OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/27/2023 8:02 pm  #41

Re: ODT SUNDAY DEC 24 ~ SAT DEC 30

Did anyone get a Christmas card from me? I mailed one to each of you. I actually took them inside the post office. Gary said he didn't get his.

I got a winter alert north Georgia could see some snow flurries. We do get excited down here, even if it's only a chance of flurries, lol! Of course, I'm not in north Georgia but Carter will be going there this weekend to visit his other grandparents for their Christmas time.

I worked on Carter's QAYG for about two hours today. Here is a picture of my first mistake, but it was an easy fix. I thought I had already finished the other "regular" blocks for Caleb's quilt, but I haven't even started them! It won't take long, as the quilting takes only 2 minutes per block. 

Janet, do you ever stay in the same room and watch the same TV shows? Billy and I never liked the same shows, so he was in the family room & I was in the great room. He watched more sports than me and I liked HGTV shows.

Last edited by DownSouth (12/27/2023 8:08 pm)

D e v o n n e

12/27/2023 8:15 pm  #42

Trish, these pictures are for you. I was so frustrated with QAYG because I wasn't understanding how to do the "ends" of the seams on the blocks. I knew you had to leave it unsewn so you could attach the next row...so I just did stitch in the ditch and left about 1.5" open on the ends. Today, while watching Monica's Episode 3, she finally joined 4 blocks together and I now get it, lol! She slips a business card under each end so she is sure not to catch the batting and the backing and she hand sews it. I will need to go back and finish my stitch in the ditch after I sew the rows together. I don't want to do hand sewing on these, as I have three quilts to finish. The kids won't care, lol! 

This is the fusible tape I bought to attach the batting together where you have to cut it. She used a much wider one, so I'm looking for it. I did decide to press the seams open.

This is how much batting I lost on each side.

This is the part I wasn't getting....now I know how to do it the next time.

Last edited by DownSouth (12/27/2023 8:34 pm)

D e v o n n e

12/27/2023 8:59 pm  #43

DEVONNE they are pretty, it does take a while to 'get it' LOL I mostly use strips on the back, and just join the front, you can figure it out. Kind of open the blocks out ( front ones ) after you sew them together, then add the strips to the seam allowance. I don't know how to explain it better, it is REALLY easy if you use joining/sashing strips both back and front, I didn't waste that much batting, I just cut it about 1" bigger than the block, and usually same size as backing. it's been a while, I need to do another one to remember it all LOL 

SANDRA hope you have a win tonight, and YES stay away from those treats, you don't need them, you just want them LOL that is what I keep telling myself. And then I have another glass of water !

hope the weather stays good for you for retreat. we are still getting storms daily, it's getting annoying! And humid!

INDY I'mm sorry about your friend, sometimes you just have to cut loose from them, it's YOU that needs to be happy, and you can screen the calls LOL The boys do that with their mother, it didn't work one day, she phoned Gary and her  turned off the internet remotely, they sure met her at the door that day! And I think they will answer the calls next time LOL

I am going to make the quiche tonight, it was late when I realised it was dinner time so it didn't have time to cook!

I went to training today, it was a big class, my sore muscle - even though it hurt to train - is much better, using and stretching it really helped. I fell UP the stairs yesterday and pulled my glute muscle, I should have tossed the heavy grocery bags, but held onto them AND stopped myself from falling, but pulled the muscle, silly thing to do, I was trying to save extra trips. I'll do the extra trip next time LOL

The Mr is outside, he is so bored with no bowling, he asked could he go for a while tomorrow, YEP! better than driving me nuts!

See you later, I am planning on cutting some strips for my Temperature quilt, but I need to maybe do a few drawings of blocks to make sure my idea will work, I was going to do 1/2 square triangles for the two colours each day, but we have 3 trips booked now, so I want to do the temps from both places, so I thought of doing 4 patches, with background in opposite squares when it's just one place temps, and using both lots of colours in the 4 patch when we are away. 
Do you think it will work?
PLUS I changed my mind about design, I am doing it like a big wall calendar. 
With 3 months down and 4 across  ( including the spaces as each line will start with Monday so some months will start 4 spaces across), with sashing between the months.  

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

12/27/2023 9:06 pm  #44

Thank you to all who sent Christmas cards to me! Yes, Devonne, I got one from you. BTW, you have beautiful handwriting.

Today was my Lunch Bunch Christmas gathering. One of our members has an especially lovely home that she decorates beautifully so we almost always have our Christmas there. She made a pot of soup and the rest of us brought goodies to snack on as we visited all afternoon. The youngest in our group (I think she is around 40) lost her husband 4 years ago. She has been dating someone for several months and got an engagement ring for Christmas. They have no definite wedding plans yet.

My twin great nieces have completely recovered from Covid but now their Mom and Dad are both sick. So far, big sister is ok.

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/30/2023 9:21 pm)

12/28/2023 5:59 am  #45

Holly- I spend most of my time in kitchen and my studio. We have a large eat in kitchen area. That’s where we eat and watch tv and where I also do my hand embroidery.
Devonne- we watch tv while we eat dinner and in the same spot until we go to bed. We watch the same things. Mostly old movies
Trish- have fun with your temperature quilt. The girls I know have a FB page. Temperature quilt Gang (I think that’s the correct name).
DH ordered a new truck about a week ago when I was out. Yesterday, while I was out with a friend, they called to say the “the build was picked up and will begin Jan 29”.
We have to go to the dealer today to do the paper work. 😵‍💫

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/30/2023 9:22 pm)

12/28/2023 10:48 am  #46

Good Morning to you all!  I'm feeling pretty lazy this morning, can't even find anything I want for breakfast! But I'm really hungry, so will have to find something.  It is 50* here, hard to believe it's staying so warm this late in the year.

Hope you all have a  wonderful day, I just must get off here.  I don't have any energy and nothing to say so will sign off, wishing everyone well.  Sending love and best wishes, BJ.

12/28/2023 12:29 pm  #47

LOST $3 AT BINGO LAST NITE BUT HAD A GOOD TIME WITH THE GIRLS.

TODAY I AM TAKING A HIBERNATION DAY.  JUST SNUGGLING UNDER A QUILT ON THE SOFA AND WATCHING TV SHOWS ALL DAY AND EATING LEFTOVERS SINCE I DON'T COOK ON HIBERNATION DAY.
AND YES, DEVONNE, I GOT A LOVELY XMAS CARD FROM YOU.

THAT'S IT FROM ME TODAY.  ALMOST FORGOT TO COME HERE.  WAS ENJOYING MY 'DOWN' TIME.  ITS DREARY AND RAINY AND A GOOD DAY TO DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

HUGS FOR ALL.  QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (12/28/2023 12:30 pm)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

12/28/2023 6:57 pm  #48

Marylou, thank you. My handwriting is a little shakier than it used to be. Learning how to do cursive in the 5th grade was one of my favorite classes. 

I got my flu shot today...had to wait a little too long because there were computer problems. Arm not sore yet, but it's only been 3 hrs. I'll get a Covid shot next month. 

Sandra, sorry about your bingo loss, but you had fun anyway.

Trish, I wish I could answer your temperature quilt question but I know nothing about them except aren't you supposed to make a block every day? It sounds interesting, but not for me.

I ordered Livingo scissors from Amazon and the guy just delivered them. Also got four pair of Westcott for general use. With QAYG, you need good scissors and a sharp rotary blade. 

Where is Theresa? Did she post at Christmas and I missed it?

Last edited by DownSouth (12/28/2023 6:58 pm)

D e v o n n e

12/29/2023 5:46 am  #49

Trish- I think that could work.  When I thought I was going to do one, my plan was a circle on a square for each day.  There are lots of pics on line.  Just google temperature quilts.

12/29/2023 10:11 am  #50

ITS ANOTHER CLOUDY AND DREARY DAY TODAY BUT CAN'T HIBERNATE.  I HAVE LAUNDRY TO DO AND COOKING.  TODAY IT WILL BE CHICKEN RICE SOUP FOR THE MASSES.  MY SON SHOPS FOR ME TOMORROW SO HE WILL TAKE SOME HOME, TOO.

THOSE THAT ENJOY DOWNTON ABBEY, YOU WILL ALSO ENJOY THE ONE MADE LAST YEAR, DOWNTON ABBEY, A NEW ERA.   IT HAS A MAIN THEME BUT THERE ARE, AS ALWAYS, SIDE ISSUES HAPPENING.  IT WAS GREAT TO SEE THE OLD FACES.  THE EARL IS LOOKING MUCH OLDER THIS TIME.  IF YOU CAN GET TO WATCH IT, DO SO.  IT HAS MY THUMBS UP.  IN FACT I PLAN TO WATCH IT AGAIN TODAY.

I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF SEWING BUT NOT DOING YET.  I TOOK MY XMAS CARDS AND PULLED A FEW WITH WINTER SCENES I LIKED.  I WILL ATTEMPT TO MAKE SOME DRAWINGS FROM THEM TO MAKE MORE DOOR HANGINGS.  SINCE I GAVE SOME TO A COUPLE OF LADIES HERE, I FIND THAT OTHERS ARE HINTING FOR A DOOR HANGING AS WELL, EVEN THOSE WHO RARELY SPEAK WITH ME OR THAT I SEE AT ALL .  SINCE THEY ARE FREEBIES, I WILL JUST MAKE WHAT I LIKE AND NOT WORRY ABOUT WHO IS GOING TO GET WHAT.  I CAN'T MAKE THEM FOR EVERYONE.  NOT ENOUGH TIME NOR ENERGY FOR THAT.

WISHING YOU ALL A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (12/29/2023 10:15 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

12/29/2023 11:17 am  #51

Good Morning, everyone!!   It is a beautiful day here, occasional sun and a nice breeze, 52*.  Hard to believe it's winter here.  I have no plans for the day, Tracy and Kendra will be coming over later.  Can't wait to see them.

I am wearing my sweater I got for Christmas; Tracy gave it to me,  It is pale blue and white, just beautiful, a pullover.  Well, I have nothing more to say this morning, so will just sign off, wishing you all a wonderful day, BJ.

12/29/2023 11:26 am  #52

DH ordered a truck yesterday. It goes into production at the end of January. 🤷‍♀️
Not much else to say…still getting my retreat stuff together. After lunch I’ll go downstairs to work on cleaning ☹️

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/30/2023 9:33 pm)

12/29/2023 12:05 pm  #53

Janet, what kind of truck? Ralph has an F150 and swears by Ford. Ed always has a Dodge, Eddie’s is Ralph’s old Ford. I think my brothers are Ford guys. 

I’ve been a slug today, time to get to it!

12/29/2023 12:34 pm  #54

Hello.   Missed coming here yesterday.  ML, Andrew and I went for lunch at Olive Garden.  We all had shrimp scampi and we shared calamari for an appetizer--first time I ever had it.   Both things were delicious.  After, we went to a favorite gift shop that specializes in local artists and vintage.  It was a relaxing and enjoyable day.  I'm so thankful for them and for our good relationship.  

I got your beautiful card, too, Devonne,  Just pokey in saying thanks.  I can understand why you wondered if we got them with some of the post office's failings, and Gary not getting his.  I showed it to Howard and first thing I mentioned was your beautiful hand writing.  I remembered it from other cards you've sent...
What you're doing is all Greek to me, but it looks good.    I've done a bit of QAYG, but have forgotten most of it.  I do only hand work, now, and not too much of that.  Am looking for a daily project.  I've spent all year doing a small daily  weaving of various colors of  pearl cotton on a background of an open weave fabric I've had so long I don't remember where or when I got it.  Some days, I've gotten behind and had to catch up, because that's just life.  I have three more days to do this year.  I love the concept of marking the days like this.    So far, I'm stalled for what to do next year.  Whatever it is, it has to be something simple that can be picked up and carried on with...

We were supposed to go to the grocery, today, but Howard just came downstairs and told me his stomach is not feeling right.  He can't pinpoint anything.  It's okay with me.  I didn't want to go anyway.  We're just out of fresh meat and some other things.   Maybe tomorrow...

This week between Christmas and New Year's is always rather peculiar for me.  In the past, I was so grateful all the work was over and ready to do something else.  Now, it's not that way, but still an odd interlude.  Plus, I'm lazier than usual.  Don't want to do any work, just play on the computer, and other useless things.  I have new books to read and that project to figure out and any number of choices, but...Glad to hear of your hibernation day, QB.  Makes me feel better.  

Trish, thanks for your wise comments about my friend.  Put into words by another, always helps.  It's just  another example of the havoc all this political crap has causedin families and friends and even spouses, sometimes. 

Janet, you and Jerry sound like Howard and me, now.  We also watch tv (Jeopardy)  while we eat and then watch the same shows until bedtime.  First, we have little new to say to each other, and while before we were like Devonne and Billy (favoring different tv shows), now he stays down here all evening.  But, I usually pick the shows and if he wants football, he watches it on his laptop at the same time. Since his stroke, I don't think he wants to stay upstairs alone.   I don't force shows I know he dislikes on him, either. Like 1000 lbs. Sisters and Naked and Afraid!  

Going to quit this...Have a good afternoon. 
Indy 

Last edited by indyanny (12/29/2023 12:42 pm)

12/29/2023 12:53 pm  #55

The last day of the year is
   123123 weird right? 

Holly- it’s a GMC diesel.  I can’t remember the model name. Our current truck is an F250.

Last edited by Missmommy (12/29/2023 5:22 pm)

12/29/2023 1:03 pm  #56

Went to Sam's Club with Gary this morning. He bought chicken wings and Oreida fries to bring in the New Year. He actually was shopping for Hannah and Ben, as they have friends coming over. I have never had a chicken wing and they like them with hot sauce.

Janet, what color? Congratulations! How nice to have new vehicles! Hannah has a huge diesel truck. It's a Dodge Ram...I think.

I love these Livingo scissors. It's the first pair of 9.5" I have ever had. I needed them to cut all this extra batting off these quilts. I am as far as I can go with Carter's blocks right now.  I ordered a Stitch in the Ditch foot & it won't be here until Sunday. 

It's tv time and I will rest awhile, then sew Caleb's blocks together. I will just pin the seam on the back until my SITD foot gets here. I'm going to do more quilting over these seams on the emb. machine.

Sandra, I think tomorrow will be a hiberating day for me! 

Judy, sending you a PM. Thank you for the compliment. I wish I knew how to do calligraphy. I bought a kit that teaches you how, but I haven't had the time to do it.

BJ, maybe Tracy can send us a picture of you in your beautiful sweater!

Last edited by DownSouth (12/29/2023 1:06 pm)

D e v o n n e

12/29/2023 2:40 pm  #57

Devonne, I did not receive a card.

Judy, I love Naked and Afraid! I just discovered it recently. Ralph and I rarely watch TV together, we have totally different tastes. 

Today is Heather’s 49th birthday. She’s at the roller skating rink with the kids, doing neon skating, whatever that is.

12/29/2023 4:56 pm  #58

I've spent the day undecorating.  I can take down faster than putting up.  Tomorrow I will do the big tree in the living room and the Nativity.  There will be a few odds and ends left.  Then I need to get all the boxes back in the shelves in the basement.

I used to do the tree on NYD while watching the parade.  A few years ago I did it early and enjoyed being able to just watch the parade, eat snacks and start a new cross stitch.

My favorite snack is a dip made with sausage, cheese and rotelle tomatoes.  Use Tostitos to dip.  You can make it spicy but I like it mild.  This year I'm making deviled eggs and pickle rollups also.  I used to make chicken wings but haven't for many years.  Mine were sweet, no spicy foods here!

Janet, you missed a number when typing the date, it's 123123

Sew Happy (Patty)
Northern Minnesota

12/29/2023 5:26 pm  #59

Patty- you’re right , I fixed it. 
Devonne - Red,  very, very red with all blacked out trim and wheels. 
Holly- the model is ATX4. 
We have no plans for NYE.  None for NY Day either. 🙁

12/29/2023 6:54 pm  #60

Good evening friends.

Holly, I love Naked and Afraid too!  Those people are so strong.   Dean and I just have one TV in the entire house, so we watch the same shows usually.  He loves old movies (1940' s and 1950's)  I do not.  But I usually just read anyway when the TV is on.  I watch "my shows" when he goes to the YMCA to exercise or when he is working in his garage.  I tape a "soap opera" The Young & Restless and have watched it since 1974.  I record it and watch it late at night.

All of the Christmas food/cookies are gone and I am glad of it.  Got tired of ham.  I made the last few slices into a ham salad for Dean.  He likes it on bread or toast.  I made hamburgers and hand cut French fries for supper.  We wanted something easy. and not chicken or ham.  lol.

We have no plans for New Year's Eve.  Aaron and Katie may come over and hang out but other than that, nothing.  I did get some pork ribs and sauerkraut to make on Friday.  It is our tradition to eat a little at midnight. 

My grand daughter, Abigail, got her driver's permit today.  I cannot believe she can now drive a car.  They grow so fast.

Going to go do some paper piecing.  I did two last night and it took me awhile to get my brain in gear to do it properly.    I did finish the scrap quilt that I made from some of the swap bricks and it came out really cute.  Really vivid and not one brick is the same.  I still have several sets left and may do another one.  I will give them to Project Linus.  My local Joann's is collecting so I don't have to go far to donate.

Dean and I took down the Christmas tree and all the decorations today.  Now the house looks kind of bare.  I used to leave all my snowmen up till February but not this year.

PS:  Devonne, I did not get a card.

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/30/2023 9:33 pm)

Board footera