OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/29/2014 8:47 pm  #21

Re: Now reading....

MtnMamma/Diane......I didn't know there was a MR Miracle book or movie.  Haven't heard of them before.  I know I like the Mrs. Miracles stories as movies.

I'm reading Jan Karon's A New Song, its the 5th in the series.  I know I must have read it before because I think I've read them all, but its been so long ago that its all seeming new to me.  I love the series anyway and could read them a couple times and still enjoy them.  In this one recently retired Father Timothy and his wife (he's Episcopalian) has retired and he's going to take an interim position on an Whitcap Island on the Atlantic coast for several months.

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

1/07/2015 12:55 am  #22

Quiltbea, the book and movie were new this year.   

(((hugs!!!))) & prayers!     ~MnM~ aka Diane

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!" 

1/14/2015 8:52 pm  #23

Am currently reading Bittersweet by Colleen McCullough (she wrote ThornBirds); it is a very good read and I think Trish would particularly like it as it takes place in Australia in the late 20s, early 30s and has lots of interesting history.

Recently finished A Quilt For Christmas by Sandra Dallas - enjoyed it - a quick read taking place during and after Civil War.

1/15/2015 10:05 am  #24

I'm reading Sleigh Bells in the Snow by Sarah Morgan, first in a series. I love series set in small towns with related characters, and this series of 3 (so far) is about 3 brothers.

1/18/2015 11:11 am  #25

I just finished "The Rosie Project" by Graeme Simsion for book club.  It's rather silly with a totally transparent story line, but it was kind of fun for light reading.

I love the Ken Follett books.  One of the book club members has my copies of the first two of the century history, and I guess I will have to ask for them back.  

It's amazing how much I read at school when I just pick up random stuff off the shelf that I think the kids might be interested in.  Sometimes I sneak them into my desk drawer before putting them out so I can be sure to read them, LOL.  I'm not a fan of the dystopian stuff, but the kids like it, so I read them quickly just so I know what is happening.  Rick Riordan's books about the Olympian gods are also hugely popular, so I read those too.  At least they will have a thorough grounding in Greek and Roman mythology before they get to college and won't have to struggle with Edith Hamilton's boring classic.  

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

1/18/2015 2:51 pm  #26

I'm going to add Bittersweet by Colleen McCullough to my list of books I want to read, thanks BJ!

I do like the saga books, especially's Ken Follett's, and I did finish his World Without End last week.  I used it to read before going to sleep and while it was interesting and it was not so captivating to keep me awake into the wee hours.  I loved the first books in the trilogy and they held my attention to a much greater degree.  I’ve just started one of Rutherford’s saga books, London. It is my new read-myself-to-sleep-novel but I hope it becomes more than that!

On my recent treks, I listened to the Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, which I really liked, and The Book Thief, which I thought was excellent. I also listed to the Silver Star by Jeannette Walls, who wrote The Glass Castle, which was outstanding, but while Silver Star was worth reading, it wasn’t nearly as good as The Glass Castle.

I read the Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd (she also wrote the Secret Life of Bees) before Christmas and thought it was a great story.  Quilting and quilts were a part of the story line which was a plus. I do highly recommend it.

1/18/2015 3:53 pm  #27

Thanks BJ. I just downloaded onto the iPad.

Colleen lives on Norfolk Is, my BIL and wife have been living there for some years, just moved back to mainland.
She is an interesting character, has eye problems. Leads a quiet life there, the island is VERY small, and they have spoken with her a bit. A private person, and keeps to herself mostly, but happy to join with locals for island events. They were fond of her.

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

1/22/2015 9:58 pm  #28

I will be consulting this thread for good reads in about 3 weeks.  Perhaps by then both my eyes and my head (from pain meds) will be more alert to enjoy a good book.   I can place a hold on them from the comfort of my recliner, and ask my guys to go pick it up for me!   Or perhaps I can select an ebook.

Suggestions for easy reads?  I might still be dozing now and then, and I'll need something easy to follow.  

Thanks!  

1/25/2015 9:21 am  #29

I just finished Line of Fire by Stephen White. It's the next to last in the Alan Gregory series, and the title is a play on words. I've read this series from the beginning, and will be sad to see it end. Line of Fire had a huge shocker that I never saw coming, and kept me up til midnight to finish it. Now to start the final book.

1/29/2015 4:46 pm  #30

I just finished Flash and Bones by Kathy Reichs. She's another writer I want to catch up on. Love the Temperence Brennan books, and this one was good.

2/18/2015 5:39 pm  #31

I have been trying to read family history stuff again lately.  What fun!   And very addictive, I must say!  A cousin, many times removed, sent his research to me, and I couldn't be happier!  Looks like we will be able to fill in some blanks for one another.  I will be able to concentrate more once this bug leaves me alone!     I found cousins living within 50 miles of me, and my parents weren't aware!  What fun!

2/26/2015 3:50 pm  #32

BJ, I'm going to see if I can put a hold on the book you mentioned (Bittersweet) and ask DS to pick it up from the library for me.  Sounds interesting.   And, Trish, what a fascinating glmpse into the life of the author.

3/14/2015 12:43 pm  #33

Finished "Worse Case" by James Patterson and am now reading "Beach House" by same author. Both are hard to put down books.

Dianne, I did the family stuff two years ago. You need to join "Ancestory.com" if you haven't already done so. I put a lot of family history together on that site. Even learned that my great grandfather was buried right by the road, not in a cemetery, way back then, and the county had to move him to a real burial site when they expanded the road. I even found a picture of him in his mining clothes! My niece in Ohio has taken up the slack and is doing further research. The only thing that really has me puzzled is I can't find a marriage certificate for my grandfather and grandmother (my dad's parents). I know he left them (deserted I should say) when my dad was a little boy, but way back then people didn't "live together" so there should be a marriage certificate somewhere. This is what Jessica, my niece, is searching for now. There is also a site called "find a grave.com." I found where family members are buried in Virginia and West Virginia. It's all really interesting!

D e v o n n e

3/17/2015 4:14 pm  #34

Thanks, Devonne!  Yep, I am famililar with both sites, and have "found" many family members there, both alive and deceased.   Very interesting!  And on both sides of the family, there is a big DNA quest going on with the males of the family name(s) to further determine origins and family relations.  I have found missing pieces of the puzzles, and it is always exciting! Very addictive, as well!  

All very interesting, and always a new story to discover.  Some of them wonderful stories, others very sad, many left to be discovered.  I have one 3x-great grandmother that I have been unable to find much information about and it is driving me crazy!  I won't stop digging!  

BTW...Ancestry.com "bought" Find A Grave, but I am sooo glad that they have left Find A Grave a "free" site!

Last edited by Mount-N-Mama (3/17/2015 4:16 pm)

3/19/2015 12:29 pm  #35

Dianne, I'm going to do some more "digging" this fall. I wish Ancestory.com was free, but alas, it isn't. I'm glad Find A Grave is still a free site too! My cousin in Virginia compiled a book of the Rowe family. That's my mother's maiden name. He sent my sister the book and she wasn't interested in any research, so she sent it to me. It's amazing how far back he went and there's a ton of old pictures in this book. I sometimes grin at some of the clothes they wore way back then and imagine how hot they must have been in those long dresses.

I'm almost finished with The Beach House. Not sure what my next book will be.

D e v o n n e

3/30/2015 10:20 pm  #36

Happy digging, Downsouth!  Like I said, it is very  addictive!  But look who I'm telling, right?  Lol! 

6/29/2015 11:53 pm  #37

I just finished:

1) Outlander - skipped some of the less desirable parts.  Not as graphic as the show.  I could have done without the last couple of episodes of season 1!!

2) The Inn Boonsboro series by Nora Roberts - okay, but not great.   But I still Had to read all three anyway!    

I'm currently reading a Debbie Macomber e- book.  Can't remember the name.  Next in line is a Michael Connelly book that DS recommends.

I'm THRILLED to be able to read again!    When I get my new glasses, I'm gonna try to thread a needle and see what happens!

Last edited by Mount-N-Mama (6/29/2015 11:55 pm)

Board footera