OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/03/2014 2:41 pm  #1

Recipe Thread - November 2014

I thought I'd start one thread for recipes, just like the old days!  

If you prefer to have individual threads, that's fine, but most seem to like one thread to keep up with.

I will copy and paste recipes already posted in our new home ( thanks, Ashley!) on Friday.

(((hugs!!!))) & prayers!     ~MnM~ aka Diane

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!" 

11/08/2014 4:22 pm  #2

Re: Recipe Thread - November 2014

PEANUT BUTTER "BUCKEYE" PRETZEL BITES
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 Tbls. softened butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
Pretzels (bowknot)
1 bag semi-sweet chocotale chips  (no size mentioned)

1.  Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
2.. Blend peanut butter and butter together.
3.  Add sugars and mix together until  very well blended.  You should be able to roll the mixture into balls without
     it sticking to your hands.  If needed, add more powdered sugar until you reach the consistency
     that is easy to roll.
4.  Roll the mixture into small balls, about 1 tsp. of mixture for each ball and place on the prepared baking
     sheet. 
5.  Sandwich the balls between two pretzels and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
6.  Melt the chocolate in a metal bowl over a pan of lightly simmering water. Stir occasionally until smooth
    and remove from heat.
7.  Dip each pretzel bite halfway into the melted chocolate and place back on the prepared baking sheet.
8.  Chill in refigerator until chocolate is set.

Last edited by indyanny (11/08/2014 4:23 pm)

11/10/2014 3:07 pm  #3

Copied and pasted the following recipe from Chlynn

GARLIC CHICKEN - CHLYNN1129

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 T brown sugar
4 garlic cloves ( I used 2 T minced garlic)
1 T oilDirections:
[list=1]
[*]Preheat oven to 450°F Line a baking dish or cookie sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat with cooking spray or lightly brush with oil.
[*]In small sauté pan, sauté garlic with the oil until tender.
[*]Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar. Add additional herbs and spices as desired.
[*]Place chicken breasts in a prepared baking dish and cover with the garlic and brown sugar mixture.
[*]Add salt and pepper to taste.
[*]Bake uncovered for 15-30 minutes, or until juices run clear. Cooking time will depend on the size and thickness of your chicken

Note: (Be aware that the brown sugar will turn really dark on the baking sheet.  This did not change the taste of the chicken.)

[/li
[/list]

11/10/2014 3:09 pm  #4

Copied and pasted the following links for recipes from Downsouth.  

DOWNSOUTH

Another crockpot recipe....adding pork tenderloin to my store list this week!

http://myfridgefood.com/recipes/entree-pork/sweet-slow-tenderloin/

I am making this recipe this weekend. I think it's something that Carter might like.

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/chicken/chicken-biscuits-crock-pot.html

11/23/2014 1:08 pm  #5

NEEDHAMS

1/2 cup (one cube) butter
3/4 cup mashed potato
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
2 - 1# packages confectioner's sugar
l large pkg (14-16oz) shredded sweetened coconut

Melt butter, add mashed potato, salt, vanilla, sugar, mix thoroughly.  Add coconut.  Spread on cookie sheet, allow to harden in refrigerator.  Cut in squares (usually about 3" square - if you have small children, you may want them smaller but may need to make additional chocolate for dipping).

Melt together: 1-12 oz pkg chocolate chips, 4-1 oz squares of unsweetened chocolate and 1/2 cake of paraffin.  You may wish to use double boiler as the paraffin melts very slowly.

Dip squares of coconut mix into choc mix and allow to stand on waxed paper until firm.  Store in refrigerator. 

11/25/2014 5:59 pm  #6

Dill Pickle Soup
5 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 3/4 lbs. potatoes, peeled and quartered (I cut mine smaller)
2 cups chopped carrots
1 cup chopped dill pickles (about 3 large whole pickles)
1/2 cup  butter
1 cup flour
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
2 cups dill pickle juice
1 1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoing,  1/2 tsp table salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
In large pot combine broth, potatoes, carrots and butter.  Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender.  Add pickles and continue to simmer.
In medium bowl, stir together flour, sour cream, and water, making a paste.  Vigorously whisk sour cream mixture (2 Tbsp. at a time) into soup.
Add pickle juice, taste before adding other seasonings.  Cook 5 more minutes, serve immediately.

I did not add anymore salt and I couldn't find Old Bay seasoning.  I did not put in the cayenne pepper because I don't like it.  I would chop the pickles finer than I did.  You could also leave the pickles out and just use the juice.  It's really a nice creamy potato soup.

Sew Happy (Patty)
Northern Minnesota

12/31/2014 10:27 am  #7

Breakfast casserole

1 package crescent rolls
1 pound sausage, browned and drained
6-8 eggs, beaten
1.5 to 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Spray 9x13 inch pan, preheat oven to 350.
Roll out crescents onto bottom of pan, pinching edges to make one crust.
Top with sausage, then beaten eggs, top with cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Warms up great in microwave.

Note- it called for 6 eggs, but that seemed skimpy, so I added 2 more. I used 2 cups of cheese, and Ralph thought it was too much cheese, so I'll reduce that to 1 1/2 cups next time.

1/02/2015 8:18 pm  #8

Sounds good. How can you have too much cheese?

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

1/04/2015 1:25 pm  #9

forget where I found this recipe...might even have been here! anyway...made it for New Year's Eve and it was  a hit!!  Thought I'd share it..  I baked it...but you can do it in a crockpot also and keep it warm that way.. 

Baked Reuben DipIngredients
9 oz. sliced corned beef, diced
1 1/4 cup Swiss cheese, divided
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
1 cup sauerkraut, with some of the juice
Rye party bread or Rye Triscuits, for servingDirections
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.In a medium mixing bowl, combine the corned beef, 1 cup of Swiss cheese, cheddar cheese, Thousand Island dressing, and sauerkraut. Evenly spread the dip into a casserole dish, then sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of Swiss cheese. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through. Serve hot with Rye party bread or Triscuits.*Alternatively you can combine all of the ingredients in a crockpot and keep heated on low!

Last edited by Omma5 (1/04/2015 1:34 pm)

1/19/2015 8:08 am  #10

Crockpot bread pudding

8 slices bread, cubed
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Put cubed bread into greased 3 qt crockpot. In a bowl beat eggs and milk, stir in sugar, butter, raisins and cinnamon. Pour over bread, stir. Cook one hour on high, then reduce to low and cook 3-4 hours.

I used honey wheat bread, because that's what I had, and it worked out really well.

1/19/2015 12:38 pm  #11

GLUTEN-FREE BROWNIES

Ingredients:
1 - 15 1/2oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
3 eggs
3 T. veg oil
4 T. cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar

Mix ingredients together in blender/food processer until pureed.
Stir in choc chip, nuts, or leave plain.
Pour into greased 8 x 8 pan.
Bake at 350* for approx. 30 min.
Let cool completely before cutting.

2/07/2015 11:14 am  #12

ITALIAN GARLIC POTATOES

1.  In a large rectangular baking dish, glass or aluminum (I line with non-stick alum. foil for easier cleanup later), add vegetable oil, about a quarter inch, and several garlic cloves crushed.  I just flatten out the garlic under the side of a knife blade.  If you like garlic, crush 10 or 12, if you don't like it so much, maybe 3 or 4 will work for you.   Put the baking dish in the warming-up oven while it preheats to 375*F.
2.  Peel several Russet potatoes, I usually peel 8 or 9  med ones.   (about 6 servings)
3.  Wash, dry with paper towels, then cut them in half lenthwise on a cutting board, then slice them a quarter-inch or so thick so they look like half moons.
4.  Bring the baking pan to the cutting board or the top of the stove and add your potatoes and stir them around so they get coated with oil.  After each few taters are added, sprinkle with more garlic pepper, season salt of your choice, salt and ground black pepper.  Keep adding your sliced potatoes. The idea is to get all the potatoes coated with oil and seasoning.   At the end, just add about 4 or 5 pats of butter on top of the pile and swish the taters around again.  
5.  Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for around 45-60 mins, depending on when they get tender.  Every 10 or 15 mins swish those taters around in their pan.  I raise the temp to 400*F after 40-45 mins to brown them a bit.
When done, I ladle them out with a slotted spoon.
Salt and pepper to taste when serving, if needed.

Remember, the flavor is up to you.  While baking add more garlic pepper when you swish them around,  if you like that flavor, a bit of hot pepper if you want a bit of zing, more black pepper if that's your preference.  
I reserve leftovers, with their oil to keep the taters flavored,  in a sealed container in the fridge and use them for later meals. Just zap them in the micro for  60 or 90 seconds.  Tasty even as leftovers.
If you are counting calories, you could let them drain on paper towels just before serving but believe me, the garlicky oil adds such good flavor.  My in-laws never counted calories and when I make these, neither do I.
Picture posted on Snapfish

edited to add Russet  and again for spelling error.  Ooops.

Last edited by quiltbea (2/09/2015 2:15 pm)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

2/09/2015 12:09 pm  #13

mmmm, sounds good QB, haven't cooked since x-mas, just don't have the energy

2/26/2015 3:57 pm  #14

Yum!  Quiltbea those potatoes sound yummy!  I gotta try that recipe!  I use a lot of fresh garlic around here, and I always run mine through a garlic press.  Messy?  Yes!  But we love the full flavor of the oily, sticky mess of minced/pressed garlic!   Lol!  

Sprmom, I hope you feel like cooking soon!  (((hugs!)))

(((hugs!!!))) & prayers!     ~MnM~ aka Diane

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!" 

3/19/2015 8:12 am  #15

Hope this bumps to the first page.

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

4/07/2015 9:03 am  #16

Pineapple Stuffing

1 stick butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 can (1 lb, 4 oz) crushed pineapple, with juice
4 eggs
8-10 slices bread, ripped into pieces

Mix softened (I soften it in the microwave) butter and sugar. Add eggs,
stir. Add pineapple in juice, fold in bread.
Grease 2 quart dish (disposable foil dishes are good). Bake at 350 for 45
minutes, uncovered.

Four 14 people, you might want to double the recipe. It warms up
wonderfully, if you're luck enough to have leftovers.

4/28/2015 10:38 am  #17

Crockpot Meatloaf:

Ground beef I use ~ 1.5 lb because I have 2 teen boys!
 1/4 pkg lipton onion soup mix
6-8 ritz crackers crumbled
Worchestershire sauce, as desired

Combine ingredients.

Spray crockpot with Pam

Put crockpot on low cook 6-8 hours

2 cans cream soup, I like celery and mushroom!  Put over meatloaf about 1-2 hours before serving!

Soups makes a great gravy we put it over rice.

4/28/2015 10:44 am  #18

HoBo Dinners

Ground beef
1/4-1/3 pkg Lipton Onion soup mix
6-8 Ritz crackers
Worchestershire sauce
salt & pepper
butter
6-8 potatoes sliced
carrots sliced
Onion(s) sliced

Conmbine 1st 4 ingredients.  Make patties.

Tinfoil:
Spray tinfoil, put a pat of butter, layer potatoes, carrots, onion, Salt & pepper, pattie, onion, carrots, potatoes, seal, do this for each meal, make sure potatoes and carrots are first and last in each package since they take the longest to cook.

Grill for about 45 min.

Oven: 375 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  Place on tray in the oven in the event the tin foil tears it will leak on the tray and not your oven!

6/06/2015 9:40 am  #19

PEANUT BUTTER BALLS,   AKA   BUCKEYES

3/4 Cup Margarine or Butter (1 1/2 sticks).  (Personally, I think they taste better with real butter).
18 oz. jar Creamy Peanut Butter (A little more p.b. doesn't harm the candy.  I may use around 20 oz. of a larger jar of p. butter)
1 Lb. Confectioner's Sugar (Powdered Sugar)
12 oz. bag Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bits
(Makes about 6 dozen or more depending on how large you roll them).

Put the butter and peanut butter in a bowl and cream them together well with wooden spoon so they are blended.
Add the Confectioner's Sugar and with a wooden spoon,  mix that together.  When ready, it should look a bit chunky and not quite blended in completely. 
Form into small balls by rolling them in the palm of your hand til they are smooth and round.
Place on waxed paper on cookie sheets, not touching.
Place cookie sheets in the fridge at least 30 mins to chill
Melt 1/4 piece of parafin wax in a double boiler.
Add 12 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bits.  Melt together til smooth.
Leaving pan on low heat, dip your balls into the choc.   I use 2 forks for this procedure.
Lift each ball and lay on waxed paper on a cookie sheet, not touching.
Note:  I usually toss 4 balls into the choc. at once and roll them around to cover then lift out one at a time between the tines of 2 dinner forks, giving them a little shake to release the excess chocolate back into the pan..
If you want to decorate with colored sugers or sprinkles, do it right away when laid on the cookie sheet so they can adhere.  You can wait a few seconds before sprinkling with powdered sugar if that's what you desire instead.  Or just leave them, as is.  They don't need anything else to make them yum yum tasty.
Put cookie sheets in fridge to chill.  When they are firm, you can put them into baggies and keep in fridge for several days.

Last edited by quiltbea (6/06/2015 10:07 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

6/17/2015 9:35 am  #20

Salsa Verde Chicken

2 pounds trimmed, boneless, skinless chichen thighs (cut into chunks)

1 ounce packet taco seasoning mix  (they suggested less sodium)

1 16 ounce jar salsa verde

chopped cilantro and diced avocado for garnish

In large bowl combine chicken and seasoning mix  (I massage the chicken with it) toss to coat.  Arrange in 4 quart or larger slow cooker.  Spoon
salsa verde over chicken.  Cook low 7 hours and serve over rice.  (I put a dollop of sour cream on mine when I served it.)  Also, I didn't bother with the
cilantro or avocado.

Board footera