OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

9/24/2023 4:15 am  #1

ODT SUNDAY OCT 22 ~ SAT 0CT 28

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

10/22/2023 4:16 am  #2

Re: ODT SUNDAY OCT 22 ~ SAT 0CT 28

Good morning to you all!

It's late Sunday here, been a busy day, we had the Village Fair today, only a short walk from our place, so I went, it was good, lots of stalls and plenty of people there. We have an A/C problem though, it's hot and going to be the next few days, the darn thing smells, I think something has got into the roof cavity, Pete went into the roof tonight, he said he can't really tell, but he thinks maybe a mouse could have got into it somewhere. Gary will look at it next weekend, or I will ask him to find me someone who can come out to do it. Always something isn't it LOL

SANDRA so nice of you to share out like that, and mac/cheese is a good one to share. I agree on the price of things, so expensive for everything now, I don't fill many supermarket bags for my money now! I'm gad you are getting  your new phone, it might take a little getting used to, but you will get the hang of it.

DEVONNE too sad for Gary, he had a bad dose of covid, and many are taking a long, long time to recover, and unfortunately some don't ((((hugs)))) I know you worry about him we all do - even though they are adults, they are still our kids!

HOLLY thanks for the recommendation, I'll look up the author, the other you mentioned I can borrow from the library, I do love my Kindle though, so easy to lug around if I'm waiting at Drs - and I will be this week.

​BJ enjoy =19.5pxhaving the =19.5pxfamily this weekend,  will you go for ice cream? I know you love it!

Nothing much happening here, the Mr went to a bowling club that is closing down while I went to the Fair, then he went to the soccer, hot for the players, it was a 3pm game, so they had the hot part of the day. 

I wanted to go to Victorias Basement - but ended up coming home after the fair, they have a big sale on, I would like a rectangle casserole to bake my sourdough, I have a round one, but I also have the rectangle 'shaper' box - banneton I think they call them. I made 2 loaves yesterday, but didn't have anything to cook the rectangle one in, and it seemed to be overcooked just being in the oven without a cover. It was fine inside, but really hard on the crust. The baking dishes have to be able to take a very hot oven.

Nothing much happening here, I need to get moving on my scrap box, I have been puling out squares, I need 35 for each block, and also 35 blocks, so I'm putting them into piles LOL still not making a dent in the container though.

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

10/22/2023 6:17 am  #3

I'M EARLY THIS MORNING.  NOTHING TO DO AND NOT ABLE TO SLEEP SO UP AT 5 THIS MORNING.  DID A FEW CROSSWORD PUZZLES.  TRIED TO FALL BACK ASLEEP BUT IT DIDN'T WORK.  I GUESS I WILL SEW A BIT TODAY.  FIRST I NEED TO PRESS SOME FABRICS AND CUT THEM TO SIZE FOR MY PROJECTS.  MAYBE I SHOULD TRY TO FINISH THE SATIN-STITCHING ON MY PINK IRIS GARDEN WH FIRST.  ITS BEEN SITTING BESIDE MY MACHINE FOR MONTHS NOW.  DON'T YOU JUST HATE WHEN YOU CAN'T MAKE UP YOUR MIND?

IT LOOKS LIKE WE MAY GET SOME RAIN AGAIN TODAY.  GOT QUITE A BIT LAST NITE. 

TRISH......I HOPE YOU FIND OUT THE A/C PROBLEM NOW THAT YOU ARE GOING INTO HEAT MODE.  NOTHING WORSE THAN FEELING OVERHEATED IN SUMMER.

I MAY CHECK IN LATER AGAIN TODAY.  WITHOUT MY PHONE, I WILL BE ON THE PUTER MORE I THINK. 
WHY AM I THANKFUL?
1.  I AM BLESSED WITH LOTS OF FABRIC AND CHOICES TO GET ON WITH SOME CUTE PROJECTS.
2.  WE HAVE BEEN HAVING A MILD AUTUMN SO FAR. 
3.  MY KNEE IS SO MUCH BETTER TODAY.

HUGS FOR YOU ALL.  QB S 

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

10/22/2023 9:52 am  #4

Good Morning to everyone!!  It is a cool, very still day outside, it's 55*.  Have no plans for the day, Tracy did my pedicure last night and will do my manicure today.  She's a peach, still sleeping this morning.  Jamie is up and Frank just got up.  Jamie mowed the lawn yesterday, so nice!!

Tracy here, we did get icecream yesterday. Snow Goose closed for the season so we are stuck with Dairy Queen.
We also went to the quilt shop and I bought a bunch of really cool funky fabrics. Not sure what in the world I will do with them but my collection has new friends now. Doing our part supporting small local business .
We stopped at a roadside stand and bought a lovely bouquet and some apples, also a pumpkin to adorn the front entry. I made a wreath last week with some of our flowers and it is still lovely, the pumpkin added a fall flare. Hubby picked some apples off the very top of the tree,(he's 6'8")  I followed an old recipe and baked a fresh pie, could have cooked longer but still yummy. I made a clam chowder for dinner too so nobody will go hungry here. Be well ladies. Thank you for loving each other so well  (oops, I stuck my edit in the middle of mom's post) 

Well, I really don't have anything else to say so will just sign off for now, hoping you are all well.  Sending love and best wishes, BJ.

Last edited by WA-BJ (10/22/2023 4:56 pm)

10/22/2023 2:14 pm  #5

One party done, one to go! We were to an 80th and 90th birthday party for SIL Donna’s mom and aunt. It was nice to be with family, and the food was good. Tonight we’re going to dinner at niece Sharon’s for SIL Charlotte’s 75th. 

It’s nice and sunny, mid 50’s. 

10/22/2023 5:18 pm  #6

I hope you are all enjoying beautiful fall weather like we are having in southern Illinois! The sun is shining, temperature is in the 60’s, only a slight breeze, and leaves are beginning to turn.

This has been a busy week for me, partly with regular things like counting money at church and exercise class. But I also made a trip to Carbondale (30 miles) to take sewing machine for service. When I took the bobbin case out to clean out the lint, there was a small loose metal piece just laying there. I had no idea where it had broken off from. Levi, the repairman, called me a couple of days later with some questions … the final conclusion was that it didn’t come off the machine. But I can’t figure out where it did come from. Levi said maybe it broke off the walking foot and made its way under the bobbin. But my walking foot looks and operates fine. 🤷🏼‍♂️

My SIL and I also went to talk to a clerk at another store. We had talked to her earlier in the summer while she made some bows for us. She and her husband have a special needs son and they are hoping to use their large farmhouse as a home for special needs adults. Gay and I were so touched by her story that we have talked several times since then about how we can help her. As a quilter, my thought is to provide a quilt for each bed. It will take a while to make enough for that but it is going to be a while before they are ready to accept residents. I have one done and we took it to her for her son. She was in tears to think that two total strangers want to help. Gay does not sew at all but I’m thinking that I might tie (tack) some of the quilts and she could help with that. Also, two years ago someone anonymously donated a quilt for the fundraiser for my nephew’s memorial fund. The person who won the raffle for it decided they did not want it so we are going to give that quilt to the clerk.

My three things to be thankful for:
1. Beautiful weather.
2. Ability to use my love of quilting to help others.
3. A circle of friends who are a good influence on me. This came to mind because of the sermon I heard today.

Last edited by tricia-anne (10/23/2023 8:09 pm)

10/22/2023 8:44 pm  #7

Sandra- glad you found the fabric. I didn’t have what you needed.
Very busy the last few days getting ready for this week’s retreat. There’s the projects and “doodads” as DH calls my rulers, mats, cutters, etc. And of course clothes and toiletries, etc for 5 days. Then of course I have to leave meals and such for DH, and still do the usual things like cook , wash and clean. Whew!
And since I’m the co-chair for this retreat there’s all the other stuff, like prizes, goodie bags, menus, etc. We have to go the day before to set up tables, etc. Good thing the location is about 20 mins from home. “So close, yet so far away” lol. I can’t wait.

10/23/2023 6:11 am  #8

ANOTHER EARLY MORNING FOR ME BUT IF ITS LIKE YESTERDAY, I WILL DOZE OFF WATCHING SOME TV THIS MORNING.  I NEED TO CATCH ENOUGH SLEEP.  UP EARLY TO GET IN TOUCH WITH MY KIDS ON EMAILS THEN CHECK FOR RECIPES AND MY HOMESTEAD CHANNELS.  KEEPS ME AWAKE FOR A GOOD BIT SO I CHECK IN HERE AS WELL.

A NICER DAY TODAY.  SUN IS EXPECTED TODAY AFTER A COUPLE DAYS OF SHOWERS.  NICE TEMPS THOUGH.  STILL NO FROSTY NITES BUT PRETTY CLOSE.  
I WAS BUSY WITH MY PROJECTS YESTERDAY.  PRESSED MY BITS AND CUT THEM TO SIZES NEEDED FOR THE 3 WHS.  THEN IT WAS SEWING.  I GOT MANY OF THE BITS ON MY BATS ALOFT WH ADDED.  ITS LOOKING PRETTY CUTE.  I WANTED TO GET THAT ONE DONE FOR THIS YEAR.  WHEN ONE IS ON A ROLL, ONE HATES TO STOP.  THEREFORE THE POTATO PANCAKES I HAD PLANNED FOR SUPPER WERE LEFT FOR ANOTHER DAY.  INSTEAD I MADE A QUICK SANDWICH FOR SUPPER.   I HAVE SOME BROWNED GROUND BEEF DEFROSTING AND SOME PORK CHOPS SO WILL DECIDE WHAT TO COOK LATER.  I ALSO HAVE SOME FRESH STRAWBERRIES I NEED TO EAT FOR DESSERT LATER. 
LAST NIGHT I DECIDED TO FINALLY WATCH JURASSIC, WORLD DOMINION, THE MOVIE.  I GOT IT ON SPECTRUM AS A RENTAL SO IT WAS NICE.  BETTER THAN WATCHING ON MY COMPUTER.  MY TV SCREEN IS 45 INCHES. I LOVE THE SIZE FOR MOVIES.  I AM GLAD I FINALLY SAW IT.  I KEPT WAITING FOR IT TO COME TO TV BUT GOT TIRED OF WAITING. AND IT ONLY COST $3.99 SO A CHEAP DATE.

BJ......ITS GOOD TO SEE YOU POSTING EVERY DAY.  AND TRACY, THANKS FOR THE UPDATES.  I AM GLAD YOU ARE GETTING MOM AND DAD OUT AND ABOUT.  SORRY THE ICE CREAM PLACE CLOSED FOR THE SEASON BUT DQ IS OK IN A PINCH I'M SURE.

MARYLOU.....HOW NICE OF YOU TO AGREE TO MAKE QUILTS FOR THOSE FOLKS.  ITS A GENEROUS IDEA.  I HOPE IT ALL PANS OUT WELL FOR THEIR IDEA.

JANET.......HAVE A NICE TIME AT RETREAT FOR 5 DAYS.

I AM THANKFUL AS USUAL.....
1.  FOR WAKING UP AND ABLE TO USE MY LIMBS TO GET AROUND.
2.  TO SEEING ANOTHER SUNSHINEY DAY.  I NEED THE SUNSHINE AND AM NOT COMFY WITH GRAY DAYS THAT LAST LONGER THAN ONE DAY.
3.  FOR HAVING SEWING PROJECTS TO KEEP ME BUSY.
HAVE A GOOD DAY MY FRIENDS.  STAY SAFE.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (10/23/2023 6:29 am)

10/23/2023 9:38 am  #9

I went to bed early last night, about 11:30, so I was up before 8. We waited til after 9 to go food shopping, so the school busses were all done. So that’s done for another few weeks! It’s sunny and 50’s out. 

We had a nice meal and visit at niece Sharon’s last night. They have a lot of cats- each of the 4 kids has at least one, plus the couple of family cats. Only 3 came out to be petted on. 

Janet, that’s a lot of prep! How many quilts will you try to complete? 

10/23/2023 9:50 am  #10

Good Morning to everyone!  I am feeling a little lazy this morning, but am dressed and done my exercises and took Frank his coffee.  So am up to speed!!  It is 50* outside, been raining, don't think it is right now, but totally still and fairly dark.   Have no energy this morning, just feeling lazy!!

I hope all of you are feeling well and can do the things that need doing!  It's nice when you can get things done.  I can't do much of anything.  Wish I could do some things but just not able.  Can't believe it is so still outside, not a leaf is stirring.  I don't have anything to say, so will sign off, wishing you all well, have a wonderful day, BJ.

10/23/2023 11:04 am  #11

Good morning!

Sorry I didn't make it on here much, and I didn't bump and lock the threads. We were having some thunder & lightning 🌩 so I was watching it storm. Yesterday was a busy day, as was the entire week.

Anyway, I'm keeping my gratitude journal going and I'm getting much-needed sleep which is fantastic. It's on the top of the list these days! What a difference it makes!

📱 Better run! Back later. Have a great day!

(((hugs!!!))) & prayers!     ~MnM~ aka Diane

"The secret to having it all is believing you do!" 

10/23/2023 11:49 am  #12

Greg & Carter came yesterday and he brought me his old Yamaha piano keyboard. He bought a more expensive one. We are both learning together. Of course, he's way more advanced than me!

I'll be back later to read posts. Going to call Sis and head to the sewing room to finish this quilt. I have other projects waiting. "Sew many projects, sew little time!" 

D e v o n n e

10/23/2023 1:02 pm  #13

Holly- it’s hard to say.  I’m brining about 6-7 projects in different stages.  One I particular has gone to about 5 retreats. Lol.  It’s quite involved with a lot of small pieces.  I think this will be the last of the blocks necessary Before assembly.  Another is cut but not pieced at all. I prefer to do my cutting at home.  Too many distractions at retreats often results in cutting error.  And yet another has all the blocks done but not assembled, and so on….and I also have a wool emb project in the box.   Hopefully, even though I’m one of the retreat committee members, I won’t be bothered too much by attendees.  🥴

Last edited by tricia-anne (10/23/2023 8:08 pm)

10/23/2023 8:25 pm  #14

Hi all

So nice to hear from TRACY and BJ  I'm glad you got your ice cream, one thing about Australia we don't close down Ice cream in winter LOL. 

HOLLY I ordered at the library  from both those authors - one was available in Kindle for free, the other not, so I decided I may as well get them both.

SANDRA I still haven't found my fabric either, I wonder where I put it, I think it's time I got rid of most of my stash, it's just taking up room, I forgot I had so much, when I went looking for fabric to cut into 2 1/2" strips I wanted 81 different ones if possible, that was really easy, so I do need to cull it down, someone will take it I'm sure.

JANET that is how I prep too, I take too much, but sometimes you get bored working on the same thing, other times I just want to toss it all out if it's going wrong, better to be prepared. I also help out with the management, food orders tc.

DEVONNE funny I have been seeing adds for a keyboard here, I was thinking about it, trying NOT to get one though, there just isn't enough time in the day.

MARYLOU that is a great idea to give out the quilts, and also really strange about the metal piece, could it be a part of a needle, OR where you take the plate off, could something have come off that. I hope you find out what, hate to think of something floating in the machine don't you? Our machines are expensive.

DIANE hope you can visit again with us soon, we miss friends when we don't hear from them.

I am grateful that the hot weather will ease tomorrow, AND that the a/c smell isn't so bad that I can't use it. LOL (I have sprayed the filters and outlets with Glen20 LOL)

I am grateful for my eyes, I know it sounds funny, but cataract surgery is getting close, and it makes me realise how lucky I am to be able to see as well as I do.

And I am grateful to have found my training group, it's helped so much mentally, much  more than physically!

I have bread rising, going to bake a loaf and take to Sara tomorrow, I wa going to last weekend, but the loaf didn't turn out well.
I need to call in to the meat market if I can, they have gravy beef on sale and I can make Mussaman beef for the boys, they love it. I have Drs appointment tomorrow, he needs to fill out a form for me for driving, we have to have a Drs clearance at 75 for a drivers license (I will be 75 next month) . at 80 we need to do a driving test every year.
PLUS visit my kidney Dr to get a new bookwork form, and get some tings at Aldi for the Wednesday specials. So tomorrow will be busy.

Last edited by tricia-anne (10/23/2023 8:28 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

10/24/2023 8:14 am  #15

TRISH......THE GOOD THING ABOUT CATARACT SURGERY IS ITS SO SIMPLE AND QUICK AND THE RESULTS CAN BE TRULY AMAZING.  I UNDERSTAND THAT EVERYONE WILL NEED IT IN THEIR LIFETIME IF THEY LIVE LONG ENOUGH.  SOME EARLIER IN THEIR LIFE AND SOME LATER, BUT IN THE END, EVERYONE NEEDS IT.

DEVONNE........DON'T FORGET TO POST PICS OF YOUR WORK.  I LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

I ENJOYED WORKING ON MY SEWING YESTERDAY.  I WILL SEW AGAIN TODAY.  I WILL ALSO TAKE OUT MY TRASH AND THEN DO SOME COOKING.  THE PORK CHOPS I TOOK OUT TO DEFROST WERE ACTUALLY A NICE NY SIRLOIN STEAK.  I HAD THE PACKAGE IN ANOTHER PAPER BAG SO THOUGHT BY THE SIZE OF IT IT WAS A FEW PORK CHOPS IN THE PACKAGE.  I SEE STEAK PIZZAIOLA BEING MADE TODAY.  WITH MEAT SAUCE AND WITH SHELL PASTA TO CATCH ALL THE GOOD MEATSAUCE IN ITS COILS.  I HAVE NO IDEA NOW WHEN I CAN GET TO THE POTATO PANCAKES.  SOON I HOPE.

I HAVE MY FABRIC FOR MY LITTLE DRAGON, BUT I WANT TO ADD A CUTE LITTLE FRIEND BESIDE HIM/HER AND HAVE YET TO DECIDE WHAT THAT WILL BE.  IT CAN'T BE ANYTHING LARGE SINCE MY DRAGON IS A BABY.  MAYBE A PRETTY CAT CURLED UP BESIDE HIM.  MY BRAIN IS WORKING ON THAT DECISION.

IT WAS COLD THIS MORNING BUT SUNNY, AND STILL ONLY IN THE 40S AFTER 10 AM.  LAST NITE WENT DOWN NEAR TO FREEZING BUT NOT QUITE.  I STILL HAVE NOT TURNED ON MY HEAT BUT I PUT A LIGHT BLANKET OVER ME LAST NITE TO SLEEP COMFY.  THE COOLER AIR FELT GOOD THIS MORNING.

MY LIST CONTINUES TO BE ABOUT THE SAME.....
1.  THANKFUL FOR SUNSHINE THIS MORNING.
2.  THANKFUL FOR A STASH OF FABRIC TO KEEP ME SEWING FOR YEARS TO COME.
3.  THANKFUL FOR GOOD FRIENDS HERE AND OUT THERE (YOU GALS ESPECIALLY), TO KEEP IN CONTACT.
HUGS FOR ALL.  QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (10/24/2023 8:20 am)

10/24/2023 9:35 am  #16

Good Morning to everyone!!  Hope you are all well!!  It is very still outside this morning, not a breath of air. It is 48* so not very warm.  Sharon is coming today to do some cleaning.  And I heard the Vistens are coming to visit with some goodies for dinner.  So nice of them.  I love to see them.  Dick and Frank were State Troopers together for a few years so they always have plenty to talk about.

The birds are flying way up high and the tallest tree I can see from where I sit is stirring just the tiniest bit way up high, by bending over I can see the top of it.  I have no plans for the day, I've done my exercises and am all dressed so have nothing more to do today.  I am having a Strawberry Yogurt for breakfast, It was past the use=by date bit seems to be okay.  I had to throw one package out, it was WAY past the pull-by date.

Well, I don't seem to have anything to say this morning, so will just sign off, wishing you all well.  Hope you have a wonderful day, BJ.

10/24/2023 10:07 am  #17

Trish and other readers, here’s another one. a Single Thread by Marie Bostwick. A woman’s husband wants a divorce, she moves from TX to CT and decides to open a quilt shop, and makes friends. There are others in the series, that was #1. I enjoyed it. 

We went to Sam’s Club, ordered Ralph’s new glasses, and got a bunch of things. My freezer is now bursting! He had a cap on a back molar break off yesterday, so he’s eating soft things til he sees the dentist Friday. 

When we went out yesterday gas at the corner was $3.09. An hour later it was $3.25! It’s still the cheapest in the area. 

10/24/2023 11:12 am  #18

Holly, I have read the Marie Bostwick series and enjoyed it a lot.   Almost as good as the Elm Creek series.

When in Marion last week (45miles away) I filled my tank for $3.15/gal. It’s $3.55 here.

A friend asked me to go fabric shopping with her today. She is expecting her first great grandchild and wants to make a quilt. She called last night to change our trip to Thursday because her husband’s son had emergency brain surgery in St Louis late yesterday so she was getting home very late.  Thursday will be better for me anyway because I’m using some leftover fabric for a quilt for Livi.  I need to get some work done on it to figure out how much more I need to buy. 

I am thankful for: 1) a good night’s sleep, 2) a pastor who trusts me enough to call to discuss a problem in our church, 3) a well-stocked refrigerator and pantry.

10/24/2023 12:38 pm  #19

I have enjoyed the Marie Bostwick series and Elm Creek also.  I'm just quilting a Christmas quilt I made many years ago with the Elm Creek line of fabrics.

Today is the warmest it's going to be all week so I filled my car with gas, 3.54, and packed almost all of my stuff for quilt camp next week.  I'd rather do it on a nicer day than when it may be raining or snowing later!!!

All our leaves have been down and mulched for a month.  The poplars still have a few leaves, they can wait till spring to get mulched.  We've taken our riding lawnmower in to have the snowblower attachment put on.

Not much else going on here.  Living a quiet comfortable life and enjoying every day.

Take care my friends.

Sew Happy (Patty)
Northern Minnesota

10/24/2023 2:13 pm  #20

Marylou, that is weird about the piece of metal. If it was in the bobbin case, it seems like it would have to come from your machine somewhere? That's wonderful you are making quilts to help these people out.

I finished the quilt. I like it better than I thought. I turned the fabric backing over to make the binding. Do any of you do that? I also put the label on it, so it's completely finished. I think this would be a good way to quilt with the Quilt As You Go method.

I took today off to spend it with Gary. We went to Waffle House for breakfast and with his help, my Christmas shopping is finished for Sadie Grace. Easier to buy for a girl than a boy. We then went to Sams Club and I bought him (and myself) a few groceries. 

I'm headed over to his place now to go to Caleb's ball game. Sadie Grace is also playing, but she doesn't like it. Gary said she won't play next year, lol. 

Here's pictures of the design I did on my embroidery machine. It was difficult in the center, and I had to make sure the quilt wasn't dragging to get the design off. The quilt size turned out to be 57x59. I used Warm and Natural for the batting and I like how warm it feels, but yet not so heavy.

The backing has birds on it. Really pretty fabric.

Here's how much I had to cut off the sleeves for Carter's new jacket. Since I don't have a serger, I tried a new way to fix it. I cut the cuffs off, leaving  1/4" of fabric close to the serged cuff. I then trimmed away this 1/4" fabric without cutting into the cuffs. I pinned the cuffs onto the inside of the sleeves (sleeves turned inside out) and sewed 3 times around each cuff. These are the fabric pieces I threw away. It turned out great! 

After picture...

ETA: Just got back from Caleb's ballgame at 8:20. Stopped by the store & got some drinks on the way home. We passed a gas station and it was $2.84 (cash) and $2.89 (credit). That's the cheapest I've seen it here. It's $3.01 two miles from my house. 

Last edited by DownSouth (10/24/2023 6:31 pm)

D e v o n n e

Board footera