OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/23/2024 12:44 pm  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY JANUARY 21 ~ SAT JAN 27

Just got back from Walmart. It was a bad battery, so maybe my starter is good. Also got my oil changed since it's almost due and bought a few groceries. $200 poorer now but it's done, lol! 

Trish, so glad to see the roofer is there! I agree with you about the yogurt. Most of it has way too much sugar. I'm not a Greek yogurt fan.

BJ, I hope you are doing well too! Hugs! 

I stopped at Wendys and got an apple pecan salad. Off to enjoy it!

ETA: Cheryl, do you make the cabbage, onion and kielbasa sauage meal? Sometimes I use beef franks cut at an angle. It's really popular here.  Does he like tuna casserole?

Last edited by DownSouth (1/23/2024 12:47 pm)

D e v o n n e

1/23/2024 2:43 pm  #22

Afternoon y'all! 

DS I forgot about Piedmont!  It did not move my way, we got Northside and Emory!  A couple Piedmont doc in a box, but that's all we have that's Piedmont!  

Trish, I use the yogurt mostly as a meal, sometime with a salad, but as I said it's more of a "I don't have time to make myself something" or "it's too hot to even eat a sandwich".  I like the coconut Greek yogurt, it's one of my favorites!  

QB try to keep warm! And keep the snow your way! 

Everyone else stay warm!  It's cold and rainy here.  Bone chilling cold!  44* with a wind chill of 41*.  I'm ready for spring! 

Went early to see mom.  I had a lunch date with a friend.  She's in the same parent boat I'm in.  So we have decided to meet monthly and commiserate!  It helps since we vent to each other and not our spouses.  Neither of our parents had a plan for when they got older.  SS was supposed to take care of them, so no savings or any such thing!  So this has been a process for both of us, plus we share information that helps each other!  Today I shared the VA information with her!  She was unaware that her parents could get help through the VA.  Her dad is already in the VA system, so that is a big step behind her! 

Mom was in a good mood, even told me to enjoy my lunch with my Friend.  So a good day!  

After lunch I went to the park and walked some.  Not my complete walk but, I should complete my 10K in steps by tonight.  I did not want to have to walk the evening route multiple times this evening to get my steps in.  I would rather do it in the daylight at the park.  Most of the usuals were gone, One person I walk with was still there, he walked with me a tad then left.  I did a good bit of my normal route, but needed to get home to finish my CEU's. 

Had a crisis with the repairs in Columbia.  The person I hired had Covid as well as some of his workers, so the work that was supposed to be finished by today will not be completed until tomorrow.  My realtor was having a cow over this, I'm like what can I do?  I asked for one days extension, and she said it will likely be no problem.  

So crisis averted and on to the next thing!  I want this to be done and over with.  Each day scares me that something else will happen there that I have to fix.  We are so close, I don't need any more problems!  

Off to do my CEU stuff!  I should finish today!  Such fun!  Not! 

Later my Friends! 

1/23/2024 5:33 pm  #23

I forgot to tell you this quick story from retreat.
   One of the old ladies kept telling everyone I was her daughter. Lol.  It only lasted one of the 4 days.  The rest of the time she didn’t.  “Old timers disease” as one of the other ladies explained it.

1/24/2024 2:20 am  #24

Janet, I hope this elderly woman didn't drive herself there, lol. 

Theresa, most of the changes here are Piedmont. Only one is Emory affiliated. This is what was left over from what Tanner Medical Center didn't gobble up, lol. Why do the CEU if you're not going back to work in that field?

Hannah decided to stay in school. Never asked dad if he was ok watching the kids 7 hrs every day. He picks both of them up every day from school (different schools.) She was getting home every day at 4:30, which was perfect. I told him to tell her how he feels, but he doesn't like to "rock the boat." Well, then you're stuck in this boat if you don't make some waves, lol! 

I like one more side of being finished with Carter's quilt. I did bias binding and I'm hand sewing it on. The "Chenille It" I like to use has really gone up in price. I already had this fabric. Hand sewing is not for me. I'm really slow at it. I haven't done a bias binding in 10 years and had to watch a video on how to miter the corners and attach it where the ends meet. 

Guess I will head to bed...it's almost 3:30 am! Sandra, are you still up to, lol? 

D e v o n n e

1/24/2024 10:56 am  #25

=19.5pxGood Morning to everyone.  It is pouring down rain here and 46*.  Strange weather for this part of the country.  Have no plans for the day.  Will likely just be lazy and do nothing.  Certainly hope everyone is doing well.  Seems so strange to be so warm and wet, no snow (love it)!!

I don't have anything to say, so will sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

1/24/2024 11:11 am  #26

STRANGE WEATHER TODAY FOR US TOO.  IT SNOWED A BIT.  ABOUT 2 INCHES, THEN STOPPED.  WILL SNOW AGAIN LATER WITH ICY RAIN EXPECTED TOO.  WARNINGS OUT FOR UNSAFE DRIVING ON THE ROADS WITH THE ICY RAIN LATER.  I AM STAYING INDOORS.  AT TIMES LIKE THIS I AM HAPPY NOT TO OWN A CAR OF MY OWN.

I MADE MYSELF SOME CHILI LAST NIGHT AND HAD IT WITH CHOCOLATE MILK.  I LIKE TO HAVE THE MILK TO TONE DOWN ANY HEAT IN THE CHILI THOUGH THIS TIME IT WAS NOT TOO HOT AT ALL. 
I LOVE PLAYING SOLITAIRE ON MY PHONE SINCE ITS SO EASY TO MANEUVER, BUT IT BURNS THE BATTERY TOO FAST AND I HAVE TO RECHARGE IT MORE OFTEN. RIGHT NOW I AM RECHARGING IN CASE OF POWER OUTAGE.
I WAS GOING TO DEFROST SOME MEAT BUT AGAIN, IN CASE OF POWER OUTAGE LATER, WILL NOT DO SO.  I'D RATHER HAVE THE MEAT BE IN THE FREEZER FOR SAFETY.  I HAVE ENOUGH FOOD AROUND TO EAT IN THE MEANTIME SO NO BIG PROBLEM AND PROBABLY BETTER FOR ME.
I GAINED ANOTHER 2 LBS AND REALLY, REALLY NEED TO DOWNSIZE MY MEALS.  OR RATHER MY SNACKS.  I HAVE NO WILL POWER. NONE AT ALL.

DEVONNE........YOUR GRANDAUGHTER LIKES SCHOOL IT SEEMS.  SHE ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE A PROFESSIONAL STUDENT.  THEY LIKE TO STAY IN SCHOOL SO THEY DO NOT HAVE TO FACE REAL LIFE AROUND THEM.  TRYING TO TAKE THE EASY WAY OUT IN LIFE.
SORRY YOUR SON HAD TO TAKE THE BRUNT OF HER CHOICES WITH THE KIDS.  HE DOES NOT NEED THAT RIGHT NOW.
SINCE SHE NEVER TALKS TO YOU ANYWAY, MAYBE YOU COULD PUT A FLEA IN HER EAR AND TELL HER TO KNOCK IT OFF AND GIVE HER FATHER SOME REST.  OR MAYBE YOU DO NOT WANT TO ROCK THE BOAT.  SORRY, I WILL KEEP MY IDEAS TO MYSELF.  I DO NOT KNOW THE WHOLE SITUATION.

LINDA......I HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY.  I KNOW THERE ARE ALWAYS APPOINTMENTS FOR YOU AND MEDICAL ISSUES TO RESOLVE.  JUST TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.  YOU ARE NUMBER ONE.

I GUESS I'D BETTER GO CHECK ON MY YOUTUBE CHANNELS.  ITS MY WAY TO GET MY HOMESTEADING 'FIX' FOR THE DAY.  AH, IF ONLY I WERE YOUNG AGAIN AND HAD MY OWN LITTLE HOMESTEAD.  I WOULD BE IN MY OWN LITTLE HEAVEN.   TO TELL THE TRUTH, I AM SORT OF SORRY TO HAVE GIVEN UP MY GARDEN SPACE.  I KNOW ITS HARDER FOR ME TO WORK IT, BUT I WILL MISS IT DREADFULLY.  

THAT'S IT LADIES.  MY DAY WILL BE QUIET PRETTY MUCH.  I DID SOME CHORES YESTERDAY AND THE HOUSE IS NOT A COMPLETE MESS ANYMORE.  GIVES ONE HOPE.
HUGS FOR ALL.  QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (1/24/2024 11:27 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

1/24/2024 11:58 am  #27

Devonne- actually she did drive herself to retreat…2 1/2 hrs!

1/24/2024 2:49 pm  #28

Warmer here, in the 40’s so the snow is melting. We just got back from the library and grocery store. It’s been 4 weeks for the grocery store, so the extras of things I keep around had been used. 

Trish, the steps are inside steps. Because he’s changing them, there’s an issue with headroom at the bottom, and some wiring has to be moved. The electrician is coming tomorrow. 

Devonne, from what you’ve said over the years, Hannah sounds like an unpleasant person to be around. You were right in what you said to your son. Have you thought about machine stitching your binding? As my friend Barbara says, This ain’t Paducah!

1/24/2024 3:09 pm  #29

Afternoon y'all! 

DS The Nursing board said do them or face the attorney General.  I have no time to iron out that wrinkle.  I did them and will not renew next time at all.  I renewed as inactive, but the board is just a thorn in my side!  

Janet she drove herself! 

QB I would miss my garden if I didn't have it, so I understand.  Ours will get more sun this year, so we will give it one more try.  All the trees we had cut added sun to that area!  Plus Todd is pruning some trees so it will get more light from a different direction.  Hopefully it will help! 

It's damp and miserable here, so I'm making cookies!  I did go see mom, walked the park in off and on drizzle, home, and started the cookie making process.  The dough has to set in the fridge for and hour, that's where we're at.  I also started laundry.  This evening I will get out luggage because we're going to Mom's house tomorrow to finish the packing and see the repairs.  Friday we close. 

Somewhere in there I will get my brothers stuff to him, I'm going to go through his girlfriend, she works close to mom's house.  He will respond to her texts/calls, and she responds to me.  I'm dreading this part, but it is now too late for him to do anything.  Plus he doesn't have money for an attorney. 

The last thing to do is to close on the lake property.  They keep delaying closing.  One more and I will put it back on the market!  I'm ready to stop driving to Columbia.  I will need to get a hotel for the closing, depending on the time of day they have it, and my confidence of getting out of Atlanta in time to get to the closing.  I would rather get there the night before, check out as late as I need to and drive home afterward.  Mom may treat all of us to some fun meal, I don't have to cook, for doing all of this! 

This morning we had the damp cold.  It has warmed up some this afternoon.  But still damp.  It has been a misty rain or drizzle all day.  With incessant flood warnings!  

Nothing else exciting!  I won't check in again until after the closing.  No internet at the house.  I already told the realtor, anything I need to get done electronically has to be done today!  

Later my Friends!  Stay warm and dry, Trish stay cool!   

1/24/2024 3:43 pm  #30

Hi!  "Heat wave, here.  In the 30s.  Icy and not melting quickly though, due to the ground being so cold and frozen.  The Roomba is cleaning the floors.  I'm continuing to pick up and put away...my endless occupation.  Small group is  finely coming Friday.  

QB, at the time, I was hoping you'd keep your garden spot if only for a few tomatoes plants. I was afraid you'd regret it.   But I kept my nose to myself.  Is there any chance you could get it back?  I remember that you gave away most of your gardening, equipment, though...

The child-raising issues are a bit of a trigger with me.  I was able to stay home and take care of my own, until my ex divorced me and I had to go to work with no family to help.   Mom lived 90 miles away and I have no siblings.  ML was 13 and Danny was 4, so I had a built-in sitter, sometimes, but their school hours were different.  I paid neighbors to take care of him before he started school, but for a short time, at age 7, he had to be a latch key kid and come home alone to a home in a  rural setting. (ML got home an hour later and Howard and I were married when Danny was 8 and I again didn't work.)   During that time, one day, he came home to find the door glass broken and the door unlocked,  the dog put into the basement and the house ransacked.  He called me at work, an architectural business with wonderful bosses, and they told me to go home immediately.  Thankfully, I guess, Danny was young enough, he didn't get the full impact of it all and little was missing, so I always thought it was teens, since someone had to drive  there.  I didn't even report it.  Not sure now why I didn't?  I guess the trigger part comes in when I find it amazing that young parents often assume that others in the family will take of what's their responsibility without even asking them if they can or want to.    Holly, I remember you and Ralph worked opposite shifts to be able to care for your girls, yourselves. 

Going to go and make a meatloaf.  Put it off yesterday until there was too little time for it to bake.  Have a good evening and Sweet Dreams.
Indy  

Last edited by indyanny (1/24/2024 4:17 pm)

1/24/2024 4:13 pm  #31

Theresa- I know, right? I just sent Sandra a picture of the quilt the lady I mentioned earlier was working on. It’s amazing. The bocks are only 3”

Last edited by tricia-anne (1/24/2024 11:57 pm)

1/24/2024 5:16 pm  #32

Hey there.

Can we get to November 6th, 2024 right now?  I'm so dreading the next 10+ months.  The election stuff never ends, and we're already flooding in Houston.  If someone has some arks lying around, please send them.  If we're already flooding in January, I really don't want to think about what's next.

Have I ever told you that we have Third World mail service?  Well, it's confirmed.  It seems that the US Congress is going to open an investigation into what's going on here.  I mailed a quilt on January 17th.  It's still sitting in the distribution center along with thousands of letters and cards, hundreds of medications (yay for having to use mail order for prescriptions, right?), packages, you name it.  No one has an explanation.  

I hope everyone is staying warm and dry.  It's definitely hot tea and cocoa, soup and stew, and stay indoors with a good book and a quilt weather.  Trish, I am posting a picture of a temperature quilt for you.  It was in the Houston quilt show.  It says "Kingwood, Texas" which is a subdivision on the north side of Houston.  I love the wavy quilting.  I couldn't find a docent to turn the quilt so that I could take a picture of the back. 

Last edited by Needlecrazy (1/24/2024 5:21 pm)

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

1/24/2024 6:27 pm  #33

HERE'S THE PHOTO JANET SENT ME......

THE BLOCKS ARE ONLY 3 INCHES SQUARE SO VERY TINY.  ITS BY THE LADY THAT CALLED JANET HER DAUGHTER.

1/24/2024 8:36 pm  #34

Thanks Sandra!

Last edited by tricia-anne (1/24/2024 11:56 pm)

1/24/2024 8:39 pm  #35

I got a lot more insight today and see why things are as they are.

First picture, Caleb crying thinking Gary isn't coming home tonight.

Caleb very happy in the 2nd picture when Gary does get home.

Gary said he was going to spend the night with Emily (she's at her mom and dad's house...they both just had surgery). Gary only went home to feed the dogs, but he gave in to Caleb crying and stayed. Gary knows he is welcome here when he gets overwhelmed. I think that's part of the reason he has been staying longer. I will be a little old happy widow, sit here & sip my coffee, and keep future comments to myself, lol!  

Holly, I thought about machine stitching it, but the stitching never seems to stay on the actual binding...it's on and off.  I guess that wouldn't matter for a child's quilt. I finished it today!

Theresa, have a safe trip to Columbia and good luck with the closing. Hope there are no problems and it all goes well! 

Carol, I also love the wave quilting on this quilt. The colors are beautiful as well. Election year is when you go to You Tube and watch homesteading videos, lol! 

Those tiny 3" squares, I would never attempt! Look at how well pressed they are. 

Sandra, that is a good reason why she may continue to stay in school. She is very withdrawn and reserved. Who knows for sure? She will be 29 in July and should have graduated a long time ago. 

Last edited by DownSouth (1/24/2024 9:23 pm)

D e v o n n e

1/24/2024 11:52 pm  #36

CAROL thank you, I love seeing other designs, I'll get my behind into gear and take a pic of mine so far. It's pretty boring, January temps are pretty constant. Mine will be in the style of a calendar, each month separated by a border, probably 3 across and 4 down, that part is undecided LOL

DEVONNE that is so not fair to your son, I guess she feels that he isn't working so he can do it, she really isn't thinking about his health though, BUT and it's a big but, they must be allowing her to do it, so my advice would be to stay out of it LOL They are all well and truly old enough to make these decisions for themselves.

SANDRA I know you must miss your garden, I would too. I don't do a lot of gardening, mostly mine is plant and forget them, prune the roses, trim the bushes etc, I don't do annuals. Hope the storms don't eventuate ((((hugs))))

BJ keep warm. I know you have plenty of company, just be careful in the wet, when you go outside sending love to you all!

INDY getting ready for company is a pain, THEN they are gone and in no time you are back to square one, so don't get too hung up on it. I agree about the babysitting, I did my own, or friends and neighbours stepped in and we helped each other, my mum worked, and then she died suddenly. I cherish the time I can spend with the boys, BUT it's on my time, and was never expected. 
Actually they were here today, the cleaners were at their house, so I made a berry cobbler, they had to leave, so took it home for later. I'm sure they didn't leave any for their mother or father. LOL

THERESA fingers (and toes ) crossed for you!! Hoping it all goes well, I'll be thinking of you.

Went to training this morning, it was incredibly hot, still hot now, but it's the humidity that is the real pain. 
I had sausages cooked last night, so we'll have them with salad and maybe a baked potato.

I don't know whether I told you, the friend of the Mr who he saw most weeks for coffee was found dead last week, he couldn't take Bob on Thursday for coffee as he had to take me to the eye appt. Ben (Bob's son) couldn't raise him, so he went there and found him, he'd had a fall the week before, and checked himself out of hospital, suspect it's that, he told W that he had a brain bleed. Poor fellow - he was struggling with anxiety, he didn't/couldn't do anything, and stressed all the time, he was thoroughly miserable, so it's a blessing. NOW the Mr's family are all -" I want us to get together to remember him, why is there no funeral," etc. one brother "I didn't know"  -- their sister couldn't get to the phone fast enough to spread the word. She knew, they all did, but couldn't be bothered ringing him to just chat for one to two minutes. Honestly, why do they care now, he's dead. and he doesn't care if they have a drink for him. Weird!! They wanted W to organise that as well. The family knew him from primary school days.

Last edited by tricia-anne (1/24/2024 11:56 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

1/24/2024 11:58 pm  #37

JANET that is a pretty pic, very small blocks, maybe she was trying to have a joke with the daughter thing? 

THERESA good luck with your brother, just don't answer the phone from him, you'll be fine!

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

1/25/2024 6:18 am  #38

Trish- maybe?
Sorry about W’s friend.

1/25/2024 9:40 am  #39

WE GOT THAT ICY RAIN AND IT ICED OVER THE ROADS PRETTY MUCH.  OUR PARKING LOT WAS A GLARE THIS MORNING.  LUCKY US THE TEMPS ROSE TO THE MID-30S SO ITS NOW JUST ABOUT GONE, THE ICE.  I'M HAPPY FOR ALL THE DRIVERS OUT THERE.

ITS SUNNY AND BRIGHT TODAY.  LOVING IT.

SAD NEWS FOR ME THIS MORNING.  MY DAU'S DOG WRANGLER WAS HIT BY A TRAIN EARLY LAST NITE ON HIS EARLY EVENING ROMP.  THEY HAVE TRAIN TRACKS IN THEIR NEIGHBORHOOD USED RARELY BUT NOW AND THEN A TRAIN PASSES THROUGH.   I DID NOT ASK ANY QUESTIONS BECAUSE I'M SURE WHOEVER TOOK THE 2 DOGS FOR THEIR LAST RUN OF THE DAY IS BEATING THEMSELF UP OVER HIS DEATH.  ALL I KNOW IS HE WAS HAVING AGREAT TIME AND DIDN'T KNOW A THING SO HE DIED ENJOYING HIMSELF.  
I WILL MISS HIM.  HE ALWAYS CAME ALONG ON MY DR APPTS SITTING IN THE BACK SEAT OF THE CAR.  I SAT IN THE FRONT.  HE WOULD HANG HIS HEAD OVER THE FRONT SEAT AND LAY IT ON MY SHOULDER FOR HIS LOVING ALL THE TIME.  SUCH A BIG SWEETIE.  LOOKED LIKE A NEWFOUNDLAND BUT HAD LOTS OF BLACK LAB IN HIM.  I CRIED AND COULD NOT GO BACK TO SLEEP WHEN I GOT THE NEWS EARLY THIS MORNING.  I NEEDED TO GET ACTIVE TO STOP FROM THINKING OF HIM.

I DEFROSTED SOME MEAT FOR TODAY.  BOTH GROUND BEEF AND STEAK.  THINKING OF SOME MEATBALLS AND SPAGHETTI AND MAYBE A PEPPER STEAK SANDWICH IN THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.  MY TUMMY TELLS ME IT LOVES THEM BOTH.

THAT'S IT LADIES.  HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GOOD DAY.  HUGS QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (1/25/2024 9:47 am)

1/25/2024 10:58 am  #40

Good Morning to everyone!!  It's a dreary day, fairly still and been raining, not so right now.  So that's a good thing!!  I really don't  have a thing to say this morning, just boring as get-out!!!

So will just sign off, wishing you all a wonderful day, BJ.

Board footera