OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/07/2024 3:48 pm  #41

Re: ODT SUNDAY MARCH 3 ~ SAT MARCH 9

Holly, congratulations to Heather on getting day shift. I hope Hannah can get that soon. Greg got his deposit back when he ordered a Tessla. He bought one from an individual.

I closed my Bank of Ozark acct the middle of February...went inside & withdrew the money so I'm positive it's closed. My Aetna supplemental plan is automatic withdrawal 1st of every mo. I noticed it had not been deducted from my new Discover account for March. I called Aetna about my concern & she said "oh, it was paid March 1st"  from an account ending in 8642. I told her that's impossible, as I closed that account weeks ago & there's no money in there. I can't figure this out and how it was paid for? 

Trish, the nail polish is Sally Hansen Extreme Wear #189, Mauve Over. I'm a big fan of mauve lipstick and nail polish. Emily uses red. I tried it but it looks awful on me. 

Last edited by DownSouth (3/07/2024 3:54 pm)

D e v o n n e

3/07/2024 4:10 pm  #42

Holly- they didn’t require a deposit! So no Peña if he decides not to take it.
Devonne- Propane has no odor but they add a real stinky stuff to the gas so you can’t miss it if there’s a leak.
They didn’t fix the propane today. They never came. I called and she said they called but no one answered so they didn’t come. 🤬. I guess I missed the call while at the dentist. It’s outside repair so why did they need me to be home?

Last edited by tricia-anne (3/09/2024 9:54 pm)

3/07/2024 4:39 pm  #43

Devonne, it looks like 1/2 square triangles specifically arranged to form that design.  If I'm right, you'd probably have to plan it out on graph paper.  Might be somewhat of a challenge, at least for me it would.

We were toying with doing our errands in town today to avoid the rain, tomorrow.  But, my friend Cheryl called for a loooonng chat, (1 1/2 hrs) and as we were saying goodbye, ML called for another 45 mins.Howard saw a cardinal pair in a shrub we have by our front porch.  And later, I saw two bluebirds which are fairly rare around here--bright blue/red breast/beautiful!  The cardinals stay all winter I don't believe bluebirds do.  

Howard is having another all day in front of the TV.  I can't believe he does this day after day.  I'm a bit worried, yet don't want to borrow trouble.  And I dare not say anything and start something.  I'm just glad I have a few spots I can retreat to in this house.  He's already asked about supper.  He's getting Polish sausage, browned and leftover egg plant soup.  I'm  having "something else"...to be decided.

I've been on Federal jury duty once when we were first married.  About 30 mile away in Hammond, pure city driving but Howard had been a Navy recruiter in the same bldg. that I needed to go to. This was way before GPS but he could give me clear directions to it.  I went 3 days in a row and then it was settled out of court. The whole process was interesting and I was much younger and up for it.  The second time I was called was for the local court but right at the end of our building  this house and I was 'fried' from that ordeal, so was super glad they passed me over.  This was a drunk driving case and  when asked the few questions they ask, I told the judge that I live with a man who was abused by his alcoholic mother.  She said, "Mrs. Lyons can't you  disregard that and serve if necessary?"  I told her, politely, that " I could try, but that I  live with the effects of that every day."   That was and is the truth, still, too often.        I was excused! 
"
Wow!  at 4:30, the sun is coming out for the first time today.  Gently, not brightly, but still nice to see.  

Friend Cheryl and I talked and regretted the demise of so many of the brick and mortar stores that we used to take for granted to shop at.  Carson Pirie Scott, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Pier One and now it seems Jo-Ann's is about to file bankruptcy.  Others like Barnes & Noble and even Kohl's are much diminished in their available merchandise.   Granted we're near the end of our active shopping days, and maybe the younger people don't know the difference, but it's sad when we recall what it used to be like.   I can't imagine buying on line...only. 

Better quit.  Still lots to be thankful for.  And it wasn't so easy in the pioneer days, was it?  
Off to fry that sausage and heat up that soup for the MAN.  
Indy 

Last edited by indyanny (3/07/2024 4:46 pm)

3/07/2024 4:49 pm  #44

Patty, your package arrived!  Thanks so much.  

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

3/07/2024 6:33 pm  #45

HOLLY.......YOU BRING BACK MEMORIES.  WHEN I WENT FOR GROCERIES ONE TIME MY HUBBY TOLD ME TO GET SOME GARBAGOOL.  I WENT TO THE DELI COUNTER.  THEY NEVER HEARD OF IT.  SO I LOOKED AROUND AND FOUND IT SPELLED AS CAPICOLA.   ITALIANS PRONOUNCED WORDS ENTIRELY DIFFERENTLY.  WHEN MY MIL WAS TEACHING ME HOW TO MAKE HER SPAGHETTI SAUCE WHICH SHE WOULD COOK ON THE STOVE FOR HOURS, SHE TOLD ME TO ADD A HALF C OR WAS IT E.......SOMETHING.  I COULD NOT FIGURE OUT WHAT SHE MEANT.  MY HUBBY PICKED UP AN ONION AND LO AND BEHOLD THAT WAS IT.  HIS FAMILY THRIVED ON MORNING COFFEE WITH ITALIAN BREAD SOAKED IN THE CUP ALONG WITH THE COFFEE. I FORGET NOW WHAT ITS CALLED.  AND THE PASTA FAZOOLA.
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.  QB S 

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

3/07/2024 6:49 pm  #46

CALLING ALL MY LADIES.......HAS ANYONE TRIED THE NEW PHOTOSTICK ADVERTISED LATELY.  IT DOES ALL THE WORK FOR YOU, JUST PLUG IT IN???
STARTS AT 59.99 FOR ABOUT 15 THOUSAND PHOTOS AND MORE COSTLY STICK FOR ONE THAT HOLDS MORE PHOTOS.
IF SO, LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE IT.

QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (3/07/2024 6:49 pm)

3/07/2024 11:06 pm  #47

Thanks for letting me know Carol, that was quick!

Today was a beautiful spring day!
This weekend I'm at. embroidery retreat.  Our local Baby Lock dealer puts it on each March.  There's usually about 80 ladies.  A few are missing but there are seven new ones.  I've done five little projects tonight.  Many more to come tomorrow.

Sew Happy (Patty)
Northern Minnesota

3/08/2024 10:11 am  #48

ITS A BRIGHT SUNNY DAY AND I AM FEELING BETTER TODAY.  NO MORE KNEE PAIN EITHER.  I ALREADY DID MY LAPS THIS MORNING AND VACUUMED MY 2 ROOMS OF CARPETING.  FEELS GOOD TO FEEL GOOD.
I THINK I WILL MAKE SOME CHICKEN N RICE SOUP TODAY FOR ME AND THE GANG IF THEY WANT ANY.  I FEEL SOUP WILL WORK TONITE.  I HAVE SOME STEAK I NEED TO MAKE FOR LUNCH SO A SMALL LUNCH WITH SOME TATERS ON THE SIDE.

DEVONNE......I AGREE WITH JUDY.  THOSE LOOK LIKE HALF-SQ TRIANGLES TO ME JUST SET UP TO LOOK LIKE THEY DO.  AN EASY WAY TO GO AS LONG AS YOU CAN LAY THEM OUT CORRECTLY.  THAT WOULD BE THE TRICK.

NOTHING EXCITING HAPPENING HERE.  I ALMOST FEEL I AM GETTING BACK MY SEWING MOJO.  MAYBE I WILL DO SOMETHING WITH THAT FEELING TODAY.
BE SAFE MY FRIENDS.  HUGS, QB S 

3/08/2024 10:18 am  #49

Good Morning, it is 41* outside and fairly breezy, but forecast for high winds!  It rained overnight, as the driveway is standing in water.  Rhonda will be by later and is going to Costco.  I will likely go with her, just for something to do.  Well, I have an eye dr. appt., so will likely go with her!!

Today would have been by baby brother's birthday, but he passed away many years ago.  He would have been 79.  Hard to believe he's gone after so many years.  Other than the eye dr., I have no plans for the day.  I have nothing more to say, so will sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

3/08/2024 2:29 pm  #50

I had to try drawing out Devonne's half square triangles pattern, and it wasn't that difficult.  Like QB said, you'd need to lay them out to make sure you got the same fabric touching each other, properly.    So simple yet  effective a design.    

We are having a lovely rainy day.  I do like a rainy day sometimes--if it's a stay-at-home day to do just what I want at a gentle pace.  Howard finally went upstairs!  another 

BJ, good thing you remembered your eye appt.  You could have still been in your jammies when Rhonda came, if you decided NOT to go with her to Costco.  Sorry for the loss of your little brother.  Memories can be good or bad.  Hope yours are good ones for the little time you had with him.

Patty, have fun at your retreat.  Sounds like you didn't have to battle the weather to get there. 

I'm going to close this and also go upstairs (we have individual "studios" up there) and fiddle with my latest project--a corduroy shirt, an ages ago garage sale find, beautiful pattern fabric that I'm remodeling to fit me...I hope.  If it doesn't work, I'll turn it into a small wall hanging.  But I have some coordinating plain fabric that I think I can use to add more inches, in the right places.  Might turn out to be an at-home shirt.  Well see.
I do love tinkering around with such things.
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (3/08/2024 2:33 pm)

3/08/2024 2:59 pm  #51

Heavy rain is moving in shortly, so we didn't get work on the lawn today. My neighbor would get all my fertilizer and have a beautiful yard, lol. 

BJ, my sister, Kay, would have been 77 years old March 2nd. It's good to remember our loved ones. She died in 2007.

Thanks, Judy and Sandra. As much as I liked the picture of the quilt, there was no pattern. Doubt I could ever get it lined up right. I'm going to see if there are any You Tube videos.

Just got a weather alert...heavy rain, possible severe storms and we're under a flood warning. This means my backyard will get way too much rain. If this happens (again), I need to talk to my neighbor about doing a trench,

Last edited by DownSouth (3/08/2024 3:03 pm)

D e v o n n e

3/08/2024 4:00 pm  #52

I’m worn out, emotionally. Today was Big Ed’s funeral. It was over an hour from us, with the viewing right in the church. He was a Marine, and very active in the local Marines post, and was buried in his red jacket. The Marines did a whole ceremony, then the Catholic funeral mass, which went on for days. To the cemetery, with a g** salute, and taps played, which always does me in. Then more Catholic stuff. Then to lunch, and just got home. My brother and family were there, as were F and C, since we all saw Big Ed and Jeanne several times a year. He will be missed. At least the weather was very nice today.

3/08/2024 5:37 pm  #53

Holly, those military funerals are so emotional.  My brother was a Viet Nam vet and he, too had a special g** salute.  Plus they had the empty boots and bayonet at the site.  

Sandra, I have not seen that photostick, sorry.  I am not a good one for taking photos at all.

Judy, I like rain if I don't have to go out as I hate having my feet wet.  It is a pet peeve.  Dean loves it and walks in it often when it rains.

On the subject of juries, I was on a Federal Jury back in 1988 or 1989, can't remember the exact year.  I was the mom of two young kids and had to find a sitter.  I was a stay at home mom and had no relatives close.  Finally, a neighbor watched them for me.  It was a rape/kidnapping case.  I was so confused as to the kidnapping charge but soon learned that since the creep pulled the girl from the running/hiking trail into the nearby bushes, it was charged as kidnapping.  I was quite naive at that age.  So, if I have to serve again, it will be my third time on a Federal Jury.  My notice said it could be Grand Jury or Federal.

Devonne, that pattern was pretty.  I have been making scrap pinwheels and using up some pretty aweful fabric from Temu.  I saw lots of rave reviews on facebook and boy, were they wrong!  The fabric is mostly thin and aweful.  I probably should not even use it for pinwheels in a quilt but I will use it up anyway.  I did not buy much and I am glad of that.

Much cooler today and storms on the way.  My daffodils are all blooming and the weatherman said snow possible on Sunday.  They will be fine as they have come up through the snow before.

3/08/2024 9:54 pm  #54

Too funny about the pasta pronunciation, we say "far - geo - lee" with the zhhh ( no idea how to write that LOL) sort of sound on the "g" Must be how they evolve the sound when they have been in the country a long time, our Nunzio says it that way, he is still heavily accented.

THANK YOU for the recipe CHERYL 

SANDRA it's too hot for soup here, I found the name of the Agatha Christie show, it's Why Didn't They Ask Evans, looking forward to it. Enjoy your soup!

DEVONNE I thought at first it was strips cut with a 60deg angle, maybe my eyes do need doing! It's very pretty.

We have a funeral on Monday HOLLY they played the last post at my dads, it was incredible to hear it for him, and then presented the Australian flag to me, being Catholic I find the service comforting in a way, been doing it in the school choir since I was tiny so we called ourselves professional mourners, it gave us a different view of death I think, that life goes on, all my school friends have the same thoughts about it. The 2 whose husbands died have said while they mourn them it's more a private thing, guess we were so much involved as kids we developed some matter of factness about it. 

We still miss those family who have gone, I still want to pick up the phone and talk to my dad and Dianne. But the pain is not there any more. 

I had sewing yesterday, our friend Rita (husbands funeral on Monday ) came, so we all got the hugs and tears out of the way as soon as she got there, then it was sewing day as usual, she thanked us all at quitting time, said she was so glad she came, and she was able to just be herself for a while.

Poor thing, she has so much to do, he hadn't retired, she has his work car, almost new, their caravan in storage, and so much to deal with, we told her to let the accountant and solicitor do it all. she decided with our encouragement to let the dealer sell the caravan on consignment. She doesn't need money so much as peace and ease of getting things done, she would get more if she sold everything herself, but at a big stress cost.

Just emptied the china cabinet, it also has wine stored in the bottom of it. And Pete helped to move it across the room, the builders are finally coming to do the repairs, they said they will be in at 7-8am on both Tuesday and Wednesday, of course it will be blazing hot those days, so I hope I will be able to use the A/C soon, They are cutting out the ceiling, so I won't be able to turn it on then, too much heat coming from under the roof. 

It was fun going through the china, forgot I had some things, and my SIL would LOVE china mum had which I carefully moved, but she's not getting it. It's sentimental to me, and $$$ to her. It's lovely cups, saucers and plates in english china. We used to give one to mum on Mothers Day when we were kids (dad paid of course LOL )  so there is  9 full sets and a few extras.

I need to move the sofas and clean under them, ready for the builders, but will do that tomorrow. Too hot now!!

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

3/09/2024 10:27 am  #55

ANOTHER DAY DAWNS AND THIS TIME WE GOT THE SOUTH'S RAIN ONCE AGAIN.  IT WILL RAIN TODAY AND TOMORROW.  NOT MY FAVORITE KIND OF DAY BUT I HAVE BOOKS TO READ.
I ORDERED 2
CAROLINE GRAHAM BOOKS FROM THRIFTBOOKS WHICH I HOPE WILL ARRIVE IN ABOUT A WEEK, ONE A HARDCOVER AND ONE PAPERBACK BUT NEITHER LARGE PRINT.  MY LIBRARY DID NOT HAVE ANY OF HERS BUT I WAS ABLE TO BUY DEATH IN DISGUISE  (WHICH IS A FAVORITE MOVIE) AND FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH WHICH ARE BOTH MIDSOMER MURDER MYSTERIES.  I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO READ THEM.  ALREADY FROM THE BLURBS I KNOW THERE ARE DIFFERENCES FROM THE MOVIES.
I MADE THE CHICKEN RICE SOUP FOR ALL OF US AND SHARED WITH 4 LAST NITE.  THEY TEXTED GOOD REVIEWS.  
TODAY I PLAN TO MAKE UP A BOWL OF TUNA SALAD FOR A CHANGE OF PACE.  ITS NICE TO HAVE SOMETHING EASY ON HAND IN CASE I DO NOT FEEL LIKE COOKING.
I DID MY LAPS ALREADY AND I HAVE MY PILLS TO SORT.  THE VACUUMING WAS DONE YESTERDAY SO JUST A BIT OF DUSTING FOR TODAY AND MAYBE CLEANING THE BATHROOM.  I HAVE TO DO THINGS WHILE I AM FEELING GOOD AND TODAY I FEEL GOOD AGAIN.
DON'T FORGET TO TURN YOUR CLOCKS AHEAD FOR DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME. 
HAVE A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (3/09/2024 10:35 am)

3/09/2024 10:42 am  #56

I’m way behind today.  I overslept and didn’t get out of bed until almost 6:45!  Quick coffe and off to the dump, the gym and grocery.  Just now 11:30 eating breakfast. 😵‍💫

3/09/2024 11:09 am  #57

Good Morning, well, I wrote a nice long post, but somehow lost it, so will just say Hi!! and goodbye!  Not sure what I did, but it's gone now, so will just sign off and wish you all well, BJ.

3/09/2024 4:39 pm  #58

A very quiet day here...I didn't get the heavy rain predicted nor the storms, but other areas in Georgia were flooded.

I'll be posting some cruise photos soon. This trip really kicked my butt. I guess I wasn't used to being that active and all the walking. Gary said imagine how tired you would be if you had gotten off at the ports. I don't want to think about that, lol. 

I'm watching a Hallmark Channel series called The Way Home with Andie MacDowell. I love her acting. I only found it a few days ago and am on Season 1, E6. There is a Season 2 as well. Anyone else watching it?

Trish, I thought it was 45 or 60 degree angles as well. Have you learned anything about the spinning wheel or do you want to keep it as a family heirloom?

Last edited by DownSouth (3/09/2024 4:40 pm)

D e v o n n e

3/09/2024 8:51 pm  #59

Devonne, we've watched all the The Way Home episodes from the beginning.  I like Andie Mac Dowell, too.  I love her luxurious hair.  It's an interesting story line--not my usual fare.  Are you enjoying it?

We had a nice day.  Delivered some books to my friend, Cheryl, along with a sample of a new chicken soup recipe I tried.  She often has her family for extended visits and welcomes some help with feeding them, ie new recipes, not actual preparation.  She live on a lake and her DD who lives in Beavercreek, OH bought the house right next door (to Cheryl), not to move there now, but as a second home and for their retirement home.    It's been flipped and is just beautiful and we got a tour of it.    Then, we stopped for Subway sandwiches which relieved me of supper duties, tonight.  

Cheryl, you got that right,  rain's okay, if you can stay home.  Which we could, yesterday.  Can't wait to try your recipe.  I love that soup at Olive Garden.  I don't make very good chili and this sounds like a good substitute.  My Federal Jury duty stint was in 1979.

Holly, so sorry about Big Ed.  He'll be missed by many.  The military funerals are hard.  I had a friend who was on Army funeral duty  and he told me he always went home and bawled like a baby after a funeral.

Good night and sweet dreams.
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (3/09/2024 8:54 pm)

3/09/2024 10:15 pm  #60

JANET so sorry about the propane, hope you have it fixed now! 
So the car, did he or didn't he LOL  ?

PATTY another retreat, YAHOO!! I am really looking forward to mine, the girls liked the Mondo bag I had in class, so a few have elected to make one that weekend. They better bring something else, they don't take long.  I am going to do another out of the Jane Austen leftovers. There is so much fabric I will have plenty.

INDY  sounds like a lovely day, so nice for your friend to have family close by eventually. Haven't heard of The Way Home, but I do like Andie McD, so I will search it out, her hair is so gorgeous grey, I love it!

SANDRA I love Midsomer as well, so will search out those books, I found the first Midsomer one, and might get that at the library, but I have 8 books either here or on order, so better get those out of the way first LOL'

BJ  that happens to me a lot too, I think I must hit a key wrong. Hope you have a wonderful day!!

HOLLY hope you all recover from the funeral, they are draining (((hugs))))

DEVONNE I am going to play with a drawing later - or  maybe when the builders are here  - that pattern looks like part of Hunters Star - that is set with angles. I have the pattern and ruler for that too LOL Still waiting for 'another time' I was thinking it was cut from jelly roll, and with a 60 deg cut, then the white also at 60deg attached to it to form strips. I can't see th epic now. I will have to search later, it's hard when you only see a little bit.

Got all the furniture moved, and the floors and skirtings done, I wanted to vac the sofas as well. Now the living room is done, and they builders will mess it u p on Tuesday.

I have plenty to  keep me occupied in the sewing room - as long as I have power. I have most of the rows sewn together for Jane Austen, but not the sashing on them, I ordered a fabric online, c couldn't get the proper backing fabric, EXCEPT for $50 metre online and I need 2.5 metres OUCH I draw the line at that, I could afford it, but it's just wasting money when I could find something just as good at $35 metre. Fabric has gone up dramatically here, it's a wide back, but even so!! 

I have butter softening on the bench, and frozen bananas thawing. I will also make some Anzac biscuits tomorrow when we get home after the funeral.

My poor sis rang me last night crying, her other BIL (with cancer ) had died just before she rang, they phoned her in Bali to tell her, she is going to come home, she wasn't supposed to come back till 17th, but she is fretting for her family now, and there is Day of Silence in Indonesia tomorrow for 24 hours, so she can't fly out till Tuesday, for this 24 hours everything is shut, silence everywhere and even the airport is closed. You are not supposed to leave your house.

Just had a long call from my cousin, her oldest son died, he was a heavy drinker, and they found him dead in his caravan. She and her hubby had sold up and had moved to the coast to be nearer him, he was found after no-one could contact him for a couple days. She seems fine, it will take a while for it all to sink in. Robin is 8 years older than me, we seem to have so many funerals  right now, no more please 

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

Board footera