OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/25/2023 4:37 am  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY OCT 22 ~ SAT 0CT 28

Well, retreat is finally here!  I’m sitting with my coffee and thinking if I forgot to pack everything.  I packed the car myself yesterday  as DH hurt his back a few days ago.  I feel a a little bad leaving him alone for 5 days , but I’m sure I’ll get over that once I start sewing. Lol.  I’ve left him enough lunches and dinners for at least a week. 
    Actually, this retreat is about 20 minutes from here at the Skelton 4H Center (look it up). The place is right on the lake and is very nice.  I’m close enough that if I forgot anything I could dash home to get it….and there’s a quilt shop midway about 10 mins.  I’ll fill you in as the week goes.

10/25/2023 7:49 am  #22

DEVONNE.....THANKS FOR SHARING THE PICS.  LOVE WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN DOING.  THE QUILTING IS LOVELY.
YOU TACKLED THE CUFFS PROBLEM JUST PERFECTLY.
AS FOR THE BINDING, YES, I HAVE DONE IT NUMEROUS TIMES WITH WHs.  NEVER WITH BED AND SNUGGLER QUILTS.  I WANT A BINDING THAT WILL HOLD UP TO SEVERAL WASHINGS FOR THOSE QUILTS AND THE DOUBLE BINDING IS BEST.  IT CAN TAKE THE WEAR AND TEAR.  A WH ON THE OTHER HAND IS RARELY IF EVER WASHED SO A FORWARD WRAP FROM THE BACKING WORKS PERFECTLY AND ITS EASY, TOO.

JANET........I HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT TIME AT RETREAT.  YOU ARE CERTAINLY PACKED WELL FOR IT AND PREPARED FOR ANYTHING.

I MADE EVERYTHING SAUCY YESTERDAY.  THE MEATBALLS, THEN THE STEAK PIZZIAOLA (STEAK SIMMERING A LONG TIME IN SAUCE FOR TENDERNESS AND FLAVOR), AND ALSO SHELL PASTA WITH MEAT SAUCE.  I LOVE THE MEAT FILLING UP THOSE CRANNIES.  I AM A GROUND BEEF KIND OF PERSON.
I SHARED WITH A NEIGHBOR I KNOW APPRECIATES MY COOKING.  HE AND HIS LITTLE DOG ENJOYED THEIR SUPPER.  OSCAR THE DOG LOVED HIS MEATBALL.
I HAVE PLENTY OF LEFTOVERS FOR TODAY.

ITS BINGO NITE TONITE.  I HOPE I CAN WIN A LITTLE BIT.  BREAKING EVEN IS OK, BUT IT ALWAYS FEELS SO GOOD WHEN I COME HOME WITH MORE THAN I LEFT WITH FOR PLAYING.

I WILL GET SOME SEWING IN TODAY.  I MADE A LITTLE RABBIT AS A FRIEND FOR MY BABY DRAGON AND CHOSE A GRAY MOTTLED FABRIC FOR THE RABBIT.  I HAVE SOOOO MUCH STITCHING TO DO TO FINISH ANY OF THEM.   I HOPE TO GET THE HALLOWEEN ONE DONE IN TIME.  I WILL TRY TO TAKE PICS WITH MY OLD CAMERA BUT ITS BEEN SO LONG.  I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO DO IT.  IF I DO I WILL COME BACK WITH PICS.

ITS SUNNY AND BRIGHT AND WARMER TODAY.  IN THE 60S WITH LOWS TONITE IN THE 40S.  CAN'T BEAT THAT.  WINDOWS ARE OPEN ONCE AGAIN.

1.  I AM THANKFUL FOR A WARDROBE SUITABLE FOR ALL WEATHER CONDITONS.  TODAY I'M INTO CAFTANS.
2.  I AM THANKFUL FOR GOOD FOOD FOR MY TABLE.
3.  I AM THANKFUL FOR A SUNSHINEY DAY.
HUGS FOR ALL.  QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (10/25/2023 7:57 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

10/25/2023 8:21 am  #23

I FIGURED IT OUT. 

THIS IS 'BATS ALOFT' WHICH I HOPE TO GET FINISHED BY HALLOWEEN.

THE GOLDFISH WHO WILL WEAR EARMUFFS FOR A COLD MORNING.

AND LASTLY THE 'FRIENDS FOREVER' WH IN THE WORKS.

THAT'S IT FOR NOW.  QB S

Last edited by quiltbea (10/25/2023 8:26 am)

10/25/2023 9:22 am  #24

Last night I thought I had lost my wallet at the ballpark. It's a huge complex, so I was hoping it was back at Gary's RV. It wasn't. We got flashlights and looked around the yard with no luck. When I got ready to leave, I decided to look one more time under my vehicle and there it was! I'm so glad I found it before the dogs did. I learned a lesson to quit carrying it in my pocket. I was glad I was able to go to the grocery store. 

Janet, have a wonderful time at the retreat. Hope you get a lot accomplished!

Sandra, that looks really good! The background fabric is perfect? Have you ever used a light box? There are so many designs in coloring books and tracing them with a light box would be so easy. I've always wanted one, but never bought one. Always traced on a window, lol.

Trish, what size are those 35 squares you are pulling from your stash?

I'm working on the "Happy Fall" panel today and hope to get to the Halloween panel as well. I need to finish these so I can get started back on the Christmas blocks.

I bought a
rotisserie chicken at Sams Club so it will be an easy lunch. 

Patty, I guess snow will be coming soon in your area. It's just hard to imagine snow, it seems way too early. 

Thankful Things - 
1. Thankful I found my wallet.
2. Thankful I can stay home today and sew.
3. Thankful for my sewing room. 

Last edited by DownSouth (10/25/2023 9:29 am)

D e v o n n e

10/25/2023 9:54 am  #25

Good Morning, it's so nice to read the board and find out what everyone is doing!  Love it!!!   I have a headache this morning so not doing much.  It is very still down low, but the leaves are blowing up high.  It rained a bit overnight, but not so right now, so that's good.

Downsouth, so glad you found your wallet, what a worry!!!  Glad you learned a lesson from that!  It is only 42* outside, but fairly bright.  It looks fairly nice outside.  Miss Mommy, glad your sewing days are upon you, have fun!!  I really miss sewing, but just can't do it anymore.  I have tried a few times, but just can't do it, sad...

Well, I don't have anything else to say, so will sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

10/25/2023 10:54 am  #26

Hello, hello.  Been a few days.  We just shouldn't be so busy.  For starters...Howard's lunch mate, Dave had open heart surgery on 7 blockages, too many for stents, last Thursday and he went home yesterday.  We saw him the day before (his surgery) and have kept in touch with Kim all along.  Ironically, or something!, Kim was diagnosed with Covid the day after his surgery.  I'm not up on exactly how that's dealt with and treated these days, but evidently, she could be near him?????   Guess we'll find out when we go see him...at home.  

Yesterday, was a gorgeous, 83 degree fall/summer day and we finally made it up to Lake Michigan for our annual look-see.  I'm still awed by the vastness of it and the color was graduated from light blue to dark teal.  Our usual spot to walk around is being revamped so we just parked and sat in the car.  LIke any huge body of water, viewing it seems to feed my soul.  Howard wouldn't admit that, but I think his, too.  
it's been a bit tense around here.  Howard couldn't get the checkbook to balance and I offered to help him look for the problem.  I found two double entries and except for a 10 cent subtraction error, it balanced.  I was very careful to be understanding and gentle.  The next day, he decided to re-write all the entries in a new register fixing the errors  and ended up with some off-the-wall amount he was off, again. WE got it straightened out again so  our trip to the lake did us both good.  Of course, there was more to it, but I'll just leave it at that.  

Since he had his stroke, almost a year ago, some things have changed, some haven't and sometimes it's a bit difficult to know the difference.  But,  I'm thankful for:

A reasonably daily sameness...it could be much worse.

My daughter's goodness to me and her nearness to us for any physical needs we have.

For my faith and friends and  my sweet fur baby. 

I haven't mentioned any of you, but carefully caught up on your posts and thought of each of you, my family, here. 
Indy 

Last edited by indyanny (10/25/2023 10:56 am)

10/25/2023 11:58 am  #27

We just got home from lunch with the teachers, just us and another couple today. It was a nice visit. It’s beautiful out, 70’s and sunny. 

Judy, how far are you from the lake?
Devonne, what a relief that you found it!
Janet, happy sewing! 
Sandra, sounds so cute! 
Patty, when do you usually get your first snow?

10/25/2023 12:19 pm  #28

AFTERNOON!

DEVONNE, I COULD NOT SEE YOUR PHOTS. WISH I COULD HAVE.

GOT AN OITING YESTERDAY. DSIS HAD AN APPOINTNNET ON THIS SIDE OF TOWN FAIRLY EARLY, SO SHE PICKED ME UP WHEN FINISHED TO GO OUT TO BREAKFAST. A REAL TREAT, SINCE WE DON'T GET OUT TO BREAKFAST MUHC ANY MORE. HER WAL MART DIDN'T HAVE THE KITTY LITTER AND CAT FOOD THAT SHE NEEDED. HER CAT NAMED COOPER IS A VERY PICKY EATER. WE WENT TO THE NEIGHBORHOOL WAL MART NEAR HERE. SHE GOT SOME LITTER BUT NOT THE ONE SHE WANTED. SOME CAT FOOD, BUT NOT FIRST CHOICE. I GOT A FEW THINGS, BUT FORGOT ONE THING. GOT SOME CAKE MIX IN SPICE AND CARROT FLAVORS. ON THE KITCHEN MIXED THE SPICE WITH PUMPKIN PUREE TO MAKE CUP CAKES. ON FACE BOOK THERE WAS A VERSION USING CARROT CAKE MIX AND THE PUMPKIN. WANT TO TRY THEM BOTH. IF ONE IS BETTER TAHN THE OTHER, WILL TAKE TO BARBARA'S NEXT MONTH. FORGOT THE PUREE, SO CAN'T TRY  YET. DID GET THE MIXES AND CONTAINERS OF CREAM CHEESE FROSTING. WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THEY COME OUT. ANYWAY IT WAS NICE TO GET OUT.

FOR BREAKFAST WE TRIED TO GO TO A LOCAL FAVORITE, THEY WERE CLOSED DUE TO WATEER ISSUES. SINCE GETTING CLOSE TO CVUT OFF IME, WE ENDED UP AT CRACKER BARRELL. A HARDSHIP, I KNOW.

I HAVE HAVE BEEN DOING A PROJECT. SEVERAL YEARS AGO, BOUGHT A TURKEY STATUE/FIGURINE. DIDN'T LIKE THE COLORS ON IT OR THE HEAVY GLITTLER. TRIED A SMALL WIRE BRUSH AND IT WOULDN'T COME OFF. TRIED A GLAZE AND IT IS STILL TO GARISH. WILL TRY A LAYER WITH SOME BROWN MIXED IN. HAD HOPED THE GALZE WOULD TONE DOWN THE GLITTER. HAS A LITTLE BUT NOT ENOUGH.  MY VISION OF HOW I WANT IT TO LOOK IS NOT WHAT IT IS TURNING OUT TO BE. OH WELL, IT WASNT
SEXPENSIVE.

BJ, MISS SEWING TOO. ADMIRE THAT YOU DO SOME EXWERXISE VERY DAY. I AM TRYING TO BE LESS OF A COUCH POTATO.

THINKING OF EVERYONE. PRAYEERS..............................................

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

10/25/2023 6:08 pm  #29

Linda, I'm sorry you couldn't see my pictures. I went back and looked, and they are still visible to me? Glad you got to go eat out. I really enjoy it sometimes, but I don't like eating alone. 

Judy, isn't there always more to the story? It used to be the same for me too, lol. Billy had no clue about our bank account/bills. I don't think I've balanced a checkbook since I got my debit card. 

Yesterday was curbside pickup and I had a lot out there, but he never picked it up. I asked on our forum & learned he came really early. I didn't get it out until 9:30. I forgot to get it out the night before, so I learned another lesson, lol! It was heavy to take back to the garage.

I got the Fall wallhanging squared up, batting & backing cut and got it all pinned together. That's as far as I got today, lol. 

Last edited by DownSouth (10/25/2023 6:09 pm)

D e v o n n e

10/25/2023 7:08 pm  #30

DEVONNE, GOT TO SEE YOUR PHOTOSS! GLAD I DID. NICE QUILTING.

A ZIG ZAG STITCH CAN BE USED IN PLACE OF A SERGER. GIVES SOME STRETCH. . NOT TOO WIDE OR TOO CLOSE TOGETHER. MAKE A TEST RUN TO DECIDE THE BEST SETTINGS. HOPE I MADE IT CLEAR. MAYBE WIDER THAN CLOSE TOGETHER. PLAY AROUND WITH SOME KNIT FABRICS. EVEN THE SCRAPES SHOWN.

It's and Ps.............

strings

10/25/2023 8:18 pm  #31

Sorry about the duplicate posts. Finally figured out how to fix it.

strings

10/25/2023 9:55 pm  #32

Janet, I looked at your retreat site, it is really nice.  Have a good time.

Yes, we're expecting snow anytime.  We can get it in October but it doesn't usually stay.  In 1991 we had a Halloween blizzard, 31st to the 3rd,  37"!! 😲. It's still talked about.  When I was younger we used to go snowmobiling on Thanksgiving when the relatives gathered.  These days we may or may not have snow at Thanksgiving.  Always have it for Christmas and then it doesn't stop til April.

Sew Happy (Patty)
Northern Minnesota

10/26/2023 5:25 am  #33

SANDRA, SO SORRY ABOUT THE SHOOTINGS!

strings

10/26/2023 6:33 am  #34

LINDA......I HAVE NO IDEA  ABOUT ANY SHOOTINGS.  I NEVER WATCH THE NEWS SO MAYBE I SHOULD CHECK IN TODAY.
I LIKE YOUR TURKEY.  YOU SURE ARE DETERMINED TO GET THAT LOOKING DIFFERENT THAN IT WAS.  I HOPE YOU GET SOME PEACE WITH THAT SOON.
GOOD LUCK AT THE DENTIST FOR THAT FILLING TODAY.

DEVONNE......I HAVE A LIGHT BOX.  SINCE I DO NOT HAVE A PRINTER I CANNOT PRINT ANY PAGES OFF TO USE SO HAVE TO SKETCH THEM.  I GET SOME FROM THE COLORING PAGES GROUPS BUT AS I SAID, I STETCH THEM.  WHEN I USE THEM, I MAKE A COPY ON MY LIGHT BOX SO I CAN SAVE THE ORIGINAL IN CASE I WANT TO USE IT AGAIN FOR ANOTHER PROJECT.

I LOST 25 CENTS AT BINGO LAST NITE.  TWO OF MY LADIES DECIDED TO SIT BESIDE OUR SLOW PLAYER AND HELP HER SO I COULD CONCENTRATE ON CALLING.  I STILL HAD AN URGE TO LOOK OVER AT HER CARDS.  ONE OF THE LADIES GETS MORE EASILY UPSET WHEN L DOES SOMETHING WRONG BUT IN THE END, L WON ONCE SO THAT WAS GOOD AND I COULD DO MY JOB.  THEY ACTUALLY LEARNED THAT ITS HARDER THAN THEY THOUGHT TRYING TO KEEP TRACK OF THEIR OWN AND ANOTHER'S CARDS.  ONE LADY GOT A BIT EXASPERATED.  
ON HALLOWEEN NIGHT WE ARE HAVING A PIZZA PARTY IN OUR COMMON ROOM.  THE MGMT IS BUYING PIZZA AND DRINKS FOR IT SO THAT'S GOOD OF THEM.  SO FAR 17 HAVE SIGNED UP FOR IT.  THAT'S A GOOD COUNT IN A 24-PERSON BUILDING.  I WILL BRING A BAG OF PEANUT BUTTER CUPS FOR SNACKING.

MY DAY IS GOING TO BE QUIET.  I STILL HAVE LEFTOVERS TO EAT SO WILL MAKE A PLAN TO SATIN-STITCH MY 'BATS ALOFT' WH.  I WANT TO HANG THAT ON MY DOOR BY HALLOWEEN.

I AM THANKFUL FOR A WARM APARTMENT.
I AM THANKFUL FOR A FULL LARDER OF FOODSTUFF.
I AM THANKFUL FOR KIDS THAT CARE AND CHECK UP EVERY DAY.

HUGS FOR YOU ALL.  QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (10/26/2023 6:46 am)

10/26/2023 8:04 am  #35

SANDRA, PRESS CONFERENCE AT 10:30 AM.

strings

10/26/2023 9:59 am  #36

Good Morning to everyone.  It is pretty cool outside this morning, only 37*, but bright and very still.  The sky is bright blue with lots of clouds.  My garbage guy hasn't come yet, am watching for him, he's really nice, brings my can inside and puts it away for me, I really appreciate that.  Can't believe how still it is outside.

I have no plans for the day, Rhonda is coming by later and is going to Costco, haven't decided if I'm going with her or not.  Would be good to get outside, I'll have to decide eventually.

Well, I don't have anything to say, so will just sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

10/26/2023 12:08 pm  #37

My back hasn't been cooperating so I've been taking it easy today. I'm headed to take a long hot bath.

Really sad about the shootings in Lewiston, Maine. Last night they said 22 were dead and 13 injured, now I think it's 18 dead. He just got out of a mental health facility....not sure if he was released, or he walked out on his own. I think he is still not apprehended.

Last edited by DownSouth (10/26/2023 12:09 pm)

D e v o n n e

10/26/2023 1:33 pm  #38

I'm horrified by the loss of life, too.  As for the news, Howard would have it on all day and does sometimes.  Today, after a "discussion", he's listening to it on his hearing aids which, thankfully, is no sound for me.  I can't convince him that part of his glumness is due to the constant bad news.  He still camps down here most of the time, now.  We did go thru our little fire safe this morning and made a list of all that is in there.   For the moment...we know where our birth certificate and our wills are!    Other things, too...

Holly, we are 10 miles due south of Lake Michigan.  While there is a Natl. Lakeshore National Park, now, I most enjoyed the Indiana Dunes State Park as a younger person--the trails, the beach, etc.
Now, since I can't hike, I just want to drive there and look at the lake for a bit...once a year.  It's all quite beautiful and has a huge eco-system, of which I know very little.  Howard is reluctantly willing but does not have the desire that I do to urge him.  I do have some good memories from school field trips.  

Yes, Devonne, "there's always more to the story" but sometimes I share too much here and regret it.  
Hope resting your back and the hot bath did the trick.  Embroidery machine and their usage is all Greek to me.  I admire your ability and desire to keep at it.

ML called a bit ago.  Wanted to come get me and take me to the Porter Co. Museum, free day today.  I almost never turn her down, but my kitchen was ready to walk and (after being side tracked by the safe), I most  of all wanted to get it cleaned up.  She was okay about it, just wanted to share some things she saw while there. 

Off to continue that...   Have a good afternoon and evening.  
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (10/26/2023 1:37 pm)

10/26/2023 5:16 pm  #39

My heart aches for the people and families in Lewiston.  So sad. 

Nothing much going on here.  We had the grandkids for a few days last week and that was fun.  Had all four of them on Saturday night and Sunday.  Gabriel had a band concert on Saturday and the kids all went.

I have a second cataract surgery on November 1.  Doc cleared me from my other  eye surgeries to get the second eye done.  I sure hope it goes better than the left eye.

I went to Joanns because I had some great coupons, but NOTHING I wanted qualified for the coupons as usual. So, I did not buy anything and threw the coupons out.

Made a Western Beef Pie (Pillsbury Bake-off recipe from the 1970's lol!) Dean loves it.  It is easy and quick to put together.  It is sort of like a taco flavor with a cornbread topping.

I was outside enjoying this beautiful weather.  Today was 70 degrees and by next Tuesday it is supposed to be a "winter-mix" of snow and rain.  yucky.  I put all of my flower pots away and Dean trimmed the conifer shrubs/trees around the house.

Happy to see you all doing well.  We are blessed to say the same.  Take care!

10/26/2023 5:30 pm  #40

Judy, the long bath and resting didn't help.  I also feel like I often share too much and I think it's because well...it's just who I am, lol! 

Even with back pain, I finished the Fall wallhanging. I did free motion quilting; turned out ok (with mistakes). You're not supposed to cross the sewing lines. I couldn't even see them all the time, lol. My embroidery foot kept getting loose...no clue why & I broke a needle.

Cheryl, it was 77 here today. I looked at next week's weather and it's going down to the low 60's, 30's at night. I wanted to trim my crepe myrtle trees & roses, but read wait until February in the South.

I'm headed out...have a grocery pickup at Walmart. 

I'm back...here is the Fall wallhanging. 

The backing...I've had this fabric for years!

Last edited by DownSouth (10/26/2023 8:09 pm)

D e v o n n e

Board footera