OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

5/05/2024 4:25 am  #1

ODT SUNDAY MAY 26 ~ SAT JUNE 1

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

5/25/2024 11:15 pm  #2

Re: ODT SUNDAY MAY 26 ~ SAT JUNE 1

Happy Sunday, ladies!

It is a cool, somewhat drizzly Memorial Day Weekend here in Western Washington. 🤪

J is still in the hospital and still in the need for prayers, and I'm grateful to know that my friends here are indeed praying!
Thank you!

I'm looking forward to getting new glasses late June to early July, and I hope to see much better and be able to spend more time on the computer. 👍🏻

I hope all is well with all of you! ❤️🙏🏻❤️

(((hugs!!!))) & prayers!     ~MnM~ aka Diane

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!" 

5/26/2024 12:55 am  #3

THANK YOU DIANE!

I am sorry about J still being in hospital, but great news on new glasses for you !

SANDRA I was going to ask you about your shopping, but forgot it's tomorrow that your shopper will be doing it for you LOL  My shopper (Pete ) did shopping here yesterday, he's a good boy LOL He shops well, thinks about what is needed, I hadn't left a list. W can do it, but with a list that I do, he doesn't think to check if we may run out of things. He's of the opinion that the stores are open every day and he'll go when he needs something. can't teach an old dog new tricks with that one!!

CAROL that is gorgeous - I see the stars in the sashing, they do look good, but I love the extra border as well, really sets it all off ((((hugs))))'

I am negative as of this morning, still coughing, but went to the chemist and got some things that hopefully will help, didn't get much sleep last night with the coughing. 

I got my washing done and dried, and have even done a little sewing today, finally got the QAYG blocks out and started quilting them, that was going to be 1/2 finished I had hoped this weekend - oh well - the best laid plans !!

HOLLY I will check out that author, I am trying to pile on some books to take away. My Kindle will take 100s, and I want to have plenty to read, those long flights are so boring, you can only watch so much in movies etc.  And our first leg is 15 hours, followed by another 8 1/2 hours  - YUK worst part of travelling for us, but we have to do it. 

At least when you have others in your group you can always chat to them, and we do take needlework if we can, some airlines don't want you to have needles, but I usually take a couple small ones, and I have a small threader/cutter. 

I finally got some cookies made that I wanted at camp, think I wrecked up the recipe, they are big, and I've had to put them back in the oven a couple times, I should have added more cinnamon as well, for a first time they are OK though, they are gluten free oatmeal cookies. It says 2 heaped tablespoons per cookie (a USA recipe) I think they meant TEASPOONS, that would have made a better size and cooked in the time given.
Stuff like that happens when you get things off the internet LOL

INDY I hope Andrew decides soon what he wants, he's only young and plenty of things he'll want to do and change, I know you've said before he wanted to live in Chicago, so I guess that's where his dream is. Good luck to him

Our John is stressed this week, University exams, and Dean also has his exams, though he's not too concerned.( his main aim being to better his brothers score LOL )  John has realised that cruising through high school is easy compared to university LOL I'm sure he'll do ok, but he  stresses like his mum. 

I have been tidying up around the house, being tucked away in the spare room  and coming out and seeing the state the kitchen has  almost made me cry !! Honestly, he tried, but he just doesn't clean up and put away properly.

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

5/26/2024 9:47 am  #4

Good Morning, it's been raining most of the night, can't tell if it still is!!  Tracy is planning on taking me to a shopping area we both love.  My hips are so bad may just stay in the car and let her shop.  There's a squirrel running around on the lawn.  Funny little thing!!  Oh, I can see it is still raining, not that we need it.  Jamie cut the lawn yesterday, it looks so nice.  He's a peach!!

Frank got up early and is in the bathroom.  As soon as Tracy gets up and moving, I'll have my shower, it will be nice to have that done.  Wow, it is pouring outside!!  Well, I really don't have anything else to say, so will sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

5/26/2024 10:08 am  #5

Trish, you sure do have a lot of things going on to be sick. I couldn''t handle a flight that long because I refuse to use the nasty, germy facilities on a plane. When we went to Hawaii, I went before we boarded & immediately after we got off. 

Today is Gary & Emily's 32nd anniversary.  I got gift card(s) and bought their breakfast at Waffle House & the kids. Sadie Grace was in a bad mood & accused Emily of taking her breakfast, lol. 

Today is tv day. I do have things to do...maybe later, but not now. 

Diane, good news on the new glasses! I know how anxious you must be. Continued prayers for J. I say a prayer before I leave here as I don't want to forget. 

BJ, I hope you have a wonderful Sunday. Do you use a wheelchair when you go shopping or just a walker? Hopefully, Tracy can push you around.

ETA: Judy, I read your message and replied. 

Carol, the quilt is beautiful. I really like the pattern that is pink and has the small heart in the center (4th row I believe). I was in the Scraps to Treasures challenge once, but I'll be a watcher this time. 

Last edited by DownSouth (5/26/2024 10:42 am)

D e v o n n e

5/26/2024 10:16 am  #6

DIANE......PRAYERS CONTINUE FOR J.  SHE'S HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING CLEAR OF HER ISSUES.  I WISH IT WOULD BE EASIER FOR HER.
NICE ON THE GOOD NEWS FOR GLASSES MAKING THINGS SO MUCH BETTER FOR YOU.

TRISH......GOOD TO SEE YOU POSTING AND DOING SO MUCH.  HOW YOU CAN HANDLE ALL YOU DO IS A MYSTERY TO ME. ESPECIALLY WITH YOU AILING.  HUGS GIRL.
MY SON SHOPS FOR ME TWICE A MONTH.  NOT THIS WEEK, BUT ON JUNE 1ST OR 2ND NEXT.  I AM ALREADY PLANNING HIS CHICKEN RICE SOUP TO TAKE HOME.  

DEVONNE......YOU ARE A THOUGHTFUL MUM, ALWAYS.  THEY ARE LUCKY TO HAVE YOU.

LINDA.......I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A GOOD DAY.  I KNOW THAT LIKE ME, YOU HAVE YOUR GOOD AND BAD ONES REGULARLY.  AND I KNOW THAT YOUR NEW EXCERCISE TOOL IS ALREADY STARTING TO WORK FOR YOU AND HUBBY.  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

I WAS JUST COMING HERE TO SAY GOOD MORNING AND HAVE A GOOD DAY BUT SOMETIMES I NEED TO UPDATE MY THOUGHTS DEPENDING ON WHO HAS POSTED.
ITS SUNDAY, MY DAY OF REST.  I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO COOK TODAY.  IT'LL BE A LAZY DAY FOR ME.
STAY SAFE FRIENDS.  HUGS, QB S 

OH GOSH TRISH, I NEARLY FORGOT.  I SAW ON YOUTUBE THAT THE NEW SHOW BEYOND PARADISE WITH YOUR FAVORITE DETECTIVE D I GOODMAN PLAYED BY KRIS MARSHALL IS SHOWING THE NEW SERIES ON BRITBOX.  HE'S IN LONDON NOW I BELIEVE, WITH HIS NEW BRIDE, STILL SOLVING MURDERS.

Last edited by quiltbea (5/26/2024 10:27 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

5/26/2024 10:40 am  #7

Good morning.  Thank you all for your prayers for J!

And thanks for your well wishes on my glasses!

However....🤪

To be clear, and while I'm optimistic,  I do not actually have new glasses yet, and cannot even go for a new rx for another month.  🤪

I am wearing my old glasses and cannot focus all that well with them since the cornea surgical procedures changed the shape of both corneas.  This has limited my time here and on all devices. I will get new glasses in late June to early July, 😊 and I'm hoping (and am optimistic) that they will help immensely! 👍🏻💃🏼

Thanks again! 🤗

(((hugs!!!))) & prayers!     ~MnM~ aka Diane

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!" 

5/26/2024 10:53 am  #8

This is my hybrid tea rose called Chicago Peace.

Two that are fully bloomed out right below this one....

Last edited by DownSouth (5/26/2024 10:55 am)

D e v o n n e

5/26/2024 11:53 am  #9

I have been deleting photos so sharing this one with y'all. I thought you might be interested to see where Theresa and I live on a Georgia map.

I am in Villa Rica, west of Atlanta. I live 1 1/2 hours from Birmingham, AL. I am close to the Alabama state line. Theresa is in Johns Creek, north of Atlanta. She is about 1 1/2 hours from me. I live in an agricultural, rural farming area, while she is in a heavy congested area, where more people work. My area has grown and I wish I lived in a smaller town. Greg lives in Powder Springs, a 45 minute drive and Gary lives in Temple, which is to the left of Villa Rica, an 8 mile drive. 

We lived in Douglasville for 25 years. It's where we bought our first house in 1970.

D e v o n n e

5/26/2024 2:02 pm  #10

Thanks, Devonne.  I'm a map person. Always grabbing the Rand McNally when anyone is traveling or planning to.  GPS is wonderful and often a life saver but I like to look at a real map to see where I am.  Followed ML/Bill on their recent journey.  Congrats on 32 yrs. for Gary and Emily.  They've been through a lot.  You too!  

Thanks for the encouragement for Andrew.  You said it very clearly, Holly and your dad made a good point. 
When Andrew drove me home on Christmas, we had about 5 mins. alone between our two houses.  He  told me how much he appreciates all his folks have done and admitted he knows how good he's had it, so I know he's a thoughtful and grateful young person but also doesn't want to settle for what is a great job, but not where he wants to live and maybe not what he wants to do forever.  Taxes!  Can you imagine?  Well, since I can't "add", no wonder taxes sound terrible to me.  I/We (his parents) think he'd make a great financial planner.  He's always wanted to help people in some way.  But, also  its a process.  You don't necessarily start out exactly where you want and with what you want.  

WE made it to live church today.  First time in months.  I'm not bragging or complaining--just not our usual long-term lifestyle.  And it was good:  to see people we hadn't seen in months, to check out the new arrangements, they're meeting in the gym while the sanctuary is getting an uplift, and the walk in was much shorter for me.
In fact, my back and hips are a bit better.  Didn't need the cane this morning  We stopped at Subway on the corner on the way home and ate hearty sandwiches.  Howard like steak and cheese, grilled and I get an American sub, unheated, both with lots of veg's.  Aren't you glad I shared that bit of useless information? 

So much for sports upstairs.  Howard is camped in the living room with football on.  I may ask him nicely to go upstairs so I can have the TV or I may just leave it alone and read the Sunday paper.  That I can read with the TV on, a book, I can't concentrate on.  So with that, I'm off...
Indy  

Last edited by indyanny (5/26/2024 2:03 pm)

5/26/2024 4:05 pm  #11

I surrender! AC on! 

5/26/2024 5:19 pm  #12

Holly, I agree with you; today is AC fir the first time this year too.  Very humid.  It is raining now and an hour to the west of us has tornado warnings out again.  Ohio has been slammed with them this year.

Janet, I love meatloaf made from ground turkey.  Do you add some green peppers to it?  My mom did when she made turkey meatloaf but not in the beef.

We have not had a land line for at least 8 or nine years.  I was very leery of not having a house phone but honestly, we do not miss it either.

Trish, I made a marinade for grilled chicken today from Recipe tin eats.  It was a honey/garlic one and it was very good.

Indy, I am a map person too.  I love to look at them and always navigated when we took trips.  I still like it over the phone directions as they do not always go the fasted way.

We had our Memorial Day get together today since Katie has to work tomorrow.  Tomorrow Gabriel has to march in the parade to the memorial site where they will do some patriotic songs and then the military will honor the fallen soldiers.  We usually do have a picnic of some sort.  They are smaller now since most of the family is not living close, so today just Aaron, Katie and kids and us.  I did travel 90 minutes to and from to my home town on Friday to put flowers on gravesites, especially my step dads (2 of them) since they were both in the military.  Some military order, not sure who, puts flags on all of the veterans greaves and all the flags look so nice in the cemetery.

Last edited by Chlynn1129 (5/26/2024 5:21 pm)

5/27/2024 9:33 am  #13

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY EVERYONE.  

NO CELEBRATING FOR ME BUT I THINK I WILL GRILL A COUPLE OF HOT DOGS IN BUNS SO I GET THAT OLDTIME FEELING WHEN WE USED TO CELEBRATE ALL THE HOLIDAYS.  SOMETIMES I MISS THEM.
OTHER THAN THAT MY DAY WILL BE A REPEAT OF MY LAZY SUNDAY.

DEVONNE....THANKS FOR POSTING SUCH PRETTY ROSES.  I USED TO HAVE THE ORIGINAL PEACE ROSE, WHICH IS MORE YELLOW WITH PINK EDGES.  

DIANE......I'M SORRY, I KNEW YOU MEANT YOU WOULD GET GLASSES IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS.  I SHOULD HAVE TYPED THAT ITS GOOD NEWS THAT THE TIME IS COMING SOON WHEN YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE MUCH BETTER.  ANYWAY I AM CROSSING MY FINGERS THAT WILL HAPPEN.  MY GOOF.

AFTER ALL THE HOT DAYS, TODAY IS CLOUDY AFTER RAIN SHOWERS LAST NIGHT AND ONLY IN THE 50S TODAY.  THOSE THAT CELEBRATE WILL HAVE A CHILLY DAY FOR IT.  NOT ME.  I AM STAYING INDOORS AND CELEBRATING WITH MY HOT DOGS AND I THINK I IWLL MAKE MYSELF SOME WALNUT CLUSTERS.  I LOVE MY NUTS AND CHOCOLATE AND NEED SOME TO FILL THE VOID.

HAVE A GOOD DAY.

HUGS FOR YOU ALL, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (5/27/2024 9:39 am)

5/27/2024 9:49 am  #14

Well, I wrote a nice message, but deleted it somehow!!  Hope everyone is well.  I'm not very bright this morning so will sign off, BJ.

5/27/2024 9:49 am  #15

Today is our 52nd anniversary! Yikes! We don’t plan to go out, so many places are closed today. 

5/27/2024 10:01 am  #16

OOPS, SORRY HOLLY.   FOR SOME REASON I THOUGHT YOUR ANNIVERSARY WAS TOMORROW.  DUH.  SOMETIMES THE OLD GRAY CELLS ARE GRAYER THAN I THINK.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. 

Last edited by quiltbea (5/27/2024 10:01 am)

5/27/2024 11:46 am  #17

I thought of Billy's nephew today. He lost his leg in Vietnam. We also lost some school friends and my first boyfriend lost his life over there. What a wasted war and lives.

My power went out at 8 am and stayed out until 11 am. I couldn''t get my garage door open because the cord is right in the center of my vehicle. I had to call Walmart because I had a grocery order to pick up. I was an hour late, but all was fine. I'll ask Greg if there's a solution to this cord problem. My garage isn't big, so I can't park over to the side away from the cord. 

Greg and Carter are on the way here. Hopefully, he's going to redo my curtain rod today, raise it higher & make it more sturdier with the plastic wall anchors. We will grill later, nothing special, burgers and hot dogs. Carter doesn't like burgers very much. Gary & Emily had plans to grill out with her best friend. I know they much prefer going over there because we are not beer drinking people here and they have an above ground pool for the kids. 

So sad about all the lives lost to these horrible tornadoes. It seems like they just aren't letting up for folks in so many states. 

I'm glad you liked the map...so much easier to understand locations.

Why do you use Better Than Bouillon? Doesn't all the spices added give the meat enough flavor?

Last edited by DownSouth (5/27/2024 11:47 am)

D e v o n n e

5/27/2024 1:41 pm  #18

Devonne,  I couldn't find anyone's comment on Better Than Bouillon (if that's what you meant)  but I use it to "beef" up the flavor of beefy-type broths for veg. soup or chili, if the broth also needs more salt.  If already plenty salty, it's too much. I only buy the beef flavor but I see they have quite a few others, now.  Howard doesn't complain about the food I cook unless it's too salty...

Happy Anniversary, Holly and Ralph.  Hope you're having a good day with many good memories.  

QB, do you have a grill? And if so, do you grill outside?  Maybe you have one of those thingys you can grill inside with.  I often warm a hot dog in the microwave and then "grill" it over the gas stove flame.  Anyway, enjoy your 'dogs'. 

I just called ML.  She's having a reflux flareup.  Poor kid!  She spends a lot of time working on her stomach problems.  She says Andrew is studying so I'm going to text him...just "hello" and how are you doing"?  

We watched part of the PBS Memorial Concert last evening.  It's always so meaningful and worthwhile.  Howard, being a vet, is quite touched by the stories as I am.  Grandpa was a Quaker and conscientious objector during World War One, but he was called up and served in the hospitals in France.  My biological dad was drafted, but due to back issues, ended up in the hospital and couldn't continue.  My two uncles served in the Army, one as a paratrooper and the other was drafted after WWII was over, but he still served.    
Howard's dad paid a drunk to sign for him at age 15 and he served 14 years in the Navy  some of it as a Sea Bee during the Korean War and after.  He came down with the Asian Flu and spent 18 mos. in Great Lakes Military Hospital before being discharged.  I worked as a secretary in the Army Recruiting Office in town, here, where I met Howard.(No hanky panky.  We were both divorcees.)    That's our military history.   I don't think mine counts, though...  Not being flippant but I had to add that, which I've told  you all before.  

Going to go.  Have some texts to send.  Need to tell the other "girls" what to bring to our gathering on Friday, here.  
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (5/27/2024 1:44 pm)

5/27/2024 3:38 pm  #19

Judy, lots of good memories! My cousin Linda was 6 and was my flower girl. She put up a group pic from my wedding and talked about how excited she was to be in a real wedding, and how she loved her dress, and how I had the band and everyone sing Happy Birthday to her and my cousin Billy. It was so nice to read. At that time, child free wedding were the thing, but I wanted all my cousins, and all of Ralph’s cousins there. It was the first wedding most of them had been to, and they had a blast. 

We had enough leftovers from Longhorn for both of us, so that was our dinner. It’s been raining off and on all day, and a lot of places are closed today, so it worked out well.

Our family has had military losses in wars, which I know from Ancestry. None in the last two generations. Ralph is the only one in my generation to serve, the others were too young for Vietnam. My cousin’s son was in Afghanistan, and happily came home fine. 

5/27/2024 5:04 pm  #20

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HOLLY!!!!

Today was rainy and cool, so much needed respite from that humidity.

We had left over grilled chicken breasts from yesterday so that will be our supper along with veggies and homemade ranch dip.

Amelia needs a new swim suit since they will be going to California the last week of June.  She is in that in-between stage from kids to young adult sizes.  She is a little plump so things are tight on her but the tops are too big in the boob area of women sizes.  We looked for several hours and did not find anything that she liked or that fit.  Most were too skimpy for her and she will not wear them.  I looked online and JC Penney had several in the "plus" sizes for kids , but of course, all were out of stock!!    So many of our children are overweight these days and the clothes sell out fast.

My older brother served during Vietnam and was there for a short time but spent most of his service in Korea.  Two of his good buddies were killed in an explosion in Korea.  One of my good friends was a tank driver in Vietnam and he did not come home either.  Such a loss.

Board footera