OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/02/2024 2:31 pm  #61

Re: ODT SUNDAY JANUARY 28 ~ SAT FEB 3

Afternoon y'all! 

Ashley Welcome Home!  We missed you.  I hope things continue to improve for you! 

QB I keep a small pint jar for used oil.  But I pan fry a lot so it is used frequently.  If not I would toss it each time.  Every so often I do toss it all clean the jar, and start all over again.  The jar gets a sniff each time I open it.  Any hesitation and it goes!  I use a canning jar since I have so many of them!  Only oil, never mix in the other stuff!

DS I have a recipe, from Pillsbury for the doughnuts, using biscuits.  I have not done it since I would have to pull out the deep fryer, clean it out, and put in oil.  I never store it with oil in it!  

Holly an interpretive tour is like when you go somewhere, as in this instance a national battlefield, and a guide tells you about a certain area.  For Luke it's a museum tour, highlighting the various flags of the Confederacy, and the Generals on each side, he also includes the various types of cannon balls and the bullets of the day, plus more.  For the park service it is called interpretive.  Leave it to the government to give it an off the wall name!  Tour guide is too mundane I guess!  

I did make it to the sewing room.  Repaired a pair of sweat pants and made 3-10 minute blocks out of the nickel Christmas squares I have.  I hosted tons of the nickel Christmas swaps and now have tons of them.  I saw on Facebook where someone made a quilt using squares, in a 4 patch, and surrounded each 4 patch with sashing.  Loved the idea, and thought the 10 minute block would look better.  Not sure how many I will make, nor how big I will make the quilt(s).  I have 3-4 shoebox size bins with the nickels in them so it will probably be multiple quilts.  I have not made a dent in the first one.  I am using red and green for the 4 patch, and a white-beige for the center.  I have some blue, and other color nickels.  I'm putting those to the side to figure what to do with them later.  I may use them to break up the sashing.  I will think on it! 

Last night the aide did not make it to mom's room in time to see what we do for mom.  Their loss.  I tried to hold out but mom was ready to change clothes so I go with what she wants.  Making mom wait is never a good idea.  

Today was a normal day.  To mom's, park and home.  Folded laundry and now have time to chat!  

Later my Friends! 

2/02/2024 3:26 pm  #62

Carol, your illusion quilt is fantastic!  How long did it take you to put it together?  I imagine the cutting alone was a lot.

Ashley, good to hear from you!!  I do see you occasionally on Facebook.  I did worry that you were alone with your horrid covid, so it was nice to see that you and your mom re-connected.  Hoping for nothing but health and happiness for you.

On the subject of used grease, I keep a small bowl of bacon grease in my refrigerator as we like to fry our eggs with it.  I also have a mason jar of used oil that I use to deep fry fish or french fries sometimes.  After two or three times of using it, Dean dumps it into his used oil bin and takes it to be disposed of at the local auto parts store.  He changes oil for friends and family and always has to take a barrel of it to the store.  He never  dumps it.  I think they recycle it somehow.

I am working in my sewing room today.  I am attempting to organize my remaining fabric.  I have it in clear plastic totes and it used to be by color or holidays but I have just thrown some in and they are a mess.  I seem to have yards of pink!  Not sure why but I do, so I guess I will make some "girl" blankets for Project Linus.   I also have quite a bit of reds and blues because I used to make quilts for the military in a site called Quilts With Love.  However, the lady who was in charge became ill and now nobody does it.

We had lovely sunshine yesterday but today is back to dreary gray.   I have stayed in all day.  

Take care all!

Last edited by tricia-anne (2/03/2024 12:18 am)

2/03/2024 12:35 am  #63

CAROL that is absolutely amazing, it really does make you want to "poke the bubble" I love those illusion quilts, have never made one, but they are always the one to take my eye at shows. 

SANDRA did you share your bad back LOL I pulled a muscle on Thursday at training, and it hasn't got better, so I cancelled today's training. Keeping a good thought for your friend, hope she comes home soon. I have now watched about 7 episodes of the Midwife show, and am enjoying it. I have been cutting diamonds while I watched. Tonight is the last of the chicken is sweet/savoury sauce I baked this week, I had frozen the leftover for another day, and today is the day.

DEVONNE that looks yum, what a surprise to have Gary cooking for you, I would be happy too LOL  Poor dog, although reality for farming is that dogs are workers, not pets, and sometimes the hard decision is not one we would be likely to make, we went through similar with my BIL when they were farming, The dogs were trained sheep dogs, and putting them down the only thing to do if things went wrong. 

THERESA You do have your mums number -- LOL she taught you well, keep it up, it's hard when she keeps pushing back. I do feel for you. Hopefully the NSDB will not be heard from again !! Have fun playing with the nickels - are they 5" squares? 

ASHLEY I am very glad that covid symptoms have lessened for you, such good news that you have reconnected with your mum, and have a nice little business to help you as well, Keeping busy is part of recovery as well I often think, when you have things to do to keep busy it's a little easier to keep going when you have something to do.

CHERYL sounds like a great idea, good luckk with your projects, I guess like me you will still have lots of fabric LOL

I was busy playing with my fabric from Jane Austen yesterday, I had thought I might get it all cut and be able to sew at least one seam LOL  Not likely, all day cutting at class and I was only 1/4 way through, WOW! it takes a long time to cut these diamonds, I have cut more today, and still not finished, so will take it to Jane class tomorrow and finish - maybe LOL

I spoke to another lady who is coming on the UK trip with us ( she lives in Sydney south and the travel agent gave us contact for her) . We are all going to see the Military Tattoo, and I am going to purchase the group tickets, they will all repay me. It's something we will do outside the tour itself, we can easily book here, no point in paying a travel agent for that. 

The Mr is at bowls he was at physio on Friday, and has vertigo again, he went to physio for his back, but thinks the new bowing style was the cause of that, so he might get the physio to try to fix the vertigo. It's HOT here, but will be even more so tomorrow!! 
Good day to be inside, but he will be playing again in the morning, they brought forward all the games to hopefully beat the heat - men are a law unto themselves LOL Cancelling didn't occur to them !!

Last edited by tricia-anne (2/03/2024 12:38 am)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

2/03/2024 11:24 am  #64

Just a quick Good Morning, have a house full of company!  Tracy and Larissa are  here.  They are leaving shortly to go up North today for a class in making something! Not sure what!!  Well, they just pulled out and are on the way, think they are running a bit late, but whatever!!

Had a nice breakfast, thanks to Tracy.   Jamie and their other daughter will be by later.  Not sure when.  It's only 9:23 here right now.  They will be by eventually!  My mind isn't working too well right now, so will sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

2/03/2024 11:29 am  #65

HUNTING FOR MY HAND-SEWING PATTERNS CAME TO A HALT WHEN MY BACK TWANGED.  I WILL PUT IT ON MY JOURNAL LIST TO CHECK OUT THIS WEEK.  TODAY IS MY SON'S VISITING TIME AND GROCERY PUT AWAYS.  HE WILL GO HOME WITH TATER TOT CASSY AND ITALIAN SANDWICHES.
A NEIGHBOR BROUGHT ME A PLATE OF ROAST BEEF, MASHED TATERS AND VEGS FOR SUPPER LAST NITE BUT I HAD ALREADY EATEN SO WILL KEEP IT FOR LEFTOVERS TODAY.  I IN TURN MENTIONED I HAD MADE MY TOT CASSY BUT SINCE SHE DIDN'T EAT ANY TATERS BUT MASHED I HADN'T OFFERED HER ANY.  SHE TOLD ME SHE LIKED MY TATER TOTS WITH CHEESE SO I GAVE HER A PLATE IN A SUPPER SWAP.  I GUESS SHE'S BACK ON MY LIST FOR TATER TOTS AGAIN.  SHE NEVER TOLD ME SHE LIKED IT BEFORE.  I HAD SHARED ONCE AND SHE TOLD ME ABOUT HER HATE FOR POTATOES EXCEPT MASHED.  I DID NOT KNOW SHE LIKED THE TOTS.
ANYWAY, ITS A NICE DAY WITH SUNSHINE BUT COLD.  I HAVE NOWHERE TO GO SO WILL ENJOY STAYING IN.  I HAVE PLENTY OF LEFTOVERS FOR TODAY SO WILL NOT STARVE.

CHERYL.......I REMEMBER MAKING SEVERAL QUILT TOPS FOR QUILTS WITH LOVE.  ITS A SHAME THEY STOPPED THAT BUT I HAD STOPPED JUST BEFORE SHE TOOK ILL.  I ALSO MADE PREEMIE QUILTS FOR A TEXAS HOSPITAL THRU MY TEXAS QUILT GROUP I HAD JOINED AND ENJOYED.  THEY PUT THE QUILTS OVER THE END OF THE  BABY'S INCUBATOR SO THE PARENTS COULD FIND THEIR LITTLE LOVEBUG AT A GLANCE.  THEN THEY TOOK HOME THE QUILT WITH BABY LATER.  I LOVED MAKING THOSE.

TRISH......I AM GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE ENJOYING CALL THE MIDWIFE.  I ENJOY IT SO I AM WATCHING THE RERUNS THAT ARE NOW SHOWING ON OUR PBS STATION.  ITS HEARTLIFTING MOST OF THE TIME.  
YIKES, I AM SO SORRY I SENT THAT ACHING BACK OVER THE PONDS AND THE PASTURES TO YOU.  IT MEANS TAKING IT EASY MY GIRL.  DON'T OVERDO ANYTHING FOR AWHILE.

I GUESS THAT'S IT FOR NOW.  CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE.  BE SAFE MY FRIENDS.  STAY WARM.  HUGS QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (2/03/2024 11:40 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

2/03/2024 1:31 pm  #66

I'm going to keep this brief.
Brief for me, anyway! 🤪 I was on briefly last night with the intention of getting back on, but when I was struck with an ocular migraine, that ended my screen time for the night. 🙄

Carol! What a gorgeous quilt!! 🤗

San, I'm continuing to send you hugs and prayers! 🙏🏻

Marylou, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas celebration!  I'll be thinking of you! 

Ashley, I'm so happy for you!  How wonderful to feel better,  have reconnected with your mom,  and have a new business opportunity!  Good for you,  and your mom!

Trish, yikes!  I'm sorry about your back!  And the heat! How miserable!

QB,  I hope your back is feeling better! Stay warm!

I'll say bye for now and talk to Mom. ❤️ Sorry I missed commenting on many of you!...Theresa, congrats on selling your mom's place! 🥳

(((hugs!!!))) & prayers!     ~MnM~ aka Diane

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!" 

2/03/2024 1:38 pm  #67

Afternoon y'all! 

Trish yes 5 inches finished.  So cut to 5 1/2.  

QB I guess tater tots are close enough to mashed for her?  

Cheryl I never thought to keep bacon grease much less in a fridge.  Some of my recipes call for bacon grease, in theory you have it because you just cooked the bacon.  I try to do 2 recipes out of a package of bacon, so holding a bit of the grease would work! 

Last night I made 4 more blocks plus 3 from a WIP.  Many years old WIP.  It's made from a friend of mines FIL's clothes.  He passed, someone tried to make a quilt using his clothes and what they cut was all wonky, and unraveling.  Took me a few years to find how to stabilize some of the knit shirts they wanted me to include, plus a couple sweaters!  I'm motivated to get this thing off my plate.  The pattern called for a roll of printed paper that you sewed the fabric on, using the whole roll.  To this day nobody caries it!  So had to make it up as I went along.  So yeah it was a foundation pieced quilt and the foundation did not exist.  It was a new pattern, when I started, you would think the paper foundation would have been somewhere.  The magazine that had the pattern didn't even sell it!  I was too far in to change patterns, I had already cut the fabric as directed, for the foundation paper!  It has been in my sewing room for ages, staring at me telling me to finish it! 

Met Sara this morning at Dunkin', yes Dunkin' not Starbucks.  Then to see my mom, to Target and home.  I'm thinking more fabric play until we leave for church.  I can get a bunch done in 2 hours!  

It has been very therapeutic to make blocks, even if it goes nowhere, as far as finishing, I am doing something I enjoy! 

Nothing else exciting.  Alex just flipped the TV to basketball, my clue to go elsewhere!  I can watch maybe 30 seconds of it, like the last 30 seconds, then I am done for a year or so!  

Later my Friends! 

2/03/2024 4:08 pm  #68

Sandra, I too made quilts for the Children's Hospital NICU.  They used the blankets just as you said, draped over the incubator cribs.  Gabriel (grandson) spent 3 and 1/2  months in the NICU since he was so premature.  He got to keep his blanket and still has it in his room today.  The hospital will only take store bought, in the original packaging, for donations since Covid.  So, I no longer make them for the hospital.  I used to love making special soft, squared flannels for them to wrap the babies.  Gabriel had all sorts of wires attached and could not wear any clothes  but a diaper.  They wrapped them in flannel.

I walked at the park today since it was so warm and sunny.  Got my 3 miles in and now I am going to work on my jigsaw puzzle.

Theresa, I agree with you that making blocks is therapeutic; I have three different sizes I make for fun ( 6.5, 8 and 12 inches)  I keep each size in a large pizza box.  They stack well and don't take a lot of space in my closet.  Years ago Fons and Porter mentioned it as a tip.  I went to my local pizza place and offered to buy a few boxes but they gave them to me and I have used them for years.

2/03/2024 4:23 pm  #69

When Manda and Ben lived in Houston, they got the most delicious filled pastries, fruit or meat. Carol, do you know what they”re called? They used to bring them when they flew up, and we’d all get good bagels when we flew down and take them with us. 

We had pizza for dinner, first time in months. So good! It was a mostly sunny day, in the 40’s. The weather channel said the western mountains were getting feet of snow. 

2/03/2024 6:38 pm  #70

I spent the day with Greg. We went shopping at Costco and to a new place (for me) for lunch serving American country food. It was delicious...best biscuit I've ever had. I have really blown it the last two days. Don't shop at Costco on the weekends! The lines were really backed up.

Trish and Sandra, so sorry about your back pain. Mine got better after I stayed out of the sewing room. I might have a pinched nerve. I get this "something crawling up my back" feeling occasionally that has to be nerve related. I'll get this checked out after the cruise. 

Holly, congratulations on getting another renovation job finished! 

I don't deep fry anything either. Gary bought a big bottle of vegetable oil here to fix fried cauliflower...he loves it! Since the oil was here, I decided to try the donuts. They were just ok...not a Dunkin! Cheryl, I also like to fry my eggs in bacon grease. Sometimes I put a little on my baked cabbage and baked cauliflower. I always keep bacon grease on hand.

D e v o n n e

2/03/2024 7:08 pm  #71

Sandra, I never addressed your reply about the homestead shows. I watch so many of them, but this one was Eddy Family Farm. They are new to farming and he is quick to admit his shortcomings. They are keeping two of Dixie's puppies. She is doing great with 3 legs! She's only 3 years old...another reason I wanted her to live.

I do like Living Traditions because they are both doing low carb meals and she shares a lot of them. Take it easy and let your back heal. Hugs!

D e v o n n e

Board footera