OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

6/02/2024 12:47 am  #1

ODT SUNDDAY JUNE 16 ~ SAT JUNE 22

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

6/15/2024 11:52 pm  #2

Re: ODT SUNDDAY JUNE 16 ~ SAT JUNE 22

J is still battling pneumonia and has grown very weak. Continued prayers are appreciated.

We've had stormy and cool weather the last few days. Crazy for June!

Happy Father's Day to all our men!

(((hugs!!!))) & prayers!     ~MnM~ aka Diane

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!" 

6/16/2024 7:52 am  #3

Diane- 🙏🏻

6/16/2024 9:00 am  #4

DIANE.......PRAYERS AND POSITIVE THOUGHTS CONTINUE FOR J.  SHE IS HAVING A TERRIBLY LONG STRUGGLE BUT SHE MUST BE STRONG.  SHE KEEPS ON FIGHTING.  ALL A GOOD THING.  HUGS.

TRISH.......I AM HAPPY OUR PBS STATIONS ARE FINALLY OVER THEIR FUNDRAISING WEEKS.  THE NEW SEASON FOR BOTH PROFESSOR T AND GRANTCHESTER BEGIN TONITE.  THE PROF T IS THE NEW ONE WITH BRITISH BEN MILLER IN THE LEAD.  HE'S GOOD IN THE ROLE.  CHANGES IN GRANTCHESTER ARE COMING. ENJOYED SISTER BONNIFACE LAST NIGHT.
IT SEEMS YOU ARE LEARNING TO COPE PRETTY WELL WITH THIS TRIP.   I LIKE THAT YOU ARE FINDING THE POSITIVE IN THE EXPERIENCE.  NO SENSE MAKING YOURSELF MISERABLE IF YOU CAN DO SOMETHING YOU LIKE.

THERESA........SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE DOING GOOD WITH THE HUNT FOR MOM'S NEW PLACE.  THE ONES YOU MENTION SOUND BETTER THAN HER CURRENT PLACE SO EVEN IF THEY WERE NOT CLOSING OUT THE CURRENT RESIDENTS, I WOULD MOVE HER ELSEWHERE.  YOU'VE NOT BEEN HAPPY WITH THEIR CARE OF HER FOREVER.
HOW SMART TO TAKE ALONG HANDWORK WHEN YOU VISIT.  AT LEAST YOU ARE GETTING SOMETHING DONE.

JUDY......YES, KIDS THESE DAYS SEEM TO BE MUCH OVERWEIGHT.  THEY GET NO EXERCISE.  THEY SIT IN FRONT OF COMPUTERS AND ONLINE GAMES DAY AFTER DAY.  ITS SUCH A SHAME. 
MY HUBBY ALWAYS TOLD ME AT LEAST I DID NOT GAIN WEIGHT UNTIL I STARTED GETTING OLDER.  OF COURSE, MINE STARTED IN MY 50S WHEN I STOPPED SMOKING.  INSTEAD OF SMOKING CIGARETTES I ATE FOOD.  BUT HECK, ALL THE FOOD TASTED GREAT.

SORRY.  I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CHIPPED BEEF.  CAN'T HELP THERE.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT YOU USE COCONUT OIL FOR?  ITS MY FIRST TIME BUYING IT AND FOR ME I WANTED TO TRY IT WITH MAKING WALNUT CLUSTERS.  I HEARD IT WILL HELP HARDEN THE CHOCOLATE.  I MAKE CHEAP CLUSTERS THESE DAYS AND THEY ALMOST MELT IN MY HAND WHILE I'M EATING THEM THOUGH THEY SURE ARE TASTY.
ARE THERE OTHER USES FOR COCONUT OIL?

ITS ANOTHER LOVELY DAY HERE.  WE ARE BLESSED NOT HAVING EXTREME HEAT YET.  I'M SURE OUR 90S DAYS ARE COMING BUT FOR US THEY USUALLY ONLY LAST 2 OR 3 DAYS TOPS BUT THE EVENINGS STILL COOL DOWN SO ITS LIVABLE.

ITS SUNDAY SO YOU KNOW IS MY DAY OF REST AND NO HOUSE CLEANING FOR ME.  I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO COOK.  I HAVE LEFTOVER CASSEROLE AND I BAKED A CHICKEN BREAST LAST NITE.  ITS TV AND SOLITAIRE AND SOME READING ON MY SCHEDULE.
WISHING YOU ALL A GOOD DAY. HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (6/16/2024 9:18 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

6/16/2024 9:15 am  #5

Another hot one here today. 

Trish, I'm glad you have learned to cope with this trip and make the best of it. I never thought about it being an allergic reaction to the dogs. I'm not helping with whatever this is, as I finally forced myself to shampoo the carpet. Think I'm going to put on a mask. Maybe getting the carpet cleaned will help! It's going to be a hit and miss in the main areas of the bedrooms, but I'll do the entire living room. I will be taking my time & resting in between.

Holly, I don't know anything about chipped beef...never heard of it.

Sandra, you can use coconut oil for anything you use other oils for in  cooking and baking. I often use it instead of butter. When I melt chocolate chips in the microwave, I add coconut oil as it helps to stir it and gives the chocolate a nice gloss. I put it in my homemade dog food. I haven't bought vegetable or canola oil in many years. 

Continued prayers for J, Diane. 

Last edited by DownSouth (6/16/2024 9:28 am)

D e v o n n e

6/16/2024 12:39 pm  #6

I’m amazed that chipped beef is regional! It’s paper thin sliced salted beef that you brown in butter and cover with a white sauce, and have over toast or waffles. In the service they refer to it as sh*t on a shingle, LOL. I buy it frozen by Stauffers and microwave it. Very hearty. 

We had lunch at Applebees with F and C, then stopped and got water ice on the way home. It’s predicted to be in the 90’s all week, and Carol is predicted to have flooding again. 

6/16/2024 12:43 pm  #7

Sandra, I don’t cook much and have never used coconut oil in the kitchen. But I do use it as a skin moisturizer!  It’s pretty greasy so I only apply it at bedtime. I had noticed that my skin felt so nice after I got a massage so I asked Lynnlee what she used - coconut oil! 

We don’t eat chipped beef either but I remember Dad telling about sh*t on a shingle from his time in the navy. Mom, Grandma and I used to fix creamed tuna (very simple, just a can of cream of celery soup and a can of tuna) over toast. This was something we had when it was just the three of us because no one else  liked it.

I agree that many kids today are too heavy but there also many who are not. After this topic was brought up, I looked around at church this morning. Of the 40 or so kids and youth there, I saw only one who looked overweight.  However, at least a third of the adults need to lose a few pounds!

Two more home maintenance projects got done here this week. The exterminator came on Monday and sprayed for insects and used tracking powder for the voles who have been eating my flower bulbs. I also found someone to replace the pull-down stairs to the attic. After that was finished, I spent part of two days cleaning the garage.  The floor needs scrubbed but a good sweeping is all I could do.   Discarded a few things and straightened the rest. The storage cabinet still needs cleaned out but I’m hoping David will have time to help me sort through stuff there because I don’t know what he might want, what might be needed here, and what to discard.

I have someone lined up to come clean the patio and someone else to fix a bad place in the roof (he did a temporary fix early in the spring but couldn’t finish because it was raining). I might get some painting done but I can’t think about that until all these other things are done. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - I don’t like taking care of all of this stuff by myself! 

On a more positive note … my air conditioner seems to be running a lot less often after the attic insulation was redone. I’m hoping I see a smaller electric bill.

Last edited by Pvillelou (6/16/2024 12:47 pm)

6/16/2024 1:11 pm  #8

Good day everyone. Not sure if there has been any updates recently. The "bank" called at 4 am one day last week and notified mom that someone was trying to access their accounts. Appears to be true. It's so sad there are so many dishonest people we share this earth with. anyway, the bank suggested we just unplug for a few days and let things settle. 
Frank (dad) slid off his bed onto the floor while mom was out getting bloodwork with Rhonda, and an ice cream stop. He crawled to another room but still couldn't pull himself up. I am at work until the 17th so of course i'm no help. They returned and called the neighbor George to help. He had some serious back pain, feared a cracked rib so another Dr appt for Rhonda to run to. EVERYONE is fine. Sore and recovering. Dad has cancer surgery on Tuesday morning on his hand so that will be a challenging day as well. 
We are ready for sunny days and no work!!!!
I will be around more. No trip to Maine this year. Too tough without Uncle Bill. 
You should be caught up for the most part. 
Tracy

Last edited by WA-BJ (6/16/2024 1:12 pm)

6/17/2024 8:49 am  #9

TRACY/BJ.....ITS NICE FOR YOU TO CHECK IN AND REPORT FOR MOM AND DAD.  THEY ARE LUCKY TO HAVE YOU GALS AND YOUR HUBS WHO DO SO MUCH FOR THEM.  I HOPE MOM AND DAD ARE HAVING A GOOD DAY.

MARYLOU......THE REASON YOU DIDN'T SEE ANY OVERWEIGHT KIDS AT CHURCH IS PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL AT HOME PLAYING GAMES ONLINE.  LOL.  JUST A JOKE.  HOPEFULLY THAT TELLS US THAT MANY KIDS ARE STILL DOING THE RIGHT THING FOR THEIR BODIES.

ITS ANOTHER LOVELY DAY HERE.  NOT MUCH PLANNED.  A BIT OF TOUCHUP CLEANING ON THE RANGE AND THE AIR VENT.  ITS SO EASY NOW THAT I KEEP IT UP WEEKLY.  AS FOR COOKING, I HAVE NO IDEA OF ANYTHING SPECIAL.  I AM DEFROSTING GROUND BEEF BUT THAT MAY WORK OUT FOR CHEESEBURGERS LATER.  CAN'T BE SURE.  DEPENDS ON HOW I FEEL.  WHEN I FEEL LAZY OR JUST WAKE FROM AN AFTERNOON NAP, I AM NOT EAGER TO COOK SO ITS USUALLY SANDWICHES.

AS FOR WEATHER, IT LOOKS LIKE WE WILL GET A COUPLE OF 94-96 DEGREE DAYS HERE ON WED AND THURS.  MUCH TOO HOT FOR US  I WILL BE STAYING INDOORS.  SINCE I NO LONGER HAVE A GARDEN TO TEND, THAT MEANS I CAN STAY INDOORS WITH THE A/C UNIT KEEPING ME COMFY.  I HOPE THERE ARE NO BROWN-OUTS WITH THE ELECTRIC DRAIN FOR AIR CONDITIONING.

THAT'S IT LADIES FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY.  JUST ANOTHER DAY IN MY LIFE.  WISHING YOU ALL A GOOD ONE.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (6/17/2024 8:52 am)

6/17/2024 9:02 am  #10

Tracy, thanks for the update and glad everyone is fine. I hope Frank's surgery goes well tomorrow and hope he's ok from the fall.

Marylou, where do you find your handymen? I found a guy on Facebook Marketplace to install my handicap bar in the shower. He said he would come install a ceiling fan last Monday or Tuesday. I haven't heard from him, so looking for someone else. 

I have an appt. on June 26th about my feet. I hurt them when we went to Yosemite years ago. The road was closed due to snow, so we had to walk up a hill if we wanted to see the big trees. We were so naive, we didn't have a backpack, no water & had no clue how many miles this was. Greg couldn't believe we did that. I'm paying for that long walk now. I also tried to make an appt. on the same day about my knees. I need another cortisone shot. She said I couldn't do that for insurance reasons, so I made it for July 10th. I am getting this old body fixed up! 

I like one bedroom and the living room being finished with shampooing the carpet. I'm not doing my sewing room, as its already clean. 

Has anyone bought a washable area rug? I bought one at Ross for Less for my bedroom, a 5x7, and you really can wash them. I let it dry on the patio. I'm replacing my area rugs in the living and dining room with washable rugs. 

Last edited by DownSouth (6/17/2024 9:11 am)

D e v o n n e

6/17/2024 9:11 am  #11

Holly, I did mention chipped beef--guess that was in my 'lost' post last week.     And yes, the military "chefs" called it S. O. S. according to my sailor, Howard!    Maybe some would know it as Creamed Dried Beef on toast.   And, like you, if we have it, I let Stouffer's make it! Personally, I liked it better when it was sold in a glass jar and was more ragged/free form than the round paper thin slices it comes as, now, and of course, I hated it when it was served for school lunches.  

Howard got texts for Father's Day from ML, Danny, David, his brother, Michael and sister, Linda.  ML usually shows up with a card, but she's not been feeling well. I know he was pleased to hear from his son, David and bless Michael's sweet heart...  He's Howard's baby brother, same age as his son, Steve, who we never, ever hear from.  Michael always remembers his birthday and Father's Day.

It's going to be in the 90's all week, here.  We had one lulu of a rainstorm last night--a cloud burst.  My beautiful plant is all mashed down from the force of it, but it's slowly drying and popping back up.   We'll keep the house closed up to avoid the humidity as much as possible.  

Mary Lou, you're really getting a lot done.  If it was me, I would need my son to come and identify the things that are in the garage.  Much of what Howard has, I have no idea what it is. 

Well, time to do something.  Like QB, I take Sunday off as a day of rest.    Have a good one...
Indy  

Last edited by indyanny (6/17/2024 9:12 am)

6/17/2024 9:52 am  #12

Good Morning to you all!!  Hope everyone is doing well.  It is rainy here this morning or has been.  Very gray day out this morning, hope it clears up later.  Well, I hear Frank is up and in the bathroom, so I'm sure I'll see him in a bit.

I have no plans for the day, so will sign off and maybe play some games on computer or maybe go in living room and sit down and watch TV, hard to say!!

I'm going to sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

6/17/2024 10:33 am  #13

Just came in from watering my plants. I don't have many this year, but I'm trying to grow a watermelon in a big container. Experimenting, lol.

Today would have been our 57th wedding anniversary. I manage things pretty well because I was used to managing things, so it's not difficult to do.

Last edited by DownSouth (6/17/2024 10:34 am)

D e v o n n e

6/17/2024 11:08 am  #14

Happy Anniversary Devonne, I hope it brings sweet memories. 
I had library books in, so we went there, then went to Aldi’s again, there were things I wanted more of, and we really browsed the store this time. Their prices are really lower, of course the selection is limited. I didn’t look at meat, I’m a meat snob. Perks always did their own grinding and cutting, so I know it wasn’t from China. When they closed, I started using the butcher shop at the Amish market. 

It’s 86 already, so now we’re in for the day. 

6/17/2024 12:50 pm  #15

93 here now and high humidity and full sun!  We just canceled our weekend car show trip because of the heat advisory for the weekend…99+.  Good move, I’d say.

6/17/2024 2:48 pm  #16

Devonne, finding a handyman can be a problem. This time I first asked a recently retired carpenter who attends same church I do. He was busy doing a bathroom remodel for his son but suggested someone else. I was really pleased with that person, he was reliable, did good work, and was polite.

6/18/2024 7:31 am  #17

Good morning, all, from beautiful, sunny Houston.  It won't be that way for long.  We're expecting a big storm, but the worst of it is heading south of us.  The good thing is that we're slated for 6-8" worth of rain.  My gardens will be happy.  If you don't hear from me, I'm okay.  It's just turning off the computer during thunderstorms that we are expecting for the next couple of days. 

Devonne, I found our contractor/handyman by asking lots of people.  Abraham is a good friend of a neighbor, so when I saw his work in the neighbor's house, I was sold on his craftsmanship.  It's hard to find someone.  I hope your anniversary brought good memories.

Theresa, continued good wishes to all of you in the ongoing saga of your mom's issues.  A special hug for Todd for all of his support.  

Judy, it sounds as though your Friday meetings are really fun for everyone, even if you do get anxious over hosting.  

Holly, you sure do stay busy even though you're retired.  I know your family is a huge source of joy for you, so good that you do so much with them. 

Sandra, did Tom make it downstairs?  Now you have an excuse to walk up and down a few stairs every once in a while.  It's so hard to do, isn't it?  

No ballpark for me this week.  Lots of the younger tour guides are begging for more hours, so I "volunteered" to take some time off and let them work in the heat.  Ha, ha!  When they find new full-time jobs and leave suddenly, I'll be here and ready to step in.  So, I'm hanging out in my studio with lots to keep me going.  Here's the latest doll.  She was an exchange with the theme of using pearls.  Summer to me means eyelet lace and gingham.  

Last edited by Needlecrazy (6/18/2024 7:43 am)

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

6/18/2024 8:48 am  #18

CAROL......SMART MOVE FOR YOU LETTING THE OTHERS TOUR THE PARK DURING THE WORST OF THE HEAT.  YOU WILL GET YOUR SHARE OF TOURS COMING UP SOON I'M SURE.
LOVE YOUR LITTLE DOLL.  SHE'S ADORABLE.  WHAT DO YOU DO WITH ALL YOUR DOLLS?  SELL THEM OR GIVE THEM AWAY TO FRIENDS AND RELATIVES?  

DEVONNE......I HOPE THE NEW MEDS ARE DOING SOME HELP FOR YOU.  ITS BEEN A FEW DAYS NOW.

LINDA.......HOW ARE YOU FARING LATELY?  I REALIZE HUBBY IS HAVING MORE ISSUES SO IT MAKES THINGS TOUGHER FOR YOU.  YOU ARE LUCKY TO HAVE YOUR SON THERE TO HELP WITH ERRANDS AND SHOPPING.
HOW IS THE NEW GREAT GRAND DOING?  GROWING LIKE A WEED I EXPECT.

TRISH......I NEED TO REPORT ON THE NEW SEASON OF FATHER BROWN.  HE HAS A NEW CLUSTER AROUND HIM.  EVERYONE EXCEPT THE DEAR SERGEANT IS GONE.  I AM TRYING TO GET USED TO THEM.  I'M NOT TOO KEEN ON THEM EXCEPT FOR THE INSPECTOR WHO IS A FORMER ONE WHO CAME BACK FROM SCOTLAND YARD.  HIM I ALWAYS LIKED EVEN WHEN HE WAS A THORN IN FATHER'S HIDE.
ALSO GRANTCHESTER.  THINGS ARE CHANGING.  I UNDERSTAND THE STAR WANTS TO DO OTHER THINGS.  HE'S BEEN GETTING INTO MORE DIRECTING.  ANYWAY, HE WILL SHIFT OUT OF THERE.  AS LONG AS THEY KEEP THE INSPECTOR I MAY BE CONTENT.  ITS TOUGH GETTING USED TO NEW ACTORS.
AND PROFESSOR T IS BACK WITH BEN MILLER IN THE LEAD.  HE'S DOING WELL IN THE PART.  

TODAY IS GOING TO WARM UP TO ABOUT 89 LATER.  TOMORROW WILL HIT THE MID-90Sf BUT THE EVENING WILL DROP BACK TO THE 70S SO ITS OK.  AS LONG AS THE A/C KEEPS RUNNING, I'LL BE CONTENT TO READ, PLAY GAMES, WATCH TV AND COOK A FEW THINGS.  TODAY I HAVE SHELL PASTA AND MEAT SAUCE ON MY MENU.

FOR THOSE ASKING, YES TOM HAS MOVED DOWNSTAIRS AS OF YESTERDAY.  I HOPE THE NEWCOMER IS A FRIENDLY TYPE.  THEY WILL BE REDOING THINGS IN TOM'S OLD APT AS THEY USUALLY DO WHEN SOMEONE MOVES OUT.  CARPETS SHAMPOOED, REPLACMENT APPLIANCES IF NEEDED, ETC.  I DON'T EXPECT A NEW NEIGHBOR FOR AT LEAST A FEW WEEKS.  I WILL MISS TOM NEXT DOOR BUT NOT ENTIRELY.  HE'S JUST BENEATH ME AND I WILL SEE HIM WHEN I DELIVER HIS FOOD NOW AND THEN AND ALSO WHEN HE BRINGS OSCAR UP TO PLAY WITH BONNY DOWN THE HALL.  THEY LOVE TO ROMP AROUND TOGTHER ALONG THE HALLWAY.

I THINK THAT'S ALL I CAN REMEMBER TO REPORT.  I DON'T HAVE MUCH PLANNED TODAY BUT THEN I LIVE IN THE SLOW LANE THESE DAYS.  HAVE A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (6/18/2024 8:54 am)

6/18/2024 9:26 am  #19

Does anyone remember doing Zumba to Latin Music?  I did it for years, even on cruises.  So when I heard the Y had Zumba classes I went.  It was awful.  It was like a scene out of MTV.  All Rap and “gangster” music.  Bumping and grinding.  I was the oldest, what a surprise…and the others were less than 40, mostly 20’s.  I should have left then. But I stayed.  When I was ready to leave two of the girls maybe 20-22 said to me  “ nice to see someone your age trying to do this.”  🤬
When I got home and DH, he asked me if either of them still had their teeth?  It was 4 days ago and I’m still angry.

6/18/2024 9:27 am  #20

Carol…love the doll.
  About contractors. IMHO around here they all are awful and unreliable.  That’s why DH does most everything….hes slow but his work is good.

Board footera