OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

4/21/2020 6:14 pm  #41

Re: Recipe Thread - November 2014

Wacky Cake

1 ½  C. flour
1 C. sugar
3 tsp. cocoa (no lumps)
1 tsp. each of soda, baking powder and salt
5 Tbsp. oil or melted butter or marjarin
1 tsp. each of vanilla and cider vinegar
1 C. warm water

In a greased 8x8 inch pan combine  well flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make 3 holes in in mixture; pour oil in one, vanilla into another and vinegar into third.  Add warm water and mix until well blended. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Can be frosted.

Last edited by strings (5/01/2020 10:47 pm)

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

10/14/2021 5:27 pm  #42

Slow cooker Buffalo Chicken soup
1 8 oz Pkg Cream Cheese
1/3 Cup Frank’s Red Hot Original Cayenne pepper Sauce*
3 Cups Shredded cooked Chicken***
½ Cup Chopped onion
½ Cup Chopped celery
1 carton 32 oz progresso chicken broth**
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 Cups shredded Colby Jack
In small microwavable bowl, microwave cream cheese, uncovered on high 30-45 seconds or until softened.  Add 1/3 cup Cayenne pepper sauce, mix well with a whisk.
In 3-4 quart slow cooker, mix chicken, onion, celery, chicken broth, salt, and pepper.  Stir in cheese mixture.
Cover, cook onlow 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender.  Stir in 1 ½ cups of the shredded cheese.  Cover and cook and additional 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Stir and serve with remaining ½ cup of cheese.
Notes:
**I made my own broth using bouillon cubes.
*I used buffalo wing sauce instead of the Frank’s sauce since I could not find it.
***I used 7 chicken tenders, cubed them instead of shredding them and cooked using creole seasoning.  Use your favorite seasoning on the chicken.

6/29/2022 6:46 pm  #43

THIS RECIPE CAME FROM A READER OF OUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER.  THINK ABOUT 1982

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

TEAR 4 SLICES OF BREAD, ANY KIND AND PLACE IN 9 X 13 GREASED BAKING DISH. BROWN 1 LB. BLULK OR LINK SAUSAGE., DRAIN. CUT LINK SAUSAGE IN SLICES. SPOON SAUSAGE OVER BREAD. SPRINKLE WIYH 1 CUP SHARP CHEDDAR CHEESE.  BEAT 6 EGGS AND 2 CUPS MILK, 1 TSP. DRY MUSTARD, OPTIONAL. 1 TSP. SALT AND DASH OF PEPPER. POUR OVER MIXTURE IN BAKING DISH. BAKE AT 350 DEGREES 25 TO 30 MINUTES. 

I CHECK TO BE KNIFE INSERTED IN CENTER COMES OUT CLEAN. I THINK IT IS BETTER TO ASSEMBLE IN THE EVENING AND REFRIDGERATE OVER NIGHT. SET OUT A LITTLE BEFORE BAKING. IF DON'T DO THE NIGHT BEFORE, I DO LET IT SIT A BIT FOR THE MIXTURE TO BE ABSORBED BY THE BREAD. I USALLY USE MORE THAN 1 CUP OF CHEESE. I DO SPRAY THE DISH, BUT THERE IS SO MUCH GREASE FROM SAUSAGE, NOT MUCH STICKING.  THE EGG AND MILK IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT RATION THAN THE EGG BITES. THIS IS FAMILY FAVORITE. TRIED DIFFERENT ON ONCE BUT FAMILY LIKES THIS ONE BETTER. I HAVE TAKEN THIS TO BEREAVED FAMILIES AND THEY SEEMED TO APPRECIATE HAVING SOMETHING FOR BREAKFAST. TOAST AND FRIUIT ARE GOOD SIDES. NICE TO HAVE IF YOU HAVE OVERNIGHT GUESTS. WHEN DS WOULD STAY HERE, WE COULD EAT AT DIFFERENT TIMES.  HOPE YOU ENJOY IT. OH, DON'T SEE WHY CAN'T HALF THE RECIPE. FREEZE THE BROWNED SAUSAGE FOR ANOTHER BATCH.

CORECTED THE TEMPERATURE TO 350 DEGREES. SORRY I HAD IT WRONG. SURE HOPE I DIDN'T MAKE ANY OTHER ERRORS!

Last edited by strings (6/30/2022 10:56 am)

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

7/27/2022 10:31 am  #44

Apple Nut Cake

3 eggs                              2 C. flour
1-3/4 C. sugar                  1 tsp. baking soda
1 C. vegetable oil             1 tsp. cinnamon
5 small tart apples            dash of salt and a bit of nutmeg (opt.)
1 C. nuts, chopped.

Whisk egg, sugar and oil until well-blended.  Whisk dry ingredients and stir into the egg mixture.
Dice apples into small to medium pieces and fold into egg mixture.  Then stir in nuts. 
Place into a 9 x 13 pan.  No need to grease.  350* for 1 hr.
I have no measurement for the apples.  If they're larger, I cut down on the number.  You can peel the apples or not.  The last few times I've made this, I've left the peels on and liked it just as well.  So much less work, too. 

8/18/2022 6:40 pm  #45

Roasted Cauliflower.....

one medium cauliflower head
2 slices bacon
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
2 green onions
avocado o
il
salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Break the cauliflower head into bite size pieces. Add cauliflower pieces in a bowl and add a little avocado oil. Mix well. Chop two green onions into small pieces. Cut two slices of bacon into small pieces. Put parchment paper on cookie sheet, add cauliflower, green onions and bacon pieces. Add salt. Bake for 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Take out of the oven and add the 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese. Put back in oven for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the cheese. Very good!

NOTE: I had to cook the cauliflower for 35 minutes. I don't have the best oven. I also added some more cheese...a mexican blend I wanted to use up. I also had to add a little more salt. Very good!

Last edited by DownSouth (8/18/2022 6:40 pm)

D e v o n n e

1/14/2024 10:12 am  #46

CHICKEN NOODLE CASSEROLE

INGREDIENTS:
2-3 CHICKEN BREASTS, COOKED AND DICED, OR ANY BONELESS CHICKEN YOU PREFER OR EVEN CANNED CHICKEN.
12 OZ. WIDE EGG NOODLES, COOKED AL DENTE
8 OZ SHREDDED/THICKLY-GRATED COLBY JACK OR CHEDDAR CHEESE (OR YOUR CHOICE)
4 OZ FINELY-GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE
1 CAN (10.5 0Z) CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
1 CAN (10.5 OZ) CREAM OF CELERY SOUP
8 OZ. SOUR CREAM
1/2 C CHICKEN BROTH
1 CUP CHEEZ-ITS CRACKERS, CRUSHED
4 OZ BUTTER, MELTED

1.  BOIL EGG NOODLES AL DENTE.  DRAIN.  SET ASIDE.
2.  IN BOWL: ADD BOTH CREAM SOUPS AND SOUR CREAM.  STIR TOGETHER.  ADD 1/2 CUP CHICKEN BROTH.  STIR TOGETHER SMOOTHLY.
3.  IN SMALL GLASS BOWL MELT BUTTER.  ADD THE CRUSHED CRACKERS.  YOU CAN USE ANY CHEESY CRACKER OR RITZ CRACKER FOR THIS STEP.  ADD THE MELTED BUTTER TO THE CRACKERS AND MIX TOGETHER.
4.  SPRAY OR BUTTER A 9 BY 13 CASSEROLE DISH/PAN.  POUR NOODLES IN FIRST.
ADD THE PARMESAN CHEESE, THEN THE SHREDDED CHEESE.
NEXT ADD THE CHICKEN PIECES EVENLY ACROSS.
POUR THE SOUP MIXTURE OVER THE CHICKEN PIECES.
TOP WITH THE CRACKER MIXTURE, SPREAD EVENLY ACROSS THE TOP.
5.  BAKE IN A PRE-HEATED 350*F(180*C) OVEN FOR 30 MINUTES TIL DONE
6.  LET THE DISH REST ABOUT 10 MINUTES BEFORE SERVING.

NOTE:  WHEN PREPARING TO BAKE, YOU CAN STIR EVERYTHING TOGETHER IN THE DISH IF YOU LIKE EXCEPT FOR THE TOPPING.
NOTE:  I DID NOT ADD ANY SALT NOR PEPPER.  THERE IS ENOUGH SALT IN THE CRACKERS AND SEASONING IN THE SOUPS.

NOTE:  I ALWAYS LINE MY PANS WITH FOIL FOR EASIER CLEAN-UP AFTERWARDS.  THEN I SPRAY OR BUTTER THE FOIL.
ENJOY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (1/14/2024 11:14 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

Board footera