OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/23/2023 6:20 am  #41

Re: ODT SUNDAY 19 NOV ~ SAT 25 NOV

Once I got here, I am having a fabulous visit with family this week. My drive normally takes about 5 hours but took an additional 2 hours due to road construction with a detour. I was sure glad I had filled my gas tank and gone to the bathroom before I hit that unexpected delay. All four grandkids, two grandkids-in-law, and four greats were at David’s house yesterday and will be together again today.

The past few years have been tough with losing Bill, the pandemic, and some health problems. Because of all that I have hardly had chance to really bond with 4 year old great granddaughter Matilda. So it was really special to have her crawl up on my lap yesterday and snuggle with me. Hopefully 15 month old Winnifred will warm up to me today. Olivia (8) and Elinor (7) are both so sweet and lovable.

Last edited by tricia-anne (11/23/2023 9:11 pm)

11/23/2023 8:07 am  #42

TRISH.........ITS ONLY THE 23RD HERE BUT ITS YOUR BIRTHDAY.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.  YOU ARE A DAY AHEAD OF US.  I HOPE YOU HAVE A MARVELOUS DAY.  DO WHAT YOU WANT, ENJOY THE DAY. 

CHERYL.......WOW, LOTS OF COOKING FOR YOU.  FOR ME, I WANT LESS COOKING.  BUT IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY, GO FOR IT.  THERE ARE LOTS OF GOOD THINGS THERE TO ENJOY. 

JUDY.......MY GRDAU G WORKS AT CRACKER BARREL, TOO, AND IS ON DUTY TODAY, 8 TO 8.  THE OWNERS ARE GREAT.  THEY ARE FEEDING THEM A TURKEY DINNER TODAY.  THE EMPLOYEES WERE ASKED TO BRING THEIR FAVORITE DESSERT TO SHARE.  G BROUGHT A COUPLE OF MISSISSIPPI MUD PIES, A FAVORITE IN OUR FAMILY.  SHE EXPECTS TO MAKE OODLES OF TIPS TODAY.  HER BOYFRIEND (THEY HAVE AN APT TOGETHER) WORKS THERE AS A CHEF.

DEVONNE...... LOVE YOUR EMBROIDERY WORK.  SO PRETTY.
I HA.TED MY HOA.  THEY HAD TOO MUCH AUTHORITY ON HOW I SHOULD LIVE.  HAD SOME RUN-INS WITH THEM, ACTUALLY THRU A FUSS BUDGET NEIGHBOR WHO LIED TO THEM.  THEY ALSO TOLD US THE FEES WOULD BE GOING DOWN AFTER SOMETHING WAS PAID FOR, BUT THEY WENT UP INSTEAD.  EVERY YEAR IT COST US MORE.
MY SON'S HOA ON THE OTHER HAND WHERE THEY ALL HAD ABOUT 5  TO 8 ACRES OF LAND AROUND THEM, ONLY HAD YEARLY ROAD-CARE FEES FOR PLOWING AND TRIMMING THE ROADSIDE GRASS.  IT WAS MARVELOUS.  FOLKS KEPT UP THEIR LAND NICELY AND COULD DO WHAT THEY WANTED. 

MARYLOU.......HOW NICE YOU ARE HAVING A WONDERFUL VISIT WITH FAMILY.  ITS A BIG CHANGE FOR YOU.  I AM GLAD YOU ARE ENJOYING THE LITTLE ONES.  

LINDA.....I HOPE YOU GOT YOUR MEDS REFILL AND FEEL BETTER AGAIN.  ENJOY YOUR DAY.

I NEVER WENT TO BINGO.  A COUPLE OF OTHERS DIDN'T EITHER SO THEY SHUT IT DOWN FOR THE NITE.  THE OTHERS HAD PLANS FOR DOING THINGS FOR T-DAY.  ME, I WAS JUST NOT FEELING IT.  
TODAY I HAVE A T-BREAST TO ROAST AND SAUSAGE BREAD STUFFING AND MASHED.  JUST WHAT I LIKE AND NOTHING EXTRA.  I WILL SHARE WITH MY NEIGHBOR BESIDE ME AND HIS LITTLE DOG AND HAVE LOTS LEFTOVER FOR MYSELF FOR MORE MEALS.

ITS A BEAUTIFUL DAY HERE WITH SUNSHINE AND TEMPS IN THE 40S SO LOVELY OUT THERE.  I NEED TO TAKE OUT MY TRASH AND THEN ITS INDOORS ALL DAY.  I WILL TAKE MY TIME AND ENJOY COOKING FOR ME TODAY.  MY SON AND HIS LOVE MAY DROP IN LATER.  
I AM THANKFUL FOR A NICE FAMILY.
I AM THANKFUL FOR A FULL LARDER.
I AM THANKFUL FOR NO WORRIES.
WISHING YO ALL THE SAME.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (11/23/2023 8:20 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

11/23/2023 8:20 am  #43

HAPPY Thanksgiving.
Bless-ed are those who have loving, caring families.

Last edited by tricia-anne (11/23/2023 9:11 pm)

11/23/2023 8:21 am  #44

11/23/2023 10:50 am  #45

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!  Hope you all have a wonderful day, I'm sure I will.  We have 3 dogs running around here.  Really different!!  I don't have much to say this morning, so will just sign off, wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving, I'm sure mine will be.  Love, BJ.

11/23/2023 11:00 am  #46

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Gobble, gobble until you wobble, lol! 

D e v o n n e

11/23/2023 7:16 pm  #47

Greg was my only company. We made homemade tacos and mexican white cheese dip. The cheese dip wasn't great, so we'll try a different cheese next time. I also made a banana pudding. Gary texted me happy Thanksgiving. I asked him to bring the kids over tomorrow for lunch so they can have some pudding. I missed Carter not being here. 

Trish, I'm glad to see Randy Travis is still alive. I know his health is bad, but I want him to live as long as he can, lol! I watched a movie with him in it called "A Holiday to Remember"...it's on You Tube (for free). 

Did anyone see my post with the embroidery pictures of "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" and the Hot Cocoa one? I thought I had posted it twice, so deleted it!

Last edited by DownSouth (11/23/2023 7:18 pm)

D e v o n n e

11/23/2023 9:21 pm  #48

SANDRA  THANK YOU!  You are so thoughtful! I do hope you enjoy your turkey, I love the stuffing, baked separately, and will do it again for our Christmas, the boys love it too. You have a lot to be thankful for, and so do I, so I will be thankful  ==== I have a wonderful family and friends, and good health. 
I also am thankful for a cool day, because I made one of  my Christmas pudding/cakes, it has to steam for 4 hours, so it's been a great day for that.
And I am thankful for the many messages from friends I have received today. I am blessed

JANET you made me sad, I do feel for you with your family, I would love to be there to give you a hug, I don't know what I'd do in your situation, I would miss my boys terribly.

MARYLOU you ar having a wonderful visit, always a good idea NOT to drink too much on a long drive, I got caught out visiting my sis, we got caught in bad traffic on the way home, and I had to hold on for a few hours, I ran fast when we stopped LOL

DEVONNE I am glad you spent some time with Greg, and hopefully you will see the kids tomorrow, it's hard when you have to see a lot  of people, sometimes you just need to spread it out. I did see your designs, Hope you can repost them, they are on the other page, and if I go check I'll loose this post!

HOLLY I'm sure you are having a good time with your family as well

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL !!

BJ I hope you and Tracy and family are having a wonderful visit (((hugs))))

I am heading out to get some more "stuffing" for my baskets. Pete is going to join us for dinner tonight, he's been messaging me all day.

I hope that SAN's DH is OK, and that our darling STRINGS and her family are OK as well as all our other "family" here. 

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

11/24/2023 5:53 am  #49

Trish- thanks for the hug.

11/24/2023 10:00 am  #50

IT SOUNDS LIKE MOST EVERYONE HAD A WONDERFUL TURKEY HOLIDAY.  GOOD FOR YOU.  WHETHER WITH FAMILY OR FRIENDS OR ALONE, ONE CAN BE THANKFUL.  

WE HAD A LOVELY DAY FOR IT WITH SUNSHINE AND TEMPS IN THE 40S WHICH WAS NICE.  THE BUILDING CLEARED OUT PRETTY FAST IN THE MORNING WITH FOLKS GETTING PICKED UP BY FRIENDS AND FAMILY FOR A DAY OUT.  I WAS LUCKY TO SEE THEM OFF WHEN I PASSED THRU THE LOBBY RETURNING FROM TRASH OUT.   ME, I ENJOYED JUST STAYING HOME AS USUAL.  GOT WISHES FROM EVERYONE BY TEXT WITH PICTURES.  SENT WISHES ALONG THE SAME WAY.  MODERN TECHNOLOGY CAN BE WONDERFUL.

I HAVE LOTS OF LEFTOVERS SO WILL NOT STARVE IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS.  MY NEW CARVING KNIFE IS WONDERFUL.  IT WAS SO EASY TO CARVE THE TURKEY THIS TIME.  AS FOR ME, I WAS SO FULL OF TURKEY BREAST, FOR AWHILE THERE I THOUGHT I WOULD BE HAPPY NOT TO SEE IT AGAIN FOR ANOTHER YEAR.  BUT THAT FEELING PASSED WHEN MY OVERFULL TUMMY WAS BACK TO NORMAL.
AS FOR ME TODAY I WILL HAVE A QUIET DAY OF WATCHING TV AND PLAYING SOLITAIRE AND NOT EVEN COOKING ANYTHING.  I HAVE LEFTOVERS APLENTY AND I PLAN ON HAVING A HOT FUDGE SUNDAE LATER IN THE DAY.  OVER THE WEEKEND I WILL BE THINKING ABOUT WHAT TO SEW NEXT AND MAYBE SITTING AT MY MACHINE AGAIN ON MONDAY.  I THINK MY MOJO IS RETURNING.
WISHES FOR YOU ALL TO HAVE A NICE RESTFUL DAY.
HUGS TO ALL, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (11/24/2023 10:06 am)

11/24/2023 10:27 am  #51

Happy Birthday Trish!
Ashley sent me a pic of her “new” doggie, an elderly looks like chichihua named Minnie Pearl. 
We had a wonderful day at Heather’s! I didn’t have any dessert, I was too stuffed! And we finally got to give Eddie his birthday gifts, 2 months late. When one kid has a birthday, the other kid also gets a gift, something I’ve always done. So all 4 grands plus Eddie’s girlfriend Steph, got gifts. Everyone was happy. 
I just took down the fall wreath and decorations, and got out the Xmas ones.

11/24/2023 10:54 am  #52

We had a good day yesterday. Everyone gathered at David’s to watch the parade in the morning. Then the little ones and this senior citizen needed naps so they went home and I came back to motel for a couple of hours. We all went to David’s in-laws for the main meal in the evening. I’m spending the day today sewing at the motel. When David gets off work (hopefully earlier than usual quitting time) he will pick me up to go to his house. Zach and his wife will be joining us for a game night. My plan of being here almost a week and seeing family whenever they have time is working out great, especially since I brought my sewing machine to have something to do between visits.

11/24/2023 10:57 am  #53

The gym was literally empty.  You’d think people would want to work off all those calories from yesterday? 
I made all the usuals for TDay for just the 2 of us and have plenty of leftovers.  An entire 1/2 turkey breast went straight into the freezer.  We’ll do leftovers tomorrow. 
Back to whole wheat pasta tonight.
    LQS had a Black Friday sale…only bought interfacing and a charm pack as a gift.  I had purchased a lot at a different LQS who has been running their sale since Monday. 
    Happy Birthday Trish.

11/24/2023 11:31 am  #54

We, too, had a wonderful Thanksgiving with the bonus of having Danny and Emmy there.  He should have been a comedian.  He makes everyone laugh.  While there are other family dynamics, I'm so blessed to have two kids who love me dearly.  Dan hugged me at length both coming and going, big bear hugs.
This isn't nice, but at this point in his life, (age 53 on 12/1)  he realizes that his dad, who he went to live with when he was 10, only wanted him to get him away from me.  I know this by some of the comments he now makes.  No matter what, I was always careful not to tell him my "side" of things when  he innocently "sang" his dad's praises to me many times. He so wanted it to be that way...  ML, being 9 years older, had a totally different perspective and Dan's shared many of his conclusions with her in the last few years.  They're quite close all things considered.    Another reason for me to be thankful.  Sometimes I, "Mom" am the butt of their mutual humor.  I can take it!  

Trish, at one point, Danny started talking about his Aussie friend.  So...I got to brag about MINE and tell him about you and yours. He's such a great mimic, which I'm not, so he entertained us with his account of his friend in his Aussie accent.   I can take or leave our new tv show, NCIS, Sydney, except for knowing that this is your home and all the buildings, bridge, Opera House and harbor are where you live.  

Next in the extended family saga is Howard's great grandson's 1st birthday party on Dec. 16th.  We're going (2 1/2 hrs. away) weather-permitting.  Jane, Howard's ex and my friend  wants to come from Alabama, weather-permitting and we'll see if David is even invited.  I won't blat about that whole scenario to all of  you again.   We're just excited that WE got invited, since not so at H's grandson's recent wedding.

It costs $7 per car to get into the Indiana Dune State Park, BUT today, that fee is waived to give Black Friday shoppers an alternative.  Since it's cold and I couldn't walk on the trails if it wasn't, we may take just  a drive there and around.   When I was young-er, it was one of my favorite places and we very seldom go to Lake Michigan, now.(as I've fumed about here),  I'm still deciding but Howard has agreed  which is something!  

Mary Lou, what a nice post you wrote.  So glad you're having a wonderful time at David's.  Four little girls, besides all the others, is a wonderful legacy for you and Bill, sad as that might seem.  I love their old-fashioned names and how nice to snuggle.  A two-hour detour/delay is a long one when you're driving alone, so this is an especially nice time for you.  Hope Lynn is continuing to do well with her treatment. 

Going to carry on...Have a good day.
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (11/24/2023 11:43 am)

11/24/2023 11:44 am  #55

Happy Birthday Trish!!

Sounds like everyone enjoyed yesterday. Us not so much. I'm starting to get over a cold and DH isn't. We've been laying pretty low this week. If the turkey wasn't already thawed we would not have made it, but we did. We cleaned off the bones this morning. So much easier when it's cooled overnight. Didn't even cook off the bones for soup, the critters can have good eating.

We had a few snow flurries yesterday but not even enough to be pretty.

I did a little online shopping this morning for things I couldn't find in town. Except for a couple stockings gifts for DH I'm done shopping. Not many to buy for anymore.

Last edited by tricia-anne (11/24/2023 11:52 pm)

Sew Happy (Patty)
Northern Minnesota

11/24/2023 11:54 am  #56

Judy, thanks for remembering Lynn. She had her last chemo treatment two weeks ago and is beginning to feel a lot better. Surgery (lumpectomy) is scheduled for December 11.

11/24/2023 3:58 pm  #57

I forgot to wish Trish HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  I have a one-track mind anymore.  
Thanks Mary Lou for the update on Lynn.  So glad to hear she's on her way back and her surgery will soon be over.  

Since I'm here:  We did drive out to the Indiana Dunes State Park on free day.  Sat in our car at the beach and watched the white caps roll in and two big dogs frolicking at break neck speed.  We took Fancy so she watched them, too.  Then we drove around the park roads.  All have been changed since I was a kid so it was a bit of a mystery but we ended up at Wilson's Shelter  (erected by the CCC)  where I went many times as a kid, but the best times were our yearly field trips from school...with our individual school kid lunches--no picnics on these trips. We brought our own.   Several trails start from there and I remember walking them up over the big dunes all the way to the beach.     There was a information board explaining how and when the Civilian Conservation Corp started.  It said "when the Stock Mkt. crashed in 1929, 8 million people were out of work and 2 million were homeless.  Young men ages 18 to 23 could get CCC jobs earning $30/month of which $25 was sent directly to their needy homes."  Before our time, but WOW!   Of course, I got hungry and we got me a Reuben sandwich at Culver's.

One other thing,  OUR CREDIT CARD GOT HACKED AGAIN!  Yes, I'm yelling.  This is the 3rd time in a year.  It's always a hassle if you have a few automatic payments coming from it.  This world...

Indy

Last edited by indyanny (11/24/2023 4:14 pm)

11/24/2023 4:21 pm  #58

Janet, maybe the gym people were Black Friday shopping? Or sleeping off Turkey Day?

Mary Lou, that’s a long drive to make alone! That’s great that you got to see all the kids.

11/24/2023 5:42 pm  #59

Holly, yes it is. But other than driving through Memphis it is a pretty easy drive. I time it to avoid rush hour traffic. With two grandkids who are married and two others who live out of state, it would be nearly impossible for everyone to come to my house. If this is the only way I get to spend a holiday with all of them, I will make the drive as long as I am able.

11/24/2023 10:07 pm  #60

I did online ordering today from Amazon. I also ordered flannel fabric for the kids' quilt backings from Joann. I don't see finishing these before Christmas, but that's ok. I have had to relax more because of back pain. Tylenol helps, but it only lasts for 7-8 hours. I hate taking medications of any kind. I probably need to go see a neurologist, but the meds they give you are so strong. I don't like feeling drowsy all day and that's what they do to me. I couldn't drive and take them.

Marylou, so glad you had a safe trip and you got to be with your family. Prayers for Lynn for her upcoming surgery.

Trish, I hope you had a very happy birthday! 

Judy, I enjoyed reading about your visit to the state park and your reminiscing. 

Diana, how is Elmer doing?

I think I surprised everyone by not doing a big Thanksgiving meal this year. Gary came over today and stayed 5 hours. He's never done this, but I'm happy with it. He told me they are having Thanksgiving at their place next year in the shop. That may be too cold, as it's not heated. I told him we can do it here, but I would need help. 

Sandra, like you, I am starting to enjoy my slower, easier days! My back doesn't allow me to stay in the kitchen cooking all day anymore. I will do Christmas here, but I'm asking for covered dishes from everyone. I'll be texting everyone next week & see if anyone replies. 

Theresa, I got your Christmas card today, but haven't opened it yet. It's my first card and I recognized your handwriting!

Janet, they were probably too bloated to go to the gym, lol! 

Last edited by DownSouth (11/24/2023 10:11 pm)

D e v o n n e

Board footera