OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/05/2023 10:41 am  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY DEC 3 ~ SAT DEC 9

Good Morning, I just love reading what everyone is doing.  It is raining this morning and 57*. Wow!!  Can't believe it is so warm.  Seems strange to have Christmas decorations up when it is so warm.  But they are beautiful!  

Have no plans for the day.  Believe Frank has his PT appt. this afternoon.  This may be his last one.  He went to Dr. yesterday and the cancer is gone!!!  WOW!!!  That is wonderful news.

Well, I have nothing more to say so will sign off, wishing you all well.  Have a wonderful day, Love, BJ.

12/05/2023 12:17 pm  #22

Yay for Frank! 
We went to lunch at Olive Garden, so good! 
I have an echo and a stress test tomorrow, not fun. 

12/05/2023 2:17 pm  #23

The luncheon was very nice.
Linda- you probably are familiar with the place…The Great 611 Steakhouse in Roanoke. Really good food. The waitress wasn’t ver nice but that being said, she had 18 of us and another group of 16 . Not easy.

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/05/2023 10:20 pm)

12/05/2023 2:22 pm  #24

OMG - when I left this morning our heat pump downstairs wasn’t working. I called and they said they’d send our regular guy to take care of it this afternoon. Well he just showed up but it’s not our regular. He looks like he’s 13. First thing he asked was “so what’s wrong with it?” Seriously? DH said, that’s what your supposed to figure out. Oh he says. Where is it? I felt like saying here it is in my pocket. Duh, where do they get these guys?

EDTA: so it seems the fan motor died. They have to order one. It may take til the end of the week to get the part and then schedule a day to install it. Hopefully that’s all it is. Hopefully it won’t get too cold. That’s the only level of the house that doesn’t have any auxiliary heat.

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/05/2023 10:21 pm)

12/05/2023 6:35 pm  #25

Today was a busy day...for us.  First, we dropped off and exchanged some books with a friend who's heading to Florida soon.  Then, we got RXs and groceries at W-M including some things for Bill and ML.  He's come down with Covid, too.  Lunch in the car from Chic-Fil-A and another stop at Beef Mart, before dropping off ML's stuff.  Then, home to put it all away and nap.  There's been an uptick in Covid around here and we want to stay home as much as possible.  We left ML's stuff on their front porch.

We woke up to a substantial covering of snow, but most of it melted  while we were gone.  As I was getting things out of the car, I heard for the first time, the neighbor's rooster crowing.  He sounded healthy and happy.  Well, I think he was happy.  

Janet, everyone looks 13 to me.  We go to a dentist where you get whoever they give you.  When mine came in a couple of weeks ago, even tho I'd never met him, I had to ask, "Are you fifteen?"  He never missed a beat and said, "thirteen and a half." ...and laughed, (with me).  Must have heard that more than once.  Glad you enjoyed your lunch and hope the heat pump is soon fixed.  

BJ, that is good news for Frank.  You sounded chipper this morning.  It's hard to keep your own appts. straight let alone anyone else's.  That's what your dandy girls are for!    It's supposed to start warming up here tomorrow and be near 60 by Friday.  I'll take it, Christmastime or not.  

With Bill and ML both sick, now, our Christmas gathering is really up in the air.  I suppose by then, they'll be feeling okay, but it surely makes any enthusiasm for it dulled.  Especially when you're waiting for the rest of the family to come up with their work schedules and availability.  
I may be repeating but Andrew has been invited to be the Plus One for a Notre Dame friend who accounting firm has rented the entire Museum of Natural History  (in Chicago) for their Christmas Party.  They'll eat their meal in the huge room where "SUE" the dinosaur is housed and then allowed the run of the rest of the museum  for the remainder of the evening.  This is Saturday night and he planned to stay over with his folks on Friday night on his way there.   That won't happen with them having Covid.  He could sleep here and I have the bed all changed but I'm not sure he'll want to do that.  Either way, he can't be around them and they are blue anyway about that, so I think I'll to stay out of it.  He can always stay in Chicago with someone or wait to go up there on Saturday morning.  

LInda, hope your appts., lunch with your sis, and all went well, today.  It is nice to treat someone, and yourselves at the same time.  

Holly, Olive Garden is always YUM!

Needing to go.  Not jumping into anything tonight, but need to catch up on the newspapers for two days.
Sweet Dreams. 
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (12/05/2023 6:36 pm)

12/05/2023 6:47 pm  #26

A question for Cheryl- I watch the show about the Colombus Zoo, and it shows the Wilds. I saw on their Facebook page that it’s a big tourist attraction. Is it any where near you, and have you been?

Judy, that sounds like a neat place for dinner and to explore! Lucky Andrew! 

Today the contractor insulated under the subfloor and around the windows, and placed more electrical outlets. The flooring is due to be delivered on Friday to the flooring store. 

Janet, do you do anything special for Hanukkah? 

12/05/2023 7:09 pm  #27

Not much sleep last night, so just a quick hi. Expecting an Amazon package soon, then I'll be headed to bed. It's only 8 pm so I will watch tv and hope I fall asleep earlier.

BJ, that is the BEST news anyone could ever receive!

I forgot to mention a few days ago if anyone is watching Virgin River on Netflix, there are new episodes.  

Last edited by DownSouth (12/05/2023 7:09 pm)

D e v o n n e

12/05/2023 10:05 pm  #28

It’s sort of a busy week for me. Sunday evening was our church holiday meal. Since I have decided I need to quit driving after dark, I didn’t go but the youth department fixes take out meals and delivers to members in my position. After the meal, a group went caroling and stopped at my house. It made a very nice evening for me.

Yesterday, in addition to regular money counting at church, the committee spent some time preparing offering envelopes for next year, putting names on boxes of envelopes and recording who has each number. By the time we were finished it was lunch time. The secretary and custodian ordered pizza for all of us. I had a couple of errands to do after that so by the time I got home, I didn’t want to start anything.

This morning, I made a Walmart run. This afternoon, I cooked a small turkey breast and made some dressing to go with it. The turkey and dressing I had in Mississippi were good but I love leftovers. I put several individual servings in the freezer. I also boiled the carcass and now have broth and turkey scraps in freezer to make some turkey soup later.

Tomorrow is my annual quilt shop trip with my guild. We all are trying to use up some of our stash so we decided to go to only one store and chose a favorite one that is about two hours away. We will also have lunch out. One of my friends is picking me up at 8, we should be back home by late afternoon.

Thursday, our pastor is taking the secretaries, the custodian, and the counting committee out for lunch. This is his way of showing appreciation for what we do.

I just realized as I typed this that many of my activities this week are centered on food!

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/05/2023 10:19 pm)

12/05/2023 10:38 pm  #29

Lots to catch up on!!

BJ I am so happy for you and FRANK that is great news!!

INDY you have a lot going on too! I hope you get to see Andrew, even a quick visit, it's still a while till Christmas, so they have plenty of time to recover, there is lots and lots of covid here too at the moment.
I love that museum, I guess they bring in tables and have it catered, I remember well where "Sue" is, one of our group was Sue as well, so lots of pics taken there.

MARYLOU it happens - food things to do everywhere, I have food stuff this week as well. I have my sewing group on Friday, then on Sunday, so need to decide on what to take for that. Fridays group we are going out the next week, but we do a fat 1/4 swap, so have to get a couple for both days.

JANET so sorry about the heat pump, hope you can get it fixed quickly, we are the opposite, hoping the a/c stays good, heat wave here, it was way too hot yesterday, I picked Dean up, he'd been at the beach all day with surf activities, and now he's at Bush Camp till the end of the week.  Mud runs, canoeing and lots of camping =19.5pxthe things, he loves that - but it's HOT and Megan is worried about snakes, they are about and will be at the camp site LOL He's not concerned, but she asked him to check his sleeping bag each night, and keep the cabin doors closed LOL

DEVONNE I hope Gary is OK, and he hears something soon, too awful that he has so many health issues ((((hugs))))) you need to have a few quiet days, you have been working non stop.

And SANDRA I hope you are getting some rest as well, too much to do right now, I am glad you are keeping going with your sewing, it really does keep us busy  and mentally occupied, you have lots of food to make, you will definitely not starve.

HOLLY sounds like it's now quiet at your place, you will miss them for a while, but I am thinking you might need a rest as well (((hugs)))

I have been to the Drs, my cholesterol is down, but because of pills, so he wants me to keep taking them, I was hoping that they really didn't make a difference, but they have done  -- a lot. I'm still cross 'cause the Mr can eat and drink whatever he wants - and he does - and his cholesterol, sugars etc are all perfect, it really comes down to genetics, because I KNOW I eat better and more carefully that he does LOL NOT FAIR!!!!

I got all my baskets filled and wrapped in clear cellophane, they look good. Pete just came back early, he will work from home, didn't get much sleep last night, so he wants an early night. 

We had salads and cold ham and boiled eggs last night, it's slightly cooler today, so I have some thin pork steaks to cook, we'll still have salads though. 

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

12/06/2023 8:50 am  #30

Hi!
Quick check in. Great news for Frank. Sorry about civic cases. We just drop off stuff when someone is in quarantine. My sis took her friend from lunch yesterday. She wouldn't let us get her lunch yesterday, but hope she lets me get her some gas this week. It will just be us today foe my appointment. Darrel has an appointment on Friday.
Yes G
Janet, very familiar with 611 Steam House. Haven't been in a long time. They used to have the best steaks and reasonable. Some steak places more expensive but not as good. The Gold wing group met their meeting there before pandemic.
Thinking of everyone. Prayers.........

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/07/2023 1:31 am)

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

12/06/2023 9:13 am  #31

Holly- the simple, short answer is no, not anymore. Without family around it’s simply not the same. We light the candles and sometimes I make some traditional dishes.

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/07/2023 1:31 am)

12/06/2023 10:26 am  #32

BABY, ITS COLD OUTSIDE.  MY HEATING FINALLY CAME ON WHEN IT DROPPED INTO THE TEENS LAST NITE.  TODAY MAY HIT 32 IF WE ARE LUCKY.  COLLLLLLD.  LUCKY ME I GET TO STAY INDOORS.

BJ.......WHAT WONDERFUL NEWS ABOUT FRANK BEING FREE OF THE BIG C.  I KNOW YOU MUST ALL BE THRILLED TO HEAR THAT.  NOW ITS JUST A MATTER OF COPING AND STAYING POSITIVE.

JUDY......SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT ML AND BILL HAVING COVID.  IT MAKES FOR SOME TOUGH TIMES AND HOLIDAY HANDLING.  I HOPE ANDREW FINDS A NICE FRIEND WITH WHOM HE CAN LODGE DURING HIS BIG NIGHT.  SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF FUN.

MARYLOU......HOW NICE OF YOUR PASTOR TAKING YOU ALL OUT TO EAT.  THAT'S A GOOD WAY TO SAY "THANK YOU" FOR ALL THE THINGS YOU DO FOR THE CHURCH.

HOLLY......ME, TOO, I WATCH THE ZOO SHOWS AND ONE IS ABOUT THE WILDS.  I LOVE THAT PROGRAM AND LOVE TO SEE THE ANIMALS LIVING LARGE IN COMPARATIVE FREEDOM BUT UNDER THE WATCHFUL EYES OF CARING VETS AND CARETAKERS.  I LOVE MY ANIMALS.

TRISH......I AGREE, ITS ALL IN THE GENES ON HOW WE GET SICK OR NOT AND HOW LONG WE LIVE.  SOMETIMES WE GET THE RIGHT COMBINATIONS AND SOMETIMES WE DON'T.  SORRY YOU HAVE TO TAKE PILLS TO KEEP YOU PRETTY NORMAL.  ITS THE GENES.  BUT ITS THANKFUL WE CAN BE THAT MODERN SCIENCE CAN GIVE UP HEALTHIER AND LONGER LIVES.

I GOT THE SURPRISE OF MY LIFE THIS MORNING.  A GIFT FROM OUR RESIDENT ARTIST. 

ITS TITLED 'FAMILY GATHERING' AND OF COURSE ITS MY FAVORITE WATER BIRD, LOONS.  I LOVE THE CALL THEY MAKE.  ITS SO BEAUTIFUL.  IT MEASURES 16 BY 20 INCHES.  I HAVE TO GET ONLINE LATER AND TRY TO FIND SOME PAINTING HANGING KIT WITH WIRE AND HOOKS.  THERE MUST BE SOME SOMEWHERE.
FUNNY THING IS THAT EARLIER I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE BORDER ON HER ARTIST WH AND DECIDED TO JUST MAKE IT SIMPLY BLACK WITH A BLACK BINDING.  I WILL USE A NICE BLUE BACKING SINCE I KNOW SHE LIKES THAT COLOR.
I BAGGED THE P B BALLS FOR THE GROUP AND LEFT SOME FOR MY GUY NEXT DOOR AND ALSO FOR DIANA, THE ARTIST, WHEN I LEFT HER A THANK YOU CARD AT HER DOOR.  I WILL LEAVE A BAGGIE FOR THE MAIL PERSON EARLY TOMORROW.  WHEN I WENT DOWNSTAIRS SHE/HE HAD ALREADY DELIVERED SO I MISSED MY CHANCE FOR TODAY. 
ITS BINGO NIGHT SO I HAVE THAT TO ENJOY LATER AND I WILL BRING THE BAGGIES OF P B BALLS FOR THE GANG.  COOKING WILL ONLY BE SOME PIZZA.  I MAY PULL TOGETHER SOME TUNA SALAD FOR SANDWICHES TO HAVE ON HAND, ALSO.
BE SAFE MY FRIENDS.  BE GOOD TO EVERYONE.  ENJOY YOUR DAYS AND NIGHTS.
HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (12/06/2023 10:39 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

12/06/2023 10:39 am  #33

Good Morning to everyone.  It is 50* here this morning, not sure why we're having such warm weather, but I sure don't mind it.  Hard to believe it's almost Christmas, when it's so warm.

I'm not feeling very bright this morning, so will just sign off, wishing you all a wonderful day, stay well, Love, BJ.

12/06/2023 10:45 am  #34

December 6, 2023. Wednesday. 8:40 am

Prayers and hugs everyone..

Have a good day..

Yesterday we went to see DH Elmer.. Daughter asked him questions and he seemed to answer them with his eyes or head movement.. especially when she asked if he wanted to go home, a very definite yes.. he hates hospitals.. he seemed to understand that he needed to get better first.. also that we are ready for him to come back home as soon as possible..

Prayers everyone.. pray and hope that you and families are all doing better each day..

Later, gotta get ready to go.. leaving earlier today , stopping at DSonIL's mothers to visit with his family for a bit first, before going to see Elmer.. less gas this way..

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/07/2023 1:32 am)

Hugs, Waves, Smiles, & Prayers
God bless you all and may sunshine always be in your lives to brighten your days..
San

12/06/2023 1:09 pm  #35

San, I think you said Elmer is intubated but nice that he could acknowledge  your DD's inquiries.  Also nice to have a change of scene with that visit  to your SIL's mother on the way.  Take care...

Trish, I've never gotten to the museum to see "Sue".   Probably never will, now.  Nice to be able to see things through other's eyes, though.   Andrew is great at describing things and his experiences.  
(Here comes Howard.  Sounds as if he's talking on the phone with Dave...Maybe they'll go out for lunch   this week.  YES, ON FRIDAY! ) Andrew is his friend Madalyn's Plus One.  I had to ask ML and she had to ask Bill!    Madalyn says she's never going to marry as are her several sisters.  So...I think they're just friends.  But, I also know that can change!  If it does, we'll be sure to be the last ones to know!  

Wow, QB, that painting is wonderful.  I love it.  I like loons, too, for their mellow, gentle call.  The other bird I love is the kookaburra from Australia.  His "laugh" is catching and he looks like he's smiling. I get to see one once in awhile on Instagram.   Trish, do you have them by your home or do they stay in the countryside?  

We're big zoo program fans, too.  I love giraffes and wart hogs (of all things).  Recently I saw the trainers apply paint  on a rhino's pointy upper lip and then she "painted"  on canvases for sale.  Don't know which zoo.  She knew what they wanted and started painting as soon as the paint was put on.  It was hilarious and very sweet.  When she was tired of it, she ambled off.  I love that the zoos cater to the animals wishes and don't push them to do stuff they don't want to. 
Mary Lou,  you are having some lovely Christmas gatherings.  Would Lynn be well enough to come to you for Christmas?   Is her repentant husband still hanging in there with her?  I surely hope so...

Well, better carry on here.  Our running for the week is over, but there's more than enough to do in this house.  I'm barely started with my decorating.  Little energy and bad back to blame.  And a bit lazy. 
Off -
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (12/06/2023 1:16 pm)

12/06/2023 3:00 pm  #36

I cleaned out the pantry this morning and bagged a lot of stuff for Gary. It took almost 2 hours. Now what to do with all the plastic containers that I really need to leave out on the countertop so I will use the contents!

I'll be going with Gary to his doctor appointment Friday. This is with his new family doctor at Emory downtown. I've tried to get him to switch family doctors for years. Now mine has moved away and I don't have one, lol! I'll be seeing the NP in March.

Sandra, that picture is gorgeous and looks so peaceful. A very nice gift! Hope you win at bingo tonight.

Judy, sorry ML and Bill have Covid. That will put a damper on your holiday plans. They will be well before then, but might still not feel good.

I put 3 blocks together today. I first used a quilt design that had a double run and it took away from the embroidered Christmas design, so I switched to a single run quilt design. Looks so much nicer & will stitch out faster.

Marylou, how nice of your pastor to take y'all out to lunch. I'm going to get Publix to do a turkey for me...might get a turkey breast. I'm doing a ham in the crockpot. 

Trish, it's bad genes in my family. No one has lived past 80, so I have 6 years left if I'm lucky, lol. Shelby will be 78 on Dec. 17th; it's Greg's birthday too.

Holly, Greg and Holly (his ex) went to the Columbus Zoo before they divorced. They enjoyed it. I hope you will have before and after pictures of your renovation to share with us. I'm watching a young lady on You Tube that is doing a total renovation on a 1950's old house close to her parents. I'm thoroughly enjoying her progress. She is so excited, as I'm sure you are!

Diana, hope Elmer gets to come home soon.

BJ, we are having above normal temps for this time of year. Sounds like you are as well.

Last edited by DownSouth (12/06/2023 3:04 pm)

D e v o n n e

12/06/2023 5:38 pm  #37

Trish, about genes and health … Mom once asked her cardiologist what she should do to be as healthy as possible. His answer was to get healthier parents.

I had a it’s-a-small-world experience today. I was with friends in a quilt shop about 120 miles east of here. I struck up a conversation with another group of shoppers, who were from a town about 100 miles south of the shop. They know my son!

Thank you to Judy and others who often ask about Lynn. Her husband is still being very good to her. She said she expects to be able to come here for a couple of days sometime during the holiday season if I’m OK with her husband coming so he can drive her. Although I’m still struggling with forgiving him, I can accept that if it means she can come. Then hopefully in the spring she can come long enough for us to go to David’s for a visit with all of his family.

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/07/2023 1:32 am)

12/06/2023 9:14 pm  #38

Trish, DH and I usually clean or help clean after an eating function too.  He is really good about it.  We went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner for my birthday.  It was just OK this time as three of the steaks ordered were very over cooked.  My DIL and I asked for medium and Aaron asked for rare.  All were well done.  We ate them all the same, but not really good.  The rest of the food was very good.
Your brisket on buns sounds yummy.  I just saw on the Food Network Trisha Yearwood make a slaw out of left over veggies from the Thanksgiving dinner.  I thought, what a great idea!  Now I will have to try it.

On the subject of watching kids and programs, I too, get bored, but watch just the same.  lol.  We go to all of the band concerts and some are not to my taste in music but we love to watch Gabriel on percussion.  He plays bass drum in the marching band and all different instruments/drums in concert band.  Andrew is just first year learning the clarinet.  He does not want to keep doing it next year but I think  his mom is insisting.

Sandra, I listen to CDs all the time and my family makes fun of me.  Some of the CDs are pretty old.  I do some streaming but mostly listen to the radio or my CDs.

Holly, the Wilds are 45 minutes south of me.  We have been to the park and it is nice.  They have open bus rides thru to see the animals.  We do not get close really.  One can book a horseback tour and get closer.  There is also a petting area and fishing lake. They also have zip lines and the kids love doing them.  Not me!   I watch that zoo show too.  I love all of them, especially the New York Bronx one.  

Devonne, the blocks you made are just adorable, and the backing fabric is festive.  It is going to be so adorable.

BJ, wonderful news about Frank!!!! 

Aaron's last PET Scan in June showed him cancer free and the doctor wants one again this month but the insurance says it is not medically necessary.  His doc is trying to intervene to get it done, then next year he will be able to go to one a year for scans.  He is a two time cancer patient so she wants it every 6 months for now.  I always fret when he is waiting for results.  He has not been feeling well the past month and it makes me so anxious.

San, continued prayers for Elmer.  Take care of yourself too.

Trish, I will check out The Recipe TinEats.  I love sites like that.

I have an appt with my eye doc surgeon tomorrow.  I think all is well except for dry eyes.

Last edited by Chlynn1129 (12/06/2023 9:18 pm)

12/07/2023 1:55 am  #39

SANDRA that is beautiful, what a lovely gift. I hope you can get a frame, or maybe you can hang it like a quilt wall hanging?? With some big clips? Pizza sounds good, we haven't had any for quite a while, the places close by are not so good, and it's too far to drive for one to my favourite, it would be half cold by the tome we got home LOL'

INDY funny you should ask about the kookaburras, we do have a few that are in the trees, not all the time, when they start calling it can be loud ! BUT just lately we have a little one coming to sit on our back verandah, we are pretty sure he's a baby, he can fly and it's funny watching him tilt his head back and try to 'laugh' no idea where his mum and dad are, usually you don't see very small ones. We do have a couple resident magpies, they are quite territorial, and will dive-bomb you to protect their young, because we have had them on the back as well they are used to us so haven't been aggressive with us. 

CHERYL I hope you enjoy Nagi and her recipes, she has published a book and all her recipes come with a video usually, she will give other names too for the US and UK, I love her food and it's usually quick and easy to make. I am so happy that Aaron is OK and his scans are clear ((((hugs))))

DEVONNE I believe we have longer, my dad died when he was 81, my mum at 57 but the issues he had I have been treated for much earlier, so I'm hoping that I can live longer, there are no guarantees though !

MARYLOU I think you can try to forgive him if he is looking after her, it will be uncomfortable at first, the issues in the Mrs family have resolved, but it IS hard to try to begin again, for family it's worth trying!

SAN it sounds like Elmer is in the right place for now, if he is on breathing support and dialysis he has quite a few things happening, do they tell you anything about his prognosis? How long he might expect to be intubated etc? 

JANET I'm sorry you have no family close to celebrate with, so they celebrate in NY (your son and family) I know you would love to see them. 

STRINGS I am so glad for you that you have your sis to take you places, our =19.5pxsisters are special - which reminds me I have to call mine back, she rang when I was taking John to the Orthodontist.

It's another hot day here, and going to get worse. it was pretty bad at training, but will be even worse on Saturday LOL I will definitely NOT be working hard. 
Going to  be around 100 by 10am when we finish - EEK!!!!

I have sewing tomorrow, and again on Sunday. Had the Dr yesterday and John had the orthodontist this afternoon, Dean will be home tomorrow - I will leave sewing early so I can pick him up, he should be filthy dirty and very tired, AND hungry, no doubt he'll want a McDs thick shake on the way home. 

I have packed up just some neck coolers to take tomorrow, that way I don't have much to pack up when I leave early. We will do our fat 1/4 game - but I need to buy mine first, I have packed some Christmas wrapping to do there.
See you later!

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

12/07/2023 5:19 am  #40

Trish- my son, DIL and grands go to FL Christmas morning and return the morning of NYE.  They have been doing this for years.  Never asked us to meet them there. 
   6:20 here and it’s pitch dark?  And 25*.  I have to leave for Breakfast Club and the gym shortly.  🥶

Board footera