OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

5/02/2024 11:57 am  #41

Re: ODT SUNDAY APRIL 28 ~ SAT MAY 4

It’s been an expensive morning for me and I haven’t even left the house. My yard guy texted to say he would be here today and would pick up a check. It was the first time this spring to pay him so I owed for 8 mows. Then the tech from Door Doctor came to repair the garage door opener. He replaced a part and did some general maintenance. It has been opening back up about half the time when I close it, and of course didn’t do it today! Hopefully, what he did will fix it.

My daughter has a fun weekend planned. A friend from where she used to live invited her to go with her to Mackinaw Island and stay at the Grand Hotel. Lynn said if they don’t do anything other than sit on “ the longest porch in the world” and read, it will be a great getaway.

Last edited by tricia-anne (5/02/2024 7:44 pm)

5/02/2024 1:01 pm  #42

Sitting here waiting for the water hauler to deliver the water for the pool. He said today or tomorrow when I spoke to him Monday. We’ve used him before, maybe 4 times. This guy could easily have been in The movie “Deliverance”. Lol

Last edited by Missmommy (5/04/2024 10:59 am)

5/02/2024 7:15 pm  #43

I finally went to the doctor. I have mild bronchitis and fluid in both ears...always get that, so annoying because it affects my hearing. Amoxicillin prescription.

Theresa, prayers for a safe trip.

Sandra, I'm glad the inspection is over. What is the issue with the mop and bucket in the tub? That's where Emily always keeps hers. 

Marylou, I have to pay my lawn guy every time he comes. I don't mind because I use Zelle to pay him. He's coming tomorrow.

Greg takes Carter to school every morning. This morning when he dropped him off, he asked Dad "does my collar look good?" That was a first, lol. 

Last edited by DownSouth (5/02/2024 7:18 pm)

D e v o n n e

5/02/2024 8:11 pm  #44

SANDRA sounds like they HAD to find something to report LOL where else could you leave it out of the way!
I hope you rest and relax with a good book. 
Just reading MARYLOU'S post reminded me of The Girl Of The Limberlost, Gene Stratton-Porter. it was my favourite book growing up ( all Jane Austen comes a close second) loved that book, I will search it out again, pretty sure I can get it on Kindle then I can read it again (for the thousandth time LOL )

DEVONNE Hope the antibiotics do their job, you poor thing, that was me for so long, I really sympathise. Carter must be trying to impress someone, teacher or friend ?? 

MARYLOU your day sounds a bit like ours, we seem to have our hand in wallets every second last few days! 
We are so lucky to be able to pay this funds though aren't we! Sounds lie a lovely time for Lyn!

JANET thanks for replying to HOLLY yep, for the bones LOL it is working though, so can't complain. 
Hope the water guy turns up soon, hate waiting on people. lately we have had them text a 2 hour window, I do like that, you can work around it. 

HOLLY how else can you describe a nurse who's a man LOL , they were so often women in the 'old days' my MIL was 98 when she died and really old school - women didn't work outside the home etc. And she died 15 years ago. We have made great inroads for women, I remember having to have W's signature on my passport application when Pete was a baby, so not so long ago. 

INDY YEP!!! The nail WAS the last straw LOL, until yesterday when my arm was so sore all night, the flu jab must have hit a bit of muscle, it was so sore had to take Panadol, went to training anyway, and it was sore to begin, but moving it with weights (gently ) helped, so it's good now!

BJ hope you had fun with Rhonda, it's good to get out, even just to the store and seeing other people for a change. You know what they say - a change is as good as a holiday!

On his sis's saga, it doesn't end. W's brother is taking her to his home today for 2 nights, yesterday the Mr was most of the day with her, took her to the dentist, this one was NOT the mobile one the hostel used, he was lovely, and only 2 small fillings, and he wants to wait, her diabetes reading are not good - add that to the list LOL 
My BIL is rather silly I personally feel, he takes her there, she sleeps in their bed, as it has a bathroom attached, she is incontinent, has MRSA (legs and hand) - staff use full PPA to do anything for her she's so contagious, W was worried about transporting her to the dentist, if bandages leak, or she has an 'accident' it's not going to be good, David thinks he's a hero, the drive to his house is about 2 -3 hours. She just sits with their cat all day usually. She really doesn't understand that she has issues, and although she loves to go there, she is also very happy to be back in the hostel. 

Our bins have just been emptied, we had them full with all the packing from the dryer. Did I tell you they put the old one on the kerb around 5.30pm -  getting dark here then - and it was gone by morning. Someone drives around with a truck and looks out for people putting things out, Council allow us 12 big cleanups a year, a small trailer load, as well as our weekly bins. 

I want to get some sewing done today, I am so far behind on myTemp quilt!

Last edited by tricia-anne (5/02/2024 8:13 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

5/02/2024 9:15 pm  #45

Trish, do you specify the gender of physicians, as female doctor? If not, why not just say nurse? 

When Ralph was making a cardiologist appt after his retired, they gave him the name of who he’d see, and asked 3 times over the conversation if he minded seeing a woman cardio. He said he got testy the third time he was asked- so inappropriate. 

5/03/2024 3:56 am  #46

I'm so mad with the weather forecasters, they said lots and lots of rain today, so I didn't go to my sis's, I would probably have been OK, we didn't get that rain after all 

HOLLY yes, often our neighbourhood site asks for a female Dr, I guess for various reason that's who they want, I can understand, some are because of violence, others religious or cultural reasons. 
I think though that we were speaking of older ladies not wanting a male nurse, so that was the description, otherwise not wanting a nurse wouldn't be an explanation. Same with dentists, mostly people know if it's male or female by their name, you book a certain Dr e.g. mine is Leo, his partner is Vera. Some of the names from India, Sri Lanka etc you might not guess though and sometimes people ask. Personally I don't care, but I do know many who do care and would much rather see a lady Dr.

We had dinner at the club, they had a pulled lamb linguine, it was OK, mine needed salt, really unusual for me, I don't add, pasta seemed like it had been heated in boiling water. no flavour. 

I have to be up early, will set the alarm for 6am and drag myself out, at least I will get breakfast out LOL 

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

5/03/2024 8:47 am  #47

Trish, interesting perspective, things I never encountered. I’ve seen racial prejudice in patients, which was accomidated because we didn’t want to give the patient the opportunity to make things hard for the nurse. 

It’s only 60 today, after a week of 80’s! I closed all the windows. 

5/03/2024 8:57 am  #48

Funny Holly, it's up to 60 today so we opened our windows!!!! 😄

Sew Happy (Patty)
Northern Minnesota

5/03/2024 9:32 am  #49

Good Morning!  It is a beautiful day outside, sun is bright and there is a breeze, lovely day.  Tracy will be here tonight, love that.  Rhonda is gone on a brief vacation.  She and Bob are going somewhere for the weekend.  Nice they can get away.  Bob had planned on staying home with the cat, but the cat passed away yesterday, so he will be going with Rhonda.

I, of course, have no plans for the day.  Just messing around with the computer for awhile, then will watch TV the rest of the day, can't do anything else.  Will be lovely to have Tracy here, we will go someplace tomorrow, likely get an ice cream, love it!!

Well, don't have anything else to say, so will sign off, wishing you all a wonderful day, BJ.

5/03/2024 11:14 am  #50

ITS A GORGEOUS DAY AND HIGH 50S.  WILL HIT HIGH 60S LATER.  I AM STILL DOING SOME CLEARING OUT.  TOSSED A LOT OF OLD PLASTIC CONTAINERS AND WILL BE SORTING THRU MY WALLHANINGINGS TODAY TO GIVE TO MY DAU FOR THE RESCUE SHELTER OR HERSELF. 
STILL UNEASY ON THE CLOTHES.  I HATE TO TOSS THEM.  GOOD STUFF.  NEIGHBOR TOLD ME TO BOX THEM AND PUT THEM ON THE FREE TABLE FOR SOMEONE TO TAKE TO THE FAMILY FOOD PLACE THAT HAS A CLOTHING ROOM BEHIND IT.  SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD PLAN. 
AS FOR THE BUCKET AND MOP, I PUT IT BEHIND THE TOILET.  ITS BEEN IN MY TUB FOR YEARS BETWEEN USES BUT THEY ARE GETTING TO BE SUCH STICKLERS.  THEY ALSO MENTIONED THE CHAIR IN FRONT OF MY SEWING MACHINE MUST BE MOVED.  IT BLOCKS EGRESS THRU MY WINDOW.  WHAT?  ITS ON SWIVEL WHEELS AND ITS BEEN THERE FOR 8 YEARS.  WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?  SO I WILL MOVE IT ANYTIME I EXPECT A VISIT FROM MANAGEMENT.  THE NEW GUY IS A JERK.  COMPLAINTS FROM OTHERS ON MY FLOOR AS WELL. HE LOOKED FOR THE ANYTHING HE COULD FIND TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.

I'M PLANNING ON COOKING THAT CHICKEN RICE SOUP TODAY.  NOT MUCH NEEDED TO DO.  I CAN SORT MY WALLHANGINGS ANYTIME SINCE DAU WON'T BE HERE FOR SOME WEEKS YET.  I PLAN TO GET IN SOME READING AND GETTING SET TO WATCH THE KENTUCKY DERBY TOMORROW.  I NEVER MISS IT.  

DEVONNE......GLAD TO HEAR YOU SAW THE DOC AND GOT SOME MEDS TO HELP.  NOW TO RECOVER.

JUDY........MY LAST 6-INCH LOBSTER ROLL A FEW WEEKS AGO COST $31.  THE PRICE CHANGES EVERY DAY.

HOLLY......YIKES, I AM SORRY ABOUT THE A-FIB.  GLAD THAT THE MEDS TAKE CARE OF IT FOR YOU.

HAVE A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (5/03/2024 11:37 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

5/03/2024 6:11 pm  #51

Prescribed prednisone and amoxicillin so should start feeling better soon. 

Gary went to Panama City, FL with the kids, Hannah and Ben. He sent me some good videos of the Blue Angels practicing over the ocean. Their show is this weekend. It's amazing how close they are.

I am watching the treadmill/murder trial on YT of a 6 year old little boy, mom and dad both having custody. After watching the abuse to his son on the treadmill, people are livid. I am too! So glad this gym had a surveillance camera system.

Last edited by DownSouth (5/03/2024 6:16 pm)

D e v o n n e

5/03/2024 7:17 pm  #52

Sandra, so sorry you had such a hard  nosed inspector.  Some people sure like to be in "charge" don't they?

On the subject of female/male doctors, I specifically looked for a female cardiologist when I had the referral from my primary.  I think women doctors listen to women better when it comes to health; just my opinion.  I also have a woman gynecologist.  However, my long time primary is a man and I really like him.

My amoxicillin for my infected tooth has wrecked my stomach.  Today was the last day thankfully.  It will be a month before I can see the endodontist to do my root canal.  Good thing I do not have any pain!!!

It is time to buy and plant my outdoor flowers and I an just too lazy this year.  Usually I am so ready to plant but not this time.  Plus, the cost of the flowers have gone so high.  I am not looking forward to the cost.  We also need to put down fresh mulch and I like the expensive black stuff.  We do save money by Dean getting the mulch and we both put it down.

I have a little bird trying to build a nest on my front door wreath.  I have shooed her away a couple of times but I say her swooping down around it again today.  I like birds and I feed them but I do not want a nest on my front porch.

I met with my cardiologist today to go over the results of my stress test and echocardiogram.  All is well; just old getting older  mostly.  Watch diet, exercise, take my high blood pressure medication.  lol.  I don't see her again till next year.

5/03/2024 9:06 pm  #53

Cheryl, I agree that females listen better. My NP is a woman. My cardiologist is a man, he’s the only electrophysiologist in the group. 

Did you all hear about the governor who has tanked her career by writing in her book how she shot her 14 month old puppy because it was not a good hunting dog? It’s all over the news and facebook. I just wanted to cry when I heard it. 

5/04/2024 8:52 am  #54

Good Morning, just a quick note to say Hi!  Tracy just got up so I'd better quit and go visit with her.  We are going to check out the rental this morning as the tenant moved out.  Hope it's in good shape so the new tenant can move in without a lot of work from us.

Have a wonderful day everyone.  It is 47* here now at 7:51 so it will likely be a nice day.  Talk to you all later, BJ.

5/04/2024 9:00 am  #55

OMG, HOLLY, I HATE PEOPLE LIKE HER.  WHAT A LOSER.

THERESA......I HOPE YOUR TRIP IS GOING WELL.  IT LOOKS LIKE A GRAY DAY HERE FOR ME.  MAYBE THE RAIN IS COMING SOONER.

YES, LADIES, SHE IS HAVING A GOOD TRIP.  THEY ARE HERE IN MAINE AND MOVING LUKE INTO HIS QUARTERS.  THEY CLOSED PART OF THE MAIN HIGHWAY I-95 SO SHE SAID THE TRAFFIC WAS TERRIBLE GETTING HERE.  FYI MANY MAINE ROADS ARE ONLY 2 LANES WIDE WITH BREAKDOWN LANES ON THE RIGHT SIDES.  AN 8-HR TRIP TOOK 14 HOURS.  SHE IS RESTING UP OVERNIGHT IN ELLSWORTH AND THEN HEADING HOME  ON MONDAY.   

MY SON IS SHOPPING FOR ME TODAY AND TAKING HOME CHICKEN RICE SOUP ALONG WITH HIS ITALIAN SANDWICHES LATER.  ITS ALWAYS SO NICE TO SEE HIM.  ITS ALSO CHECK DAY.  HE CASHES MY CHECK FOR ME SO I HAVE CASH HERE AT HOME FOR THE MONTH AND GETS ME ROLLS OF QUARTERS FOR THE LAUNDRY AND BINGO WHEN NEEDED.  

I AM STILL PONDERING HOW TO GET RID OF STUFF.  I THINK I WILL HAVE TO CHECK THRU MY BOOKS AND WEED OUT ALL BUT THOSE I LIKE TO REREAD LIKE JAN KARON'S AND DOROTHY GILMAN'S MRS POLLIFAX SERIES.  RIGHT NOW I AM READING RITA MAE BROWN'S FURMIDABLE FOES WITH HER CORGI AND CATS HELPING TO SOLVE MURDERS.  I LOVE THAT SERIES AS WELL.

NOTHING MUCH WILL HAPPEN TODAY.  I AM STILL TIRED FROM ALL THE CLEANING AND RE-ORGANIZING I'VE BEEN DOING.  WITH MORE THOUGHTS ON HOW TO IMPROVE AROUND HERE.
I WISH YOU ALL A GREAT DAY.  DON'T FORGET THE KENTUCKY DERBY ON NBC AROUND 3 TODAY. THE RUN FOR THE ROSES.
HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (5/04/2024 9:12 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

5/04/2024 10:45 am  #56

Happy Star Wars Day to all!
Sandra, Ralph said he saw about the 95 delay, a tanker truck caught fire under an overpass and melted the concrete, like what happened in Philly, but he can’t remember what state it happened in. 
Drizzley and chilly here! Patty, so funny that 60 is balmy for you and chilly for me! 

5/04/2024 3:56 pm  #57

I took my first two Prednisones at 2:30 yesterday. The pharmacist told me they can keep you awake. I was awake when the sun came up and still awake at 9:30. I have felt worse today, and I'm sure it's lack of sleep. Next time I will go immediately. With my history of URI's, I know what this does to me. Dummy me!

Cheryl, I went to Home Depot yesterday and I didn't see any phlox, zinnias and only a few marigolds. Everything was so expensive. I wanted to get a few tomato plants, but I need to get potting soil in my pots first. They had a lot of beautiful hanging baskets for $29.99, but I don't want to pay that much for an annual plant. I did buy a yellow rose bush at Walmart and 4 light pink geraniums. Just those two things was $42. I did a pickup order at Walmart today and got 5 bags of brown mulch. It's for the area close to the house where the hybrid tea roses are. I like the black mulch as well.

Too bad about the terrible traffic for Theresa and Luke. Glad they made it with no problems. 

Dee, my groomer, her Mom died two years ago. She was a dedicated quilt maker and this is the 2nd yard sale her Dad has had to try and get rid of all her fabric. Most of it is not what I would want. They had everything priced way too high at the first sale, the 2nd sale was today. Of course, I never felt like going. She was also an avid machine embroiderer and they wanted too much for an older machine. They still have the machine. I think it's her Dad that won't reduce anything, lol. 

I have organic kale in the instant pot and my house smells like...well....farts, lol! Billy loved any kind of greens and always put vinegar on his. I like it both ways.

D e v o n n e

5/04/2024 5:04 pm  #58

I saw something on the COF facebook page that the Houston area has flooding again, I’m hoping Carol is ok. 

It’s still raining off and on, I think it’s supposed to for another few days. 

5/04/2024 8:03 pm  #59

Holly, I did see on the news today that Houston was flooded once again.  My SIL lives east of Houston and said they do not get that flooding.  Houston has built on most of the flood plains in the area and too much concrete so the rain has nowhere to go.

Gasoline prices are all over the place here.  Last week it was $3.59 a gallon and today it was $3.13.  I filled up. 

I am still making quilts to donate and made a "boys" quilt today and used some old fabric I had that is from the movie Cars.  I hope somebody will still like it.  It is a very pretty blue and cute even if they do not know the movie.  I am trying to use only fabric that I have on hand.

Devonne, I saw hanging baskets at the nursery priced at $15.99 and they are the EXACT kind that were priced at $9.99 last year.  I usually just get the easy to grow petunias, geraniums etc.  Like yours, some of the bigger baskets were $29.99 and $39.99!!  

5/04/2024 8:44 pm  #60

I had to give up my blood this morning, after 6 vials I hoped that was enough, he must have asked for lots of tests this time, I thought I read that I had a urine spec as well, as the place didn't open till 9am being Sunday I had a container, so I did that here. must have read wrong, I didn't need it LOL.

Another gloomy day here, supposed to have rained lots yesterday - again - and they got it wrong again!! I hope it will be fine tonight, it's Megan's birthday and we hare having dinner there. I got all her gifts onsale, so she gets extra cash to make it the same as Gary. I also got me some winter PJs the lovely soft velvety feel ones.
I am sewing binding on, while watching mysteries on Britbox, 

SANDRA it's one you might like, The Inspector Lynley Mysteries. like all the Midsomer ones the violence is more implied, with a couple murders each one, with some good cast members you recognise from movies etc. . The first one in the series is 2 episodes. Hope you enjoyed your chicken soup. It's a soup kind of day here too. Maybe for clearing out you could leave some things on the table in the building. Others you could have your son or dau drop to good will  stores? It's a dilemma when you want to clear out. Here there is a couple who collect clothing etc from you and then they give it, sell it, whatever needs to be done, I was able to give ours to the group that cooks for those who need it.

THERESA What a trip, sounds like it was stressful, I don't envy you, hope you have a lovely time now. 

DEVONNE pretty the new ones AND the old, my roses have a few flowers left, but the camellias are flowering beautifully. We have had so  much rain! It's been really good of the garden though. Hope you feel much better soon, Prednisone doesn't make me wakeful, it DOES make me hungry, I could eat all day on it LOL

CHERYL that sounds perfect for a boy, they still remember Cars, even my 15 yr old DGS, it was his favourite. I have so much fabric for kids, I think I will find somewhere to donate it. Ours ( petrol) is really expensive here too, it's $2.00 to $2.10 for 1 litre.  It used to cost $40 to fill my little car, now it's over $60 OUCH!! 

CAROL hope you are OK, too much flooding in your area, I know that feeling, we have had more than our share here too! It just never stops does it (((hugs))))

HOLLY that sounds dreadful - so hot it melted concrete, I had no idea such a thing could happen, must have been fierce. Too funny about the Drs, I find my guy listens better than most women (including the lady in his practice  LOL) , I have a lady Haematologist, and men for Nephrology and Cardio and Gyno - I go by what my Dr recommends, and also how I feel with them, BUT Leo has asked me in the past if I prefer a woman. 
My new one for cataracts is also a guy, but the optometrist is a lady. So I have a mix. Which reminds me, better get online and make an appt for my eyes, I want them checked, it's getting harder to drive at night.

I have the A/C on, and used the dryer first time yesterday, the old must have been struggling a bit, took less time, and better feel with the new one, so I am glad I got it, especially with the rain we are supposed to be getting.

Tonight is Takeaway, no idea what I assume Chinese. The pub would have been good as well. Tomorrow is house cleaning, and the Mr will find out about his hip x-ray. Hoping that Pete will work from home! We will probably have plenty of leftovers.   

My training class  yesterday was really full, the later one usually only has about 14 max. Same as the really early one. This one had 30. It was pretty full on, we had a team meeting after for our group called Motivators, she is disbanding us and asking new ones to help out for 6 months - We have been doing it for 12 months. It's been fun, we greet newcomers, and offer to train with them, make them feel at home. Not hard, but she is hoping that a few more might like to take on the job, give us a break.  One of the girls said she thought yesterday  session was really hard work, I didn't think it was worse than usual LOL depends on your ability I guess, it's always hard for me LOL

Time for a cuppa, we are going to theirs around 4pm, so I'll lock when i get homeI

Last edited by tricia-anne (5/04/2024 8:46 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

Board footera