OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

6/18/2024 9:37 am  #21

Re: ODT SUNDDAY JUNE 16 ~ SAT JUNE 22

Good Morning to everyone!!  It rained overnight, but not now, thank goodness.  Rhonda stayed overnight and took Frank to Dr. at 7 this morning, know they're doing some work on his hand, not totally sure what.  She's pretty sure they'll be there most of the day.

One of my cleaning ladies will be here in about a half hour.  She'll change the bed and do some cleaning.  She's here for four hours so will get quite a bit done.  It's a true blessing to keep my house clean.  We are very fortunate to have a beautiful home and love to keep it that way.

Well, I don't have anything else to say, it is 55* outside, but no sun.  Very still.  I hope you all have a wonderful day, BJ.

6/18/2024 1:16 pm  #22

We've had so much rain, looking out, I see a healthy vine-type weed is trying to engulf our new A/C.  As always, the weeds are more than taking off.   It's a bit cooler today, hot again tomorrow...

Yes, Carol, in the end, we do have a good time.  And since I'm not a born hostess, it'll probably always be a trial.  One thing I do is write down the things that work so I'm not starting from scratch again since there are several weeks between turns...     Your doll is so whimsical.  Must be great fun to create a whole little "person" as she takes shape and gets a personality of her own.             Smart girl...letting the younger ones swelter! 

Janet, I did have to laugh about the Zumba girls.  I guess to give them their due, they did try.  My experience with many young people now, is mostly being ignored as if I'm not there.  I'm referring to the "flat lines" who clerk in stores.  No eye contact, no comments, seldom a smile, usually talking to  one of their peers instead of doing their job.  Not always, but often... Guess  you won't be going back.  

BJ, that is so nice that you have good help to keep your home shipshape.   I know  you get discouraged, but you still always look for good things and appreciate all the help you and Frank get.  Such a difference from my friend, Shirley, who couldn't see anything good in her situation and ended up with family and friends trying to avoid her.  I always enjoy your comments and even when you say you have nothing to say, who cares?  It's still you and we all love you.   

I'm going to say 'so long'.  Have to figure out something for supper based on a lb. of burger.  Maybe, "Chef Boy Ar Howard" will be grilling again this evening.    Who would have dreamed he'd have taken on that role.  He never complains and I always praise him.  It's deserved.  He's very good--grilled salmon last night, perfectly.  I used to have to tear in and out between grilling and finishing up the sides until he took over.  
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (6/18/2024 1:21 pm)

6/18/2024 2:46 pm  #23

I have many memories of my life with Billy. We had a 9 ft. Christmas tree & the prelit lights would not work. I bought more lights and decided to leave the ones not working on there. I got the job done & went to bed. The next morning, Billy said "I did something nice for you last night. I cut all the lights off the tree." 

Sandra, meds are not working yet. I'm losing faith in meds! 

Carol, I love the eyelet ribbon. You are so creative. I watch someone on YT that lives in Rivera (south Texas). The heat index there has been 115....before June! His parents live there, but he could live anywhere. I think he's crazy, lol. 

My a/c isn't working in my car at all so I'll be taking it somewhere soon. It's the first problem I've had with this 2007 Highlander. I would love to get a newer one, but they are too big now.

Janet, I don't know whether to take their comment as a rude insult or as a nice compliment, lol! 

Last edited by DownSouth (6/18/2024 2:56 pm)

D e v o n n e

6/18/2024 5:23 pm  #24

Janet, to them anyone over 40 is probably ancient! 

Carol, do you follow a pattern for the dolls? I’m impressed with the detail! 

I didn’t leave the house today, too hot.

6/18/2024 8:08 pm  #25

I took it as a fresh remark.  But then I’m easily offended.  💃

6/18/2024 8:15 pm  #26

WHEW, it was a hot one today!! 96 in my area.  To the north and east of us were some wicked storms but I only got a small shower.  We sure could use the rain.  I had to water all my flower beds last night.  Heat index was 101.  Way too hot for me.  I was mostly in the house in the air conditioning.  Dean, as usual, spent the day outside.

Dean can and does fix anything and everything.  He retired as a master auto technician after 35 years.  He can weld and do plumbing.  Electric is the only thing he does not like to do.  My son, Anthony is pretty good at that, so we are good to go.  Dean cuts grass and does yard work for three neighbors who are widows.  He also does a few odd jobs if they need it.  He said the other day, if he did not work on cars on the side, he could make a good business as a handyman.  He has a garage out back with a car "lift" in it and he works on the cars of friends and family.  I am fortunate in that for sure.

We had a really nice Father's Day here.  Aaron grilled chicken and made some delicious tortillas.  His seasoning was great.

I got my temporary crown put on my tooth yesterday.  What  a change from my last one several years ago.  So much computer input done.  The dental assistant used a probe in my mouth to scan my teeth and gums.  I think she did that for 20 minutes.  (At least it seemed like it.)
She kept saying she was going to do it until the computer liked the images.  She was very new to the job, obviously, and very young.  Anyway, it is on and my permanent one will be here in a week.  They send it out to a lab.  Over $1000 for one tooth!!!  Luckily my insurance paid for all but $104.  That did not include the $1200 for the root canal. I paid nothing for that.  I told Dean I was getting my money's worth out my insurance this year.

Continued prayers for J.  My nephew took his second chemo treatment and his hair and beard is coming out in clumps.  His wife was going to shave him but I don't know if she did.  He was bummed about his beard, not so much about the hair.  He says when he beats this cancer, he is selling his house, his parent's house and moving them all to Florida.  He loves it there and said life it too short, so he is living his life not centered around work.  Hopefully he gets to do just that.

Carol, your doll is just adorable. Such details.
Devonne, your story about Billy cutting the tree lights made me chuckle.  Such fond memories for you.
Janet, Kelli tried to get me to Zumba at her fitness club once.  That was enough for me.  I am a clutcz; never was one for dancing of any sort.

Last edited by Chlynn1129 (6/18/2024 8:18 pm)

6/19/2024 9:04 am  #27

GOSH, THE MEMORIES YOU LADIES ARE HATCHING FOR ME.  

MY DAUGHTER AND I TOOK UP TENNIS.  AFTER ONE LESSON I WAS TOO POOPED TO POP.  I HAD BOUGHT A NEW RACQUET AND WHITE TENNIS OUTFIT, TOO.  AND THEN THERE'S THE TIME I TRIED AN AEROBICS CLASS.  I WAS ABOUT DEAD BEFORE THE END OF IT.  MY BIG BODY JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THAT.  I MEAN BIG AND TALL, NOT FAT IN THOSE DAYS.  I WAS TALL AND THIN.  AND THE JOGGING.  I GOT A HORRID PAIN IN MY HAMSTRING BEORE I WAS DONE.
I COULD WORK RINGS AROUND THE FOLKS IN THE OFFICE, MOST TIMES EVEN HELPING OTHERS, BUT WHEN IT CAME TO PHYSICAL STUFF IT WAS TOUGH FOR ME.  TOO MUCH BRAIN, TOO LITTLE BRAWN.

YES JANET, AGE IS RELATIVE.  I REMEMBER ONE TIME DRIVING MY DAU AND HER TEENAGE FRIEND SOMEPLACE AND THE OTHER GAL TOLD US ABOUT THE OLD LADY WHO RAN THE MOM AND POP STORE WE WERE PASSING.  HOW OLD WAS SHE ASKED MY HUSBAND.  "GOSH, SHE MUST HAVE BEEN AROUND 40 OR 45."

CHERYL......I AGREE WITH YOUR NEPHEW.  LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR MOST OF US.  ONE SHOULD DO THE THINGS YOU LOVE MOST AND LIVE WHERE IT PLEASES YOU BEST.  GET SOME ENJOYMENT OUT OF LIFE BEFORE IT ALL ENDS.
YOU HAVE A GOOD INSURANCE POLICY IF THEY ARE PAYING SO MUCH FOR YOUR DENTAL.  LUCKY YOU.  GET THE WORK DONE WHILE YOU CAN. 

ITS A HOTTY.  RIGHT NOW ITS 87 BUT WILL REACH 93 THEY TELL US. ANOTHER HOTTER DAY EXPECTED TOMORROW AND THEN THE HEATWAVE IS OVER.  OUR NITES WILL BE IN THE 70S THOUGH SO LIVABLE.
MY A/C IS DOING JUST FINE.  I AM COMFY COZY.  NO MEALS TO COOK EITHER.  LEFTOVERS AND SANDWICHES ARE APLENTY.  AND ICE CREAM, TOO.  WHO COULD ASK FOR MORE ON A HOT DAY.

WISHING YOU ALL A GOOD ONE.  GET THRU THE HEAT AND DO THE BEST YOU CAN.  HUGS, QB S  

Last edited by quiltbea (6/19/2024 9:18 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

6/19/2024 9:33 am  #28

Good Morning to everyone!!  It's a beautiful morning outside.  It is only 58* now, but sure it will be hotter later.  Very mild breeze up high, but nothing moving down low.  I have no plans for the day, just being a lazy bum!!  Frank had his hand surgery yesterday.  They put some concoction on it that is clear, but doesn't rub off.  So no bandages!  Very strange.

I really don't have anything to say this morning, so will sign off, wishing you all well.   Have a wonderful day, everyone, BJ.

6/19/2024 10:29 am  #29

Do any of you have a restaurant called Chicken Salad Chick near you?  My sis-in-law and I had lunch at one yesterday and loved it!  They have about a dozen kinds of chicken salad and a few sides. I got mine on a croissant, Gay had hers with crackers.  We enjoyed the food so much that we each got another scoop to bring home for today. 

Janet, I’m sorry you were offended by that young gal’s comment. Try to forget it - you can be sure she’s not fretting about it so why let it ruin your day. (I know that is much easier said than done.)

Our 10 day forecast is for highs in the 90’s every day, maybe 100’s over the weekend. Those temps aren’t unusual for us in July and August but it’s not often that hot in June.

6/19/2024 12:38 pm  #30

We have a very nice breeze today and yesterday as well. Enjoying it!

I invited Gary and the kids over at 6:00 for salmon patties and veggies. He loves cabbage, so I'll fix that as well. 

Greg is coming tomorrow to install my surround sound system.

Marylou, I love Chicken Salad Chick. I'm going to get Greg & Carter to go there next week.

Cheryl, I wish you and Dean lived close by. I'd get him to fix my a/c! No clue what that is going to cost. 

Last edited by DownSouth (6/19/2024 12:40 pm)

D e v o n n e

6/19/2024 1:05 pm  #31

Mary Lou, no Chicken Salad Chick here, but last night I watched the new PBS show with the several cooks from all over America and the older woman who won over all the others for the night made her Chinese Chicken Salad which  got raves.    Most people love chicken salad and there are so many great variations.  Even this week, I Little Oscar-ed  some cooked chicken breast, added  only chopped bread and butter pickles and Miracle Whip and if I do say so myself, it was pretty tasty.    (I do have a better, more fancy one for company!.)  

Just had a catch-up call from Howard's ex, Jane, in Alabama.  We hadn't talked in a while.    She always tells me to tell Howard hello and I do the same for her husband, Revaughn, who is a very nice man.  I'm glad some relationships with a built-in resistance factor can still be cordial and friendly.  Better than either he or Jane has with their mutual children, sadly.

Howard went on his own to W-M this morning.  I didn't sleep well last night and he needed to pick up his many meds.  Plus he got a few things we needed and even surprised me with some not on my list.  Nice to not always have to be the one who decides...

Cheryl, you and Dean have a good life, together.    Nice to hear about it.  You present a solid team for your family which they need with all they've dealt with.  Glad your dental work is behind you, and the good payments from your insurance. 

Devonne, all I can say is:  Only Billy...  At the time, you must have wanted to "run into the woods, screaming"!  
My duties this morning were, I made two appts. for us with our ophthalmologist and... scheduled an appointment with the septic tank people.!  Sorry for that crudity, I just couldn't resist. 
Indy    

Last edited by indyanny (6/19/2024 1:06 pm)

6/19/2024 2:24 pm  #32

I just googled, and the closest Chicken Salad Chick is in VA! It sounds like a cool place.

It’s 91 out! We had dinner with the nurses, which was one, our friend Mary E. I had one of the daily specials, chicken Milanese, which I’d never had. Thinly pounded breaded chicken fried. Topped with a lemon wine sauce, arugula, and cherry tomatoes. It was one of the best things I’ve ever had! I hope they have it next month when we go. I brought my salad home and had my veggie soup, brought home tapioca pudding. Came home and took a nap! 

Stay cool all! I saw on Facebook that Yellowstone had snow! Yikes! 

6/20/2024 8:20 am  #33

Good Morning to everyone!  It is only 54* outside right now, but assume it will be hotter later.  The sun is out and the sky is very blue.  Frank  is having a difficult time this morning, he is coughing quite a bit and having some difficult time with soreness around his ribs.  Know he had a lot of trouble with his sleep overnight, moaned and groaned a lot.  I've been up since before 6, really tired, maybe can get a nap later.  I was up a few times with him in the night.

Have no plans for the day.  Will hopefully take a nap later on.  It's such a beautiful day outside, may try to sit outside later on.  I think I will sign off now.  Have a wonderful day, everyone, BJ.

6/20/2024 9:51 am  #34

Another hot one for us. A terrible wildfire in NM. 
I had some phone calls to make, one to Sirius. My promo deal of $7 per month is almost up, and the price would go up to $23 a month! I only listen to music channels. Called and they extended the promo for another year. 

When Ralph got home from breakfast with the Veterans, we went to the Amish Market, got cold cuts, cheese, and soft pretzels. Of course the main road there is messed up with construction. 

I know some of you avoid the news, but you really need to pay attention to what’s going on in the world.

Last edited by Holly in South Jersey (6/20/2024 9:57 pm)

6/20/2024 10:22 am  #35

I JUST WANTED TO CHECK IN TODAY.  COMPUTER SLOW.  I NEED TO RESTART IT BUT WILL DO THAT LATER.  
I AM FINE.  I WON 3 BUCKS AT BINGO SO IT WAS A GOOD NITE.  
HOT AGAIN TODAY.  ITS 92 RIGHT NOW BUT WON'T GET MUCH WARMER.
THEN BACK TO NORMAL TEMPS TOMORROW.
I PLAN TO MAKE A BIG POT OF MASHED TATERS TODAY SO I CAN TRY A NEW RECIPE TOMORROW FOR POTATO CAKES WITH SOME LEFTOVERS.  SOUNDS GOOD
HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SUMMER LADIES.
HUGS, QB S 

HUGS, QB S 

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

6/20/2024 10:56 am  #36

Because it's the first day of summer, I'm going to do some redecorating.  I have a collection for sea shell boxes and other sea shell stuff to exchange with my current decor.  Also want to put different wall hangings/ small quilts up.  Maybe even dig out my small tabletop fountain.  I love it, but sometimes the constant "running water" sound is too much.  I know...pull the plug!  

We are supposed to go out to lunch with another couple.  He and Howard figure out when and Arnie was supposed to call for either Thurs. or Fri.   Guess not Thurs., huh?  That's okay.  He's old and forgetful and it's not a big deal.    

BJ, I hope Frank feels better quickly.  From what Tracy said the other day, she should be through with work very soon--maybe already, now.  Will allow her to spend more time with you and I know that's a huge blessing.  
Enjoy your beautiful weather.  A spell sitting outside sounds good...

One thing Howard bought, yesterday, was a whole chicken.  I figured it was something easy for him to pick up.
So, that will go into the crockpot in a few minutes for supper, tonight and more.   Nice to get several meals out of one chicken.  Speaking of which, I know this sounds silly, but I'm enjoying hearing the next door rooster.  He crows at various times during the day and something about it, makes me smile.  Same with the cicadas.  They make a mellow enough constant hum, but it isn't annoying. to me.   Of course, the more there are of them, the louder, but not here, plus I don't much hear them  or the rooster with the house shut up and the A/C on--only when I step out.  I love the sounds of summer, except for  storms.  

Going to get that chicken on and shower and wash my hair.  I tried for a cut appt. this morning, but they're off, today.  Have a good day and keep cool...
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (6/20/2024 10:58 am)

6/20/2024 12:34 pm  #37

Carol, hope Alberto didn't leave too much rain for you. It wasn't as bad a tropical storm as I thought it would be. 

First time Sadie Grace has stayed ALL night with me. She seemed to really enjoy it...I did too except for the YT videos she watches, lol. She wouldn't like what I watch either!

I have a few hours to rest before Greg gets here.

Judy, I love changing out decor but I haven't done much of it this year.

BJ, hope Frank starts to feel better. I love the cool weather you are having, while most of us are in the 90's and higher.

My first tomatoes of the season. I got them all planted too late. These are Sun Sugar yellow cherry tomatoes. They are supposed to be the sweetest. 

Last edited by DownSouth (6/20/2024 12:41 pm)

D e v o n n e

6/20/2024 9:00 pm  #38

=19.5pxWe are packing up today, leave here in the morning and travel all day, get home by dinner 😄😄

SANDRA thanks for the info on the shows, actually saw a Father Brown last night, it was an older though. I was hoping there was going to be more Mid Somer, none yet though. Your day sounds restful and happy. Let us know about the potato cakes 😄

BJ poor Frank, hope he feels better soon, his hand may be painful (((hugs)))

DEVONNE they look good, tiny but they’ll grow quickly. That’s a good memory about Billy, one of mine about mine is him cutting through the Christmas lights in the garden TWICE with the whipper snipper 😱, so I can understand how you felt 🤣🤣

CAROL your doll is gorgeous, you are so creative, I love the gingham - great idea to let the young ones get hot 😄😄

THERESA hope you are surviving OK, best wishes as you continue to search for places (((hugs)))

HOLLY please don’t bring up politics, I’m sure everyone can decide what is important to them. Makes it peaceful here if we don’t discuss here, it can be political ad free - thank you.
I hadn’t heard of chipped beef, searched it out, not something we’ve ever had,  I know dad had canned beef occasionaly during WW2, he always hated it.

JANET it’s probably too hot even for the pool, yikes high temps in your country right now.

INDY so - is it Friday lunch 😄😄, the Mr has now got a cold, so we had takeaway chinese last night, we stayed till today so he could watch the finals at the bowling club, he’s making do with what they are screening on tv 😄😄.

I have the last load of washing on, just put in the dryer now. I want clean clothes to take home, may as well use their power 😄.

our friends all left today, they have been nice company. I made good use of Britbox and Netflix in the apartment.

I can’t remember if I told you about the comp on Monday, he and Mick won 2 of 3 games - all tough games AND if they had played the very first bowls well in the first game they would probably have won that, the other team got 5 points on the first ‘end’ as they call them. They only lost that game by 4😄 if they’d won then they would have had to play the next day, they were secretly glad of that ❤️

looking forward to being home tomorrow, I miss my own bed

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

6/20/2024 9:37 pm  #39

Trish, I don’t consider what I said to be politics. Political would have been “vote for X because Y is bad” or “party x is saying we should whatever” . I’m saying we all need to be aware of what’s going on, globally, from wildfires to Ebola. LOL, I share plenty on facebook, I don’t need to do it here. 

6/21/2024 8:12 am  #40

Thanks Trish.  I agree.

Last edited by Missmommy (6/21/2024 8:13 am)

Board footera