OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

4/01/2024 2:46 am  #1

ODT SUNDAY APRIL 14 ~ SAT APRIL 20

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

4/13/2024 11:31 pm  #2

Re: ODT SUNDAY APRIL 14 ~ SAT APRIL 20

Bumping to the top.

I've had no time to read, but hope you are all well. DH is doing well, but still has a long road with wrist recovery. A lot of PT ahead. He had a 5-plate fusion, they harvested bone from his knee area, and the bone is still healing after the 9 pins were removed. The channels ot tunnels in which the pins were located still need to fill in. It will all be worth it in the end.

Lots more going on, but that's for another day.

Have a great week!

PS - this world is in such mess! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Last edited by tricia-anne (4/14/2024 12:18 am)

(((hugs!!!))) & prayers!     ~MnM~ aka Diane

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!" 

4/14/2024 12:17 am  #3

Hi all

THANK YOU DIANE, I am glad to hear DH is doing reasonably well, it does take a while to recover movement.

so sorry to be  missing, I got JANET'S cold, LOL not so much fun, although it was as much allergy as cold. Lots of fluid,  cold/flu pills and allergy pills. I am feeling better today
We've had a fair few take out meals while I didn't want to cook!!

SANDRA  I could have done with some chicken soup, just no energy to make some, so I am going to do that this week, and freeze it, so I will have it available when needed. I DID get caught up on reading, and watched a few of Death In Paradise, and Midwives. 

BJ so sorry about your glasses, did you find them?? Usually somewhere odd, I have found mine in a few odd places, now I keep spares. Even travel with 2 sets. Just in case!!

JANET how are you feeling, are you ready for camp. It will be a great experience!

DEVONNE do you have a lot of artwork on the walls, I got rid of most of mine, I do have 2 portraits of the kids when little, there are 3, I had them enlarged and framed, and Megan wants one of them.You know the kind, the ones taken at their pre-school, she wants the one with her holding her baby brother, she was 4 and he was 4 weeks! She remembers it well. I also have some paintings I got on a ship, Dianne and I bought them from an artist we liked. I think of her every time I see them.

INDY I hope you can get your computer fixed, we rely on them so much. So frustrating when they don't play nice!

STRINGS hoping you are coping OK with your eyes, have you been going out to breakfast a bit, it's something we don't do usually, except on trips, there are some nice places around here, we should go out more often

HOLLY I saw the pic of your work, such a lot of thread changes, what do you do when you change colour at the back, do you carry across, or weave in and cut off I used to be so fussy about the back of my tapestry, no idea why, you don't see the back LOL

CHARMING I didn't wish you HAPPY BIRTHDAY , so sorry it's late, and glad to see you.

PATTY sounds like you have lots on, do you have more retreats booked!! I guess with that cloud cover you didn't see much of the eclipse LOL

So many of you saw the eclipse  CHERYL your family must have had great views! Something for everyone to remember, was the traffic bad where they were?

We had a  tragedy here yesterday, a guy with a knife went on a rampage and killed people in one of the large malls. Just horrific, he killed 5 before they shot him, and one more died on route to hospital, maybe more could die. Apparently he had mental health issues, but he looked in control as he walked through the centre. A police woman confronted him - he kept advancing and she fired, then gave  him  CPR, I would have let him lie there. He seemed to target women and children, and walked away from a couple of men who confronted him, people must have been so scared. Their cars are still in the centre, and lots have phones bags etc in the centre as well, they all just ran, or went to shops who closed down their shutters.Thousands of people go to that mall. His first victim was a 9 month old baby, who does that ??? stabs a baby - she is still alive, but critical. Her mother is dead, her father was stabbed as well. 

I have been playing with fabric today, got all the fabric I bought cheap cut into fat 1/4s and cut batting to go with them, I want all the blocks for Quilt As You Go ready made  for retreat in May. So I'll have the Mondo bag, my temperature quit, and the QAYG to do. I can do all the quilting at camp, AND the hand sewing to attach the blocks. So I won't be sitting at a machine the whole time. 

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

4/14/2024 6:40 am  #4

Trish- I’d like to say I’m ready but being under the weather for days threw a wrench into my prep.  Back on track now.  I hope.

4/14/2024 8:37 am  #5

Another week beginning! 
Trish, I carry the thread across if it’s less than 10 squares away. If more, I cut it and begin again. My backs are a total mess, but oh well.

No big plans today, just lunch with F and C at Applebees. 

Janet and Trish, sorry you had colds. They can be miserable. 

Where’s Theresa? I hope everything is all right, it’s been several days. 

4/14/2024 8:51 am  #6

JONI.....IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A GREAT TRIP AND SAW LOTS OF FAMILY.  GOOD FOR YOU.  ITS NICE TO TOUCH BASE IN PERSON NOW AND THEN.

THERESA IS OK.  WE KEEP IN TOUCH SINCE WE BOTH HAVE SIMILAR HEALTH ISSUES.

DEVONNE........AS TO DECLUTTERING, I HAVE TO BEGIN MY SPRING CLEANING AND DECLUTTER AT THE SAME TIME.  I HAVE A FEW THINGS FOR MY DAU. WHEN SHE TAKES ME FOR MY HEART DR APPT ON THE 25TH.  I, TOO, NEED TO GET RID OF STUFF.  I HAVE TOO MUCH FOR THIS SMALL APT.

DIANE.....ITS GOOD TO HEAR YOU BOTH ARE HEALING AND DOING BETTER.  ALWAYS A GOOD THING.

TRISH.......HOW VERY SAD FOR THOSE PEOPLE AT THE MALL. NO WONDER I DO NOT WATCH THE NEWS REGULARLY.   SOON NO ONE WILL WANT TO VENTURE FROM THEIR OWN FRONT DOOR.  YOU NEVER CAN TELL IF YOU WILL BE COMING HOME SAFELY AGAIN. I AM SO SAD FOR THOSE FAMILIES. 
SO SORRY YOU HAVE BEEN FEELING SO AWFUL.  SOMETIMES A SIMPLE COLD CAN HIT HARD ENOUGH TO MAKE US MISERABLE FOR SEVERAL DAYS.  GLAD YOU ARE COPING, BUT OF COURSE YOU ARE.  WOMEN ALWAYS SEEM TO MANAGE SOMEHOW.
I JUST FINISHED A LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN BOOK, THE CAT WHO WENT BANANAS.  WILL START A RITA MAE BROWN ONE TODAY, FURMIDABLE FOES.  LOVE THE MYSTERIES WITH HELPFUL ANIMALS.

A NICE DAY HERE LADIES.  WILL HIT 60 TODAY AND SUNNY AND BRIGHT.  WINDOWS ARE OPEN FOR FRESH AIR.  FEELS SO GOOD.  NO PLANS FOR TODAY.  ITS SUNDAY SO MY DAY OF REST, UNLIKE THE REST OF THE WEEK WHEN ITS CLOSE TO MY DAY OF REST.  LOL.
I MADE THE CHICKEN RICE SOUP SO HAVE ENOUGH FOR TODAY TOO.  I WILL LOOK UP THAT CRACKER RECIPE, TOO.  I NEVER HAVE RITZ AROUND, BUT I HAVE CHEEZ-ITS AND HAVE USED IT FOR A TOPPING BEFORE.  ITS GOOD.

HAVE A GOOD DAY ALL.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (4/14/2024 9:05 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

4/14/2024 1:06 pm  #7

Holly, maybe Theresa had tickets to the Masters, lol? I would love to give those to Greg one day. They are hard to get. You have to enter a lottery.

Trish, how terrible! I've been watching the Masters or I would have heard about it. It's just beautiful in Augusta today, but a definite wind factor for the golf pros. I enjoy the scenery, it's so lush and green and the azaleas were beautiful. I also know a lot about golf because I have a golfer son, lol.

Trish, I am adding more wall art, starting with my bedroom. I like it a lot, as it looks more inviting and gives me something to look at besides a blank wall.  Moving some from the foyer to my bedroom. My foyer wall is so long. Don't know what to do there. Thinking about doing a gallery wall of nature pictures only, but they can look messy and be overwhelming if not done right. I'm watching YT videos about it. I guess some of you wonder why I even care or bother, lol! It gives me something to do and I enjoy it.

I made a mistake and didn't get a headboard to fit an adjustable bed frame. It has put so many marks on my wall...just leaning there, as it can't be attached. (Judy, this is why my bedroom can't be painted untiil I solve this problem.) I watched a lady on YT do a headboard using a long mirror. She only used the frame, glued short tree branches and it looked great. 

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday. I'm headed to Walmart, just to get out of the house mostly, but my fur babies need their dental stixs. They get one per day.

Greg got me this cup on the cruise. I love it. Those are overhead lights in the cup, lol. I got him a ship magnet for his fridge.

ETA: I will add to this post since no one else has posted since me. I never made it to Walmart. Decided to finish watching the Masters and give Gracie her bath. I want to groom them in the morning. I hope I can get Molly in to see the vet.

Last edited by DownSouth (4/14/2024 7:23 pm)

D e v o n n e

4/15/2024 9:26 am  #8

IT SURE IS SLOW ON THIS BOARD.

DEVONNE.......I HOPE YOU GET IN TO SEE THE VET WITH MOLLY.  

SUNNY AND BRIGHT HERE.  I HAVE SOME CLEANING TO DO TODAY, JUST A BIT.  FEELING A LITTLE OFF CENTER.  ITS A NICE DAY THOUGH.

HAVE A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

4/15/2024 9:41 am  #9

Good Morning to everyone!!  It is a bit cloudy here today and a mild breeze. It is 50*.  I'll just stay in today, not much to do.  Just took Frank his coffee.  One of my renters is due today, so will see her later or maybe she'll mail it.  Hard to say.

I really don't have anything to say today, so will just sign off, wishing you all a wonderful day, BJ.

4/15/2024 10:28 am  #10

78 and sunny here! We went food shopping. They are moving things to different aisles, I hate when they rearrange. The store was so crowded! 

Our trees suddenly have buds- must be all the rain last week. 

Anyone reading anything good?

4/15/2024 12:22 pm  #11

I'm here again.  We've spent all morning trying to get my stuff on the Chromebook.  And for now, the laptop I was using is staying on for Howard.  When it acts up, it shuts itself off at whim.  Then when you try to restart it, it tells you to leave it on for 2 hrs. before it will accept your password.  Well, good luck!  How do you do that when it keeps shutting off?    Actually, I need an icon that shows you pulling out your hair...

Have caught up reading.  Want to wish Joni a very belated birthday.  Your trip with the boys sounds wonderful. 
Lots of memories made!  

I feel sort of dopey.  While we were doing the computer change with a few "fireworks",  ML was texting and calling me.  We needed to get flowers or a plant for our dear old neighbor's funeral and she was sending me pics so we could choose together.  We ended up with a plant.  Something for one of the kids to keep, since the visitation is only for two hours before the service, Wednesday.  

Hope you found your glasses, BJ.  One does need them.  

Trish, sorry about the icky cold.  Who ever made us think a cold was a minor ailment?  Glad you're feeling better.   I heard about the mall tragedy, too.  I know it's true, but I do get a bit tired of the excuse "they had mental problems".    Am I too hard-hearted?  Maybe so...

We are having lovely spring weather with all the trees and flowers popping into bud/bloom and leaf.  It was 81 here yesterday...a bit cooler, today, but very sunny.  And, of course, Howard needs to mow! 

He's having some trouble with his inhaler with cortisone.  It's making him quite hoarse and is losing his voice altogether, some.  We made a call to the doctor's office last Thurs., and he suggested he lay off the inhaler for the weekend and call back today.  Well, the hoarseness is better, but his cough and wheezing are back and we're  waiting for a call back for the next order. 

I'd better close this and get something done.  Think we'll start up the grill and do some pork chops for supper.
I might try brining them.  Have never done that, but they're always so fatless and tough, anymore.  
Have a good day...
Indy  

Last edited by indyanny (4/15/2024 12:29 pm)

4/15/2024 12:40 pm  #12

Good morning, ladies! I thought I'd check in to say hi and wish you all a wonderful day!

It's much cooler today than yesterday and Saturday. and cloudy! The weekend was bright and sunny and warm for spring in the hills. Today is a bit more typical of an April day in Washington! 😉

Well, shoot! There goes the phone! Back later, if I can!

Last edited by tricia-anne (4/15/2024 3:36 pm)

(((hugs!!!))) & prayers!     ~MnM~ aka Diane

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!" 

4/15/2024 3:03 pm  #13

Afternoon y'all! 

I did not fall off the edge of the earth!  Some days I am ready to jump off the edge!  Just hyper busy!  Today, I have been dealing with mom's taxes!  The CPA has had the paperwork since February!  I am ready to scream.  Spent an hour this morning between calling her to find out what's going on and getting her the proof of information...  Was a phone call before now too hard? 

We went to Paducah, KY to see the eclipse.  Drove up to Vienna, IL to a park there to see the totality.  Worth the trip.  The whole family went.  We did a 5K walk while there and our t-shirts are being mailed to us.  We had fun! 

Thursday and Friday were spent getting Strawberries, 4 flats, and then making strawberry jam!  My canning friend came with me.  She is in a similar situation as me with parents.  We have decided our parents never had a plan for when they got old.  Fortunately, my mom has myself and hubby, we got her finances straight, and she is earning good interest on the "excess" money from the property sales, so she should be good for a few years.  Turns out her assisted living is tax deductible!  YAY!

Today, I had my dental cleaning and have to go back tomorrow, a tooth they were watching is getting worse, I can't even tell it's an issue, I guess that's good!  

Luke finally got the official letter from Acadia, National Park.  His start date is May 5th, start of a pay period!  We should be up there by the 4th, we can get him settled, get groceries and anything we forgot!  

I will spend the 5th at the park and head homeward the 6th, beyond that, no other plans have been made!  I can get there in 2 days easily, we are planning on drive 2 days and arrive in the morning of the third day.  My canning friend may go with me.  I hope so.  Driving home by myself will be boring! 

Right now everything is a scramble to get things done!  Mostly stuff for mom.  It's frustrating!  Once I get Luke to Acadia, I will focus on the VA stuff for mom, that has been a big mountain,  I have the forms just need to figure out what I need to do with them!  Also make an appointment with the local VA to push things along!  

I have to remind myself that a year ago, we still had a boatload of stuff to do for mom.  I have accomplished a good deal of it.  Once the VA stuff is done, I will have the, hopefully, last big thing done!

Weather is beautiful here.  Mid 80's, flowers all blooming, mostly my dwarf, Iris, and normal Iris.  The white of the normal bloomed first and the purples have started.  On the dwarf, it was the opposite, purple bloomed first followed by, the white.  Tulips and Jonquils are done, Azaleas almost done.  The ones I transplanted to the inside of the backyard fence, must love where they are, they are blooming beautifully this year.  Prior to this it was a bloom here and there, this year it was all over the bush!  

Need to go and prepare supper, that never ends does it?  

Later my Friends! 

4/15/2024 4:01 pm  #14

Good morning everyone!

Going to be a  beautiful day here I think, warm, then cool at night, just the way I like it LOL

BJ enjoy your day, did you find your glasses. Hope the renter comes by for a quick visit.

DEVONNE hope you got your baby to the vets OK, and that she is well. Always something with the dogs isn't it? The cup is so pretty, I am boring, mostly I have white everything, EXCEPT my mug with my name I take to sewing. The girls bought it for me for a birthday. 

SANDRA chicken soup today is on my list to do, I want it in the freezer if we need it. Hope the feeling goes away, as we get older we do get the wobbles more often (((hugs))) I got all my cleaning done yesterday, AND the washing!

INDY it's so frustrating getting new technology set up.  Hope you can get some help for Howard, the Mr had to change his inhaler a few times, he has another different one now, the last one also gave him a hoarse voice. That was a great idea for the plant, we did the same for our sewing friend, it was a lovely orchid.  The mental health system here is not good, they shut down the big hospital they had, it WAS awful, but it could have been kept and better utilised for these people. Just saying mental health is only half the problem --  some are using meth and other drugs, and also  homeless. Not all are prone to violence, and this guy seems to have fixated on knives and women, he was also off his medication and had moved from our northern state, so their health system is as bad sours, saying he wasn't really in need of care isn't enough. He'd slipped through the gaps, and no one had him on their radar.

THERESA so glad to hear about Luke, sounds like he is all sorted, it does take a while to get things done, and you have worked so long, pity the poor people who don't have a YOU to do it. My camellias are also doing well this year, must be all the rain, they are all blooming madly. The Susanqua are covered, a little too soon for the Japonicas

Yesterday was his sis's birthday, can't believe she is 79, she wasn't expected to live a long life, she has so many health issues, but she is also hard work LOL I got her clothing, some from us, some she paid for, I cut the bottoms off the pants and hemmed them, washed it all, we showed her, then took it to be labelled. She has all her washing now done in the nursing home as she has MRSA and they need to be vigilant. So the clothes won't last long looking good after being in the industrial washers/dryers. So hard to get things for her, she won't wear dark colours, and it's hard to get coloured trackpants .PLUS they have to be wide legged to fit over  her bandages. 

Today is training, then I have some sewing to do after I pick up my grocery order. I just did the order before logging on!
I love shopping like that, so quick and easy, and not being tempted by displays to buy extras.

Last edited by tricia-anne (4/15/2024 4:02 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

4/15/2024 6:01 pm  #15

Good day all.
Theresa, I love irises of all kinds.  I had a bed of them a few years back but the Iris Borer bug got to them.  I tried digging them up, cleaning the tubers with a bleach solution and replanting but they were back the next year so I gave up.  I just love all the spring flowers.

Trish, I saw the horrible knife attack on the news.  The world is truly in a dark place.  So sad.

We had some wicked lightening and dime sized hail last night but today it is sunny and warm.  The grass is getting so high that Dean has already mowed.  Lots and lots of rain this month.

4/15/2024 6:51 pm  #16

Theresa, glad that you’re ok and just busy. Paperwork can bury you!
Trish, the US mental health is a disaster. I’ve always blamed it on the prez who closed the mental hospitals, but Ralph always points out that there have been several prez’s, of both persuasions, since, and none of them has made any changes. 

Today is my brother Mike and his wife Donna’s 40th anniversary. I talked to him and texted her (she was at work). 

I made Stauffer’s veggie lasagna for dinner. It only comes in a huge tray, so we froze half of it after it baked. 

It was so warm today that after college classes Eddie and girlfriend Steph went down the shore! It’s only about a half hour drive for them. 

I asked Alexa what the elevation of my town is, it’s 118 feet. Heather’s town’s elevation is 15 feet! 

4/16/2024 5:43 am  #17

Judy- I’m sure you/he knows that it is super important to rinse and garlic when using cortisone inhalers…and not swallow. 
  I can’t wait til Thursday to get out of here.  Check in is 1pm but I plan to leave very early and get breakfast to go and just relax at the retreat by the lake, alone.

4/16/2024 10:16 am  #18

ITS A LOVELY SUNNY DAY HERE AND EXPECTING HIGH 60S TODAY.  LOVE IT.

I JUST HAD A POACHED EGG ON TOAST BRUNCH FOR MYSELF.  NOTHING SPECIAL PLANNED IN THE COOKING DEPT TODAY.  JUST SOMETHING FROM THE FREEZER.  I NEED TO CATCH UP ON MY READING.  I'M LAGGING BEHIND.

I WISH YOU ALL A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (4/16/2024 10:16 am)

4/16/2024 1:52 pm  #19

Yes, thanks Janet.  We did know that.  His new inhaler doesn't have cortisone, and an entirely different delivery system.  He ran to W-M alone this morning to pick it up, tried it when he got home, screwed it up and doesn't think he did it right.  Hope tomorrow goes better!    One thing I love with our "family" here, is all the info I would never know that you all provide.  It's helpful and sometimes vital.  

So...our latest difference of opinion is:  We've had a perfectly good and attractive flag pole attached to one of our porch posts for the 28 1/2 yrs. we've lived here.  Howard has yapped, off and on,  about a tall one  to erect in  the yard.  Unnecessary,  overki I l, hard to mow around, etc. but  I could never convince him, because he's "always wanted one".  Well, of course, he ordered and got one last week.  Went to Menard's for cement  this am and then had the nerve to ask me to come out and help him decide where to put it.    Nowhere really worked because of the necessary snow plowing in the winter.  (should have thought of that!)  So, he did pick the spot I thought was best and now he's worn himself out using a post hole digger and is only half done. More later.

I'm tired of butting heads over stuff like this.  And I'm sorry for airing it here for all the reasons we all know.
We do agree on the important things in life, thankfully.  But day to day?  I, Yi, Yi...  

Trish, you and Warwick have done a superb job of caring for his sister, despite the opposition sometimes even from her and  other family members.   Lots of work, lots of "trouble" but that's what we do.   Like the extraordinary job Theresa is still doing alone, except for Todd and her kids.  

Cheryl, I love the spring flowers, too.  My small rhododendren  (sp?) is blooming by the front step. (It was a gift given us by someone that Howard put together a computer for when we first moved here.)  It and the weeds are blooming away!  And the birds are outdoing themselves in volume.  Maybe it seems that way because we can sit on the front porch.  And...the ants have arrived in the kitchen!  Time to spray around the foundation...

I'd better go.  Time to bake some sweet potatoes, clean up the kitchen.  It's nice to have a computer again.
Indy  
PS.  My mom was born 106 yrs. ago, today.  

Last edited by indyanny (4/16/2024 1:57 pm)

4/17/2024 11:37 am  #20

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY.  I REALLY THINK SPRING HAS SPRUNG.

I LOOKED AROUND MY HOUSE AND SEE THAT I REALLY NEED TO DO SOME SERIOUS WEEDING OF THINGS.  I KEEP THINGS 'JUST IN CASE' I MIGHT WANT TO WEAR IT OR USE IT LATER.  BUT SOME I HAVEN'T TOUCHED FOR A FEW YEARS.  I THINK I NEED TO GIVE AWAY OR TOSS THEM OUT.  I AM PLANNING A GOOD SPRING CLEANING THIS YEAR.
AS FOR BOOKS, SOME OF THEM I LIKE TO REREAD.  I HAVE FAVORITE AUTHORS SO WILL KEEP THOSE BOOKS AS WELL AND THEN THERE'S THE QUILTING BOOKS.  I WEEDED THOSE OUT A COUPLE YEARS AGO SO I THINK I AM GOOD WITH THEM FOR A BIT LONGER.
EVEN MY KITCHEN CABINETS NEED A WEEDING.  I HAVE DISHES I HAVEN'T USED IN YEARS JUST TAKING UP SPACE.  I REALLY NEED TO GET INTO ACTION SO MY KIDS WON'T HAVE TO DO IT ALL WHEN I'M GONE. 
NOW FOR COOKING TODAY, I TOOK OUT A COUPLE THINGS TO DEFROST TO USE THE NEXT DAYS OR SO.  
ITS BINGO NITE SO THAT SHOULD BE FUN.

WISHING YOU ALL A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S  

Last edited by quiltbea (4/17/2024 11:39 am)

Board footera