OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

5/10/2024 1:06 pm  #41

Re: ODT SUNDAY MAY 5 ~ SAT MAY 11

Caught up  reading, for a couple of days.  Yesterday was a day out  for us.  Howard had his neurologist appt., all was good so he was turned loose for a year.   The waiting plus  the office visit took 2 1/2 hours.  Ugh!   So, we decided to eat a  late lunch at our favorite sit-down restaurant.
We waited 40 minutes for our food, after we ordered.  That plus the eating time took well over an hour.  By then, we were too crabby to stop for the few things we could have used at the grocery, so we came on home.  He took the hint and went upstairs and I caught up on several TV recordings and finally sweetened up!  
Don't take this wrong because it's going to sound like I'm continuing to complain: Our server was bent over in half--all the time. It was so painful to watch her and yet, what else could we do?     My cousin, Lynne, is like that and she has spondialysis  (sp).   Of course, this poor woman was quite handicapped for doing her job but probably really needs to work.  We were careful and kind but it was most unnerving.   Your inclination is to jump up and offer to help her.   So sad...
Howard had gotten grilled haddock  and I just finished the piece he brought home for my lunch.  (With his permission, of course. )   If he eats breakfast, he skips lunch.  I never skip any meals and it shows!

Cheryl, I, too am so sorry about your nephew's Dx.  Glad it's treatable and I believe quite responsive, but with their history, it has to be more than doubly hard.  ML and Bill are leaving tomorrow for a week's vacation in ...Ohio.  One place they are going is Hocking Hills  St. Park and they're also going across the river into W. Virginia  for part of it.   Coming back, they're going to finish with a  tour the Rookwood Studios somewhere near Cincinnati, I believe.  Last year was England and Scotland, this year, Ohio.  That's not a dig.  The other was almost too much for them and they're greatly looking forward to this smaller, shorter and closer to home get-away.  

Devonne, a lot of changes for you in these five years.  I do remember the date, May 9, when you mention Billy's passing.  It's one of my cousin's birthday that day.  Mom will be gone 5 year in October but it seems like she's been gone forever.  The passing of time can have  many different  "passing of time" feelings.   How generous and loving of you to buy all those groceries for Gary and Emily.  You're one of a kind.  

Wed., ML asked me to ride along with her to the weekly farmer's market she goes to.  She thought we could visit and catch up and she could give me my Mother's Day gift.  I just sat in the car, read and gawked at all the people and the MANY dogs, which all seemed to need to go potty.    She later told me, it might be more of a dog show than a farmer's market.  Something must be wrong with me--I always wanted to get away from my kids for a bit and surely would not take my dog somewhere like that to have to fiddle with...and I loved my kids and my various dogs.  Is this another younger generation thing?  I mean, the dogs?  She gave me a huge hanging plant w/muti-colored flowers,  I don't know what they are but are beautiful.  I carried it inside last night as it was going to be quite cold.

Mary Lou, how nice, your impromptu visit to David's (Maybe it was planned?)  Anyway,  how fun with the little girls and to give them your tea set.  Your brothers probably didn't care that much for tea parties, but they have each other to play with.  Glad you avoided most of the bad weather and got your power back, quickly.

Well, I'm off.  Will be thinking of all of you while I putter around.  Need to figure out supper.  Leftovers are gone.
Hugs,
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (5/10/2024 1:20 pm)

5/10/2024 1:32 pm  #42

Judy, the farmers market I go to also has quite a few dogs in attendance. I agree with you about it. You are right in thinking that my brothers didn’t like tea parties. But I had several girl cousins and neighbors that would “dine” with me and my dolls.

Last edited by tricia-anne (5/11/2024 4:07 am)

5/10/2024 2:23 pm  #43

Marylou, I'm glad you are feeling more comfortable with the 5 hour drive. 

Today I decided to use the nebulizer, still have chest congestion. I had to order the medicine and it came yesterday. Think it will help a lot. 

Gary and I went to one of our favorite bbq places for lunch. I got a bbq salad and it was just ok. That's another place we like that has better bbq salads. The place we went today makes the best iced tea. We stopped at Home Depot and I got 4 bags of potting soil & tomato plants. The prices are crazy high.

Judy, thank you. I know it's been difficult for them with only one income coming in. Today I gave him sprites, ketchup and whipped cream (the spray kind.)  Sadie Grace loves it. Billy died on Holly's birthday (Greg's ex-wife).

D e v o n n e

5/10/2024 4:51 pm  #44

Judy, such a long wait at the restaurant.  I suppose it is because they have not enough help.  Seems to be the problem at most places these days.  My cashier at the local grocery store must have been in her 70's or 80's (I am guessing more like 80) the other day.  I tried to help her as much as possible.  It is crazy that so many senior citizens or handicapped people have to work.  Where are the young ones?  

Sandra, good for you for winning at bingo.  I used to go with my mom sometimes and we never won a thing, but has lots of laughs and fun.

I made scalloped potatoes for supper.  They were really delicious but heavy on the stomach.  Too much potato and cream sauce.   I was going to do a salad or peas with it but we settled for broiled chicken breasts and left out the veggies.  We had not had them for a long while and I had some potatoes that had to be used.

I am making another quilt with the remainder of the "Cars" fabric.  It has such a pretty blue background and the cars are so colorful.  I am using the remainder as a panel and will add colorful squares along the sides.  

I still have not gone out and pulled the weeds that have popped up due to all the rain, but will try to get it tomorrow or next week.  I still need to get my planting pots out of the shed and clean them.  I need a garden gnome to help me.

Last edited by Chlynn1129 (5/10/2024 4:53 pm)

5/10/2024 8:31 pm  #45

Cheryl, I also see elderly working. The phlebotomist at my doc’s office is in her 70’s, retired from a hospital, and can’t afford to not work. Is it that they are widowed, so only have their SS to live on? Or they never did 401’s, or didn’t work at a pension job, or didn’t work outside the home? I have to give my mom credit- I got my RN and BSN at 36, and mom advised me to get my school nurse certificate, so I’d be on a teacher schedule, pay, and pension. In jersey, I get my pension and SS, because I paid into both all those years. I knew it would be up to me, because Ralph’s hospital pension was non contributory, so they could do what they wanted with it, and it’s not much. And I couldn’t pry him out of the hospital and into a better job. So does it boil down to not preparing for the future? 

5/11/2024 4:06 am  #46

Rain Rain go away, come again another day!!  LOL   It's been raining a lot last few days - I had enough fine weather to do a quick drive to see my sis, BUT when I rang to confirm she was still at work the people for the next shifts hadn't turned up. So mad with them, no call  and she was stranded looking after her group, she had stayed the night, so had a 24 hour shift. I haven't spoken to her today, so hopefully she eventually got home..

SANDRA yes, i have heard of the Agatha Raisin, I saw one, but it didn't appeal to me at the time, so I always planned on trying again, I know there are books as well, WOW!! great win at Bingo, that is quite a big pot for your little group, and GREAT WORK on the clearing out, I need to do more too. Just too much STUFF

DEVONNE that is so kind of you, and I didn't expect anything less, you are  a loving mum, we help out if and when we can if they need it, even though they are all grown up, circumstances change for them sometimes unavoidably (((hugs)))

JANET are you away still, hope the trip is going well, if you are in the country look for the stars at night, seems to be lots of reports of  pretty  lights everywhere, we can't see them, too much rain, but maybe you will be lucky!

STRINGS so happy for you that the eyes are a little better, noting worse than eye problems, you are a real trouper!! 

INDY that was quite a long wait, I didn't have long to wait for my Dr on Wednesday, my appt was for 12 and I was in his office at 12.15 LOL then I had to wait  longer as he wanted his nurse to give me  the next covid booster. I was thinking of Andrew on Friday, I took Dean to school he had to make burgers and present them beautifully, he had so much to take he had another back pack! He had a fine mist sprayer as well, to mist the truss tomatoes for the presentation on the side of the plate for decoration. He could be quite a good cook, like Andrew, but he doesn't want to, did Andrew start young. Dean is 15, he didn't even eat his food, gave it to a friend. said he doesn't really like burgers LOL 

CHERYL maybe the older ones just want to work, we are seeing more here, but its because they want to do something, some need the money of course. We used to see an older lady when we went to dinner to a local club, she struggled a bit, but you never know peoples circumstances. Sometimes things go bad for them. They loose jobs, can't get work elsewhere etc, as they are too old! 

HOLLY having a profession is a good thing, my daughter has her degrees, and so does Pete, she will never be unemployed, she is lucky to enjoy what she does as well. she could never be a stay at home mum, she hated it when she had the boys and had time off!
We have superannuation, and it's compulsory, so we have a pension. We could also add to it if we wanted. 

MARYLOU I missed your post, just changed the font, it's the same here, dogs seem to go everywhere, if I step in anything they will know about it, seems like it's fashionable to take your dog to these places, waking them is one thing, but these places sell food!! 

I have been getting blocks ready for quilt camp. Got my QAYG all done ready assembled, the blocks are assembled with the batting and backing and pinned - my fingers are sore from the pins LOL  Now I just have to get my Mondo bag things ready and I'm done EXCEPT for my machine, I rang the store and was told he's waiting on the globe needed, told them I wanted the machine even without the light replaced as I need it for quilt camp.
Hopefully it will be back with me this week, otherwise I will be on the warpath. The small machine is too small for all the things I want to do all weekend.

We had training this morning, using no weights, it's incredible how much of a workout you can do with no equipment. We were all so sweaty when we finished, it was hard work!

We also had a charity drive for a local women's shelter, there were so many lovely things -when they were  collected she told us they will have a room set up and give the children small baskets to go "shopping " for mum for Mothers Day. They only have room for 6 families at a time for 30 days, then they have another setup where they can give things to them for a lot longer as they find accomodation, work and help for them. She said the biggest gift we gave was letting these women know that other women (and men ) cared enough to give things to them, she said that makes such an impact on them, they feel so alone.

Almost time for bed, I need to put some cream on my hands, my fingers are sore from the quilting pins LOL 

Last edited by tricia-anne (5/11/2024 4:10 am)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

5/11/2024 7:48 am  #47

Trish, no, Andrew didn't start cooking early.  He did run the concession stand at his school (with his parents' and other's assistance.) But that was just heating up hot dogs, making popcorn and other concession food.
His study time in Italy was what really got him started wanting to cook.  And he just seems to have a flair for it.  
As you know, they can change rapidly in their interests and abilities.  I do believe the "flair" is a gift.  I surely don't have it!  

Last edited by indyanny (5/11/2024 7:51 am)

5/11/2024 8:05 am  #48

I'M TIRED.  I GOT ONLY 3 HOURS SLEEP LAST NIGHT.  I FINISHED AN AGATHA CHRISTIE MYSTERY AND STARTED A JANET EVANOVICH ONE.  I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN SO STAYED UP TIL 4 A.M TO FINISH IT.  HAD TO FORCE MYSELF TO TRY TO SLEEP.  GOT 3 HOURS ONLY AND THEN WIDE AWAKE AGAIN.
MY SON IS DROPPING BY TODAY FOR HIS MOTHER'S DAY VISIT.  IT WILL BE NICE TO SEE HIM AND I'LL BET HE COMES WITH FOOD.  CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT I WILL BE ENJOYING FOR LUNCH.

ITS A PRETTY NICE DAY HERE.  SUN IS SHINING HERE AND THERE BETWEEN FLUFFY CLOUDS SO I GUESS NO RAIN FOR THE DAY.  IT MATTERS LITTLE TO ME THESE DAYS.

NOTHING ELSE EXCITING HERE LADIES.  HAVE A NICE DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

5/11/2024 9:14 am  #49

Good Morning, just a quick note as Tracy and Jamie are here and up, so I should go visit with them.  Have a wonderful day, everyone.  It is so beautiful here, with sun shining, no breeze, just a gorgeous day, BJ.

5/11/2024 10:08 am  #50

Yes Trish we’re back.  And it was a nice trip.  Train ride was fun.  We went to Patchwork Plus quilt shop, billed as the largest quilt shop in VA.  It was overwhelming.  I spent over $400, lol.

5/11/2024 11:32 am  #51

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday!

It is sad to see so many elderly people working and they can't enjoy being retired. I've spoken with several of them at Walmart and their SS isn't enough to pay rent/mortgage, utility bills, food, insurance, car payment, etc. I thank God every day for my blessings. 

Janet, congratulations on spending $400 at the quilt shop! That was a satisfying day!

D e v o n n e

Board footera