OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/07/2024 3:52 am  #1

ODT SUNDAY JULY 14 ~ SAT JULY 20

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

7/13/2024 11:18 pm  #2

Re: ODT SUNDAY JULY 14 ~ SAT JULY 20

I hope you all have a wonderful day surrounded by those you love, or at least with phone calls/texts from those you love!  Life is short, life is precious, so hold tight to your loved ones! I have many reasons to be thankful and grateful, and I truly am. 🙏🏻

J has improved a bit more, ❤️ but is still very weak and still in the hospital.  I don't remember if I mentioned it, but she has been moved to a different facility, a critical care hospital. She's one tough woman!  Continued prayers are greatly appreciated, thank you!

I've been fitted for new lenses and should get them Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm hoping they help immensely! 🙏🏻

Have a wonderful week!

PS -  yes, Holly, I heard, as I'm sure we all have. 🫤  Very unsettling!  Sad, scary, crazy, uncalled for!  Thank God he's okay! 🙏🏻  My heart goes out to the family members of the deceased, as well as those who were injured! 🙏🏻

(((hugs!!!))) & prayers!     ~MnM~ aka Diane

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!" 

7/14/2024 3:49 am  #3

DIANE yes, we do need to hug those nearest and dearest, life is too short indeed!

HOLLY I think everyone has heard the news by now, it's been all over our news. I am sorry for those injured, so sad! 

SANDRA hope you continue to feel better, not fun when you aren't feeling fantastic, you keep on and no complaining ((((hugs))))

​INDY & JANET I feel as you both do, I did however love that my family who have quilts have put them to good use, I have some for 'keeping' but I love that they use and are proud to show off the ones I give. I made one for friend of Megan & Gary, she proudly told me they have never used it - I would rathe they had, no point in hanging on to it. She thought it was too precious to use, she showed Megan one tome, the arm quit I made for Dean as a baby, it's well used and loved LOL

CAROL YIPPEE so happy to hear you have power, I guess you have a big lot of food to dispose of as well, Im glad you have some cooler rooms to sleep, and not lay on the floor, as well as being able to care for your baby with his insulin ((((hugs))))

DEVONNE the grapevine works well with news!! I will post a few pics of the menu they had, it was quite extensive, it looks so good, we could do it before we go away, but just don't have time, it must be something here, although I have had it on a cruise ship. 

I might have to juggle some appointments for the funeral, we'll be told ASAP, but our final week at home is pretty heavily booked so there will have to be some changes. All our school friends group have now been told about Graham, we have all known him for so long, they were married young, only 19/20 yrs old, so have been together for a long time, there may have to be an inquest, as he died in the street, and police were called. Depends on the Dr and if he will sign the certificate. If there is an inquest we may miss the funeral, I do hope not. 

W went to  his presentation for Bowls today, he was gone from 11.30 and just got home at 6pm, I'm glad I didn't go, he got a silver medal, so he's pretty happy LOL and a cash payment which covered his costs today - so another win!!

It's been quite cold here today, very cold wind all day. I have had the A/C on all day, nice and toasty now in the house, soon it will go off, won't be too long till I go to bed, couldn't sleep last night, worrying about Denise, so hopefully will catch up tonight.

Last edited by tricia-anne (7/14/2024 3:52 am)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

7/14/2024 7:48 am  #4

We’re under a heat advisory from Monday to Wednesday, yikes! Add that to construction on the main road to the next town! 
Carol, yay for power! I hope you can get the generator soon! Is Bailey named for Dr Bailey on Grey’s Anatomy? 
Jamet, I remember when you put all the time and money into the double wedding ring and it was barely acknowledged. Is she like that with everybody or is it just you? 
I’m picky about who gets gifted quilts. My kids and grandkids love theirs. Donna cried when she got one. Nephew Mike tells me frequently how he uses his denim on on his couch all the time. The other side of the family is another story, so they get none. 
Lunch today is Longhorn. F and C are cruising Baltimore to Greenland next month- 8 sea days! Yikes! 

7/14/2024 9:42 am  #5

Today is a TV day for me. I will do a few things around the house just so I won't be sitting all day.  

Diane, keep giving us good news about J!

Holly, why aren't you ready to cruise? Billy was against cruising; said he couldn't hop in his vehicle and go, lol.  After a few cruises without him, he decided to give it a try. Couldn't keep him off a cruise ship after that, lol. 

About quilts, what do quilters do with the crazy quilt blocks where they add all the embellishments like jewelry, pins, lace? Do they hang or frame them?

D e v o n n e

7/14/2024 10:01 am  #6

WE TOO ARE HAVING A 3-DAY HEAT WATCH.  FOR US ITS 90 TO 93 FOR THESE 3 DAYS BUT NITES IN THE 70S SO WE CAN COPE PRETTY WELL.  

DIANE.....GOOD NEWS FOR J WITH HER FEELING BETTER, THANK GOODNESS.
AND YOU, TOO, GETTING YOUR NEW GLASSES THIS WEEK.  HOPE THEY WORK THEIR MAGIC.

TRISH.......CONGRATS TO WARWICK WINNING HIS SILVER MEDAL.  I KNOW HE MUST BE THRILLED.  
I HOPE THINGS WORK OUT FOR YOU SO THAT YOU CAN BE THERE FOR YOUR GOOD FRIEND AT HER DH'S FUNERAL.  WHAT A SHOCK FOR EVERYONE.

DEVONNE......AS FOR CRAZY QUILTS, I THOUGHT THAT AS WELL. WHAT TO DO WITH THEM.  OF COURSE, AS WALLHANGINGS TO KEEP THEM SAFE.  I PERSONALLY DO NOT BOTHER MAKING CRAZY BLOCKS ANY MORE.  MADE THEM USUALLY FOR A SWAP WITH THE GROUP ON HGTV.  I HAVE ONE THAT IS MADE INTO A THROW PILLOW THAT'S NEVER USED, JUST PLACED ATOP THE SOFA BACK.  

JANET......WOW, THAT WAS SURELY SO MEAN ABOUT YOUR QUILTS FOR THE GRANDSONS.  I CAN UNDERSTAND YOUR NOT WANTING TO MAKE THEM MORE.
MOST FOLKS WHO GOT MINE USED THEM ON THEIR BEDS OR IF THEY WERE SNUGGLERS, WHILE WATCHING TV ON THE SOFA, AND THE KIDS' PILLOW-QUILTS WERE WELL LOVED AND USED THRU THEIR YOUNG YEARS.  I WAS MUCH THANKED SO I GUESS MY FAMILY WERE THE THOUGHTFUL KIND.

ITS MY DAY OF REST TODAY.  I PLANNED TO MAKE A CASSEROLE BUT ITS SO DARN HOT I DON'T WANT TO BOTHER WITH THE OVEN TODAY SO THE DEFROSTED CHICKEN BREAST CAN BE SERVED WITH A SALAD AND COTTAGE CHEESE TODAY.  FOR LUNCH ITS LEFTOVER PIZZA FROM LAST NITE.  ONE NEIGHBOR TEXTED SHE LOVED THE TACO-SEASONED GROUND BEEF ON HERS.  I GUESS THAT MEANS I WILL USE THAT AGAIN IN FUTURE.  I LOVED IT AS WELL.

THAT'S IT LADIES FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY.  STAY SAFE.  STAY COOL.  DON'T OVERDO ANYTHING AND EAT WELL.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (7/14/2024 10:13 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

7/14/2024 11:43 am  #7

Holly-you have a good memory. It’s just us and my DD and sonIL. She will no doubt one day write a book entitled. How I treated my in-laws like sh*t and still in inherited millions.
Devonne… there are basically two types of CQs…embroidered and encrusted
. The encrusted ones have beads , buttons etc which are usually wall hanging, small purses, sachets, etc where as the regular ones can be used for most anything. I have made several blocks that are somewhere in between. Once done, they will go into a wall hanging.
We are in a 3 days heat advisory too.

Last edited by tricia-anne (7/14/2024 6:30 pm)

7/14/2024 2:07 pm  #8

Tracy, thanks for the news on Frank and BJ.  Sending prayers for a speedy recovery for you all.

In my opinion, quilts are not appreciated for the work that goes into them.  My grandkids like their quilts but would rather use those very soft fuzzy throw blankets.  Amelia uses hers occasionally but usually grabs a soft one too.  Dean uses a tshirt quilt that I made him all the time; it drapes over his armchair.  So, I don't gift them any more, just make quilt child sized ones for charity.  I like to make them more anyway, so all is well.

It is extremely hot and humid today.  We walked early this morning and then had to clean out the camper totally as it sold to the first person who looked at it this morning.  I did not realize how much stuff was left in it because I thought we took most of it out earlier.  I took all the cooking pots, plates, etc to the local thrift shop and donated.  We will not use that stuff now.  Also lots of towels, sheets, 2 (yes 2) toasters , electric skillet, lots of coffee cups and mugs.  All gone now!!
I told Dean that it would sell quickly but he thought it would take weeks.  Listed yesterday and sold this morning.

I have been busy since I did not want to turn on the TV.  Will do some sewing later as I need to trim and then bind my latest quilt.

Nothing else for me, so wishing you all a good day.

Last edited by Chlynn1129 (7/14/2024 2:07 pm)

7/14/2024 4:32 pm  #9

We’re getting ready to sell our Rav…Hope it sells as fast as your camper, Cheryl.

Just about done with another quilt. Just have to add the second border and off it goes to the LAs. They have 3, this will make 4. I’m ahead of schedule, lol. 3 were UFOs from past retreats and one wasn’t.
A few days ago someone mentioned mushrooms. I don’t eat mushrooms nor will I eat anything that has been made with mushrooms. I used to eat them raw, cooked but not in many many years.
There’s a story of course but I’ll spare you since some enjoy them.
Another thing I don’t eat is bananas. I can’t even stand the smell. DH loves them and eats one or 2 every day. I make him put the peels in a baggie before he puts it in the kitchen garbage can.

Last edited by tricia-anne (7/14/2024 6:30 pm)

7/14/2024 6:50 pm  #10

CHERYL that was a fast sale, they sell quickly here too, so do cars JANET, seems to be a sellers market for this things. People want to go camping nowadays, I still want my hotels LOL - funny how you think you have everything cleared out, Megan's van ist all of stuff, I think she would sell with it all, rather than clear it out. It was bought for the van use only, so save the time and hope the new owners would take it, they aren't planning on selling any time soon though.

JANET nope, don't share, I suspect what you think LOL but I don't care. I do love them (mushrooms) I only like my bananas barely ripe, I often throw them out, the Mr won't eat them too ripe either, although they say they are better for you.

DEVONNE a TV day sounds peaceful, I need one of those, although not much on TV here I am interested in. I'd have to stream something from my iPad, I just got billed =19.5pxfor my annual subscription to Britbox, better make use of it. 

SANDRA that is quite hot, you have had a fair few days like that, going dow to 70s is good though. I hope it's not a sign for us LOL I dislike the heat, SO why are we going to the northern hemisphere in summer?? We are crazy, I will miss some of winter, which I would rather have than summer LOL  It is cooler there now though, seems like they are having quite a cool wet summer.

Hoping BJ and FRANK are getting better, best place for them, but I'm sure they are fretting about being home.

HOLLY I am looking forward to our cruise in Dec. are you concerned about getting sick, I think they are no worse than they've always been for germ spreading. Hope F & C have a good time.

I haven't had the news on, but saw a report on my iPad that Shannen Doughty died, she was in Beverly Hills 90210 and Charmed, only 53.

I got all our documents last Friday, got our seats chosen and paid for, I dislike that this airline (or probably travel agent ) don't add the seat selection as part of the air fare, It didn't take that long to do it - after having the agent change the booking to my email. I'm sure a lot of people would like the option to select, or choose a lower fare and take what's given.

Just added some PAYG money to my mobile account, I need it to travel, I can call most places free from here, and also hope to use hotel wifi.

Another gorgeous day outside, just cold LOL it is winter after all, funny it's colder now that is was before the winter solstice! We were down to 30 this morning.

I need to get moving on the washing and cleaning, see you later.

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

7/14/2024 8:45 pm  #11

Devonne and Trish, I’m afraid of Covid. I’ve managed to not get it, knock on wood, and want to keep it that way. If and when we do cruise again, it would either be Alaska again or Canada/New England again. We don’t do heat. 

Longhorn had a new dish, a garlic lemon chicken. c and I both got it and liked it. 

Manda’s puppy, Huckleberry, was in the animal ER again, they thought she ate a grape. Who knew grapes, raisins and currants are toxic to dogs, especially puppies. Luckily she’s fine, they check liver levels 3 days in a row. 

7/15/2024 4:34 am  #12

My mushroom dislike is not what you think. lol
Trish- DH likes his bananas on the under ripe, green side, too.   
Holly- put chocolate on the list too. DD’s dog once ate an entire box of Whitmans samplers. Had to have her stomach pumped, poor thing, they thought she was a goner.

7/15/2024 7:58 am  #13

Janet, I knew about chocolate, grapes were news to me. 

Pickles cartoon. Earl says, “I had a meatloaf sandwich with ketchup and mustard. It was awful.” Opal says, “That wasn’t meatloaf. It was pumpkin bread.” A funny start to the morning. 

No big plans for the day. Change the sheets, wash the dirty ones. Stay inside where it’s cool. Figure out what’s for dinner, the eternal question. Read my book, work on the cross stitch. 

7/15/2024 9:00 am  #14

HOLLY.....THANKS FOR THE SMILE THIS MORNING.  A GREAT WAY TO START MY DAY.

ANOTHER HOT ONE HERE.  SHOULD REACH 91.  I DO NOT NEED ANY TRIPS OUTDOORS SO I WILL STAY IN WHERE ITS NICE AND COOL.  AND NO HOT OVEN TODAY EITHER.
I PLAN TO MAKE FRENCH TOAST FOR LUNCH AND THEN FOR SUPPER SOME CHICKEN BAKED IN THE TOASTER OVEN, MASHED POTATOES, AND CORN ON THE COB.  MMMM SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.

NOTHING REALLY EXCITING HERE.  THE FIRE ALARM BLARED ONCE LAST NITE AROUND 10:30 AND THE FLASHING LIGHT IN MY BEDROOM CONTINUED FOR NEARLY AN HOUR BEFORE IT WAS OFF.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT MADE IT HAPPEN.  I HAD JUST CHANGED INTO MY NITE RAIL BEFORE THE ALARM SO HURRIEDLY GRABBED A DRESS FROM THE CLOSET TO POP ON IN CASE I HAD TO LEAVE THE APT.  DIDN'T.  I JUST CONTINUED TO WATCH TV AND PUT MY SLEEP MASK HALF OVER THE LEFT SIDE OF MY FACE TO KEEP THE FLASHING LIGHT FROM INTERFERING.  IT WORKED.  SO YOU SEE, THERE IS EXCITEMENT IN MY LIFE NOW AND THEN.  LOL.

I ORDERED AN EGG CUP SET (2) YESTERDAY.  ONE WITH AN EGG CUTTER AND SPOONS.  I BROKE MY TREASURED EGG CUP SOME YEARS AGO AND NOW AND THEN USE A SHOT GLASS WHICH IS OK BUT NOT THE BEST WAY TO EAT A SOFT-BOILED EGG.  IT WILL BE NICE TO HAVE THE SET.

WISHING YOU ALL A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (7/15/2024 9:01 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

7/15/2024 3:32 pm  #15

News Flash! BJ and Frank are both home! Yay!

7/15/2024 3:39 pm  #16

Oh, great news, Holly!  I was just thinking about them and wondering whether anyone had any news.  

We're hanging in there.  Lots of cleanup.  I'm working with my new chainsaw to deal with the smaller branches.  We decided to have the last two crepe myrtles cut down before the next storm.  So, they'll be back tomorrow.  Spending money that we thankfully have but had planned on using elsewhere.  Oh well, that's what savings are for, right?  Replacing some of the lost food, but not all of it.  No point in putting lots of meat in the freezer at this point.

I'm just really amazed at people.  We have power crews here from all over the country.  Some have been threatened, and one staging area had to be evacuated because of a bomb threat.  Then there was a picture yesterday of several dozen women lined up at the staging area asking the linemen for their laundry so that they could take it home and return with clean clothes and meals for them.  Such a dichotomy in the way people act.  

Hoping Trish's travel plans are still going well.  

Sandra, those late night warnings can be unsettling.  Glad it wasn't anything serious. 

Cheryl, congratulations on the quick sale.  

Janet, you are one busy quilter.  Good for you.  I'm slogging along with a couple of projects.  

Back later.  The tree people just arrived. 

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

7/15/2024 5:11 pm  #17

=26pxCarol, that’s nuts that someone would threaten people that are getting them electric! Ed works for the electric company, but not as a lineman. He said when trucks are restoring power, people will stop and drop off bags of fast food, or pizza to them. 

Last edited by tricia-anne (7/16/2024 3:59 am)

7/15/2024 6:27 pm  #18

Here’s a cute Facebook story. A couple days ago, someone posted that their banded pigeon hadn’t come home, and would everyone keep an eye out. It was posted to our town chat and shared to the next town. Last night someone posted that they saw a banded pigeon in a parking lot eating with other pigeons, and posted a pic. Owner rushed there, and got their pigeon back! It made us so happy to read that. LOL, we lead a dull life, doesn’t take much to make us happy.

7/15/2024 7:02 pm  #19

Trish, so sorry about your friend, Graham. A sudden death is such a shock but I personally think it is better than a long, painful drawn out one.

Janet, good luck on selling the RAV.  I would think that it will sell fast too.  Toyotas hold their value and usually go pretty fast.  Hooray for you for getting some UFO finished.  I have just a few left to do.  Mostly quilting as it is not my favorite thing to do.  I would rather piece.

My mom would not eat mushrooms because of where they are grown!    She did eat one or two of the morels that my uncle picked because they are grown at the base of trees.

Holly, poor Huckleberry!  Yes, lots of food and household products are very toxic to dogs.  Funny pigeon story!  We had one story on the news here about a little donkey who ran away.  They found him 5 years later living with a herd of elk. It must have been out west cause I don't think Ohio has wild elk.   Animals can be amazing.  I support a local charity called Save a Momma Dog and they showed a photo of a momma dog feeding three little puppies and two little kittens.  After they ate, she was grooming them all.  They save abandoned pregnant dogs, take care of them till the puppies can be adopted and then try to find a home for the momma.

7/16/2024 3:59 am  #20

What good news that BJ and FRANK are home, they will be happy, hope they continue to recover quickly ((((hugs))))

SANDRA too hot!!!! you have had more hot days than usual, we are having cold days, so sorry about the alarm, it's awful being woken, for those who were asleep, that would be me LOL  Good thinking to get a dress ready in case. Hope tonight is better for you!

HOLLY I think you have just as much chance of getting covid going out anywhere, I've had it 3 times now, the 'flu is worse here, and people don't have to isolate, with anything. Good to hear the pup is OK. I love lemon chicken, often cook breast in a non stick with lemon zest on it.

Our Buddy didn't have a problem with chocolate, we knew he shouldn't have it, he was addicted to mint/choc cookies, choc coated with a mint cream inside, Dean was an addict too, he used to "share " LOL --  even before that I caught him coming out from under Megan's bed, she used to store excess teachers stuff, and forgot she had chocolates there as well (way before they were married ) Buddy had something around is mouth, little devil wouldn't let me see, I had to prise his mouth open he had been eating chocolates. Cleared his mouth as best I could, and he dived back under to get more LOL 

CAROL what a mess - no accounting for some people, they protest and complain, but if THEY are affected all hell lets lose WEIRD I'm glad you are getting those trees down, one thing less to worry about, isn't it always the way, you put aside for a rainy day, and it turns up regularly to drain the bank balance.

CHERYL and JANET that was what I thought about mushrooms, we have an old saying for some people "they are just mushrooms" - translation 'keep them in the dark and feed them sh## '  LOL 

It was so cold at training this morning, didn't get my jacket off till 1/2 way through LOL and it's been an icy wind all day, hopefully tomorrow will be less windy. The temps are not too bad, just the 'feels like' temp is a whole lot lower. the wind chill takes another 10-15F off that temp showing. Actually it's not as bad IF you can find a spot out of the wind.

Talked to my friend, the funeral is set for the Friday we leave, it's 2 1/2 hours each way, and it's unlikely we'll be able to go, it would mean taking a chance to get  home, and then straight to the airport. It all depends if they release the body as well, so may even be after we leave, it's hard not to be there, but as she said -  life goes on, and I will see her either next week, or as soon as we get home. She said there is so much happening every day, and she's not sure when she will be free, her kids are still with her, so she is OK, struggling, but still in shock I think.

I went to the store yesterday to pick up a few items, mostly some makeup 1/2 price to take with me, small sizes so I can take them onboard the flight, had to get milk as well  - got home - forgot the milk, today went after training -  Megan told me about some moisturising face foundation in the same range, grabbed some fruit, and the foundation AND no milk - again - she was down the store this afternoon and got me the milk LOL 3rd time lucky LOL

time to shut this down, stay cool and safe!

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

Board footera