OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/13/2024 11:31 am  #61

Re: ODT SUNDAY JULY 7 ~ SAT JULY 13

Sandra- that’s awful.  Short story here, I made my 1st grandson two quilts when he was born.  We went to visit and I gave them to his mother.  Later that day the one was in the dog crate.  When I said something she answered oh I guess the dog dragged it in there.  I didn’t know a dog could spread and smooth out a quilt.  The second one was never seen again. When I asked her about that one, (a week after giving it to her) she said I don’t remember it.  What did it look like. 

7/13/2024 1:50 pm  #62

Oh, Janet, how mean of her.  I was going to say, how thoughtless, but "mean" seems more like it.  

I've made lots of small quilts, wall hangings, and whatever and three, really 4 to give away.  One, for Grandson, Zakk from my collection of men's plaid shirt gleaned from garage sales.  After I got it done, and had used a old sheet, but appropriately colored, for a backing, I was afraid it wouldn't hold up.  Kept that one--"gave" it to Howard, so to speak.  I immediately made another, same pattern, different shirts, stronger back for Zakk.  Made a Quillow for my very small granddaughter using pink and purple fabrics, her favorite colors.  For my long-time old friend, Cheryl, I made a couch  quilt using batiks for her 70th birthday.  As soon as she saw it, she said, "an heirloom" and was delighted.  It always hangs on the back of her sectional which shows to the whole room.  By the time I should have made one for Andrew, I'd had my small stroke and just wasn't up to it.  ML told me, don't worry, Mom.  You don't need to...  She didn't want me to fret over it.  I do admire the generosity of so many of you in that endeavor. 
One last comment.  DIL, Pam's KY grandmother made beautiful tied quilts and she came home with one after a visit.  That was when I was babysitting one day, every week.  I discovered the quilt draped over a chair outside, wet from being rained on!    Being my DIL, when she got home, I carefully  but strongly urged her to take care of it and not let that happen again.  Hope she listened...

Tracy, thanks for the update on your parents.  Poor them and poor Rhonda.  Glad you can be there, once again for all of them.  Sounds like your dad has a captive audience and he's going to take advantage of that!  

We both like mushrooms.  I quartered mine and cooked them, as you do, Trish.  After marinating my few chicken tenders, simply, in olive oil, lemon juice, paprika, garlic powder, salt  & pepper, and sauteing those, I piled them and the mushrooms on a big gob of rice and it was all quite tasty and easy.  Tonight it's grilled salmon and now I'm going to look for something easy to have with it.   
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (7/13/2024 1:56 pm)

7/13/2024 4:29 pm  #63

Hi, all, from my beautiful air-conditioned house!  Wow, it has been a week.  Beryl was a Category 1 storm, but she sure made a mess.  So many downed trees and limbs and branches.  Some trees fell on houses, and of course, power went out for over 2 million people.  Response from government and power company were less than adequate.  The problem with these storms is that no one really knows where they are going.  A few days before Beryl got here, everyone kept telling us she was headed into northern Mexico/southern Texas.  Then she shifted.  Then she shifted again.  She became a hurricane after landfall which is very unusual.  One thing we all know here:  every storm is different.  

The two crepe myrtles we lost were in a narrow strip between the house and the driveway on the west side.  They gave great shade, but there has always been a concern about foundation damage, so it's really kind of a relief that they are gone.  I also removed two saplings.  The neighbor's roof is okay, so we're okay.  We also lost two huge limbs off the front yard oak tree.  

A young couple was here Wednesday working on people's trees, so we gave them $450 in cash to cut up the trees.  Since the trees were blocking our driveway, we had to get them done, so I'm just glad they were there.  Our neighbor came over this morning and helped me cut up some of the smaller crepe myrtle trunks.  I can do everything else with my cute little chainsaw.  It will take some days, but I'm not going much of anywhere.  

Gas stove let me cook several nights, but by Thursday I couldn't stand any more heat in the house.  We roamed around until we found an open restaurant with blessedly cool air and good food.  We also managed to find a bag of ice.  Friday we went to the coffee shop and found more ice on the way home.  My biggest concern was keeping Bailey's insulin cold.  The neighbors with the generator kept it, but I hated having to bother them four times a day to get it and then return it.  

I slept on the tile floor since it was cooler.  My body isn't as young as it used to be, so that was interesting.  Bailey could not understand why I was on the floor.  

We sat outside most of the mornings and late afternoons/  evenings where there was a tiny breeze and better light.  I read books and worked on applique blocks.   

After trying to find the least uncomfortable spot last night, I was about to drift off when I heard my alarm clock make a weird squeal.  I got up and turned on the light switch, and glory be, we had light!  I yelled at Glen to get up.  He was grumpy until he saw light and heard the A/C kick on. 

I put him in charge of cleaning out the refrigerator and freezer this morning while Robin and I cut up the small tree trunks.  Now we can get both cars out of the garage.  

So, it was an interesting odyssey.  Not one I want to repeat.  We're on a waiting list for the generator company to come out and assess what we need.  It will take some time, but we're going to be prepared.  

Okay, now I need to go find something that is still viable to eat. 

Thanks for all of the good thoughts and prayers.  I thought about all of you.  Thanks to Sandra for keeping everyone updated, and a big load of prayers for BJ and Frank. 

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

7/13/2024 5:45 pm  #64

News, not politics. Trump shot at rally, he’s ok but some in crowd not. 

7/13/2024 5:59 pm  #65

Tracy, so sorry about all the Covid & the other issues. Tell Mom & Dad we ask about them and send our love. 

Carol, welcome back to a/c! I hope you aren't very far down that list of getting a generator! What an ordeal for y'all!

Holly, Greg just called & told me this news. His best friend called and told him, lol. 

Janet, that is horrible but I have heard a lot of stories like this. Most people (who aren't quilters) don't respect nor take care of homemade quilts. I've seen them in barns, used on picnic tables, in dog pens, etc.

Trish, I had also never heard of a degustation meal or menu.

Theresa, hope you are not overdoing it with all that is going on with your mom and getting back to some normalcy in your life.

Last edited by DownSouth (7/13/2024 6:05 pm)

D e v o n n e

Board footera