OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

5/22/2023 8:39 pm  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY MAY 21 ~ SAT MAY 27

Holly, I ate at La Madeleine today with LisaTX.  She had more blocks for Bonnie's quilt, and we came up with a put-together plan.  Frenchie's is still there and thriving.  For those of you who don't live here, Frenchie's is actually an Italian restaurant, and it's a favorite of the astronauts.  There are more signed photographs of astronauts there than anywhere else!  I haven't been to McAllisters in a long time as there isn't one close.  However, one is opening soon right down the road, so we'll check it out.  

MaryLou, you did well at the doctor's office.  Good luck on the potential root canal.  I hate those!  Don't we all?

Trish, glad you are still working on your yoga.  There are some moves and poses that are just really tough.  

I'm heading to bed.  I worked in my yard for about 2 hours this morning, and then I went down and worked at the neighborhood pool house bed for an hour this evening.  Had lunch with Lisa in between, and then sewed the first row of blocks for Bonnie's quilt.  Yikes!  Every single seam has points that have to match.  16 seams in one row.  Lisa's rethinking whether she wants to make this quilt for herself.  

Night, all. 

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

5/23/2023 8:47 am  #22

Busy day today…gym, haircut, lunch with the guild girls, guild meeting and then home to make eggplant parm for dinner and talk to the HVAC guy about replacing a heat pump!  Whew.

5/23/2023 9:10 am  #23

I TRANSPLANTED ALL MY 6 TOMATO PLANTS AND MY 2ND PARSLEY AND THYME PLANTS.  NOW ONLY THE SWEET PEPPERS NEED PLANTING BUT THE NIGHTS ARE STILL TOO COOL FOR THEM.  THEY WILL DO BETTER INDOORS UNDER MY SUNLIGHT TIL THEN.
I ENDED UP WITH AN ACHING RIGHT HIP WITH ALL MY BENDING. I DID NOT FEEL LIKE MAKING THE BRACIOLE SO I TOOK THE EASY ROUTE AND MADE STEAK PIZZIOLA WHICH IS STEAK SIMMERED FOR A COUPLE HOURS IN TOMATO SAUCE.  THAT WITH SPAGHETTI FILLED MY TUM TUM JUST FINE.
I NEED TO GET OUT TODAY TO PUT STRAW AROUND MY NEW TRANSPLANTINGS.

TRISH.......SORRY FOR THE LOSS OF MIL OF YOUR GODDAU.  THAT WILL BRING ON THE MEMORIES, I HOPE SOME NOT SO SAD.
GOOD FOR YOU STILL DOING YOGA.  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
THE 3RD LILAC BUSH IN OUR PATIO AREA IS RIGHT BESIDE MY PLOT AND VERY YOUNG SO JUST PUTTING OUT ITS FIRST FEW BLOSSOMS.  I THINK I LOVE THE SCENT ALMOST AS MUCH AS SOME OF MY VARIETIES OF ROSES I USED TO GROW.  NOT ALL ROSES SMELL THE SAME.

MARY LOU......GOOD NEWS ON THE SCHOLARSHIPS.  ANY HELP IN EDUCATION COSTS IS GOOD.  ITS SO EXPENSIVE THESE DAYS.
GOOD FOR YOU WITH YOUR DR VISITS WORKING OUT SO NICELY AND WITH GOOD NEWS.  YOU DESERVE TO EAT OUT AFTER THAT.

HOLLY......OUR LAST FROST DATE IS MEMORIAL DAY BUT WE HAVE HAD THE OCCASIONAL FROST A DAY OR 2 LATER.  JUNE 10TH IS A BETTER DATE FOR TRANSPLANTING AROUND HERE EXCEPT THIS YEAR HAS BEEN VERY WARM.  
GOSH, ICELAND.  HOME OF THE LOVELY ICELANDIC HORSE OF WHICH I AM A FAN.  THE COLD THERE WOULD TURN ME OFF IN A HEARTBEAT BUT THE AURORA BOREALIS WOULD BE DELIGHTFUL TO SEE.

BJ......NEW CLOTHES ARE ALWAYS A GOOD THING.  ENJOY THE NEW SHIRT.

CAROL.....ALWAYS SO DARN BUSY, YOU MAKE ME TIRED.

LINDA.....WHEN I HAVE TO COVER MY PLANTS WITH TOWELS, I STICK A STAKE RIGHT UP AGAINST IT AND WRAP THE TOWEL AROUND THE PLANT THEN CLIP OR TIE THE TOWEL TO THE STAKE ABOVE THE PLANT.  LARGER PLANTS DO NOT GET BOTHERED BY THE WEIGHT OF A TOWEL BUT SMALLER ONES WILL BE. YOU NEED TO BE SURE THE BOTTOMS ARE TUCKED RIGHT INTO THE SOIL.

THATS MY NEWS.  COOKING WILL BE SOME PORK CHOPS WITH TATERS AND CARROTS FOR SUPPER AND MAYBE A SALAD WITH SOME STEAK PIZZIOLA FOR LUNCH.  HAVE A GOOD DAY.  
HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (5/23/2023 9:14 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

5/23/2023 9:17 am  #24

Good Morning to everyone!!   It is 55* and still everywhere, not even a tiny breeze.  Have no plans for the day, Sharon will be here to clean and do some things for me, she's a peach!  I don't have any strength or energy today, so will just sign off and go sit in my chair.  Guess that happens when you reach your 80's.

Have a wonderful day, everyone, and stay happy, BJ.

5/23/2023 11:07 am  #25

Hope everyone is having a terrific Tuesday! 

I got up very early this morning. Caleb's kindergarten graduation was today. They actually had blue caps and gowns & they looked so cute! Caleb was voted the "most energetic," which wasn't a surprise to anyone, lol. I didn't have a cap and gown until our 8th grade graduation. 

Marylou, that would be a wonderful shopping trip!

I think Carol's answer is why I don't have any lilac bushes.

D e v o n n e

5/23/2023 12:11 pm  #26

Carol, I’m jealous! 

Steph and Dan are in Iceland, temp in the 40’s, light from 4 a.m. til 11 p.m. Dan is an adventurous eater. He had a dish called rotten shark, which in the pic was served in cubes with toothpicks. He described it as the texture of steak fat, flavor of something that you kept in the fridge near some week old tuna. He graded it a D+. Steph passed on tasting it. He also said their hot dogs are made of lamb instead of beef, so have a distinctive flavor. 

5/23/2023 12:13 pm  #27

GOOD AFTERNOON!

I DIDN'T MEAN TO SOUND LIKE I WAS IN A STRENOUS EXERCISE PROGRAM. I MA JUST OFF THE COUNCH A LITTLE MORE. DID EXTRA WATERING THIS MORNING AND HAVE FELT "FUNNY" SINCE. HOPE I CAN GET A FEW INDOOR CHORES DONE THIS AFTERNOOON. THE WAY I LOOK AT IT, DOING MORE THAN I USED TO DO DO IS A VERY GOOD THING. IF I GET SOME PLANTS IN BACK, WILL INCREASE MY ACTIVITY A LITTLE MORE.

THANKS SANDRA, I HAD WORNDERED. THINK WE ARE OKAY HERE NOW. HOPTING TO GET MY INSIDE HOUSE PLANTS OUTSIDE SOON. NIGHTS ARE STILL A LITTLE COOL FOR THEM. WILL BE MORE WATERING WHEN I DO PUT THEM OUT.

DIDN'T HAVE A CAP OR GOWN UNTIL HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION. DS#A WNT TO A PRIVATE KINDERGARDEN AND THEY HAD WHITE CAPS AND A CERTIFICATE. CUTE. THE NEXT YEAR THE COUNTRY ADED KINDERGARDEN. 

I HAD LILACS FROM MY GRANDMOTHER'S (DAD0S MOM) BUT THE HONEYSUCKLE KILLED THEM. DAD HAD BROUGHT ME SLIPS OF A WHITE AND SEVERAL LAVENDER ONES. MISS . THEM. I ALSO LOVE THE SMELL. WOULD SMELL SO NICE WHEN COULD BRING SOME BLOOMS INSIDE. DARRELL HAD BUILT HIS MOTORCYCLE "HOUSE" SO COULDN'T SEE IT ANYMORE. THAT HELPED ME NOT TO SEE THE HONEYSUCKLE THAT CAME FROM A NIBGHBORS'S YARD. THEY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING TO CONTROL IT IN THEIR YARD WHICH WAS NEAR, SO ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO CONTROL IN MY YARD.

IF I AM ABLE NEXT YEAR, MAY HAVE BILL ADD SOME AZALEAS AND OTHER PLANTS TO THE BACK YARD. WILL HAVE TO SEE HOW I DO WITH WHAT I HAVE NOW. 

THINKING OF EVERYONE. RAYERS...................................................

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

5/23/2023 2:18 pm  #28

Forgot to add, the shark is served with a small glass of liquor, looks like vodka. Maybe you need the vodka to choke down the shark! 

The poor urban district I worked in made a big deal of 8th grade graduation. I was told it was because so few of them made it to high school graduation, less than 50%. I always thought they needed to work more on retention, but no one asked me.

5/23/2023 4:20 pm  #29

When I was teaching we had a graduation for 8th graders, no caps and gowns.
HS graduation was a big deal. Teachers wore caps and gowns from their colleges and the hoods of their degrees.  That meant some of us had 2. The cap tassels represented the post graduate degrees.  The kids gowns varied in color based on their achievement.such as valedictorian, etc.  Tassels designated their ranking in class and their involvement in school programs, etc.  It was a big deal.

5/23/2023 4:23 pm  #30

Holly, Houston ISD's superintendent decreed one year that there would be NO graduations until high school.  None.  No caps.  No gowns.  The expectation was that everyone completed the course of study and then graduated.  Oooooh, boy, the outcry was horrendous.  What about all of those darling kindergarteners?  What about 8th grade prom?  Yes, there was such a thing.  He stood firm.  Did it help the graduation rate?  A bit.  However, if you consider that one kid getting a diploma is a victory, then yes, it was worth it.  

Janet, the faculty doesn't wear full regalia at our graduations since many of them came from foreign countries and they don't have anything similar.  Now that the kids can order the tassels online, our counselors had to come up with a protocol that the various departments/club leaders handed the tassels and cords to the counselors who handed them out immediately prior to graduation.  

Last edited by Needlecrazy (5/23/2023 4:25 pm)

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

5/24/2023 1:16 am  #31

Oh yum SANDRA Braciole sounded good, haven't had it for a while, I'm sure the pizzaola(SP?) was just as good. We are having curried sausages, made it yesterday, and like most curries it's better the 2nd day.

CAROL Yep, keeping up with the yoga - well as good as I can anyway - our instructor is from India highly qualified, she is really, really good, I think we are a bit of a shock to her, I'm sure the 90+ yr olds back home are much better at this than we are LOL We'll get better, I did have quite a few sore spots after Mondays session, so I know I used muscles I haven't used before.

HOLLY & JANET our kids are encouraged to stay at school till Yr 12, they can leave earlier for trades etc, We don't do a graduation for Yr 12 with gowns/caps, that is for university (they do have formals and dress up beautifully, teachers included)  and they have different capes and tassels for the different specialities. Both mine hired their gowns, Megan should really have her own, she might need it one day, but as she's a primary school teacher it wold be a 'one of' type thing. The preschoolers here do a graduation with gowns and caps, I think to make them feel special before going to "Big School " LOL Sometimes they have been at the preschool for 4 years.

Devonne too sad for E, is she applying for jobs, it's hard right now everywhere in the world, hope they are OK. The boys get great value out of their passes for the parks don't they, good luck to them.

INDY can't believe that Andrew is finally finished, he has worked hard for his degree, and he'll enjoy the rewards of all that study.

BJ you are doing OK, it's OK to be tired, rest when you can, and enjoy the help!!

STRINGS just take things easy, it's difficult for you with the eye issues. Hope things get done around the yard as you would like them to be done!

JANET I had a productive day, donated fabric (patters included) made my list to take away - we go to Queensland for the Australian Bowls competition, and have generally been spring cleaning LOL even though it's wintery. I want the house done completely before we go.

HOLLY my friend Julie is also in Greenland right now - got there 2 days ago, I'm looking forward to her pics, she has been in Spain then UK and Ireland, now Greenland, forget where she goes next. She loves Spain, spent a week there, her pics were fabulous.

MARYLOU a massage sounds good right now, I am stiff and a bit muscle sore after yoga Monday, then group training yesterday, didn't think I did that much, but the body disagrees.

This computer is giving me grief, yesterday it dropped off W's email account, no idea why, tried to get it back and it said 'this account already exists' well I KNOW that,  - where is it though. I completely rebooted it, then looked back to see how old it is - almost 10 years, no wonder! (Got his email  back though LOL) 
We have to decide on another iMac or a laptop. We have the iPad but we both feel like we need to have something other than the iPad to access things, the screen is large enough, but we are used to having a keyboard and either the iMac or laptop will give us that.
Might mean a trip to Apple to help us decide, I know he has a LOT of emails stored in different folders, and I don't think they will  transfer over to a new computer, I might have to put them all back into his account and then try to transfer them over, the Apple people may be able to help with that, we have a backup portable storage unit, maybe that's all we need. Going to be hard to get used to a new system, although it will be a lot faster than this old thing LOL

Last edited by tricia-anne (5/24/2023 1:19 am)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

5/24/2023 7:39 am  #32

ITS ANOTHER LOVELY DAY WITH SUNSHINE AND TEMPS IN THE 60sF.  NICE.  NITES THOUGH DROP TO THE 40S SO TOO EARLY TO PUT OUT PEPPERS, BUT MAY NEED TO AS THEY ARE OUTGROWING THEIR POTS.  IF I DO TRANSPLANT, THEY WILL JUST NOT GROW MUCH IN THE COOLER NITE TEMPERATURES.
I PUT STRAW AROUND MY PLANTS TO KEEP THE LEAVES FROM TOUCHING THE SOIL WHICH CAN SPREAD SOIL-BORNE DISEASES LIKE EARLY BLIGHT.  AND I WATER THEM WITH A NARROW SPOUT DIRECTLY AROUND THE BASE OF THE PLANTS INSTEAD OF FROM ABOVE TO REDUCE WATER SPLATTER ON LEAVES.  
I AM THINKING OF STARTING SOME CUKES SOON.  I NEED TO SOAK THEIR SEEDS OVERNIGHT.  MAYBE THIS WEEKEND.  MY DAU IS COMING TOMORROW.  SHE IS PRETTY SURE THIS TIME.  I HOPE SO.  HER PLANTS NEED TO GET TRANSPLANTED.  THEY ARE GETTING TOO LEGGY.  I WILL ALSO SEND HER HOME WITH SOME SOIL AND STRAW FOR HER OWN GARDEN.

I GOT MY CHOPS AND VEGGIES ROASTED YESTERDAY SO NOW I HAVE 2 KINDS OF LEFTOVERS TO EAT TODAY.  WHICH IS GOOD SINCE I HAVE BINGO TONITE AND DO NOT LIKE TO COOK BEFORE GOING.  I CAN JUST HAVE A BITE TIL I GET BACK.

NOT MUCH MORE TO REPORT FROM HERE.  EXPECTING SOME RAIN SHOWERS THIS AFTERNOON.  I NOW HAVE BOTH MY GARDEN FAIRIES OUT IN THE GARDEN WHICH INCLUDES THE ONE WITH THE SOLAR-LIGHTED BALL.  SO PRETTY WHEN THE COLORS KEEP CHANGING AS IT GETS DARK.  I MAY ALSO PUT OUT MY RAIN-GAUGE GNOME EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A BETTER LARGER GAUGE FOR CHECKING RAIN.  HE'S KIND OF CUTE AND SUITS THE SPACE.
THAT'S IT FOLKS.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (5/24/2023 7:40 am)

5/24/2023 8:56 am  #33

Today was Carter's graduation from 5th grade. The school only allowed 2 seats per student, so I didn't go. Carter made the honor roll, all A's and B's. I am so proud of him, considering how he struggled at his first school. Moving him to this school was the best thing they ever did. The right school and the right teachers makes a huge difference in a child's education. 

Toward the end of the program, the school told everybody to leave and come back at 11:15, then the "final phase" would begin, a school walk thru. Parents weren't happy with this, as many of them needed to get back to their jobs. 

I was looking at pictures and I was wrong about a cap & gown in the 8th grade. The guys wore suits and the girls wore nice dresses. Our 8th grade trip was to Mammoth Cave, KY. Our HS trip in 1968 was to Washington, DC & New York. I didn't go. Still no desire to go to NY, lol.

Trish, she has applied for several jobs, some are work at home jobs. She seems anxious, but has a good attitude on finding another job. 

I got my linens back on the bed this morning. I always dread this. There's a waterproof liner, heavy bed topper, sheets & pillowcases - king size.  I didn't wash the comforter this time. I hang the topper over the back of my leather recliner to dry. It takes a good day to completely dry.

I'm going to work on my wreath today and I ordered a cheap coffee table from Walmart I need to put together. It has a shelf on the bottom I needed. 

eta: Forgot to say Dee (my dog groomer) Mom died last December. She was an embroider and a quilter. Dee texted me her Dad is having a huge sale this Friday and Saturday of all of her fabric, etc. It starts at 8 a.m. on Friday. I am definitely going to be there, but I have to be careful and not buy stuff that will only sit in my sewing room & never be finished. It's good I got paid today, or is it, lol? 

Last edited by DownSouth (5/24/2023 9:23 am)

D e v o n n e

5/24/2023 9:44 am  #34

Good Morning to everyone!  I don't have any energy this morning, but will leave a small message.  We are expecting the guys to replace the big kitchen window, it is smeared with spots all over, not sure why, but we decided to have it replaced.  So they'll be here any time to get it done, fortunately it is a very nice day, very sunny and still.

I'm sorry I don't have any energy to write a long note, so will just sign off and move to my chair to rest.  Have a wonderful day, everyone, BJ.

5/24/2023 10:02 am  #35

Hello, hello.  Been a few days.  I don't plan for that to be, but sometimes I just don't get on my computer for anything.  A wren is hopping around on the deck--my favorite song bird.  The robin, on the light above the slider is sitting on her eggs.  Gave Howard the "what for" last night while he grilled some chicken.  I was surprised she didn't dive bomb him!  

Yes, Andrew is finally graduated.  We "enjoyed" it from the comfort of our living room via texted pics from ML.  They nearly froze on commencement morning in South Bend, IN.  You never know about the weather!
(I submitted the above.  Last time I tried to post, after losing two, I gave up.)    
I think Theresa and Carol are in a play-off for who does the most in a day!  Being in the older category here,
I'm tired, too, much of the time.  I still have a lot of responsibilities that have to be done, by me, but do my share of resting and never get started much befor noon.  It's frustrating, but just the way it is.  Howard is more understanding than is his nature and I appreciate that.  He's not setting the world on fire, either, since his stroke.  
He's so forgetful and unmotivated.
We have our small group here again on June 2.  I have diligently kept things picked up and put away so getting ready for them will be much easier, but it's still time to clean and do the things necessary for company.  I'm going to serve my special chicken salad on mini croissants and maybe make some deviled eggs.   Now...the others bring the remainder of the menu so that part is much easier.  Every one of us, but Howard, is now over 80 so all feel it to some degree.  Some of them have house cleaners and that helps them.  I have ML who will come that Friday morning and help with the last minute things.  Her back, after having P-T is much better, thankfully.
The yard will look as always, neglected and sad.  We are not gardeners!  Hope they are concentrating on getting in the door and not looking around too much. 
I'm talking too much about us, but I have some bad news.  David and Rita may be on the verge of divorce.  I'm not on Facebook, but ML has had the task of telling us what's been going on.  What is wrong with people, airing all their dirty laundry for the world to see?  They have been posting nasty memes obviously aimed at each other.  And, Rita has been asking for prayer so ML finally messaged her.  She told her some awful things and said D. has said he wants a divorce.  They've been married 31 1/2 years. I told Howard the bare minimum so he wouldn't think I've kept anything from him but he told me he didn't really care of hear it.  O K A Y, suits me...

We were given our 8th grade diplomas at the beginning of the H.S. commencement.  Little school, small classes.
The boys wore suits and we girls, wore nice dresses--no gowns and mortarboards til high school.  Andrew explained to me the significance of the various stoles, hoods, and "ropes"  attached to college regalia.  For Purdue, he rented his stuff but at Notre Dame, he had to buy it.  Cost less than the rental (?) and he gets to keep it.  Something else to store!  
I'd better close and get busy.  Have a wonderful day.

Indy

Last edited by indyanny (5/24/2023 10:59 am)

5/24/2023 2:37 pm  #36

There were 200+ in my high school graduating class.  We wore caps and gowns. The sleeves had strips in various colors that indicated your ranking, “letter”; etc.  Tassels were also of varying colors.  The program explained the color coding.  We had to buy our caps and gowns.  And yes Judy, another thing to save.

5/24/2023 2:38 pm  #37

Just came back from annual eye exam. He said it was perfect and that he sees very few patients my age as good as mine. 🤩

5/25/2023 9:00 am  #38

WE DIDN'T GET CAPS AND GOWNS TIL GRADUATING HIGH SCHOOL.  SAME FOR MY KIDS AND GRANDKIDS THESE DAYS.  

WE GOT A LOVELY HALF INCH OF SOFT RAIN THRU THE DAY YESTERDAY.  MY GARDEN LOVES IT.  I DID NOT HAVE TO WATER THIS MORNING.
I ADDED MORE STRAW AROUND MY PLANTS AND TUCKED SOME IN THE AREAS WHERE THE CUKES AND THE PEPPERS WILL BE PLANTED.  THE REST I CAN GIVE TO MY DAU IF SHE WANTS IT (I EXPECT HER LATER TODAY) OR TO ANOTHER GARDENER HERE.  I CANNOT SAVE THE STUFF.  ITS EASY ENOUGH TO BUY NEW NEXT YEAR IF I STILL GARDEN.

TEMPS TODAY ONLY IN THE 60sF.  THE NITES ARE GETTING A BIT WARMER.  I MAY HAVE TO PUT IN MY PEPPERS EARLIER THAN ANTICIPATED DUE TO THEIR SIZE IN THEIR POTS NOW.  

I WON $5. AT BINGO LAST NITE.  ANY WIN IS A GOOD THING FOR ME.  THAT'S 2 WEEKS IN A ROW.  

NOTHING ELSE TO REPORT.  DEFROSTING SOME GROUND BEEF, FOR WHAT, I HAVE NO IDEA AT THE MOMENT.  

I WISH YOU ALL A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (5/25/2023 9:02 am)

5/25/2023 9:30 am  #39

Good Morning, I'm not much better this morning than yesterday.  Been awake since around 5, when the dog wanted to go out.  It is very sunny this morning, but completely still.  Garbage man is due today, may take a few minutes to visit with him, he's very nice.

It is so beautiful outside today, love it!!  But it is only 56*, but hopefully will warm up later.  Rhonda is due to stop by in a bit to take Elly to the vet, it is time for her checkup.  I have no plans for the day, don't have any energy, so will be a spud!

Obviously it is time to sign off and wish you all well.   Have a wonderful day, BJ.

5/25/2023 5:46 pm  #40

Judy, that is a lot of years together. Too bad they can't work things out. Has David meet someone else?

Janet, that's a really good eye exam and compliment!

Here's the wreath I ended up making for my front door. This is only the second bow I have made. Not perfect, but it will do.

D e v o n n e

Board footera