OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

5/15/2024 7:10 am  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY MAY 12 ~ SAT MAY 18

Trish- I really don’t mind the rain….we always need water for the pool…and it also means I don’t have to do any outside work.  I deplore bugs and dirt. Ha….some gardener, lol

5/15/2024 9:17 am  #22

Good Morning to everyone!!  It is a beautiful day here but the sun is barely shining, no breeze!  I have no plans for the day, will just sit around, like usual.  Took Frank his coffee, don't believe he has any plans for the day.  Gloria will be here tomorrow to clean, she was due Monday, but we had other plans, so she was fine with coming Thursday.  I'm really glad, as it needs it!

I got weighed this morning and I've gained 2#, so I've got to really watch it and get rid of that and a few more!!  Helen paid her rent so that's nice and I need to get it in the bank.  I also need to call my friend, Shirley, tried yesterday, but she wasn't home, so may try again today.

Well, I really don't have much of anything to say, so will sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

5/15/2024 10:20 am  #23

TRISH.......THE FIRST THING THAT ATTRACTS ME IS A VOICE.  I HEARD MY FUTURE HUBBY'S VOICE BEFORE I SAW HIM AND THEN IT WAS LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT.  ITS THE SAME WITH ACTORS.  SO I CAN SEE HOW INSPECTOR LYNLEY APPEALED TO YOU.  I WILL HAVE TO HOPE TO SEE THAT SERIES SOON ON OUR PBS STATIONS.

ITS ANOTHER LOVELY DAY HERE.  SURPRISINGLY ITS BEEN IN THE 60S DAYS AND 50S NITES OR JUST THE 40S.  STRANGE FOR US THIS EARLY IN THE SEASON.  USUALLY THE LAST FROST IS AROUND MEMORIAL DAY SO WE PLANT TOMATOES AROUND THE TENTH OF JUNE.  I WON'T BE PLANTING ANY THIS YEAR BUT I SURE WOULD HAVE TRIED A COUPLE TO SEE IF THEY BEAT THE FROST AND I GOT EARLY TOMATOES. OF COURSE, I WOULD HAVE HAD TOWELS HANDY IN CASE A FROST WAS DUE.

MY DAU AND GRDAUS WILL BE HERE TOMORROW TO CELEBRATE MOTHER'S DAY WITH ME.  ITS MY DAU'S DAY OFF FROM THE BAKERY.  SHE WORKS ALL WEEKENDS.  IT WILL BE NICE TO SEE THEM AGAIN SINCE I ONLY SEE THEM WHEN THEY TAKE ME TO DR APPTS NOW AND THEN,  AND THAT'S ONLY 3 TIMES A YEAR.  TWO TO MY HEART MAN AND 1 TO MY REGULAR CHECKUP A YEAR. I HAVE SOME STUFF FOR THEM AGAIN SINCE I WAS CLEARING OUT A BIT MORE.  ITS ALL THINGS THEY CAN USE.

I HAVE BINGO TONITE.  I HOPE TO WIN A BIT.  EVEN 50 CENTS WILL MAKE ME HAPPY.  

COOKING IS AT A STANDSTILL FOR TODAY WITH BINGO LOOMING BUT I HAVE BOTH STEAK AND CHICKEN BREASTS DEFROSTING.  I NEVER KNOW WHAT I WANT AND LIVING ALONE, I CAN JUST EAT WHATEVER TAKES MY FANCY.

I WISH YOU ALL A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (5/15/2024 10:22 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

5/15/2024 12:06 pm  #24

It's been cool here at night, too.  Enough so, that I've brought in the lovely hanging basket-type plant ML got me for Mother's day.  Howard thought that was unnecessary but it's so beautiful and I wasn't taking any chances.

As it turned out, I did get my Mother's Day phone call from Danny and he never talked about the "mother of his children".  (I always have to "eat crow"!)  And, ML called Sunday from the road.  They have loved Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio.  Pics she's sent are gorgeous.  Are driving to W. Virginia, today.  We got our favorite pizza, for supper, that night.  I just finished the last piece for my lunch.  

One other correction I must make.  About dogs.  I must admit that having seen others do this, when the church did a new directory a few years ago, we took Fancy along and included her in our directory picture.  She was still in her prime and took the best picture of the three of us!   So you see, I'm just as nutty as all the other dog owners!  Howard agreed and went along with it, but you don't think HE would have ever done that on his own, do you?  

Friend, Cheryl thinks she has a bat in her house.  She has dark wood  tall open ceilings.  Said she'd have to look in daylight when they hang around and try to find it.  Having heard they don't like fans, she turned one on in her bedroom last night,   Guess it worked but she felt chilly.  Ew!  a bat...

We can't see the Northern Lights here--too many tall trees to the north in the way.  Should have driven to Lake Michigan but we seldom drive at night anymore, only for a necessity.  But, that should have been a clear view.

I just found the error H. made in the checkbook--no judgment, we all make mistakes, but he feels foolish and I'm not the figures guy, here.  Since his stroke, once in awhile, he makes a double entry of the same debit or check  and so far, I've been able to find them.  Different eyes, you know...

So, better end this.  Have  a few tasks calling me, one being wash my hair, so better get at it.  Have a nice afternoon.  
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (5/15/2024 12:12 pm)

5/15/2024 12:23 pm  #25

We’re having a good day. The housecleaner was here for her monthly visit, with every penny! Then we had lunch with the nurses, which was one nurse this month, at a diner. I got an open faced turkey (real turkey) sandwich with mashed potatoes and broccoli. I brought home enough for dinner for both of us! I had the veggie soup and brought home the salad, as well as the tapioca pudding. Not bad for $12! 

it’s been in the 40’s at night here as well, now it’s 64 and going to rain. 

New pix on my blog of my xs and Jules in her prom dress. 

Heather was here Monday, brought me a butterfly bush for Mother’s Day. We went out for lunch, and I got the omelette special, an omelette with potatoes, bacon and cheese in it. Came with soup. I had a third of the omelette there, and Ralph and I split the other 2/3 and hash browns for breakfast the next day. 

I agree on voices. Ralph watches some show called Ridiculousness and I can’t even stay in the room, her voices grates on me. 

5/15/2024 3:33 pm  #26

Been waiting until my laptop charged so I could post. I don't like posting on my Iphone because the print is so small.

A lazy day here today. Tomorrow I will get in high gear and get some things done. 

Judy, when I changed banks, I was thinking about ordering new checks. Greg said, "Mom, that's old school." I probably used 2 out of the checkbook I had, so I didn't order anymore.

Back in the 70's, our mortgage interest rate was 7.5%. We were young and it never crossed our mind to "send in a little more" or to "refinance."  Greg has refinanced his house twice and his interest rate is 2.8%. 

Holly, beautiful dress! The "lady in red"....

Last edited by DownSouth (5/15/2024 3:34 pm)

D e v o n n e

5/15/2024 4:21 pm  #27

Think I should clarify putting "dog food" in my instant pot, lol. Here's the ingredients:

1 lb. ground chuck
1 lb. ground turkey
sweet potatoes
peas & carrots
eggs
rice

(sometimes I use broccoli).

D e v o n n e

5/15/2024 4:35 pm  #28

Devonne, checks are old school, but. To pay my water and sewer bill online, they charge a fee of $5.99! So I write a check. When I had the electricians out, if I paid online, there was a 3% charge, so I wrote a check. I write maybe one or two a month. Thanks for the compliment to Jules, she does look good in vivid colors. 

I think refinancing is easier now than it was when we had a mortgage. Ed has refinanced a few times, when rates were low. 

5/15/2024 7:49 pm  #29

I still use checks for specific things too.  For example, my house taxes for the county charges 3% to use a debit or credit card, so I write a check.  Three percent on top of $4000 adds up.  I also use checks when I want a paper trail for one reason or another.  Aaron had to pay the Federal taxes due to a mix up with the new company and they wanted a check.  Since he did not have any, we sent the check and he paid us.  It is old school, but still here for now. lol!

It was a humid, sort of rainy day so I mostly stayed inside.  Dean, as usual, was doing work outside.  He can always stay busy.

Devonne, I hear you about the weight; Dean and I cut out sugar and sweets and most "white" carbs like bread, pasta.  In the two weeks, he has lost 7 pounds off of his 165 pound frame.  (He is a skinny one.)  I followed the same eating pattern and did not lose one pound.  He said he did not understand it.  I said a slow female metabolism and not so much exercise.  He moves from 8 in the morning until 6 at night, every day, doing something.

I did not get out to see the Northern Lights.  I did see lots of pictures on Facebook and on the news, but like Judy, too many trees here.  I would have had to drive to an open area and did not do that.

Judy, Hocking Hills is indeed a beautiful place!!  We have been down a couple of times and plan to go again this summer or fall.  It is about 3 hours from me.

Last edited by Chlynn1129 (5/15/2024 7:50 pm)

5/16/2024 8:41 am  #30

I GUESS I AM JUST TOO OLD-FASHIONED.  I PAY MOST THINGS BY CHECK.  THE ONLY THINGS NOT DONE SO ARE THINGS I ORDER ONLINE THRU MY CREDIT CARD AND THE CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS I CAN MAKE DIRECTLY FROM CHECKING ACCT TO THE CREDIT CARD.  I GOT STUNG BY PAYING SOMETHING AUTOMATICALLY BY CREDIT CARD BEFORE SO I JUST DON'T TRUST IT.  

ITS A SORT OF GLOOMY DAY HERE.  HAD SOME SHOWERS THIS MORNING BUT IT SEEMS TO BE CLEARING.  ITS STILL IN A GOOD RANGE OF TEMPS THO.

MY FAMILY SHOULD BE VISITING ME TODAY SO THAT'S SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO TODAY.  OTHER THAN THAT I WILL READ AND TAKE OUT SOME SAUSAGE TO DEFROST FROM SOME TATER TOT CASSEROLE THIS WEEKEND. MY SON SHOPS FOR ME SO HE CAN TAKE SOME HOME WITH HIM, TOO.

OH GOSH, MY TERRIFIC NEIGHBOR TOM AND HIS LITTLE DOG WILL BE MOVING.  BUT NOT FAR.  HE HAS SUCH BAD KNEES THAT MGMT IS MOVING HIM TO A FIRST-FLOOR APT NOW THAT ONE'S AVAILABLE.  HE IS DUE FOR AN OPERATION ON ONE KNEE THIS FALL.  I HOPE HE GETS SOME RELIEF.  HE DOES SUFFER SO MUCH.

NO OTHER NEW NEWS FROM ME.  OH YES, I LOST 50 CENTS AT BINGO LAST NITE BUT I ENJOYED THE COMRADERIE WE SHARE.  AND THE UPDATES ON NEWS WITH THE NEIGHBORS.

WISHING YOU ALL A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (5/16/2024 8:43 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

5/16/2024 9:54 am  #31

Good Morning, looks like rain here, just so gloomy.  Have no plans for the day.  Frank has a Dr. appt. at 11, so Rhonda is coming over to take him.  That's really nice to have a daughter to do that sort of think for us.  Don't know what we'd do without her.  It is 56* outside and a slight breeze.

I don't have anything to say this morning, so think I will just sign off and wish you all well, BJ.

5/16/2024 9:57 am  #32

Sandra, hope you get another great neighbor when Tom moves downstairs. It's wonderful an apt. was available to him. Good you will still get to see him & his little buddy.

Checks will be around for awhile, even if they are old school. This will be the first year I've paid my property taxes without a check. If they charge to use my debit card, I'll get a money order. 

Cheryl, I also cut out sugars, pasta, bread & potatoes. The potatoes were hard to give up. I use zucchini spiral for pasta (in the freezer). You have to squeeze out a lot of water. I put it in the oven for a bit, add pasta on top, hamburger, cheese, etc. Greg told me about Heart of Palms angel hair pasta, only 4g carbs. It looks like pasta, but I don't know how it would taste,(probably yuck, lol!) 

I bought a new glucose meter...still had Billy's old one. The strips said 2021. My reading was 123 this morning and I hadn't ate anything since 7 pm. I'm pre-diabetic, but I hope to change that. 

Last edited by DownSouth (5/16/2024 10:11 am)

D e v o n n e

5/16/2024 11:25 am  #33

=26pxmy phone battery was having a shorter time between charging, and it was an iPhone 11, so I traded it in and got a 15. We were there for 2 hours! About 45 minutes of that was the new phone decided it had to update while we were switching, then it took a long while to transfer everything to the new phone, Ralph is now synching it to my watch, then he’ll synch it to the car. I have to go on Amazon and order a new case. 

Last edited by tricia-anne (5/17/2024 4:33 am)

5/16/2024 12:13 pm  #34

I probably should cancel my personal check book.  I say personal  because I've had it for 33 years and I'm the only one who (seldom) uses it.  It's sort of a pain since there's so little activity on it, that we sometimes have a problem.  Don't get me wrong, we share all financial things/stuff, but what we call Howard's checkbook, is what all the activity is on.  I don't think we pay extra for anything when using the credit card.  Howard's pretty savvy about such.  

Cheryl, the pics they've sent are gorgeous.  They're at  the New River Gorge area, in W. Virginia, today.  Interestingly, only  3 hours from Big Stone Gap, VA where Howard's sister lives.  I discovered that when I looked up where they are.
I wish Howard was a little more active.  He, like me, sits around too much.  He's still dealing with his COPD diagnosis and the changes it's brought about.  I remember Kelli used to joke a bit about Dean's skinny legs.  Better that than fat legs, which I know all about!  

So, Devonne, is it really dog food or food for you?  I'm confused.  Sounds more than  good enough for you/me to eat.   ...or share with the dogs. 

We have to go out for pop for our gathering, tomorrow.  W-M didn't have what I want.  The others bring drinks I've never heard of not being much of a soft drink drinker.  I don't want to look too cheap or too dumb!    I'd much rather make a salad, dessert or bring bread than the drinks. 
Making this rather short as I have many things calling me and nothing done, yet.  
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (5/16/2024 12:16 pm)

5/17/2024 4:32 am  #35

SANDRA you are right, I love the voices first, sometimes I can't deal with the actor playing the part if it's a book I've read, and they don't fit my idea of the character. This guys voice I could listen to all day LOL
Good for you, only a little loss, and cheap fun!!

DEVONNE I'm confused, is it dog food, or just looks like it, it sounds like what they cook for heir dogs. those critters eat well LOL

INDY too funny, I'm the same, we don't buy "soft drink" as it's called here, I have a soda water maker, and love it with a bit of either lemon or lime, AND I was given a few fresh limes to day at sewing, they look and smell delicious!

CHERYL Dean sounds like W, always on the move, and gets bored so quickly. He has skinny legs too, we won't talk about the tummy LOL It seems to be growing rapidly LOL 

HOLLY is it all banks that charge for cheques? We didn't have charges for cheques, and they are not used much at all now, except for the Bank Cheque which the bank makes out for you LOL ,  they charge you for that, it's just like cash i guess. we use mostly internet banking, and transfers, we have direct debit for most of our accounts/bills, we get an email to say $$$ will be debited on a certain day. OR I can transfer myself. 
I love the pic of Julie ! She's a very pretty girl. 

BJ you do have wonderful daughters, you are well looked after!

We just got back from the club, W had  rung me when he was on his way, there was a fatality and the road was closed in both directions I had to figure out how to get there, and peak hour too of course. An older asian gentleman had just run across the road, and he was killed. Poor fellow, it's a really busy road. Traffic was pretty good when we left. But we had to park at Gary's, a short walk to the club from there. 

I got my machine back today, I left the lining at home for the Mondo bag darn it but got the bag front together, and  bought extra fusible batting as required for a pattern I found, for scrap baskets -  but it's way too thick, so I will have to find something else to do with it. 
I got my supplies for camp, and paid for the machine service with  my Mothers Day gift voucher. So it was actually a cheap day at sewing.

Tomorrow is training, then I am going (tenpin) bowling at night, I have't bowled in years, so my balls will mostly go into the gutter I think, we are going to dinner after it, I've warned them not to expect  a good score from me

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

5/17/2024 7:20 am  #36

Quick stop.  We're okay.  Bad storm last night, but the worst of the wind missed us.  Downtown Houston looks like a hurricane.  Well, with 100 mph winds and glass windows, that's what happens.  Four people dead when trees fell on their cars.  Close to a million people without power, but they're fixing what they can fix quickly.  Some of the transmission towers are down, so it will take a long time for them to be ready.  

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

5/17/2024 8:46 am  #37

Carol, exactly why I rushed here--to see if you'd checked in.  The pics look awful, all those missing windows, downtown. And they said it WAS a hurricane that stayed on the ground for awhile.   So glad you're okay.  Sorry about the loss of life, though which is always so sad. 

Howard got a call from Dave last evening to go for lunch today.  Wouldn't you know...it's our small group day.
We'd wondered why it had been like 3 weeks since we'd heard from him.  In fact, I had suggested that Howard should call and see if they were alright.   He and a neighbor were taking some trees down when one pivoted, hit Dave in the back of the head (2 stitches) and somehow, shattered his safety glasses.  He was knocked down,  and rolled down a small hill.  The bad thing is, one huge branch is dangling dangerously and he has a plan on how to remove it safely.  In my book, safely would mean he pay someone else  to finished the job.  He can afford that!    Men!

With that, I have things to do.  Just wanted to see about Carol...  Have a wonderful day.  
Indy  

Last edited by indyanny (5/17/2024 8:46 am)

5/17/2024 8:52 am  #38

Trish, I don’t know about all banks, mine doesn’t charge for plain checks, if you order pretty ones from an outside source you pay. 

Sandra, my brother John won’t do anything electronic, it’s checks only. LOL, if it’s somewhere that only does electronic he has me do it and sends me a check. Good thing I love him! 

5/17/2024 8:59 am  #39

Gary is getting a heart monitor today at Emory and they're checking his carotid arteries. 

Carol, glad you are ok. They are telling everyone to stay home. I saw some of the tree damage.

Saturday I got Greg to take down the bird nest on my front porch. Even with the grabber, I couldn't reach it. Can you believe another bird has already built another nest in the same place? Before I even got the porch cleaned off, lol. Those little birds are so smart. They had packed mud (or clay?) on the bottom of the removed nest to help it stay in place.

Judy, Molly & Gracie get Science Diet dog food daily, mixed with the homemade. If I quit Science Diet, they will need a daily vitamin supplement. I'm researching that now. Definitely not something I would eat, lol. 

I went to Home Depot yesterday & bought more potting mix for my planters. Was hoping to get out there this morning, but rain is moving in.

Last edited by DownSouth (5/17/2024 9:11 am)

D e v o n n e

5/17/2024 9:06 am  #40

Good Morning, I was up really early today, after being up late last night.  Will likely take a nap later on!!  I'm waiting for Rhonda to come and take the contraption off Frank and take it to Dr., thought she'd be here by now.

It is very drab outside and winds up high.  I have absolutely no plans for the day.  Am quite tired and nothing to do, so believe I'll sign off, wishing you all well.  Have a wonderful day, BJ.

Board footera