OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/25/2023 9:38 pm  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY DEC 24 ~ SAT DEC 30

Had a wonderful Christmas. Gary is picking me up at 9:30 in the morning. It's his appt. with his Vascular Disease doctor about his right leg.

It's still raining....has rained all day. We had a wonderful dinner. Everyone bragged on how beautiful my turkey was. I tried something different this year. Started the oven at 425 degrees for 45 minutes, then finished cooking it at 350 degrees. 

I may leave my Christmas decor up until the new year to enjoy it a little longer.

Last edited by DownSouth (12/25/2023 9:43 pm)

D e v o n n e

12/25/2023 10:36 pm  #22

INDY we have the same issues with family, well, not me anymore, now it's Megan's turn LOL And it seems lots of families have them. I'm glad you had a good time!

SANDRA so all of you will be happily eating your goodies, well done on the cooking! I didn't make any desserts after all, we had plenty of things, I took Brandy Snaps (and the canned cream to go with ) funny it's the only time we ever use canned cream, beats putting into a piping bag though. Megan had a few things, plus we had lovely mint chocolates, cherries, fruit and jellies, (they were pretty much demolished by the boys) Oh and little meringue nests. All to have after a long break after dinner, and then ready to play games!

We had a lovely dinner, they had gone to his parents for lunch, and came home early, Megan was upset over their treatment of the boys, who each got $70 and a box of Maltesers, the other grands got expensive gifts ( and a lot of them ) and she even called the boys by the wrong name. However it's over for another year. Thank heavens LOL

We had turkey breast, ham and salads, turkey stuffing balls and the prawns, plus the appetisers of Lobster puffs and Smoked Salmon canapés and the scallops wrapped in bacon, they were all delicious.

The new game for after dinner was so funny, Warwick kept giggling when his answer was read, Dean was then into fits, it's called 'who dis phone' or something like it, one person (different each turn) read out a mobile text, the others have 7 cards of answers, some of them were so funny. 

Today it's been stormy again, it was last night too. We watched the start of the Sydney to Hobart race, it was great, the seas will be choppy, the harbour was misty - humidity I think, and they had a huge storm about 2 hours before. We  were on one of the craft chasing after them all one year, it was amazing, huge waves, and so many boats, they really have to follow the rules, there hasn't even been an accident - I don't think.
It will take a day or two to get to Hobart for the fastest, the slowest almost a week.

DEVONNE so happy for you, hope the appointment goes well tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you, remember don't let him tell you to go home, and take a paper bag for him to breath into - or do the breathing Sandra said, if he starts to panic.

PATTY so a "brown" Christmas, how long has it been since that happened!

HOLLY I looked up those songs, I had never heard them, I had CDs I had on yesterday during the early part of the day, I love 'proper' Christmas music. I haven't watched all the Carol Service the Princess of Wales does, and still haven't watched the Kings speech. No one else likes it, but I do LOL, usually record it, but you can watch it later now anyway LOL

BJ I do hope you are feeling better, enjoy your rest now the family have gone

I am just setting up the jigsaw puzzle I got for Christmas, just finished sorting out the edge pieces 

CAROL so good to see you ((((hugs)))) hope you had a lovely day!

I better get off, more lightning around.

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

12/26/2023 6:02 am  #23

It would be nice to have a table to do a puzzle on. Unfortunately or not, all of my flat surfaces seem to be covered with sewing machines, fabric, quilts, etc. Lol
Sounds like you all had a nice Christmas. Nothing changes here….ever.
Getting the downstairs ready for the painters and getting my “stuff” ready for retreat. Hoping the weather that week is good so we can all stay the full 5 days. Seems there’s alway an impending ice/snow issue the last day cutting the retreat short.
Off to my cardio workout class.

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/26/2023 9:49 pm)

12/26/2023 10:50 am  #24

Good Morning to everyone!!  It is a very still day, has been raining earlier, but not now.  Fortunately!!  I have no plans for the day, may quit the computer early and go watch TV.  

The sky is all blue and white, not sure if a mess will be falling or we'll just live with it the way it is  now.  I got a lovely pale blue and white top and a beautiful pair of pajamas for Christmas.  Lucky me!!  Well, I have nothing to say so will sign off and wish you all a happy day, Love, BJ.

12/26/2023 11:29 am  #25

DEVONNE......I ALWAYS START MY TURKEY AT 450* FOR A HALF HOUR (IT GETS THE BROWNING STARTED ON THE SKIN) THEN REDUCE IT TO 350 TIL THE TURKEY IS DONE.  MAKES FOR A NICE TURKEY.
YOUR RAIN IS HEADING OUR WAY FOR TOMORROW.  THANK YOU.  AT LEAST ITS NOT SNOW.
GOOD LUCK FOR GARY WITH HIS APPT TODAY.

MY SON AND HIS WIFE INDULGED A BIT IN MY CHICKEN WITH STUFFING MIX CASSEROLE SINCE THEY WERE HEADING AFTERWARDS TO GET CHINESE FOR SUPPER.  THEY LIKED IT.  I WILL MAKE IT AGAIN.  I ALSO SHARED WITH TOM AND HIS DOG OSCAR NEXT DOOR SINCE HE HAS NO ONE AND IS SO GOOD TO RUN ERRANDS FOR THE FOLKS HERE EVEN THOUGH HE TRAVELS WITH A WALKER, AND VERY SLOWLY.  HE HAS REALLY BAD KNEES.  NO CARTILAGE BETWEEN THE BONES.  ANYWAY, HE DRIVES SO TAKES SOME TO THEIR DR APPTS TOO AND PICKS UP STUFF AT THE GROCER'S FOR ANYONE WHO ASKS.  I AM LUCKY TO HAVE MY SON DO THAT FOR ME AND IN A PINCH, OR I CAN WAIT FOR DELIVERY.  BUT TOM HAS SAID ANYTHING, ANYTIME, TO JUST ASK.  I WILL IF NEEDED.

I AM SO GLAD THE XMAS MOVIES WILL BE A THING OF THE PAST SOON.  I SEE FOR TODAY THERE ARE STILL SOME CHANNELS SHOWING XMAS MOVIES.  I JUST PASS THEM BY.

TODAY I TOOK OUT MY TRASH TO THE DUMPSTER AND SOCIALIZED WITH 4 LADIES IN THE FRONT HALLWAY WHERE WE HAVE SOME UPHOLSTERED CHAIRS FOR SITTING AROUND AND GABBING.  IT ALWAYS MAKES FOR A NICE REST STOP UPON ENTERING THE BLDG.  
THE CANDY BOWL BY THE MAILBOXES I IGNORED.  I DO NOT NEED ANYMORE.  I GAINED 9 LBS THIS MONTH SO NEED TO LOSE THEM, NOT KEEP EATING GOODIES.  BESIDES, I STILL HAVE A FEW P B FUDGE AND BALLS TO CONSUME THIS WEEK.  NOT MANY, BUT ENOUGH TO KEEP ME HAPPY.
MY MEALS WILL BE CUT BACK NOW.  I THOUGHT I MIGHT HAVE WHAT I WILL CALL TWO 'SHORT DAYS' A WEEK.  FRUIT AND JUICE IN THE MORNING, THEN A HALF BOWL OF SOUP WITH A HALF SANDWICH FOR LUNCH AND SUPPER BOTH.  THAT SHOULD HELP LOSE SOME OF THIS EXTRA FAT.  CROSS YOUR FINGERS FOR ME.

THAT'S IF FROM ME LADIES.  STAY WELL.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (12/26/2023 11:42 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

12/26/2023 11:48 am  #26

Happy Boxing Day! 
I started in on the sewing room today. Yikes! For over an hour I just moved things out that had been shoved in there, and put things where they belong. After an hour, my legs said it was time to stop, so we had turkey sandwiches for lunch. I made a good dent in the mess, though, so I’m happy. 

Tonight will be leftovers, turkey, stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. 

Devonne’s rain is coming to us tomorrow, better than snow! 

12/26/2023 1:19 pm  #27

This is unbelievable.  I had a whole post ready to submit, my laptop went to sleep during my long phone call with ML and when I revived it, my post was gone, blank.  Must mean some of the stuff I typed should not have been.  For one thing, you are spared the details of the family drama during our time together and another drama that happened to me with a friend.  I really thought I should delete it anyway.  Lucky you-all! 

So, I'll come at this from a different angle.  Our heat wave is over.  We had a high of 59 yesterday, Christmas Day.  It was nice.  The weatherman repeats over and over that this is an el nino winter.  
l982 was the last time it was this warm and we lived in Texas that year.  I did love that warmer climate.  

My gag gift from "Santa"/ML was the book, The  Grinch Who Stole Christmas.  Once, in passing she'd mentioned him and I told her I really had never read it nor seen any movie.  So, now it's been read and last night we watched the 30 min. cartoon--couldn't quite do the 2 hr. movie.    Another from Danny was a kitchen towel  with  AN OLD ROOSTER AND A COOL CHICK LIVE HERE, now hanging on a chair.  

Janet are you painting everything one color or different ones?  Hope all goes well for you at the retreat, getting there, etc.  Nothing much changes here, either.  But, then, I hate most change, so...

I paid for a membership to The Quilt Show in June and as I suspected, haven't watched much.  Am hoping to spend some of this week between watching what interests me.  I've always gone there for their free stuff, but decided to splurge this year.  I've always liked Alex Anderson.  She's so like us ordinary people even to the point that she can be quite confused with the devises and their issues.  

That long call with ML was, in part, about  going out for lunch with week with Andrew.  I get to pick, where.  I think it may just be Olive Garden.  It's a place Howard doesn't care for and I do.  He won't be going and I guess neither will Bill, who is invited.  Hope it works out...

Off to get some late lunch.  Have a nice day.
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (12/26/2023 1:20 pm)

12/26/2023 2:21 pm  #28

Judy…he will pick the colors. I know nothing will be white, beige, cream….he asked, I was shocked, what color I’d like for the family room. I said blue/grey. He said no. He’s thinking green. So why ask me? I told him just pick and leave me out of it. That way it can’t be my fault if it’s yucky. I picked up the big color sample thing from the paint store.
Rainy here but mild.

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/26/2023 9:48 pm)

12/26/2023 3:36 pm  #29

A little humorous punning for you today.

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket.  Mary Engelbreit 

12/26/2023 5:10 pm  #30

It is so nice to see you all had a nice holiday.  We sure did here.
It was 60 degrees yesterday; Katie talked to her parents in Irvine, California, and it was only 50 degrees there!  lol!  So weird.  It is still sunny and warm today.

I did not do much baking since I did not feel too great.  I made some pre-packaged cookies from the dairy section and then made some peanut butter fudge.  I did not care for the fudge, but it is all gone, so the kids liked it.  Still eating left over ham and sweet potatoes today, but it is all good.

I only have one sweater to take back to the store this year!  YEAH!!  It is just too big for Abby, so I gave her cash to buy something else and will take this one back to Kohl's tomorrow.  I did not want to brave the returns area today.

Devonne, how scary for Logan.  Thanks goodness he is OK.

Dean got me some  new pots and pans for Christmas.  Mine were pretty scratched up so it will be nice to have some new ones.

We went to Christmas Eve services with Aaron and his family.  It is a new church for him and it is very
Contemporary.  It was not my favorite as the music was LOUD.  Aaron said it would be loud, but I still did not expect that.  Dean and I were amazed that so many older people were there as it seemed like a "young people"  sort of music/service.    It was a nice church, but too large for me.  

Sandra, your pictures are pretty.  We visited Maine (Acadia National Park) many years ago and loved it.  The scenery is beautiful.

Nothing else to report today, so will sign off.  

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/26/2023 9:48 pm)

12/26/2023 6:12 pm  #31

I'm glad we left early, as Gary thought this doctor was in the same Emory Hospital where all his other appts. were...he wasn't. We made it to the other Emory Hospital site just in time. The dr. asked if he had tried compression socks, which he has. He will be scheduled for surgery soon. The surgery has a 78% success rate. The trip went well!

The Range Rover Logan was driving had only 6,000 miles on it! He was the only one that couldn't make it for Christmas, but he apologized. I told him that was ok, just come get your gifts when you can.

Holly, your porch looks fantastic! I also love the flooring. You will enjoy sitting out there. 

Judy, I have also never seen any Grinch movies. Not sure if I've seen the Scrooge one either. 

I plan on getting back to working on these quilts in the morning. You really need space to lay the rows out so you can pin them together. I'm going to use my kitchen island.

Sandra, I sent all the goodies home for the kids. Also gave Gary turkey, rolls and gave a bag of mixed nuts to Gary, Hannah and Greg. Greg brought homemade brownies and homemade cookies. I did indulge in some of that. I did good on the calories, but bad on the carbs.

Cheryl, I got Greg skillets for Christmas. That's what he said he needed. I also gave him two gift cards.

Janet, hope you're happy with the color (s) Jerry picks out.

It's going to get colder here...last day in the 60's is tomorrow.

Last edited by DownSouth (12/26/2023 6:30 pm)

D e v o n n e

12/26/2023 10:15 pm  #32

SANDRA our coach says that many people gain about 5kg (10lb) over the Christmas break. She wanted us tobe mindful, I have gained about 1/2lb, so I'm happy, we do still have leftovers but Pete and the Mr will take care of those, oh and John will stop in tomorrow, that will also lighten the load, that boy can eat!

CHERYL that is a great idea, I want a new one, but they sold out RecipeTinEats put it as one of her top 10 gifts to buy LOL. I will have to wait.

CAROL I do have to admit it took me a few seconds to "get" it LOL it's a goodie.

Indy I have often toyed with the idea of the Quilt Show, but never did it, I am the same, doubt I would have watched much of it.

HOLLY I haven't watched and Grinch either, but a favourite is Chevy Chase Christmas Vacation. They play it every year on Dec 25th. And we often watch parts of it. Must have seen it 20 or more times LOL

DEVONNE good news for the trip, I hope the surgery can be done ASAP. I think he has to not lift heavy things, and will need to wear the stockings, you can get a thing called a DONER for putting them on, makes it easy, if he can put them easily they are possibly the wrong size, they need to be tight. Google Doner for stockings.

JANET I wouldn't care either, unless it's my bedroom, I choose beige colours, as most of our rooms stay open, and the hall/dining/living are all open so the colour has to be the same, we just used slightly darker or lighter of the colour. You really can't tell, but the painters said we had to go lighter in the hallways. And it DOES make  a difference.

BJ sounds like you scored well, are you feeling better? 

Sounds like we are all recuperating after the festivities, I was so tired yesterday, I go back to training tomorrow, so I will feel like I h ave more energy after it!

It's been storming a lot here, we went out in the gap between them, I wanted Christmas bush plant, was told it was about 1/2 hour away, looked it up (mistake, should have rung) so we had the drive for nothing, other than that the washing is out, portable line, so one is already inside, the other is under cover, but not drying, I'll put it in the dryer later.

John just rang in a panic, he found quite a large amount in his saving account, from Pete, told me he thought Pete made a mistake and it should have been for his mum or me!  I didn't know, but Pete transferred him a big gift for his 18th. He was wanting to give it back, said it's too much, I'll let them work it out. Pete can afford it, and it's a 'one of' time. He told John he will do the same for Dean when he turns 18

Pete is close to the boys, he calls John Joanna, it started when he was about 8yrs, he was calling Dean a mean nickname, Pete came up with Joanna for Dean to use, and Pete has also used it since, just in family situations, he wouldn't do it in front of his mates. The Mr doesn't like it, but John is happy about it, has never asked not to, and he HAS been asked if he'd rather not have it.

The storm has dropped the temp about 20 deg, so it's nice out, but still humid.
Had a long talk with my sis, we often talk every day, but sometimes with her work it's a week or so.
I best get those clothes into the dryer.
To use up some ham it's crustless quiche tonight with salad. There will be enough for John when he comes tomorrow.

Last edited by tricia-anne (12/26/2023 10:16 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

12/26/2023 10:22 pm  #33

Another rainy day here. 😞. I guess the amount of rain we received through yesterday would have equaled 7" of snow.

Trish, I don't remember another brown Christmas.  I know the southern part of the state has been brown at this time.

Good luck Holly on cleaning out your room.  I did that when we had new carpet installed.  It was a lot of work but I got rid of a lot of stuff and have kept it neat ever since.

Good luck with your retreat Janet.  Hope the bad weather stays away.  Today I finished cutting out a project for my retreat in February.

Sew Happy (Patty)
Northern Minnesota

12/27/2023 7:00 am  #34

Carol- nice to “see” you. Very funny.
Trish- In our previous house the painter’s wife picked all the colors for all of the rooms.🤷‍♀️. I was at the HGTV retreat at the time. Missed the whole thing, It was done when I got back. 
50* and still raining since yesterday.  Going to lunch with a friend today.  A
lot of places are closed here until New Years. 

I was in a vile mood yesterday and tore into those boxes of pictures.  Some were so blurry and others had turned dark grey so it was easy to ditch them.  So 3 cartons down and 3 to go.  I’m sure I’ll be in a bad mood again soon so I’ll do those then.

12/27/2023 7:49 am  #35

Patty, sorry you didn't have a white Christmas. It would be so nice to have one here.

Hope everyone has a great day! I'm still watching Joe Pickett. I wish there was a third season, but I read it was canceled.

Janet, we both picked out the color the last time and got the color wrong, lol. The gray had too much blue in it, but we were painting to sell the house so didn't care. Are you enjoying all the new furniture you bought?

So glad I can stay home today. 

Last edited by DownSouth (12/27/2023 7:54 am)

D e v o n n e

12/27/2023 9:52 am  #36

DEVONNE........THE ONLY SCROOGE MOVIE I REALLY ENJOY IS SCROOGE WITH ALBERT FINNEY FROM 1974 I THINK THE YEAR IS.  IN FACT, I HAVE IT ON ORDER FROM EBAY SINCE I HAVEN'T SEEN IT THIS YEAR AT ALL ON THE TV.  ITS VERY GOOD AND I LOVE THE MUSIC.  YES, ITS A MUSICAL.
AS FOR THE GRINCH, I HAVE SEEN A FEW OF THEM AND ITS PRETTY GOOD.
ITS A CLOUDY DAY SO FAR WITH RAIN NEARBY.  YOU CAN FEEL IT IN THE AIR.

ON THE SUBJECT OF XMAS CAROLS, I PREFER THE XMAS SONGS OVER THE CAROLS THEMSELVES.  THINGS LIKE LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, I'VE GOT MY LOVE TO KEEP ME WARM AND ITS A MARSHMALLOW WORLD.  I LIKE HAPPY MUSIC.   

I THINK I WILL REFRAIN FROM STEPPING ON THE SCALE TIL AFTER NEW YEARS TO GIVE MYSELF TIME TO FINISH OFF LEFTOVERS AND TO GET IN THE MOOD FOR WATCHING MY INTAKE.  THEN I CAN PLAN ON LOSING THE UNWANTED WEIGHT GAIN.

I HAVE BEEN WATCHING A MARATHON OF DOC MARTIN SHOWS FROM ITS START IN 2007.  I HAVE TO ADMIT I REALLY LIKE THIS LAST RECEPTIONIST MORWENNA, BEST.  

TONITE IS BINGO NITE.  IT WILL BE GOOD TO GET BACK TO PLAYING AGAIN AFTER A WEEK OFF.  I AM CROSSING MY FINGERS THAT I COME HOME WITH A BIT OF WIN IN MY POCKET.  EVEN A DOLLAR WILL BE GREAT.  I DISLIKE LOSING MY LAUNDRY QUARTERS TO BINGO.

WISHING YOU ALL A FINE DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (12/27/2023 10:00 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

12/27/2023 11:15 am  #37

Good Morning, it is 52* here, hard to believe!!  It is very cloudy and still down low, but up high there are winds.  Strange day!!  Hope everyone is doing well, I'm not feeling very bright this morning, but that's life!!

The groomer just came and picked up Elly, so that's nice.  She will call when she's bringing her home.  She's a peach, just love her, I'm sure most wouldn't pick her up.  Well, I don't really have anything to say, so will sign off, wishing you all a wonderful day, Love, BJ.

12/27/2023 1:56 pm  #38

Trish, we have variations throughout the main open, adjoining rooms.  An antique white in LR area; a very slightly deeper tint on what I call my zigzag wall in the dining area; deeper gold in kitchen and brighter, lighter yellowish/gold in the windowless laundry/pantry that leads out to the garage.  The whole house was painted cream with white woodwork , except for the LR, when built, by a hired painter.  LR has been repainted same once, the rest I did bit by bit over time.  My painting days are over as are Howard's.  He installed cedar planks, horizontally, when we build the sunroom on in 2000.  It is beautiful now and always, if I do say so...
I like the warmer colors  even if they're not in vogue ATM. 

Carol, ha, ha.  I got it immediately which is seldom the case.  Thank you.  Me, too...good to hear from you. 

I haven't heard from anyone this morning, not even a text.  Unusual.  I doubt I ever hear from my friend who went off on me Christmas Eve day.     And you know, I'm okay with that. Actually I feel a relief.    I have enough here to deal with and don't need her.  What in the world would we ever talk about after that?   I was so dumbfounded, I didn't retaliate and am glad for that, so therefore have a clear conscious.  I could write a book on our relationship and I'm done.  Am thankful she lives far away, not right here, and that we have caller ID, etc.   I wish her well and no harm but now understand more why her 4 girls and a few  others  have chosen to separate themselves, completely from  her.    Guess I'm finally growing up!  

Think we're having leftover chili for supper.   The chili I rescued the awful meatloat with.  Trish's quiche sounds good and I have leftover ham, but Howard's unwilling to eat breakfast for supper and I'm sure he'd think it was scrambled eggs.  We could get  a pizza, too.  Oh my, such decisions.  Actually "I'm" the one who finds the chili unappealing.  You know, 'if Momma's ain't happy, no one's happy,' in a slightly skewed application of that old saw.  

Later, and have a good afternoon.  
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (12/27/2023 2:26 pm)

12/27/2023 2:51 pm  #39

Devonne- I haven’t even sat on the sofa or chairs in the Great Room.  Nice to look at them and the end tables, dining table and chairs…. I have sat in the chairs in the loft a few times.  Two other chairs are downstairs, covered as they didn’t work out as planned for the Great room.

12/27/2023 6:06 pm  #40

Janet, do you have a room that you usually hang out in, a nest?

It’s been drizzley here all day, I stayed in. We finished up the last leftovers from Christmas dinner.

I got the cloth ready for a cross stitch project, and put the first stitches in. 

Board footera