OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/18/2024 3:50 pm  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY MARCH 17 ~ SAT MARCH 23

And a hybridized modern tea, because, well, we all need some of this kind of beauty in our lives.  The original bush is Belinda's Dream.  Mine is not blooming yet, but her offspring is.  Here is Belinda's Blush.  I just planted her in October, and she's already producing.

How can anyone pass up something this beautiful?

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

3/18/2024 8:13 pm  #22

Posting this first, I’ll log in on the computer 

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

3/18/2024 8:35 pm  #23

I posted Jane Austen above, she needs to be sewn together now, and the borders put on, a bit of trimming first in the centre, the 4 sides don't get trimmed till AFTER the borders are on. I am still a little worried about trimming the centre piece LOL

CAROL that is so interesting about the roses, I looked up the pretty multi one, we can get it here, it says on one page the stock is gone for this  year, but then it says I can order,  I am going to get one, I love it. 
No idea where I can make space but I'll find some ! I'm sorry about Bailey, we love them, and they have such a short life (((hugs)))

THERESA that is sad you can't have things in her room, where could they be going, are they taking them to wash etc and not returning? I know we had to label everything for W's mum, it  was sometimes moved by her, other times by staff. It went to the HUGE unclaimed pile.

DEVONNE hope Molly is OK, look into Polaramine, not sure if you will have it, it's antihistamine (can cause drowsy ) we had similar issues with our Buddy, the vet recommended it, it was a 2mg dose, you could look up the main ingredient and see if you can get it, a lot cheaper than the injections, which we would have had to do, the vet did give him antihistamine injection every year before his parvo virus etc injections. Otherwise he said it was just the same to have the "people" version and quite safe.

BJ how nice to have a pretty top to wear, I hope the Drs visit went well, it is a long drive, but I'm sure you will stop for ice cream if needed 

SANDRA I haven't read any of the Caroline Graham books, I'll put her on my ever-growing list. I seem to have a longer list every day. 

HOLLY It doesn't matter how you cook the chilli as long as it tastes good, I always put chopped apple in with my curry. Green apple for preference, it's not sweet, but adds something different. 

INDY I was going to ask Sandra the same, I don't make sauce myself, I do use tomato puree, and add bits to it. The brand I can get is Italian, and it's only ingredient is tomatoes, suits me just fine LOL

I have no idea about your insurance, so no help, BUT I just got an email, ours is going up by $46 per month, good grief. Everything is going up faster than ever.

I had a quick trip to the hairdresser for a cut, (tiny trim ) it's only been 3 weeks since it was done, but we were supposed to be away next Tuesday, NOW he's decided he doesn't really want to go. He may change his mind again, who knows, very undecided of late.

I want to finish this quilt top if I can, so see you later!!

Last edited by tricia-anne (3/18/2024 8:38 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

3/19/2024 9:30 am  #24

Trish, your quilt is gorgeous!! I love the fabrics. So much hard work!

I will read about the medicine you mentioned. Molly's Cytopoint injection was $72. There's a $5 biohazard/OSHA fee to dispose of the needle and a $60 office visit/exam fee. Her Otomax ear drops were $50. A $30 charge to check her ears and $34 for the heartworm test. I didn't get the Galapentin there. I got a prescription and will get it thru Chewy.com. I can see why people don't go to the vet. They can't afford it. 

Carol, I watch a guy on You Tube that lives in south Texas. He said it's already been in the 90's there. Yesterday it was 72. So sorry about Bailey. We do love our fur babies!

Theresa, it's the same way at Shelby's nursing home. She has had things disappear, even with her name on them. Melena talked to the head nurse, who said "we will try to find what's missing." 

Holly, I've never heard of chili on mashed potatoes, but everything else is put on mashed potatoes, so why not, lol? 

The quilts are still on the trees. Only going down to 37 tonight, so I'll go take them off. 

I have a small package coming today that was supposed to come via UPS. When I looked it up, now the Post Office is delivering it, lol. 

I can't let the house go any longer, so I'm off to clean and pick up.

Miss Molly waiting to go inside at the animal hospital. When they came in to get her, she went straight toward the exit door, lol. 

Last edited by DownSouth (3/19/2024 9:40 am)

D e v o n n e

3/19/2024 9:43 am  #25

Trish, that is spectacular, all the diamond-shaped blocks.  I've seen pics of the original.  I believe this is Jane Austen's only quilt.  She must have been an accomplished needleworker before she tackled it.  Will you have to hand sew that center in?  The opening looks unstable and stretchy to me!    Good luck!  

Holly, my knee surgery was delayed for months for the same reason and the doc's staff spent a lot of wasted time on hold trying to deal with Anthem, our insurance at that time.  It's why we changed to Aetna.  
We've been happy with them, but the docs/med. center isn't, so we need to change, most likely.  Howard usually does all this on his own, but this ins. agent was highly recommended to us and we did like him.  Found out, they're mostly all the same but some are a better fit and it is an individual needs choice.  

So sorry about the ailing dogs, Devonne and Carol.  The younger years are rewarding with them, but it's hard to watch them age.  Fancy, being a chorkie, but looking exactly like a chihuahua, has chi. issues--bad hips and knees, bad teeth, fortunately, she doesn't have the protruding tongue.  She takes Carprofen for her aches and pains.  I guess it helps, some...

Theresa, we had none of that at the Pines or Gabriel Home, but just recently it came to my mind that a special antique porcelain dresser "jar" Mom had inherited is no longer around.  I know we never had it after moving her  to Gabriel and that has been over 6 yrs. ago.  My gut feeling is that someone lifted it at the Pines and we just never noticed that.  Funny, I'd  all of a sudden remember it at this late date!  It was called Wave Crest and I remember Googling it to find out about it. 

Howard has his pulmonary function test at 12:30.  I'd better wind this up and get myself ready.  We're making a W-M stop after for Rx's and a few groceries.  have a good rest of the day...
Indy  

Last edited by indyanny (3/19/2024 9:50 am)

3/19/2024 10:08 am  #26

IT'S A SUNNY BRIGHT DAY HERE AND FEELING GOOD.  WINDOW IS OPEN.  LOVE THIS WEATHER.

DO I MAKE MY OWN SAUCE YOU ASK?  YOU MEAN FROM SCRATCH, TAKING 2-3 HOURS.  NO, THOSE DAYS ARE LONG BEHIND ME.  I NOW MAKE SHORT-CUT SAUCE.  FOR ME IT'S JUST A CAN OF CRUSHED TOMATOES AND IF I HAVE ANY LEFTOVER PIZZA SAUCE, I TOSS THAT IN, TOO.  I ADD SOME OREGANO AND A BIT OF SUGAR AND DRIED PARSLEY FLAKES, WITH SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE.  AS LONG AS IT SIMMERS AT LEAST A HALF HOUR  I AM HAPPY WITH IT.  SOMETIMES I BUY A JAR OF RAGU IF I WANT SOMETHING A BIT THICKER.  I DON'T LIKE WASTING TIME AT MY AGE.  AS LONG AS IT TASTES DECENT I'M HAPPY.

TRISH.........YOUR JANE AUSTEN QUILT IS DIVINE.  SO BEAUTIFUL.  YOU SURE DO GOOD WORK.  I LOVE ALL THE FLOWERY TRIANGLES.
MY TOMATO SAUCE SOUNDS A BIT LIKE YOURS.  EASY PEASY.

DEVONNE........WOW, THE HIGH COST OF VET CARE.  I DON'T BLAME YOU GETTING SOMETHING CHEAPER THRU CHEWY IF YOU CAN.

CAROL.....SO SORRY DEAR BAILEY IS COUNTING HER MONTHS.  ITS ALWAYS SAD TO SEE THEM AGE OR BE IN PAIN.  THEY ARE, AFTER ALL, OUR FURBABIES.
WHEN IT COMES TO ROSES, I GAVE UP ON THE HYBRID TEA ROSES AND GREW MOSTLY DAVID AUSTEN ROSES.  THEY WERE NOT ONLY BEAUTIFUL, THEY WERE EASY TO GROW (NOT FUSSY AT ALL) DELIGHTFULY SCENTED AND SO MANY COLORS AVAILABLE, AND THEY MADE A GREAT SHOWING IN VASES.

FAIR BIANCA IN A VASE.  LOOKS LIKE A HYBRID TEA AND SMELLED DIVINE.

I AM LOVING THE CAROLINE GRAHAM BOOK.  ITS DIFFERENT FROM THE RESULTING MOVIE.  THE BACKGROUND AND THE CHARACTERS ARE BASICALLY THE SAME BUT DIFFER QUITE A BIT.   I AM GETTING CLOSE TO THE END AND AT THIS POINT I AM NOT SURE HOW IT WILL END OR EVEN WHO WILL BE CAST AS THE MURDERER.  ITS KEEPING ME ON MY TOES.

HEY EVERYONE, ITS SPRING.  I HOPE YOU GET TO ENJOY IT IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD.

MY NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR TOM BROUGHT HIS LITTLE DOG TO THE GROOMER FOR HIS FIRST TIME.  THE DOG IS ABOUT 6 YEARS OLD.  HIS EARS ARE DELIGHTFUL, SOMETHING LIKE A HUNGARIAN PUMI DOG OR A BIT OF PAPILLON MAYBE.  OSCAR MEYER IS SOOO DARN CUTE EVEN WHEN HE WAS COVERED IN FUR.  NOW HE'S EVEN MORE ADORABLE. 

SEE THOSE EARS? 

ITS THE FIRST DAY OF SPRING MY FRIENDS.  I HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING THE WEATHER.  HERE, ITS SURPRISINGLY MILD.
STAY SAFE.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (3/19/2024 10:36 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

3/19/2024 4:24 pm  #27

So, let's celebrate spring!  Remember yesterday's Belinda's Blush that is derived from Belinda's Dream?  Here is Belinda's Dream. 

Historical rose:  This is Duchesse de Brabant.  I have no idea who she was, but this beauty was named for her.  She was Theodore Roosevelt's favorite rose.  His daughter Alice said he used to stop in the morning and pluck one for his buttonhole.  

Last edited by Needlecrazy (3/19/2024 4:25 pm)

3/19/2024 4:27 pm  #28

How about a red rose?  This is Old Gay Hill Red China.  There really was a town named Gay Hill about 90 miles from Houston.  Not much left these days, but this gorgeous rose remains. 

3/19/2024 4:33 pm  #29

Trish, thanks for the pictures.  I have seen the coverlet.  It's not a quilt because it isn't quilted.  More like a traditional counterpane which is a pieced top and a backing but no batting or quilting.  

I think Mutabilis would be very happy in Australia.  Enjoy!  

Yes, Devonne, vet care is extremely expensive.  I have no idea how much Glen has spent on our dogs.  I really don't want to know.  The insulin is about $45 for a vial that lasts about 6 weeks, and the needles/syringes are about $39 that lasts about a month.  That's in addition to the meds and the horrendously expensive dog food that requires a vet's approval before Chewy will deliver.  It's the same price at the vet, but at least I don't have to drive there to pick it up.  

Sandra, that is one cute dog!  I agree about the Papillon genes with those ears.  You live in the right climate for the David Austin roses; they don't like our heat and humidity.  It's funny that a plant that's been around for thousands of years can adapt to so many different environments.  

First day of spring today saw us wake up to 44 degrees.  We have a new meteorologist who started last Friday on one of the stations.  She said she's lived all over:  North Carolina, Ohio, etc.  She said it was too cold this morning!  Geez, it didn't take her long.  

Ballpark tomorrow.  I'll check in when I get home if I'm not totally exhausted. 

3/19/2024 6:17 pm  #30

I killed my first mosquito last night and it was a big one. It is indeed the beginning of Spring...bees, mosquitos, hummingbirds and hopefully, more butterflies this year.

Trish, I ordered a down alternative comfortable, sheet set and pillow shams. Everything in white. I thought of you liking white, lol! I think white will be nice for the summer. I'm redecorating my master bedroom. 

I ordered some solid beige linen drapes and I've never had linen before. If I don't like them, I can return them. I think they are linen & a polyester blend.

Carol, pink roses are absolutely my very favorite! So beautiful!

D e v o n n e

3/19/2024 9:23 pm  #31

Carol, are these roses all from your yard? So beautiful!

Last night I turned on the fan in our bathroom and smelled hot electric. Turned it off, and Ralph turned it off at the breaker. The electrician will come Thursday, and we got a new unit today. 

When Ed’s parents moved to FL (they lasted 2 years there) Ralph bought a trailer from them. Since he gave his tractor to nephew Mike, he hasn’t used the trailer, so he gave it back to Ed. In jersey, all trailer’s registrations renew in March. So they wanted to change it to their name. Heather came up and she and Ralph went to the DMV. Even tho he was there, they had to leave and get a form notarized, then go back. Ralph says it’s because so many trailers get stolen. So that took all morning. Then we went to the diner for a late breakfast/ early lunch. So it was a kind of busy day.

3/20/2024 3:38 am  #32

CAROL those are so gorgeous, I love my roses, but they are all just simple bush roses, they do smell beautiful though, i did have a Papa Meilland (sp?) some years back, that was such a gorgeous scent. and the flowers such a deep red. I am going to order the Mutabilis, will try tomorrow, being summer here, they don't send the roses out till winter when they can send them without soil. My favourite one here now is Firefighter,  grows up to at least 10ft tall every summer, it's a pain to prune, so vigorous, and the perfume is so strong, I can smell the blooms all  over the yard, love it! It's a deep red too.

DEVONNE I hope you can find something for Molly, so horrid for them to itch and scratch all the time. Did you get the house clean? LOL mine is still waiting, been too busy with Jane.  I do love my white linen!! I don't do the flannelette sheets either, sometimes I break out and buy beige!! 

INDY I put it all together today, no issues it did look stretchy on the pic, I am trying not to handle too much, it's ALL on the bias, and can stretch so easily, its all machine done, and tomorrow the seam ripper comes out, I noticed that a few of the fussy cut flowers are not right, there are 4 cameos and 6 flowers from the same blue fabric, I have them all wrong. The extra flowers I cut out tonight, they give you lots of fabric thank goodness. The whole top is symmetrical - there is a pic of the "coverlet" -- CAROL is right, it's not a quilt, just the top and back -- so it's my fault, I should have looked at the pic, I was going by where they fit in the rows, BAD mistake LOL 

SANDRA I broke out today and ordered 2 of Caroline Graham books, I have the others on loan  almost finished.  Bingo tonight??
Tomorrow is cleaners day at Megan's, so I'm sure John will venture over, AND he will go through the leftovers LOL

THERESA hope you are now starting to take care of you! Your mum is in care, and it's time you took time for yourself, Hope you find a home for the Easter things, maybe the kids might like some to keep?

HOLLY it's always time consuming getting registrations changed, same here, I always get a laugh out of "I need to speak with Mr W" when I am trying to change anything over the phone, I get Pete if available, just write down any relevant info he needs to know as his father. Ridiculous, used to do it for my dad as well, W often impersonated him on the phone.

THANK YOU for the comments on Jane, she has almost 300 diamonds I think,  all cut individually WHEW!! that took a long time, then the sashings, if the borders go on well I will be happy, its going to be time consuming!

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

3/20/2024 9:22 am  #33

Good Morning!  It is totally still outside and 52*!  Wow!  No sun, just gray everywhere.  Well, now there's a tiny breeze.  Love this quiet time of the morning, just still everywhere.

I really don't have anything to say this morning, so will just sign off, wishing you all well, Love, BJ.

3/20/2024 9:38 am  #34

I FINISHED MY BOOK, DEATH IN DISGUISE.  THE GOOD THING IS THEY HAVE AN EPILOGUE SO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE.  THE SCREENWRITERS DID A FANTASTIC JOB WITH THE STORY.  IT DIFFERS FROM THE BOOK BUT IN THE BEST WAYS.
I AM READING A SOFIE KELLY BOOK RIGHT NOW, COPYCAT KILLING.  SHE HAS 2 UNUSUAL CATS WHO SEEM TO UNDERSTAND HER WHEN SHE TALKS.  ONE CAN DISAPPEAR AND THE OTHER CAN GO THRU WALLS.  A HELP WHEN TRYING TO DISCOVER THE BAD GUYS. I HAVE READ ANOTHER OF HERS AND LIKE THEM.
I MADE MY SPARE RIBS AND MEATBALLS LAST NITE.  VERY GOOD.  I THOUGHT I WOULD FORCE MYSELF AND I'M GLAD I DID.  THE REST OF THE TIME I WAS READING.  THOSE WONKY DAYS ARE GOOD FOR TV AND BOOKS AND NOT MUCH ELSE.

SORT OF FUNNY DAY HERE.  A BIT GRAY.  TEMPS SHOULD HIT THE 40S ONLY.  TONITE IS BINGO NITE FOR ME.
MY SON IS ENJOYING HIS WEEK IN FLORIDA, BUT HE ALWAYS DOES. 

NOTHING ELSE TO REPORT LADIES.  I HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL AND HAVING A FINE DAY.  ENJOY.  HUGS, QB S  

Last edited by quiltbea (3/20/2024 9:42 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

3/20/2024 11:04 am  #35

Trish, I did not get my house clean. I have no get up and go, but once I get started, I'll be ok. 

Things to do today:
Call my sister (while watering the front yard, lol)
Clean off vanity
Wash bed sheets and the new white ones
Hang up clothes
Fold clothes in dryer
Unload the dishwasher
Finish putting up groceries
Clean off the island
Throw away Amazon boxes
Clean off nightstand
Move chest to another wall in bdrm

These all seem like little things, but they are tiring, My carpet needs vacuuming and shampooing. That's a big chore and I might get some of it done later today.

I now have TWO smoke detectors beeping. Seeing if Greg can come this evening. If not, Emily said she would come change them. I was in the garage at 5 am turning off the breaker. It did NOT stop the beeping.

ETA: Greg came at 2:00 so I didn't have much time to pick up. He has to pick Carter up at 4:00, so he can't stay long. I put my shopping goodies in the closet and the clothes I need to hang. I've been doing thru my jewelry and had to pick up all that mess. I only had four 9 volt batteries, so we will do the others when he comes again. He said always water my yard early in the morning. Amazing what you can do in an hour, even if it's hiding it, lol. 

Last edited by DownSouth (3/20/2024 12:43 pm)

D e v o n n e

3/20/2024 1:08 pm  #36

Yeah, Devonne, I know about quickly hiding things but am not proud of that!    I just have a hard time keeping things picked up.  Too much stuff!  

I called Marilynn yesterday and left birthday greetings and asked her to call me back.  Then, this morning, I sent a text.  Still no reply from either.  it's been ages since we've talked and I've been meaning to...  That's my motto:  "I was gonna"...

First day of spring is sunny and cold, here.  Trees are flopping around.  I've been inside, only.  Still it's a milestone we usually look forward to desperately, although not as much this year with the mild, warmish winter we've had.
I did put up my SPRING door hanging this morning.  Hope the house doesn't fall down!  There goes Pappy out the front door.  He never tells me where he's going or what he's doing.  Guess that's a good thing, though because I don't need to tell him my every move, either.  Oh, he's back.  He took the dog out.  Nothing new.  I should have known.  Blah, blah, blah 

Need to go and put the meat I bought yesterday in the freezer.  Some of it, anyway.  Hope you all have a good day.  I'm thankful for the 1st day of Spring, Having, hopefully, three or four days to tackle tasks that are calling, in other words, no appts., etc.  and thirdly, for good  friends, locally, and internet-ally, YOU. 
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (3/20/2024 1:13 pm)

3/21/2024 2:34 am  #37

INDY thanks for trying to call Marilynn, mail I sent was returned, so I don't know if she is in St Louis or Kentucky.  I did clean the floors today, it's mazing how much can collect on the table in a week, I cleaned that off too.

DEVONNE Hope the alarms are now OK, ours kept going off, I took it down, it's only one and it wouldn't make a difference if there was a fire. It kept blasting us out of bed in the early hours. I wanted to hit it with a baseball bat!!

SANDRA sounds like a good story, I do like the series, so I have hopes for the books, there are actually quite a few of hers at the library, but in e-books, I have my Kindle but they don't load to it, it has to be iPad or computer, so it's not going to happen.  

Easy dinner of pork chops and baked potato and steamed veg. The Mr has been coughing so much I have been sleeping the spare room, he was up most of the night, he has severe asthma, and wouldn't go to the Dr  -- well he went today, with a flea in his ear, they gave him a new inhaler to try, he said it's really helped - who knew a Dr could help LOL
 Honestly!!! Men!!  he was getting dressed to go for a walk this morning and I told him if he did I would change the locks, to go and wait till the Dr could see him.

I spent the day after training unpicking diamonds and re-sewing them in different spots, I had to cut another 4 as well, so now it's done, tomorrow is sewing day, I was hoping to get the borders on, maybe I still can finish, but it takes a while to pin it all and sew in the right places. No point in rushing it, I can always drop it to Julie later. 

Time for bed, it's been quite cool today, it will be nice to snuggle under a quilt. It got down to about 50 o/night, and not past 70 all day  so pretty cool for us now!

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

3/21/2024 7:26 am  #38

One night Ralph was at a survival club meeting and the CO detector started chirping. To get it to stop, you had to press a button, but it started right up again. I put a pressure dressing on the button, still chirped. When he got home it was sitting on the back step, chirping away. 

The electrician is here, replacing the vent fan that smelled hot. They said it sounds like a motor that’s burning out. LOL, they were supposed to get here at 10, arrived at 9:15! 

3/21/2024 7:32 am  #39

Trish, I would help you if you lived closer, then you wouldn't have the distinguishing honor of saying "I did it all by myself!" 

There are 6 smoke detectors in this house. Gracie & I both appreciated Greg coming so quickly. I could have went to sleep at 4 pm, but I couldn't fall sleep until midnight. 

I sent Marilynn a card in December to her Pikeville, KY address and it didn't come back. I would love to know how she is doing. Thanks for trying to contact her, Judy. 

It's going to be 75 here. I didn't get the front yard watered, but we have rain tomorrow!

Last edited by DownSouth (3/21/2024 7:35 am)

D e v o n n e

3/21/2024 9:45 am  #40

Good Morning, everyone!  It is raining hard here this morning.  Frank has to get moving, he and Rhonda are taking Elly to the vet.  Think it is around 10.  My flowers on the window sill are so beautiful.  Unfortunately, there is a fly buzzing around them.  Hate that!!

Garbage men are due this morning, poor things will be soaked!!  The temp this morning is 48*.  I have no plans for the day.  Rhonda took me to the candy store yesterday, so I have lots of sweets to keep me company.  Will have to be careful, limit myself to 2 pieces a day.  Good idea, if I can just stick to it!!!

Well, I really don't have anything else to say this morning, will just sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

Board footera