake a hot milk cake.  Might not!  ML gave me a whole gallon of milk and I want to use it up before it goes blinky.    Have a good afternoon, evening and sweet dreams. 
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (6/22/2024 1:00 pm)

6/22/2024 4:05 pm  #55

Good grief, it’s 100 out! That is just not acceptable! We had a dinner of chicken salad, potato salad, green salad, and he put cold cuts into his green salad. 

Judy, I dropped two friends during Covid, nothing political. They had both been friends for 30ish years, and I just got to the point I couldn’t tolerate them. One grew up on Long Island, and was condescending to the rest of us. The other lied about everything to the point that her son wouldn’t have anything to do with her. He’s smarter than me, it took me longer. I just stopped responding to both of their calls, texts, emails and Facebook. It was better for my mental health to not have them in my life. I have no regrets, other than waiting so long. 

For any Hallmark Xmas movie people, I saw they are running new movies once a week starting next week for Xmas in July. I forget what night, though.

6/22/2024 4:36 pm  #56

Oh my gosh!! So cold here, after being in warmer temps for a couple weeks, I had the a/c on as soon as I got up, we never leave it on all night, just gets too hot, but really noticed the temps this morning LOL

I have sewing on today, just unpacked my suitcase, took all of 10 mins, why does he take so long to unpack?? I have things on hangers, also folded ready for the drawers, PLUS I had put the boxes of coffee pods into my bag, and all the small shampoo, body lotions etc. So a bit of walking to put them way. Everythi8ng was clean except what was in the overnight bag. So easy to put away.

JANET sounds like a good idea! That is so hot for the landscapers, ours get used to it as well, I would hate to have to do that!

HOLLY pretty hot for you as well, it's jut another summer day for us LOL So nice you all get together to remember Joe. We do that sometimes for Dianne, I miss her so much still. Doesn't hurt as much now though, It's been 7 years but feels like last year.

INDY I don't know about milk cake?? Is it easy, if so please add it to recipes LOL Like I need anything extra to eat right now, I put on weight while away, not surprised, I ate and drank far more than i usually do, mostly a wine at night with dinner (just one LOL ) which is way more than usual for me. Plus eating out, even though I made good choices. 

BJ I know you enjoy your girls and their visits, have a good time, don't witty about repeating yourself, i do it all the time LOL

CAROL I'll need to go back to look, I didn't really notice the hat, I was so taken with the ribbons. So creative you are, maybe our TV is the same size as yours, I really can't remember, and you have to measure diagonally don't you??

I need to get moving, I am tired today, meeting the girls at the golden arches for coffee, and I may get something to eat, I just haven't eaten yet, and I want to get my hair done, the water up north is awful for  my hair, it just hangs limply, it was so good to just get a glass of water from the tap last night and drink it, it always tasted funny to me. Kind of chlorinated ??

Our apartment was quite large, and well set out, we were right next door to the garbage room,  but it wasn't a problem, doors sealed well so no smell, it was a Meriton - they have lifts that you scan your room key at the 'call' button, and it comes up on a screen with your floor, the lobby and parking levels to select from, then inside they show - if anyone else gets in - what other floors it will stop at,  it also tells you to get car A B or C and how long it would be, 30 secs etc.   couldn't tell you the number of times I had to tell people how they worked. I loved them so quick.
Front desk staff were lovely, during the day at least 5 at the front desk. Cleaning staff in every 3rd day for fresh towels, make the bed and replenish supplies. Linens changed every 2nd visit. 

I would stay there again, but it is a long walk to the large mall, not quite so far to the smaller one, but also a long walk to the surf club. Not a problem for us, but his friends wife doesn't walk far, she needs to stop 1/2 way to sit a minute. 

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

6/22/2024 4:38 pm  #57

Forgot to say, SANDRA your trick won't work for me, the unit is generally off, I don't watch during the day, and he turns it all off when he turns off the TV LOL, how were the potato cakes???

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

6/22/2024 5:21 pm  #58

Another hot one in NE Ohio today too.  It was 94 with a heat index of 100.  Very tropical and humid.  I am staying in the house.  Dean and I went for a 3 mile walk this morning at 8 am but I have been inside since.  It was near 80 degrees after our walk.

I made chicken salad and put cut up grapes and celery in it and Gabriel said it was too sweet.  lol.  We like it with the grapes.  We do not have a Chicken Salad Chick near me, but I looked it up and there is one in Columbus.  Maybe I will see of Anthony and family will go there next time we are down.

It was hot but I made spaghetti with meat-sauce for supper.  I needed something soft to eat since this *!!## temporary cap keeps coming off my tooth and the dentist's office is closed on weekends.  I do have an appointment for Monday to get the permanent one put on.  I was fortunate that I did not swallow the darn thing.  I was eating a salad for lunch and hit a crunchy bit.  Nothing crunchy in my salad so I knew right away it was the cap.  So it will be soft foods for me till Monday.

Aaron, Katie and kids fly out to California in the morning.  They had an 8 a.m. flight and the airline changed it to 5:30 a.m.  Yikes.  That means they have to get up at 3 a.m. to drive the hour to Cleveland in order to check in two hours before flight as required.  Unfortunately the airline is in charge and there is nothing they can do about it.  Was to have an hour layover in Denver, now it is a four hour layover.  I do not like to fly.

Judy, I watched that same PBS show with the home cooks.  I enjoyed it and will look for it next week.  I thought the recipe with the crab cakes looked great too and I don't love crab cakes!!  lol.

Nothing else to say so will sign off and go make some string blocks using my scraps.

6/22/2024 8:31 pm  #59

Carol, I've decided not to get the 75". I used to have a cabinet similar to yours at my last house. Here's a picture of my current tv..this is a 65". I am getting a longer cabinet.

I had strawberry shortcake today. First time I've had it in probably 8 years or longer. It was yummy! 

I hope everyone has a nice, relaxing Sunday. 

Last edited by DownSouth (6/22/2024 8:49 pm)

D e v o n n e

Board footera