OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/25/2024 1:39 pm  #41

Re: ODT SUNDAY JANUARY 21 ~ SAT JAN 27

I was finally able to get in touch with my sister. Maintenance brought her a new phone. She wants to take books she has finished reading to our oldest sister in Kentucky. It's hard to tell her, "she's been gone almost 10 years." I can't lie to her, but it's sad.

Sandra, that is so sad about your DD's dog, a terrible tragedy.  Hugs! 

Trish, that's what I found out last night. G&E are both allowing it. Now when Gary complains, I'll tell him you have a choice. Before, I was blaming Hannah & Ben. It's not fair and Hannah shouldn't be allowing this to happen. 

It has been raining here...heavy rain since last night, it's on and off, mostly on. 

I need to clean house, maybe I'll get motivated later today. Now I'm going to find a movie to watch. 

Last edited by DownSouth (1/25/2024 1:43 pm)

D e v o n n e

1/25/2024 2:16 pm  #42

Trish, thanks for the pep talk.  And you're so right.  Where I get hung up is the degree of "perfection"  I feel needs to be especially in the kitchen and bathroom.  I'm just not that clean, for us.  So, I can't seem to help but obsess.  HOWEVER...this time, except for those two rooms, I've lowered my standards quite a bit.  As you said, pick up and no one will see the dirt. Of course, the floors had to be swept and the Roomba did that, yesterday.  We desperately need new carpet but until Fancy is gone, that is not going to happen.  Howard  cleaned some spots with carpet cleaner in the can and vacuumed the sun room, this afternoon, after his hearing aid appt. this morning.  So, a bit more straightening and we'll be ready.  And, despite all my yapping about this, when they finally get here, I enjoy having them.  AND, I REALLY ENJOY THE NEXT DAY AND THE FREEDOM!  (Yelling with joy!) 

Oh QB, I'm so sorry about Wrangler.  So heartbreaking for all of you.    

Devonne, I've found that as mother's, no matter the age or stage of our  children,  our first response is to THEIR  needs.  It's just so automatic.  Built in and unchangeable.  So don't beat yourself up for responding  to Gary the way you did and telling us.   Even if we keep it all to ourselves, we still have that immediate reaction, sorta like when they were little. 

Carol, ditto on everything you've said.  I'm leery of  sending  anything in the mail and with the app Howard has, when he tells me something is in Chicago waiting to be delivered out here and then it gets sent to  Columbia, SC, then back thru Memphis, to several Chicago suburbs and is again in Chicago  you do wonder who is in charge?   Enjoy all the perks you listed for January weather!   

Well, I've eaten lunch while here and need to bake my chicken breasts.  I'm having a Mexican soup with chicken.  Normally, I would just cook them in some broth, but I remember a friend who made a dish that used already cooked chicken breasts and she seasoned them, wrapped them individually in foil and baked them.  Going to try that for more flavor.
Indy

Last edited by tricia-anne (1/25/2024 9:18 pm)

1/25/2024 8:48 pm  #43

I did my taxes tonight. I haven't filed State in the last few years, only Federal. Hope that doesn't come back and bite me in the b----. I never owe anything. I don't even know if I need to file at all. According to what I've read, my income qualifies me to file. 

Judy, you described it perfectly, thanks! I've noticed in the last year, I've slowed down more and can't do house cleaning as fast (nor as good). I'm taking one section at a time in a given area, then I move to the next area. I've always cleaned my kitchen this way. Now I'm doing it for the entire house. Maybe this will help you? When I need a break, I take it. I'm not pleasing anyone anymore, only me here. If I need to quit for the day, I quit. I still haven't put up all the Christmas stuff...it's on the beds in the "guest" rooms. I'm working on it, lol. 

Today I vacuumed the closet that had Allie's litter box. It still smells in that room. I've vacuumed the carpet, Gary took down the bed and I shampooed the entire room. I'll shampoo the closet tomorrow & I can start putting Christmas up. My niece suggested I try Febreeze?

D e v o n n e

1/25/2024 9:01 pm  #44

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

1/25/2024 9:17 pm  #45

I posted the pic of my temperature quilt above, sorry it's small, must have resized it wrong!

It's all very much the same so far, the first days of each week are identical LOL the squares are cut 1 1/2", pressing could be better LOL

So hot here today, the Mr is out playing bowls, they SHOULD be inside, the committee should have called them in, it's above safe playing temps. 

INDY have  a good time with your group, it's lovely to have friends over (((hugs))) I need to do some picking up around here, I have been really slack. I DID make jelly for John (jello?) I think he'll come over tomorrow for dinner, and I'll make a cherry cobbler if he does, he loves that. 

SANDRA how dreadful, poor things they will be distraught, I am so sorry (((( hugs)))) we love our fur babies dearly. I hope you can find something fun to get your mind off it today. I found the Poirot Mysteries on Britbox (David Suchet) so I've been watching them. I also have seen a couple episodes of Call The Midwife?? is that it? the british midwives one. But the one I saw had me in tears. Not sure I am up for too much of it!

DEVONNE maybe try some baking soda sprinkled around, you can even dampen it a bit, it removes lots of odour, I suspect it's gone to the underlay, if that's it you can't get rid of it.  Sad your sis can't remember, and it's harder on you to pretend, but that is how it is (((( hugs)))) Good idea to just state the  facts just like that to G & E, no judgement, and then it's their call if they want to continue the conversation. 

I have been pottering about, the bins were emptied this morning, it's a public holiday, but the collection still comes. I bought large bin bags for the big "wheelie" bin, sick of all the grass clippings sticking to the sides, just washed it out and hopefully the bin bag will be OK.

I ordered a quilt kit from Amazon, we are going to the Jane Austen house in July, the kit came up in an email from an Australian shop, I went googling, THAT was a mistake, I found the same kit cheaper on Amazon, suspect it's not got the template the other has, but some of the girls already have that. So the damage is done - it will be here by 6th Feb all being well, It's coming from US so hope the postage doesn't affect me LOL It's not like I have nothing else to do. 

Hopefully the cool change will be in by tonight, I dislike this intensely. 

Last edited by tricia-anne (1/25/2024 9:19 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

1/26/2024 10:21 am  #46

I FORGOT TO ANSWER SOMEONE ABOUT MY GARDENING.  IT FLEW OUT OF MY HEAD BUT IT CAME BACK.  ANYWAY, FOR WHOEVER MENTIONED I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE KEPT MY GARDEN PLOT..........I THOUGHT ABOUT IT LONG AND HARD.  EVEN LAST SUMMER WHEN I WAS ONLY DOING THE TOMATOES AFTER HAVING LET THE OTHER STUFF GO, IT WAS TOUGH FOR ME.  THE WEEDS ARE THE WORST EVEN WITH THE LAYER OF STRAW I HAD.  SO YES, I THINK I MADE THE RIGHT DECISION.  I WAS STRUGGLING TO KEEP MY GARDEN DECENT LOOKING.  LOVED ALL THE TOMATOES THOUGH.  FROZE SEVERAL BAGGIES.  WILL MISS THOSE BUT WE HAVE FARMER'S MARKETS AROUND HERE. 
I AM ALSO THINKING OF MAYBE TRYING SOME RADISHES AND GREENS ON THE WINDOWSILL THIS YEAR.  I HAVE SEEDS FOR BOTH.  I CAN ALWAYS GET CONTAINERS AND SOIL FOR A TINY GARDEN CORNER INDOORS.  THAT MAY BE SOMETHING I CAN HANDLE.  THE CONTAINERS CAN BE ALUMINUM BAKING PANS, THE DEEP ONES FOR TURKEY.  ONE WITH HOLES IN IT FOR DRAINAGE TUCKED INTO ONE OUTSIDE IT WITHOUT HOLES.  SOUNDS GOOD ON PAPER.  I'LL THINK ON IT.

TRISH.......I AM GLAD YOU FOUND POIROT.  I LOVE HIS SHOWS.  DAVID SUCHET'S GRANDFATHER FLED THE RUSSIANS FROM LITHUANIA EONS AGO TO SETTLE IN ENGLAND SO HE'S GOT SOME LITHUANIAN BLOOD IN HIM.  ME, I AM 100% LITHUANIAN. 
WE GET HIS HOUR-LONG MYSTERIES HERE ON OUR 2 PBS STATIONS.  I NEVER MISS THEM EVEN THOUGH I HAVE SEEN THEM BEFORE.
AS FOR CALL THE MIDWIFE......YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY IT AGAIN.  THEY HAVE SOME VERY UPLIFTING SHOWS AND THE STORY CAN GET SAD NOW AND THEN, BUT THE UPBEAT ONES OUTSHINE THE OTHERS.  THEY COVER THE MEDICAL PROBS OF THE DAY LIKE MEDS THAT DID DAMAGE TO UNBORN CHILDREN AND RADIATION POISONING.  I HATE SAD STORIES, BUT REALLY ENJOY THIS PROGRAM SO IT CAN'T BE ALL BAD.  I'VE WATCHED IT FROM ITS INCEPTION WHEN THE DR'S WIFE WAS STILL A NUN AND HOW THEIR LOVE STORY EMERGED AND HOW IT WAS DEALT WITH YEARS AGO.  ANYWAY, THAT'S MY TWO CENTS WORTH.  I ADMIT TO SOME TEARS THRU SOME OF THEM, ESPECIALLY WHEN DEALING WITH THE CHILDREN.
GOSH, I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU DEAL WITH ALL THAT HEAT.  IT MELTS ME WHEN ITS HOT.  I THINK YOUR HUBBY NEEDS TO THINK ABOUT HIMSELF MORE OFTEN AND PLAY LESS OFTEN AT BOWLS.  I'M SURE YOU HAVE ADDRESSES THAT WITH HIM ALREADY SO WHAT CAN YOU DO.

ITS BEEN A FROSTY NITE HERE.  THE TREES WERE A GLARE OF ICE FROM THE SLEET LAST NITE BUT THE EAVES ARE DRIPPING NOW WITH TEMPS IN THE 30S SO ITS MELTING FAST.

I HAVE GROUND BEEF DEFROSTED AND WAS THINKING OF MAYBE MAKING A MEATBALL CASSEROLE INSTEAD OF MY USUAL MEATBALLS AND SPAGHETTI.  I THINK I CAN CONCOCT SOMETHING EDIBLE WITH THE INGREDIENTS I HAVE ON HAND.  I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I MANAGE IT AND MAKE MYSELF A NEW RECIPE.

THAT'S ABOUT IT FROM MY CORNER OF THE WORLD.  TAKE CARE MY FRIENDS.  STAY SAFE.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (1/26/2024 10:41 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

1/26/2024 10:34 am  #47

Another rainy dreary day, but better than snow.
Sandra, at first read I wondered what a dog wrangler was, then I realized. I’m so sad for them. 

Devonne, I think every parent questions some of their kids parenting, I sure do. But nothing I can do from 3000 miles away! So I just keep my mouth shut to them, and vent to friends! 

I started back on the exercise bike. 10 minutes yesterday, 11 today. I have Alexa play music, and I have to kindle attached to a clip so I can read, and it’s tolerable. 

Our local luncheonette has a new sandwich for breakfast. Scrambled egg, bacon and cheese on a waffle, with a side of syrup to dip. It’s really good, so I decided to make our own for breakfast. Of course their waffles were freshly made, and I used Eggo’s, but it was still really good. We each had one waffle, so half a sandwich. A nice change from the Greek yogurt that I usually have. 

1/26/2024 10:45 am  #48

Good Morning, I'm not feeling too sharp this morning, so will be brief!  It is breezy outside, but 47*, hard to believe it stays so warm but Feb. is coming, so may see some changes then.  I really don't have anything else to say, so will sign off, wishing you all well, Love, BJ.

1/26/2024 5:30 pm  #49

Trish, I had not thought about baking soda. I haven't put the stuff in the closet yet...waiting until the carpet was completely dry. Glad I haven't yet. 

I got busy going to Walmart, buying groceries & decided to make a baked spaghetti dish for Emily to take to her parents. I had to sample it and it turned out great. No one likes ricotta or cottage cheese, so I got a tip from YT and used sour cream mixed with Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs gournay cheese. I only used half of the 5 oz. pkg. and it was plenty. It really gives the sour cream a good herb taste. I've seen ths stuff used so much on YT, but this is the first time I've bought it. I'm making another one for Sunday for me, Greg and Carter. 

Last edited by DownSouth (1/26/2024 5:34 pm)

D e v o n n e

1/26/2024 5:53 pm  #50

Hope San will check in soon. I've been thinking of her. 

Hope Theresa's closing went well today! So happy for her & Todd.

Holly, I love Eggos but I won't buy them again after buying this mini double waffle maker. I've had it for two weeks. It's made by SugarWhisk (from Amazon), $26.99. The first ones I made I opened the lid too soon, but have learned not to do that. I thought it was a little pricey, but will save money in the end. I used the Birch Blenders pancake mix, but you can use regular mix. Sometimes I make enough for a few days, but they are better made the same day.

D e v o n n e

1/27/2024 6:24 am  #51

You girls got me wanting fresh waffles.  I had a Belgian waffle maker years ago.  I think I may get a new one?  🤔

1/27/2024 10:24 am  #52

Good Morning, just finished my shower, hair is still wet.  It is raining outside again.   Believe it is supposed to rain all week.  Wind is blowing slightly.  It is 50*.  Hard to believe it's winter??

Tracy had some sort of event last evening, so is coming this evening instead.  Believe they have Monday off from school.  So will be really nice to have her here.  She won't get much done outside as it's so rainy.  Of course, that might not stop her; she doesn't seem to mind the rain.  Well, I have nothing more to say, so will sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

1/27/2024 10:55 am  #53

ITS A GRAY DAY HERE TODAY.  NOT MUCH HAPPENING ANYWAY SO ITS OK.
I MADE THE MEATBALL CASSEROLE YESTERDAY AND THOUGH IT WAS APPROVED BY MY NEIGHBORS, I AM NOT PLEASED WITH IT.  FOR ONE THING ITS TOO DRY.  YES, I KNOW I COULD ADD MORE SAUCE TO ADJUST THAT PROBLEM.  THE OTHER IS I AM NOT CRAZY ABOUT MACARONI.  I LOVE SPAGHETTI PASTA AND ELBOWS AND SHELLS ARE PERFECT FOR MEATY SAUCES BECAUSE THEY CATCH THE MEAT IN THEIR CURVES, AND THEY TASTE BETTER FOR SOME REASON.  ANYWAY THEY DO TO ME.
I KNOW THERE ARE SPAGHETTI CASSEOLES OUT THERE, LIKE DEVONNE MAKES, SO I WILL TRY ONE OF THOSE NEXT TIME I WANT ITALIAN.  THE PASTA WILL MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE FOR ME.

NOTHING MUCH HAPPENING HERE.  I AM A BIT OFF BALANCE TODAY SO WILL BE DOING VERY LITTLE.  I PLAN TO MAKE UP SOME TUNA SALAD AND ALSO SORT MY PILLS FOR THE COMING WEEK.  OTHER THAN THAT, IT WILL BE SITTING ON MY SOFA WATCHING TV FOR THE MOST PART TODAY.
WISHING YOU ALL A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (1/27/2024 10:57 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

1/27/2024 12:22 pm  #54

It's raining here. It's not gray though, it's rather bright. I put out bird food last night and have one more bag left. 

Sandra, this guy used petite tomatoes, tomato sauce & tomato paste but most of the recipes do use pasta sauce. I added a onion, green pepper, salt & pepper and minced garlic to the ground beef & Italian sausage mixture. I used Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and red crushed pepper flakes. I added the cooked spaghetti a little at a time to make sure it wasn't too dry (since I was making it for other people, lol) 

I'm glad I didn't put up my white Christmas trees. Emily is having a special birthday party for her best friend up at my clubhouse. I reserved it for her & she wanted to use my trees. She & her friend's husband are doing a winter theme. 

D e v o n n e

1/27/2024 3:09 pm  #55

Well, now we know.  

Remember I said that a quilt I mailed was stuck in the Houston distribution center?  Mountains of packages -- wedding dresses, medications, holiday gifts -- all stuck in the processing warehouse.  Guess what happened?  We were told that they were "switching to a new system, and there were some issues."  Well, the issues are that they moved out the old parcel sorting machinery to make room for the new machine.  Slight problem.  No one measured, and the new machine doesn't fit in the building!  Remember the phrase "close enough for government work"?  It really applies here.  

Sigh................

It's gray and windy, but no rain today.  We've had over 6" this week.  Some areas got 14" and are flooded.  It's only January.  This is not looking to be a great year yet. 

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

1/27/2024 4:10 pm  #56

I'm dragging today, but the get-together went well yesterday.   They loved the soup, they did the last time I made it, too.  It's embarrassingly simple, just open cans and dump.  ML  came at 9 and we worked together to finish up.  I felt rotten and wasn't much help but perked up around noon which is usually how I am and feel.  Howard forgot all about ice so she ran to the gas station for a bag.    Now, IF we just sit on our hands, the house would stay clean and neat.  We ARE the ones who mess it up and mostly, me!  I promise next time it's our turn, I will only mention it, here.  You won't get the tiresome tirade that I always foist on you.  PROMISE!    Am doing little today.  Really tired, but a good tired.  Reading, resting and rejoicing!  

You're welcome, Devonne.  Just my personal observance.  IF you use Fabreeze, be sure you can stand the smell of it.  Some people can't abide it.  Guess I'd start with the baking soda.  I never think of it either.

QB, it was me 'opining'  about your garden.  That might be fun to try the indoor planting.  But what about sun.  Do you have a sunny window?  Every time I've tried any sort of container gardening, it's been a flop.  Probably because I don't know what I'm doing.  You, on the other hand, are a seasoned gardener with lots of success.  May I ask, what is macaroni that isn't elbows? 

Trish, is the Jane Austen kit a copy of her famous and only quilt?  It is beautiful from the pics I've seen.  Will you make it before you go?  Your temperature quilt will be a pretty quilt, simple yet with a story.   Hope Warwick is okay.  Seems like men think they can take heat better than we can.  Maybe peer pressure plays into his decision.  It's a worry.   I also really like Call the Midwife.  Wish I'd started watching it early on, like QB.  They never seem to rerun the early episodes of it.    However, I most always tear up when a baby is born.  Might be the music.  I read that they have an original score written especially for that program and that sequence is usually played at that moment.   This program and All Creatures are two of my most faves.

The mail just brought our new credit cards.  Last week, for the 4th time in less than a year, we got hacked and the cards were canceled.  It's getting very old!  Various places  where we would never buy anything have been charged on them, even restaurants in other parts of the country.  How in the world do you stop this from happening?  Thank goodness for the credit union's "watch dogs".  I despise the whole credit card economy we live with and by, now.  Half of my comments start with "if only"...well not half, but many!  

I'd better close this.  Have to figure out which leftover to feed Howard for supper.  He, who can be a horse's patoot was most helpful and agreeable the last few days.  For that I am thankful.  Am also thankful for  ALL my blessings and for all of you, here, my special friends.  
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (1/27/2024 4:11 pm)

Board footera