OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/09/2024 10:27 am  #41

Re: ODT SUNDAY FEBRUARY 4 ~ SAT FEBRUARY 10

I think the two worst things to shop for are bras and swimsuits.

Yesterday was one of those days…my father used to say if anything can go wrong, it will go wrong.  Nothing serious but very annoying
    Started early…the plan was simple, sew with friends, was the car, get coffee, stop at the Farmhouse store for a few things and go to the gym.  Simple right?
Here’s what really happened…went to sewing and my plan was to do the hand sewing part of my binding….the thread kept getting tiny knots in it, changed thread, same thing.  Frustrated I left the group early to carry on.  The car wash was out of order? The sign said.  Off to the coffee house and it was closed? The to the Farmhouse but it’s winter hours changed and they don’t open til noon.  Then went to the next coffee house and the parking lot was full and the traffic was awful…figured the Bagel shop would work for coffee…it had no power!  So I went straight to the gym.  🙁. Like I said, nothing serious, just annoying and it ruined my entire day.

Last edited by Missmommy (2/09/2024 10:20 pm)

2/09/2024 10:28 am  #42

I WON'T TAKE MUCH OF YOUR TIME TODAY.  THINGS ARE PRETTY NORMAL.  TEMPS ARE PRETTY NICE IN THE 40S.  NO COMPLAINTS TO MAKE.

DEVONNE.......ITS GOOD TO CLEAN HOUSE BEFORE LEAVING.  IT MEANS IT WILL STILL BE CLEAN WHEN YOU GET HOME AND NEED TO REST.  HUG YOUR DOGS FOR ME.

I PULLED OUT LOTS OF QUILTING BOOKS FOR ME TO CHECK THROUGH.  I WANT TO FIND SOMETHING I CAN WORK ON BY HAND.  I AM SURE TO FIND SOMETHING.

THAT'S IT LADIES.  A BIT OF CLEANING, A BIT OF COOKING, MAYBE SOME LAUNDRY.  LIKE I SAID, ITS PRETTY ROUTINE TODAY.   HUGS FOR ALL.  QB S 

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

2/09/2024 10:44 am  #43

Good Morning to everyone!!  Hope you are having a wonderful morning!  It is very foggy outside, can just barely see the tall trees across the road.  It obviously rained overnight, there are drippings on all the tree branches.  I have no plans for the day, Tracy will be here this evening.  Love it when she comes!!!

Have no idea what we'll do this weekend, other than get my bath done!  That will be nice.  Rhonda is coming by later.  She has some more shopping to do.  I may go with her, but will make up my mind when she's ready to go.  It is only 36 outside, so may decide to stay inside.  Other than that, I have no plans for the day.  I'm feeling a bit lazy today so no great idea about what to do!!

Well, I'm going to sign off, wishing you all well, sending love and best wishes, BJ.

2/09/2024 2:46 pm  #44

Afternoon y'all! 

Janet Amen to that!  I hate bra and swimsuit shopping.  Thankfully my DD helps me with that! 

QB I'm still working, by hand, on my hexie quilt.  I have made progress, slow but sure!  

Weird day here.  Nothing like Janet's day yesterday!  Went to see mom, as I was leaving saw a friend of mine who's mom was at the same facility, her mom passed yesterday.  Talked with her for a short bit then off to the park.  Getting close to done with the park walk and noticed cars from one entrance to the other, in both directions.  The gentleman I walk with and I went to the main road, to see what was going on, and all lanes blocked in both directions, traffic backed up as far as we could see.   We made plans to walk to firehouse subs, a block away, if traffic didn't clear when we were done.  Fortunately I do keep one credit card with me when I walk.  Didn't need it, but we had a plan.  We could see one of those lit arrows blocking one lane, but all 4 lanes were closed.  Never figured out why, but it cleared and I got home in good order.  

Once home power was glitching off and on.  Not enough to reset appliances, but enough to reset internet!  

I have been making phone calls.  So far one out of 2 has accomplished what I want.  I want to work for these offices that close early on Fridays!  

Going to make a couple more calls and call it done for the day! 

Nothing else exciting here.  I do feel like I am finally swimming close to the surface so to speak.  Finally able to take care of me and make routine doc appointments, and not scheduling repairs and dates to go to the house for maintenance stuff.  I have more life back! 

Later my Friends! Love you all! 

BTW Happy Pizza day! 

2/09/2024 4:37 pm  #45

I made homemade chicken pot pie for dinner. Ralph can’t eat any of the commercial ones, as they all have peas in them and he’s allergic. I was figuring, it cost about $10 to make, and we’ll get 2 full meals and maybe a lunch out of it, so $2.50ish per serving. And it’s so delicious! 

I actually sewed yesterday! I started a Valentine’s Day fabric zig zag table runner for Heather. And wound a bunch of bobbins, and cleaned and oiled the machine before using it. 

2/09/2024 5:21 pm  #46

My poor little daffodils are up about 4 inches already!  I the snow is supposed to come by Monday, so I hope they make it through.  I know they are a late winter/early spring flower, but this is just too early.  Dean and I were walking in the park today and most of the trees have fingernail sized leaf buds forming.   It was 62 degrees today.

Holly, I thought you had  remodeled most of your home.  Good for you lady!  I would love to do that.  I worked for the school system and have a SERS (School Employee Retirement System) pension.  Small, like my wages ,  but it comes in handy.  However, Dean has a much larger SS one so we are OK money-wise.  The state of Ohio will not allow me to have any part of Dean's SS if he should die before me.  We are one of the few states that don't allow it.  I don't think I could collect SS either if I take my SERS pension.

Today is Dean's birthday, so tease  him that he is "older than me" now.  He is nine months older so we are the same age for a few months and he always reminds me of that.  Joke running for years now.  We don't do anything much for adult birthdays, but will go out to eat tomorrow with Aaron and Katie.  The kids are with their mom this weekend so they will not be going.    Sometimes it nice just to have adults go.

Devonne, I can look on pintrest, but it will not help me as I am helpless when looking at those sites.  I need to see it up close.  I do not like paint over a nice wood but many do it.  When we had our last house, we went in and had to sand off paint on all of the woodwork.  The house was built in 1919 and it had lovely baseboards and woodwork.  People had painted over ti a few times and we spent months sanding and refinishing.  It was really pretty when we were done.  So, I hesitate to paint my kitchen for that reason.

I have been practicing my free motion.  It is going OK.  My Janome machine works great for FM, it is just the operator who needs work.  I like a softly quilted quilt, especially for kids/babies, so I don't do heavy work.

Oh, Janet, what a day!  I would go home and sew and stay there. lol.

2/09/2024 6:35 pm  #47

Janet, sorry you had one of those days.  Those are the ones where I think if I knew it was going to be a bad day I would try to stay in bed and then the bed would collapse under me or something else equally bad.  Hugs for a better day. 

Theresa, glad that some semblance of normal is on the horizon.

Sandra, congratulations on the Bingo win.  Any win and any socialization is good.

Cheryl, I'm with you on the painted wood.  I'm also in the same boat as you with the Social Security vs. teachers' pension issue. 

A few more days, and I'll be pruning roses.  We're expecting one more cold snap, and then we should be clear of freezes.  It's been nice, but this weekend is the third in a row for rain.  Mardi Gras parades in Galveston are going to be wet on Saturday and Sunday. 

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

2/09/2024 11:58 pm  #48

Just a quick check in to let you know I am still kicking, abet not very high.

Thinking of everyone. Prayers............

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

2/10/2024 9:41 am  #49

Carol- so true!
Yesterday was better and today is going smoothly so far.

2/10/2024 10:00 am  #50

Good Morning to everyone!!  I was up fairly early and got my exercises done, so that's a good thing.  It is 7:57 now so I have lots of day left.  When Tracy gets up, I will take my shower and get ready for whatever we decide to do today.  It is fairly still outside, the sky is a very light blue and the flag is barely moving.  It is 35* right now, but no plans for the day yet.

I will wait for Tracy to get up and then get moving.  I really have nothing more to say, so will sign off, wishing you all a wonderful day, BJ.

2/10/2024 10:53 am  #51

ANOTHER DULL DAY FOR ME.  I MADE THE SOUP YESTERDAY AND SHARED.  ITS WELL RECEIVED WHICH PLEASES ME AND HELPS A COUPLE OF FOLKS WHO JUST DON'T FEEL LIKE COOKING.

I WILL HAVE MY SON OVER TODAY.  HE IS COMING TO CASH MY BUDGET CHECK.  IT WAS TOO BUSY AT THE BANK LAST SATURDAY WHEN HE SHOPPED.  IT WILL BE NICE TO SIT AND TALK WITH HIM.  ALWAYS A PLEASURE.

NOTHING ELSE TO REPORT LADIES.  DULL, DULL, DULL.  AND LOVELY OUT.
BE SAFE.  HUGS QB S 

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

2/10/2024 12:10 pm  #52

I put together the zig zag table runner, I have to decide what fabric to back it with. It’s a pattern where you layer the table runner, backing and batting, sew around the edges and turn it right side out, so no binding needed. It was a video from Missouri Quilt Company. 

My mind is blown by the states that you can’t collect what you’ve paid into! I must lead a sheltered life, I never heard of it til Carol mentioned it. Is there are rationale for it? Jersey has always been for worker’s (union) rights, is that it? 

It’s overcast but on the warm side, 57 out! What a wacky winter! 

Here’s another odd SS fact. in jersey, cops don’t pay intoSS, so can’t collect, but their pension is 60% of their salary. They can retire after 20 years, as my nephew Kevin has done at 49. So cops have time to get another job that pays into SS. 

Heather and family are in W VA for a long weekend of skiing and snow tubing. Jules took two friends and Eddie took girlfriend Steph- they have to come back Sunday night for college classes Monday. They rented a 4 bedroom unit thru their timeshare.

2/10/2024 12:58 pm  #53

Okay, Linda, you made me laugh out loud, ie  "I'm still kicking, albeit not very high!"  I love your sense of humor, always have...   And, how true that is, for many of us.  

I also cringe at the thought of painting over wood.  Maybe that comes from all the refinishing of old furniture I did in my productive years.  One piece I regret doing that with is my old farmhouse hutch.  My grandma had painted it white and shortly after I removed that paint, the painted furniture trend came in and has stayed on.  It would have looked just as well, white, and it would have had her touch on it.  
One place we splurged on when we built our house was hickory cabinets, and right after that, white cabinets became the go to.  But, I loved the hickory then (1996), and still do.  Besides, Howard is one of those men who goes bananas  when we watch the shows that paint everything!  

Mary Leigh and I went to a special evening the Women's ministry at church put on...last night.  Good fellowship, good finger foods, good speaker, stretchy bead bracelets as favors and the most magnificent service dog I've ever seen.  It must have been a Newfoundland.  Huge, the size of a miniature horse, hairy (white), and, of course, perfectly trained.  Not sure what handicap it's owner had.  Don't think she was blind.  Anyway, the invitation was last minute for me and as I'd had a haircut appt. in the afternoon, I even looked fairly good.  And the biggest bonus:  the temperature outside was 60...60 on February 9th!  

Theresa, it's so good to hear that you've finally gotten most of your life back.  It was painful for me/us to hear about all you were going through, and I might add with more grace than I could ever have.  So happy for you and your Mom seems to slowly be settling in.  

Janet, we've all had those days, but yours with one successive "bummer" after another was unbelievable.  
And, it didn't even involve your hubby!  

Well, it's time to get the crockpot started for supper.  Will be Holly's chicken breast with Italian seasoning and cream cheese recipe.  My cr.pot is a newer, higher temperature one, so i don't start chicken breasts too early or they get tough and dry.  Hope I haven't waited too late.  I always start out on high for an hour, then turn down to low, anyway.  

Have a good day and sweet dreams.
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (2/10/2024 1:04 pm)

2/10/2024 1:40 pm  #54

Holly, the pension rules are governed by the US government and their rules about SS.  I don't know how the NJ system works, but for some states, we are being penalized.  What upsets me the most is that I paid into Social Security when I was in the US Navy.  So, even though I'm a veteran, I can't collect what I paid into.

There were some changes in a bill that almost passed last year that would have been enormously helpful.  

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

2/10/2024 2:19 pm  #55

Janet, that was a humdinger day you had! 

Carol, what a shame you can't collect SS. Seems so unfair being a contributor and a Navy veteran too! 

Gary asked if they could stay here while I'm on the cruise. I had already asked Dee to dog sit months ago, but I told him yes, of course! He said it would seem like a vacation. Dee is coming Monday to trim the dogs' toenails. She's not upset about it, but said to let her know if he changes his mind. 

I ordered new pet grooming clippers that will be here today. I started grooming Molly and can't find the charger cord. I have a brand new Wahl that was expensive, but the batteries won't charge. 

Linda, keep on kicking! Doesn't have to be very high, lol! 

D e v o n n e

2/10/2024 3:36 pm  #56

As a teacher in Illinois, I did not pay into SS so cannot collect. I can’t even draw off Bill’s unless my pension is less than what I would get, and even then I would only get the difference. If my choice is my teachers pension or Bills SS, I am very happy to take my pension. It is based on a percentage of the average of my five highest yearly pays while teaching. The percentage is figured based on how long I taught. Bill had invested some money that he was drawing off of and now I get that.  My medical insurance through teachers retirement system is very good.  So I don’t have to worry about money if I spend sensibly.

Last edited by Pvillelou (2/10/2024 7:55 pm)

2/10/2024 10:10 pm  #57

Carol, I think it is awful that you cannot collect on a military service pension for ANY reason.  Mine is bad enough but that is worse.  One would think all of the US would be the same when it came to pensions vs SS.  Not so.

MaryLou, I was not a teacher, but a school secretary, so my pension is way less.  I cannot afford the medical insurance since it is through the teachers' union and too much.  It is a good insurance though.  I just get irritated that I worked years before becoming a school secretary and cannot collect on any of it.  I worked at a college run day care for kids, cashiered at a couple of different stores while going to college and after, worked in a hospital, etc.   I am just one of may in this situation.  We do have investments that we will have to start taking from when we hit age 72 I think, but they stay put for now.

Sandra, I am going to check out that Homesteady site.  I do like those kind of sites on Youtube.  I watch on called Homesteading with the Zimmermans.  They are ex-Memmonites and she has some great cooking and recipe demos.

2/10/2024 11:02 pm  #58

I don’t understand why you can’t draw if you paid in. That is totally different from me not being able to draw from Bill’s.  I know several teachers who had had other jobs where they paid in to SS and now draw small amounts in addition to their teachers pension.

Board footera