OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/13/2024 1:04 pm  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY FEBRUARY 11 ~ SAT FEBRUARY 17

I don't get bored, either. If anything, I get up tight because there's so much I'm interested in and not enough hours in a day to pursue it all.   I thought my ability to entertain myself came from being an only child, but you, Devonne, grew up in a big family and are the same or even more so.   I do have Howard to feed and consider but he's fairly independent, now, both with his eating and with whatever he's interested in or involved with.  I did just make us both BLTs for lunch but that's rare.  He usually gets whatever he wants himself, if he eats anything. YIPPEE!!    He has camped in front of my TV both yesterday and so far, today.  But, if I said the word, he'd go upstairs.  So, I've been in the spare bedroom/study  and the sun room to get away from the tv.   

Seems were all a bunch of old gals, not to insult our younger ones,  that are quite self-sufficient and content with our lot.  Hallelujah!  

So, I'm thankful for (1) THAT  and 
that (2 )the back yard neighbor must be gone somewhere for a bit as he's not out there burning something,
and for (3) so far, the mildest February I can remember.    Still half the month to go so I don't want to crow too soon.  I was so surprised to see the Nor'easter blowing into the Eastern States.  Speaking of crowing, on milder days, the single rooster next door crows and crows.  He must be a young one as he's not too loud, just sweet...If that's a way to describe a rooster?  
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (2/13/2024 1:09 pm)

2/13/2024 1:24 pm  #22

GOSH, I NEARLY FORGOT.  IT'S HOLLY'S BIRTHDAY TODAY.  I WAS SO WRAPPED UP IN MYSELF.  SORRY.  BUT I'M BACKKKKK!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Last edited by quiltbea (2/13/2024 1:27 pm)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

2/13/2024 1:25 pm  #23

I went to Bank of Ozark this morning and closed my account. I also have a Capital One account. I came home and transferred that money to my Discover account. After it clears, I will close Capital One. I was happy with Capital One, not as much Ozark. Only one bank account after this transfer clears! 

I met Gary at Chick-fila. I always buy his lunch and he always thanks me. I don't buy if it's more than him, lol. 

Came home and finished grooming Gracie, cleaned up the mess and now I'm going to rest awhile. 

ETA: Happy birthday, Holly! You're almost a Valentine's Day girl! 

Last edited by DownSouth (2/13/2024 1:28 pm)

D e v o n n e

2/13/2024 3:36 pm  #24

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLY! HOPE IT IS A SPECIAL DAY FOR YOU.

NOT SURE WHAT IS FOR SUPPER TODAY.  DIDN'T GET MUCH AT THE STORE YESTERDAY. MUCH NEEDED BREAD, NASAL SPRAY AND SOME PERSONAL PRODUCTS. NOT MUHC AS FAR AS MEALS CONCERNED.

HAVE STARTED SOME MUCH NEEDED LAUNDAY. BEHAIND ON EVERYTHING.

FORGOT WHOSE HUBBY HAD THE HAND AND WRIST SURGERY, BUT DO WISH HIM WELL. THE ORTHOPEDIST'S PA, TOLD ME THAT BONE PAIN IS THE WORSE PAIN. HOPE BY NOW STARTONG TO FEEL SOME RELIEF.

VERY WINDY TODAY. GROUND IS SATURATED, SO COULD BRING POWER LINES DOWN FROM FALLING TREES. SO FAR SO GOOD HERE.

THINKING OF EVERYONE. PRAYERS..............

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

2/13/2024 4:04 pm  #25

Happy Birthday Holly!

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

2/13/2024 4:15 pm  #26

Judy, I wouldn't know what it would be like to be an only child. My sisters and I always changed clothes and shoes (well, we often "stole" what each other got ready the night before, lol!) 

This is me (on the right) and my sister, Wanda Faye, on the left. I was 4 years older than her. White gloves were popular then, lol. This was my May 1968 HS graduation dress (white). You don't see pleated dresses like this anymore and look how short our dresses are. Faye died in 2008. Unfortunately, she was addicted to prescription drugs (oxycodone). I was devastated when I learned this...and angry with her. I don't know anyone that called her Wanda. Faye was the youngest girl out of 6...I was the next in line. I had 4 sisters older than me. 

I was pregnant with Gary in this picture. I had just graduated from high school. In 1966, I went to college and spent the summer on campus to determine my "college plans." Summer of 1967 we got married. All my plans changed when I finished HS and moved to Georgia. My Mother wasn't very happy. 

I'm fixing cabbage, onions and sausage for dinner. 

ETA: Dee just left and I forgot to add the picture and a few more details, so had to edit. 

Last edited by DownSouth (2/13/2024 5:48 pm)

D e v o n n e

2/14/2024 5:49 am  #27

Happy Birthday Holly.
Happy Valentines Day.

2/14/2024 9:19 am  #28

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! 

D e v o n n e

2/14/2024 10:01 am  #29

Thanks for the birthday wishes! And Happy V Day to all! I was born at 7 pm on Friday the 13th of February. Almost a V Day baby, and mom always said Friday the 13th was her lucky day! 

Were going out to lunch for my birthday and V Day.

2/14/2024 10:37 am  #30

HAPOY VAKENTINE''S DAY!

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

2/14/2024 10:39 am  #31

Good Morning, it's a cool (40*) day, very still outside.  Barely a leaf is moving.  Snow is forecast for a tiny bit.  I don't have any energy this morning, so will be totally brief!!  Happy Valentine's Day to everyone.  Hope you have a wonderful day!  I'm signing off now and wish you all well, BJ.

2/14/2024 11:30 am  #32

Happy Birthday, Holly, a day late.  You share a b.d. with Howard's sister, Linda.  For 3 weeks, they're the same age.  I can't imagine that.  My kids are 9 years apart.  Have a nice birthday/Valentine's Lunch.

Another bright sunny day.  I stood in the garage back door soaking in the sun and fresh air for a bit.
i was thankful too soon, yesterday.  When i looked out back, the neighbor was burning after all.  Guess he didn't go anywhere...

I started in my sewing room yesterday afternoon.  Howard continued to watch tv down here all day.  But, I got a tiny beginning to my clean up/clear out for which I'm happy.  Will be heading back up there soon, today.  Little bites.  

Nice picture, Devonne.  Sad about your losing your sister so early..  Must have been a bit scary to leave your family and move away.  At the time, did you think it would be permanent?  The only move in my life to Texas (at age 40) seemed like it would be forever.  But, 2 1/2 yrs. later, we moved back up here due to the same reason we moved there, employment.  

Going to be brief or again, I won't get anything done.  Have a good day.
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (2/14/2024 11:31 am)

2/14/2024 11:49 am  #33

WE WERE MISSED BY STORM LORRAINE.  NOT EVEN A DROP OF ANYTHING, JUST GRAY SKIES.  NICE.
ITS COOLER TODAY, ONLY IN THE 20S BUT SUNNY.   SUITS ME FINE.

I MADE PIZZA LAST NITE AND ONLY SHARIED WITH ONE OTHER SINCE I WANTED TO USE UP THE LAST OF MY PEPPERONI AND THE OTHERS DON'T CARE FOR PEPPERONI.  JUST TOM AND I TO ENJOY IT ALL.  AND YES, IT SUITED US FINE.
DON'T GET THE WRONG IDEA  ABOUT DEAR TOM.  HE IS SO SWEET AND KIND AND I LOVE HIS LITTLE DOG OSCAR MEYER, BUT NO FLUTTERING HEART FOR ME,,,,,OR HIM EITHER.  JUST GOOD FRIENDS.  LIKE I SAID, I AM HOLDING OUT FOR THAT BILLIONAIRE OR NOTHING AT ALL.  I THINK ITS GOING TO BE NOTHING AT ALL.
PLANS FOR ME ARE MINOR.  A LITTLE LUNCH, AND THEN BINGO LATER.  I AM STILL READING MY MISS MARPLE MYSTERY, MAKING IT LAST.  THEN I ONLY HAVE PAPERBACKS TO FALL BACK ON UNTIL MARCH WHEN THE LIBARY LADY DELIVERS MY NEW BATCH OF LARGE PRINTS.

I NEVER HAD TO SHARE HAND-ME-DOWNS.  MY SISTER WAS 19 YEARS OLDER THAN ME AND OUT ON HER OWN BEFORE I WAS A IN SCHOOL.   LIL WAS MY HALF-SISTER BUT LOVED LIKE A FULL ONE AND MAYBE MORE.  I HAD A BROTHER.  I DID GET SOME HAND-ME-DOWNS FROM NEIGHBORS THOUGH.  SOME WERE LIKE BRAND NEW STORE-BOUGHT SO IT NEVER BOTHERED ME TO WEAR THEM. 

OFF TO WATCH SOME MORE TV AND READ.  HAVE BEEN PLAYING SOLITAIRE ON MY PHONE AGAIN WHICH MEANS I AM RECHARGING THAT.  
I WISH YOU ALL A WONDERFUL LOVING DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (2/14/2024 11:58 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

2/14/2024 12:35 pm  #34

About hand me downs …. My only siblings were brothers so no hand me downs for me from them. But I did get some from an older cousin. I loved her clothes but she and I had totally different body builds so they didn’t fit me well.  By the time I started high school, my thin, flat-chested body couldn’t wear clothes from her shapely body.

My niece has two sweet little girls, ages 2 and 5.  Big sis Matilda has a tiny body and little sis Eloise is built bigger.  Hannah laughingly said Matilda might start  getting hand me downs from Eloise soon.

2/14/2024 2:07 pm  #35

HAPPY
VALENTINE'S
DAY!!!! 

2/14/2024 2:34 pm  #36

Afternoon y'all! 

DS, we are still looking for a retirement house.  Still in the mountains, somewhere!  Mom will be 91 next month, we want to be able to move when we are able, once we find a place we will start the clean-up, and making it ours, paint, carpet, floors, counters, etc.  This way we can take our time, and not make quick decisions!  We can slowly move, stuff from here to there.... 

Holly Happy (late) Birthday! 

I took typing in HS, got the manual machine, was too slow to class the first day and people selected the electric ones first!  I was so not the brightest bulb on the tree in those days!  But I still struggle with typing today.  I'm better than I was then!  

Hand me overs, yup, got them from my DSis even though she was 6 years older than I am.  Mom also made us clothes, identical clothes.  We both hated that!  Plus I knew I was going to have to wear that outfit again in the future! 

Usual busy week.  Made doctors appointments on Monday.  Actually got my physical scheduled for Tuesday morning, now it's done for a year.  Luke's was scheduled for this morning!  That's off the plate, I now have a primary care that I like!  I have more appointments next week, all routine stuff, I have been putting it all off since Dsis's passing and getting mom settled.  Now I am off like a herd of turtles!

We are working on hopefully the last few addresses to change for mom!  One is her Canadian retirement.  Tried to go online and set her up online access, but it is difficult since we are out of country, need to copy, and get certified that copy of the POA, and snail mail it to them.  Really people, I had an easier time with SS here.   I may do a UPS or Fed-ex for the copy to expedite things!  Snail mail can take weeks to Canada! 

Next will be the Canadian bank.  I'm thinking I will need to do the certified copy again.  May just make a couple copies, and play it safe! 

Not really sure where to go to to get "certified copies"  I will figure it out.  Figured I would try my bank first, I need to fix the spelling of mom's name there anyways!  

Nothing else exciting from my little corner of the world! 

Later my Friends! 

2/14/2024 3:33 pm  #37

Theresa, is your mom Canadian? What state do you want to live in the mountains of? A quilter I follow , used to go under Mary Quilts, is in N Georgia, and showed bears on her trail cams from her yard! Yikes!

The year I was in 8th grade, the school offered personal typing for college prep kids. I think every one of us got a typewriter for Xmas that year! I still say it was the most useful class I took in school! The middle school kids were most impressed when they saw me type with all fingers! 

We went to Applebee’s for our V Day lunch, then came home and napped under the electric throw blanket. 

Being the oldest and only girl, no hand me downs for me! And Mike was a husky and John a slim (which they’ve reversed in their old age) so no hand me downs there either. I think Mom passed their clothes on to cousins.

2/14/2024 3:50 pm  #38

Happy belated birthday, Holly!

I had one older and one younger brother and  no sisters.  No close girl cousins, but I did have most of my clothes as second hand.  My mom divorced my abusive dad when I was  so we had no money.  A family friend in the next town had two girls just a year or so older then me and I got a lot of clothes from them.  I loved getting them!  They were new to me and I was a happy girl.  I was very involved in school activities and always looked "in style".  lol.  (Of course during my high school days, 1970-1974, the style was bell bottoms and fringe. )  I was on Prom Court, Homecoming court, Sweetheart court, etc and mom always managed to find money to get what I needed.  That woman was a saint.  She has been gone since 1997 and I still miss her every day.

I, too, can amuse myself but I still get  bored since retirement.  Like Judy, I have no close girlfriends and no regular church friends.  My hubby is amazing and Aaron and his family are always around but I feel like I have no real purpose these days.  I walk daily, read, sew, crochet, watch a little TV and watch a lot of Youtube.  Still, the days are long some days.  Dean loves being retired so I guess I will adjust.  Maybe I need a dog. 

Devonne, I enjoy seeing your old pictures.

Nothing else today so will sign off.

2/15/2024 11:01 am  #39

Good Morning to everyone!!  I love reading your posts!!  So interesting.  I just really enjoy what everyone has to say and do,  thank you all very much for the interesting posts!!!  It is rainy and windy this morning, 38*.  So not much going on for me.  Both my girls are off on trips.  Rhonda went to Az. to see her daughter and Tracy went to Reno!  To do whatever one does in Reno!!!

I have no plans for the day, think Frank may be up and moving.  This will be another lazy day for me, not much to do.  Well, I really don't have anything else to say, so will sign off.  Wishing you all really well, hope you all have a wonderful day, BJ.

2/15/2024 12:50 pm  #40

Good Morning.  I guess many of us feel our posts are boring but at least we're entertaining BJ.   Hope the time the girls are away goes fast, BJ.  And hope they have wonderful times, which I know is your wish, too.  

Cheryl, it was Devonne who said she has no girl- or church friends.  I vote for getting the dog.  And if you do, I know you won't pick a tiny, babyish, peculiar one that needs lots of care...like my Fancy!  

I do  still have a few girlfriends and many acquaintances from  the many years at  the same church.  But, my g.f.s  are slowly dwindling.  My classmate, May, passed away Sunday afternoon.    She moved to MO many years ago, but we always did phone calls and when she visited here, she usually stopped by.  I will miss her...   My other recent loss is my classmate, Ruthie, who now lives in GA very near Devonne.  We are no longer in touch. Christmas Eve Day, while we were chatting about my family's early gathering the day before at ML's including some of the not unusual issues we all have with family get-togethers, SOMEHOW?  the subject turned to politics and although she and I  had never really discussed that before, she got angry with me  (who I swear was blindsided and ignorant/innocent), suddenly  said "goodbye, Judy."  and hung up.  I haven't heard from her since.   Sometimes you know you've contributed to a situation, but I have a clear conscience about this and will not try to contact her.  I mean, what would I ever feel safe to talk about after that?  I did write her a brief note to tell her of May's death.  For some time I've had the role of  go-between  for my remaining girl classmates, and I felt this was the right thing to do.  One of my personal rules is, like here on ODT, I never discuss politics.  There's lots to talk about, reminisce about, share after years of friendship, and I don't want to lose friends or family  over that subject. Ruth is the one whose 4 daughters (living in IN) have utterly cut her out of their lives and for years.  Why, exactly?  No one knows including her, she says, but we others have minded our own business fearing to "rush in where angels fear to tread."  

Theresa, that sounds like a wonderful plan.  Slow but sure and just what you want in the home you find.   For some reason, I always thought your sister was younger than you.  Maybe because you are the one who saw the problems, worked on them, and tried to make it better.  You've had a heavy,  heavy load, but a good hubby, kids and friends, thankfully.  

Yippee!  Howard finally went upstairs after three days of constant tv watching.  Not like him at all.  He said he was okay and he wasn't ornery about anything.  Oh well, we all have our quirks!  

Going up there myself, right now.  But not with him.  To my sewing room in which I made a tiny dent on Tuesday.  Maybe I'll make another, today.  
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (2/15/2024 12:55 pm)

Board footera