OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/16/2024 1:20 pm  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY JANUARY 14 ~ SAT JAN 20

Happy Birthday Linda!
Welcome home Janet, too bad about the food.

I made English muffins today. The rising and frying worked great but they are dense, not full of holes like the store bought.

I cleaned out kitchen drawers while they we rising. What a good job to have done!

Last edited by tricia-anne (1/17/2024 8:59 pm)

Sew Happy (Patty)
Northern Minnesota

1/16/2024 3:38 pm  #22

Devonne, my neighbor had a little heater like that and he loved it.  He lived alone in a 4 bedroom house and kept his heat low.  He kept that heater by his chair and it kept him toasty warm without heating the whole house.  I hope you like yours.

I am making a copy cat Texas Roadhouse dinner roll recipe today.  The dough is in my bread machine and it is smelling good, so I hope the rolls are as good as the restaurant's.   I took a container of vegetable beef soup out of the freezer.  I also took out a container of bean soup but it looks really cloudy so it may be freezer burnt.  We shall see.

Last edited by tricia-anne (1/17/2024 9:00 pm)

1/16/2024 4:28 pm  #23

Gaaahhh!  How do you people up north stay warm?  Good heavens, I'm so not loving our freeze.  My poor plants are frozen.  The roses look beautiful with ice crystals on them.  Lots of hard pruning in a few weeks. 

My thorn for the week?  The weather.  My rose for the week?  The fact that I can afford to stay inside, quilt, and drink hot tea.  My bud for the week?  That in April we will have a beautiful flush of roses to enjoy. 

I stayed inside and worked on my quilting.  My HQ had some issues, and my tech guy made some suggestions that seem to have worked.  Love it when the tech doesn't feel the need to earn a bunch of money to come out unless necessary.  I put a very old and not very loved Christmas top on the frame so that I could do all of the tension adjustments on a top I don't care much about it.  I needed to get it done since I had a very special top (wink, wink) I needed to finish.  Both now done, special quilt is bound, and the other is in the binding-to-be-hand-stitched pile.  That pile is going down.  I need to snuggle under warm things.  Lots of warm things.  

Happy Birthday Linda!

Last edited by Needlecrazy (1/16/2024 4:29 pm)

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

1/16/2024 7:04 pm  #24

Happy Birthday Linda! 

Sandra, I just got done watching all 3 seasons of Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. I think I saw somewhere that network TV only plans to show 6 episodes of season one, which is about 2/3 of the season. It was ok, had some funny moments. 

Carol, I guess we‘re used to having winter? Our snow got a little rain on top of it, which has now frozen over. Which is a mess, of course.

1/17/2024 8:40 am  #25

Still stuck here in the house because of our 🤬 driveway. It’s about 19* now going up to a whopping 21*. Hopefully DH will get us out and back up tomorrow. I don’t “need” anything but I have to get out of here… when we moved from NY we vowed to never have a driveway like this again, and now we do again.
The heat pumps, a cheap southern idea, are useless in these temps. In fact even the manufacturer says that they are effective below 35. Somehow the people around here think they’re in the south. Not. Did I ever mention how much I dislike being here and in this house? Lol.

1/17/2024 10:38 am  #26

CAROL......GOOD TO SEE YOU POSTING AGAIN.  I'M GLAD YOUR MACHINE ISSUES WERE FIXED WITHOUT MUCH TROUBLE.
YOU ARE ALWAYS SO DARN BUSY, YOU MAKE ME TIRED.  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

JANET........ITS GOOD YOU ARE SAFELY HOME.  DID YOU GET MUCH DONE?

HOLLY......I WATCHED 2 OF THOSE MURDER IN THE BUILDING SHOWS AND DIDN'T LIKE IT SO DELETED THE 3RD ONE.  NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING WITH STEVE MARTIN AND MARTIN SHORT. 

ITS A COLD AND SUNNY DAY HERE.  MY LAUNDRY IS GOING DOWNSTAIRS.  I HAVE THE MEATLOAF CASSEROLE PLANNED FOR THIS AFTERNOON AND WILL COOK THE GROUND BEEF WITH SOME PIZZA SAUCE FOR MY PIZZA LATER.  ITS BINGO NITE SO I HAVE TO GET THINGS DONE BEFORE FIVE.
WE GOT ABOUT 4 INCHES OF SNOW THIS TIME AND NO POWER OUTAGES FOR ME.  I COULD HAVE BAKED MY MEATLOAF CASSY YESTERDAY IF I KNEW THAT.  NO HARM DONE.  THOSE BURGERS I MADE INSTEAD TASTED MIGHTY GOOD.  I AM JUST A LITTLE BEHIND ON MY TO-DO LIST.  WILL CROSS OUT WHAT'S NOT NEEDED AND REWRITE A NEW ONE.

THAT'S IT FROM ME LADIES.
I AM THANKFUL FOR FRIENDS AND FAMILY.
I AM THANKFUL FOR GOOD NEIGHBORS.
I AM THANKFUL FOR MY HEALTH.
I AM FEELING A WHOLE LOT BETTER TODAY THAN THE LAST 3 DAYS WHEN I HAD BALANCE ISSUES.  HATE THAT BUT ITS SOMETHING ONE MUST LIVE WITH SOMETIMES.
HAVE A GOOD DAY EVERYONE.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (1/17/2024 10:41 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

1/17/2024 10:56 am  #27

Good Morning to everyone!!  It is really snowing here this morning, been raining w/snow mixed in, but now it's just snow.  I think Rhonda spent the night at the hotel last night, since she can't get out of her driveway when it snows.  So glad we don't have to go anywhere today!!
I don't have anything to say this morning, so think I will just sign off, wishing you all well!  Have a wonderful day, BJ.

1/17/2024 11:18 am  #28

Sandra- I got a lot done. I finished my BOM blocks. I was behind by 3 months. Lol
Except for the borders, my starburst using layer cakes is done, and almost all of the blocks for another quilt, done. I brought other projects, just in case, but didn’t need them.

1/17/2024 2:26 pm  #29

Janet, heat pumps are also in the PacNW. Is cost the reason they were first started? 
Our end of the street and our driveway were all ice this morning. It’s been sunny, so some melting. More snow expected Friday. 

I started watching The Murdoch Murders on Hulu, and I really like it. set in Toronto in the 1890’s, main character is a police detective. 

1/17/2024 2:44 pm  #30

Holly- to my understanding cost was the origin of heat pumps. They are cheaper than more traditional heat like furnaces whether they use oil, coal, natural gas or propane. Heat pumps are electric. They are inefficient and often have to kick in the the “electric heat” function which is very expensive to operate, and IMHO doesn’t do a heck of a lot. Our electric bill last month was over $900 and that is primarily due to the heat pumps. And we still have to use our gas fireplaces.
Also, the heat pump does both heat and AC so they think it’s cheaper because you don’t need separate AC, but it’s not.

Last edited by tricia-anne (1/17/2024 9:01 pm)

1/17/2024 3:43 pm  #31

It was a wind chill of negative 16 today so the kids did not have school.  The sun was bright and it did not seem that cold until I had to go out.    I had to go to the pharmacy to get some medications or I would not have gone out at all.  The roads are all clear, so driving was not an issue.

Aaron has his colonoscopy scheduled for Friday.  He was notified by his insurance that they would pay all but $3400 of it.  WHAT??!!!  Said the entire bill was $14,000.  This is what is wrong with the medical field in our country today.  That is insanely expensive.  He is only 38 years old and it is medically necessary so it should all be covered by his insurance.  I am so angry.  He does not have that kind of money and is worried.  Dean told him not to worry and to pay a little as he can at a time.  

I made those  Texas Roadhouse copy cat rolls and they were good.  They are actually better today than yesterday so I will keep that recipe for sure.

Last edited by tricia-anne (1/17/2024 9:20 pm)

1/17/2024 4:12 pm  #32

Afternoon y'all!  

QB if you stuck with Real Murders it gets funnier!  They will complete season one next week!  I have enjoyed it, I love the 3 main characters!  Even hubby likes it and that says alot!  I guess to get season 2 & 3 I need to log into HULU! 

Janet we will never get a heat pump.  We have a gas furnace.  My MIL has a heat pump and can never get the house warm.  I grew up with a gas furnace, the heat seems warmer!  

Usual busy!  Since they moved the lake closing we needed to get a load from the house! Hubby went up Sunday and got a load, came back the same day.  Even told me there was less there than he thought!  One day he will actually listen to me.  I thought we could get it all if we took 2 vehicles to the house for the closing.  We will still have to take 2, I go to the closing and my little car is better in Downtown Columbia!  

It was 11* this morning with a wind chill of 0*.  My blood is too thin for this weather!  It did warm up to 24* with a wind chill around 20*, I actually walked the park in this weather, got all my steps in too!  Hard to sit in the car with the heat full blast to warm up!  I even found my wool socks to wear.  What a lifesaver! 

Like Carol, this is too cold for my southern self!  Tomorrow our high is supposed to get above freezing!  Can't wait!  Tonight's low will be a balmy 19*!  Should warm up quickly, warm being relative with a high in the mid 40's tomorrow! 

Just put supper in the oven.  Mish-mash, which is leftover pastas and pasta sauce (tomato based) with leftover mozzarella cheeses, I put the pan in the freezer and we add to it when we have pasta meals, with leftovers.  I love it, an easy meal!  So do the boys.  Rarely any leftovers or I don't want that's!   

Later my Friends! 

1/17/2024 4:51 pm  #33

It was 10 degrees when I got up this morning! Gary's water is frozen, as well as at Logan's girlfriend's house. My water wasn't frozen. I told them to come here to take showers. You don't see this kind of weather often in the South, but with the climate change, things are changing.

I love, LOVE this little heater/fireplace. Money well spent. It doesn't get hot at all on the sides nor the back, only the front where the heat comes out. I am going to be able to put it where I wanted it. I can push the drapes to the other side when I'm using it. My heat pump would only get up to 66 degrees this morning, but when I turned this heater on it was at 71 degrees in 2 hours.

When we built our house in 1996, we had propane heat. No gas lines there and no gas here either! It was so very warm, but sooo expensive! We converted to a heat pump and had no problems staying warm, even with high vaulted ceilings and drafty wood windows. It was a Trane; this is a cheap builder's grade Goodman. I don't plan on replacing it unless it becomes absolutely necessary. I might just get another one of these heaters for my sewing room. It's the coldest room in the house!

Sandra, I hope you liked your casserole.

Cheryl, I didn't know a colonoscopy was that much! That's terrible he has to pay that much out of pocket. I've seen some good yeast roll recipes on YT....easy ones. Love those Texas RH ones.

Carol, I got your wink, wink, lol. 

Last edited by DownSouth (1/17/2024 4:52 pm)

D e v o n n e

1/17/2024 8:23 pm  #34

JANET SENT ME A PICTURE OF HER STARBURST QUILT SHE WORKED ON AT RETREAT.......

WITHOUT BORDERS.

Last edited by quiltbea (1/17/2024 8:24 pm)

1/17/2024 9:31 pm  #35

DARN IT, just lost the lot!!

CAROL so good to see you back, and I'm glad about the machine, getting fixed quickly is a bonus, my roses are suffering with rain and heat LOL I'll swap you !

DEVONNE that sounds like you have a winner, I don't have any idea about heat pumps, it's possibly like heat bank we could get years ago here, but they were not efficient!

JANET love the quilt, they are my kind of colours, the fabric line is great!

SANDRA I'm glad your dizzy has improved, is it BP related?  Or like me, just getting older LOL

THERESA it's been such a long journey, I can't believe it's still going, but the end is getting closer (((hugs)))

CHERYL that is a lot to pay extra, are you allowed to pay it off? Our health fund covers us, but it does cost us a lot each month, good to find a recipe that works for you.

HOLLY I have seen some of that series (Murdoch) , his accent was off-putting for me, not sure why! I'll check out the other series. I still have a couple books to read yet!

It didn't help our bank balance today for my eye Dr visit, OUCH!! But he did lots of tests, I went about cataracts, the end result, they are quite thick, and he's surprised I don't have more symptoms, but as I don't he wants to see me in Oct next to maybe see about it then. He feels they will continue to grow, and maybe by then they will be right to do LOL

The D**** roof is leaking still, we had another lot of heavy rain last night, and it's dripping down, we just filed an online claim, I wanted him to say it was urgent, if we get more heavy rain the ceiling will cave in. YIKES!! I have towels ready on the floor tucked under the coffee table, I'll put them out each night under the leak. 

Hopefully we'll hear something sooner rather than later.

Funny about recipes online, some of them are good, but way more are just not good at all, some of the things you see on YouTube are crazy, one was to put condensed milk into a microwave in glass just for 10 mins to get caramel LOL that's never going to work.

Last edited by tricia-anne (1/18/2024 3:25 am)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

1/17/2024 10:21 pm  #36

HI!
SORRY TO HAVE BEEN MIA LATELY. CAUGHT UP ON THIS WEEK BUT HAVEN'T LAST WEEK'S POSTS.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE BIRTHDAY WISHES. I WAS A QUIET DAY. I DIDN'T DO MUHC AND THE GIFT I GAVE MYSELF WAS NOT TO FEEL GUILTY FOR NOT DOING MUCH. MOST BIRTHDAYS, EITHER SICK OR THE WEATHER MESSES UP PLANS. WE HAD SNOW ON MONDAY AND IT HAS BEEN VERY COLD. NICE TO BE ABLE TO STAY HOME IN THIS WEATHER.

STAY WARM

THINKING OF EVERYONE. PRAYERS...........................................................

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

1/18/2024 3:38 am  #37

good to see you LINDA ((((hugs))))

The insurance people have been working flat out, 😄I’ve  been on the phone so much since my post. Someone coming to check ceiling inside tomorrow to make safe if needed. Monday roofer will come to also make safe and either cover or do something to stop water, a builder will also be in to inspect and assess, THEN they will schedule repairs, so many people have water damage in the last lots of rain, lots of claims.
I’m happy they will stop further leaks and damage,  
and it’s only $200 excess to pay, Megan said hers is over $1000, I think you call it deductible?

Megan just made my dessert, John asked her to fnd out how.

So easy, 1/4cup melted butter swirled into baking dish, about 8” x 12”, mix 1 cup each sugar, self raising flour and milk, pour that into pan, top with 1lb bag frozen berries (I’ve used cherries and strawberries too) bake 370 about   (180C)  50 mins. May need a little more, mine often does.

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

1/18/2024 4:12 am  #38

Hi, Linda...good to hear from you. 

It didn't get as cold tonight as last night. It's 10 degrees warmer, but the next three nights will be much colder....14 degrees each night, unless that changes. 

Trish, I think it was you that asked how much power does this heater use. I looked it up and it says $1.92 per day. It's an infrared quartz and they don't use as much electricity. Of course, I don't run it all day long and only for extremely cold days.

Your dessert reminds me of our "dump" cake. A box of cake mix, pie filling of your choice and butter. Put pie filling in bottom of pan (9x13), sprinkle dry cake mix on top of filling, add butter (cut up pieces) all over the top and bake. You don't mix it. Some people spread crushed pineapple on top of the pie filling before adding the dry cake mix.

It's almost 5 am and I haven't been to sleep, so decided to watch tv and look at embroidery designs. Great deals after Christmas. I think I'm going to do a quick Valentine's Day wallhanging. Nothing fancy.

I watched Reptile on Netflix. It was the longest movie, maybe because I kept pausing it, lol. It didn't start good, but ended up being worth watching. 

Molly and Gracie both wanted out of their crates at 3:15. They both were thirsty and wanted to go outside. I always leave them out and they lay on the sofa.

Holly, how many feral cats are at your place? How do they stay warm in this cold weather? 

The train just rolled thru my little town, so I'm calling it a night....morning, lol! 

D e v o n n e

1/18/2024 7:57 am  #39

Devonne, we have 2 ferals, Lucy and Friday. They come in for breakfast, but go right back out. They have straw lined houses- totes with a hole just big enough to get in and out on both the deck and in the garage. Then there’s Daisy and Bob, who go back and forth between our house and the house 2 houses away. They go in that house, but won’t come in here, strange. Then there are Louie and George, who show up occasionally to eat. I think they have other homes, they are not skinny but are skittish. 

Contractor just got here and is banging around in the basement. Ralph is at breakfast with the veterans.
We’re predicted to get more snow tomorrow.

Janet, beautiful quilt! 

Last edited by Holly in South Jersey (1/18/2024 7:57 am)

1/18/2024 10:23 am  #40

BRRRRRR, ITS COLD HERE.  TEENS TO 20SF TODAY.  I AM STAYING INDOORS.
I MADE THE MEATLOAF CASSEROLE YESTERDAY AND IT WORKED OUT WELL.  JUST MAKE YOUR OWN MEATLOAF RECIPE WITH 1 LB GROUND BEEF AND SHAPE IT LIKE A LOAF AND PLACE IT IN A CASSEROLE DISH/PAN CROSSWISE.  ON ONE SIDE PUT YOUR SLICED CARROTS AND THE OTHER SIDE THE POTATOES OF CHOICE.  I HAD A SMALL AREA FOR THE CARROTS AND A LARGER SIDE FOR MY TATERS.  DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE FAT, IT WILL FLAVOR YOUR VEGGIES.  BAKE ALL TOGETHER AT 375* TIL DONE, ABOUT 1 HR TO 1 HR 15 MINS.  I PUT PATS OF BUTTER ATOP MY VEGS AND A DRIZZLE OF OLIVE OIL WITH SALT AND PEPPER.  YOU CAN USE WHATEVER SEASONINGS SUIT YOU BEST.  I THINK SOME GARLIC PEPPER WITH HERBS SEASONING NEXT TIME. I LIKE ITS BAKED ALL IN ONE CONTAINER.

TRISH........THANK YOU, MY PROBLEM IS BALANCE NOT SO MUCH DIZZY.  I GUESS ITS FROM MY AGE AND MOTHER NATURE.  I COPE MOST DAYS.  
SORRY ABOUT THE RAIN LEAKS ONCE AGAIN.  AT LEAST THIS TIME THEY ARE GOING TO DO A SMASHING JOB OF REPAIRS FOR YOU SO IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN.  I HOPE THAT'S FINISHED SOON.

HOLLY.......I'VE WATCHED MURDOCH MYSTERIES SINCE IT WAS NAMED THE ARTFUL DETECTIVE.  IT SUITED HIM SINCE HE WAS ALWAYS INVENTING NEW THINGS AND YOU WILL FIND THAT THEY TWIST HISTORY A BIT TO SUIT THEIR NEEDS.  HE INVENTS FINGERPRINTING, WHICH THEY CALL FINGER MARKS, ON THE SHOW AND RADIO TRANSMISSIONS BETWEEN THE POLICE ON DUTY.  LOTS OF OTHER THINGS TOO, AND SOME DISASTEROUS.  BUT ITS A GOOD SHOW WITH A FINE CAST.  I'VE WATCHED IT FOR YEARS AND ITS COMING BACK AGAIN NEXT MONTH FOR ITS 17TH OR 18TH YEAR.
I LOVE HEARING ABOUT YOUR CATS.  I THINK ITS A WONDERFUL THING YOU DO FOR THEM.  SOMEONE HERE ALWAYS PUTS OUT FOOD NEAR OUR DUMPSTER FOR A CAT THAT VISITS BUT I THINK ITS GOT A HOME SINCE IT LEAVES BEHIND LOTS OF FOOD.

DEVONNE.......ITS GREAT OUR LITTLE HEATER IS WORKING WONDERS FOR YOU.  AND ITS SUPPOSEDLY CHEAP TO RUN.  GOOD FOR YOU.
I NEVER HEARD OF HEAT PUMPS HERE IN THE NORTH. MOST FOLKS HAVE OIL OR GAS FURNACES IN THEIR BASEMENTS AND NOW MODERN ONES HAVE SOLAR AND WIND POWER.  IN OUR BUILDING WE HAVE NATURAL GAS HEAT AND ITS NICE AND COZY WARM EVEN ON THE COLDEST DAYS.

CHERYL......WOW, I NEVER KNEW A COLONSCOPY COST SO MUCH.  THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS.  IN ANY CASE TELL AARON NOT TO WORRY.  HE CAN PAY A SMALL MONTHLY PAYMENT EACH MONTH AFTER HE GETS THE BILL.  EVEN IF ITS ONLY $25 OR $50 A MONTH.  AS LONG AS HE PAYS MONTHLY, THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

THERESA......OUR CHANNEL ONLY SHOWED 3 OF THOSE MURDER SHOWS AND I THINK IT WAS A NIBBLE TO GET YOU TO USE HULU.  I DO NOT HULU.

I THINK I WILL BAKE A CHICKEN BREAST TO HAVE SOME ON HAND FOR SANDWICHES.  ITS ALWAYS A GOOD THING....FOR ME ANYWAY.  A NICE THICK CHICKEN SANDWICH WITH MAYO.  MMMM GOOD.
I ALSO PLAN TO MAKE MY PIZZA TODAY.  I FORGOT TO TAKE THE FROZEN PIZZA DOUGH FROM THE FREEZER TO THAW, DUH.  I THOUGHT I PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE SECTION BUT IT WASN'T THERE SO NO PIZZA LAST NITE.  I WILL MAKE IT TONITE.  SO AS YOU CAN TELL, I HAVE PLENTY OF FOOD AROUND.

THAT'S IT LADIES.  MY DAY WILL BE QUIET PER USUAL.  I LEAD SUCH A DULL LIFE, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT, I LIKE IT.
HUGS FOR YOU ALL.  QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (1/18/2024 10:43 am)

Board footera