OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

6/10/2018 3:01 pm  #1

Shipwreck Casserole (in the slow cooker) from the Kitchen Magpie blog

2 white onions, sliced
4 medium potatoes, sliced
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, uncooked
1/2 - 3/4 tsp. seasoning salt
1/2 cup white rice, uncooked
2 cups carrots, sliced
1 - 10 oz can of tomato soup (she used roasted red pepper for extra flavor!  Use your favorite soup!)
1  1/2 cups of water

1.  Place onions in the bottom of a well-greased slow cooker.  Add the potatoes, then the carrots.
2.  Mix the seasoning salt into the ground beef then spread the beef over the top of the vegetables, then sprinkle 
     with rice.
3.  Mix together the tomato soup and the water, then pour over the top.
4.  Cover with tin foil.  (this is the best way to seal your crockpot) and place the crockpot lid on top.
5.  Cook on low 6-8 hours until the vegetable are soft and the rice has cooked.

I haven't heard of roasted red pepper tomato soup.  Will have to look for it.  Am also thinking I might try it with ground turkey and experiment a bit with other seasonings, since turkey is so bland.  As some of the people who wrote comments did, you could add pretty much anything you want but I liked the basic recipe well enough.  One other comment:  Since I mostly use just 1 lb. of ground beef at a time, I cut back the onions to one and the potatoes to three but left the carrots to 2 cups.    

Last edited by indyanny (6/10/2018 3:02 pm)

12/12/2018 2:13 pm  #2

Re: Shipwreck Casserole (in the slow cooker) from the Kitchen Magpie blog

German Chocolate Brownies
Brownie base:
1/4 C. (1/2 stick) butter
1-4 oz bar German sweet chocolate
3/4 C. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 large eggs
1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder

Coconut Topping:

1 1/3 C. shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 C. pecans, chopped
1/4 C. brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 C. evaporated milk

1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees, Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan.  Set aside.
2.  Combine butter and chocolate in a large glass bowl.  Microwave on high for one minute or until butter is melted.  Remove and stir until chocolate is completely melted.
3.  Whisk in sugar, vanilla and eggs until smooth.  Whisk flour & baking powder together and gently fold in.
4.  Spread brownie batter in prepared pan.  Set aside.
5.  Prepare topping:  Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until thoroughly combined.
6.  Gently spoon coconut topping over brownie base, spreading evenly.
7.  Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until toothpick inserted into center come out with fudgy crumbs.  Cool completely in pan on wire rack before cutting into bars.  Makes 16 brownies.

Board footera