OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/10/2023 7:56 am  #41

Re: ODT SUNDAY AUG 6 ~ SAT AUG 12

SAN....ARE YOU ON A LAPTOP COMPUTER?  TYPE YOUR MESSAGE AND SUBMIT FIRST TO BE SURE YOU DO NOT LOSE IT.  THEN EDIT YOUR POST
HIGHLITE YOUR WHOLE POST FIRST.
GO TO THE ICONS ACROSS THE TOP AND CLICK ON 'SIZE' AND
 THEN THE FONT SIZE YOU WANT.  I USE 150.
THEN GO TO THE 'B' FOR BOLD AND CLICK ON THAT.  YOU WILL GET THIS SIZE PRINT.  

Last edited by quiltbea (8/10/2023 1:29 pm)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

8/10/2023 8:07 am  #42

BJ......IS MY PRINT LARGE ENOUGH FOR YOU?  I USE 150 FOR SIZE BUT I CAN GO UP TO 200 IF YOU NEED IT.

ITS LOVELY HERE SO FAR TODAY.  EXPECTING MORE RAIN TONITE.  
MY TOMATOES ARE DOING SO WELL.  AND STARTING TO PINK UP AS WELL.  LOVE IT.
I WON 75 CENTS AT BINGO LAST NITE.  ANY WIN IS A WINNER FOR ME.
TODAY I AM GOING TO MAKE MEATBALLS.  MAYBE FOR A MEATBALL SANDWICH OR MAYBE WITH PASTA.  WE SHALL SEE HOW I FEEL.
ALSO SOME POTATO AND EGG YOLK SALAD.  I JUST BOILED SOME EGGS FOR THAT.
MY KNEE FEELS BETTER EVERY DAY.  I AM JUST THRILLED ABOUT THAT.
YESTERDAY I HAD COMPANY FOR LUNCH.  MY NEIGHBOR WITH PHONE TROUBLES CAME TO USE MY LANDLINE AGAIN,  THIS TIME FOR A DR APPT.  THEN SHE HAD TO WAIT FOR THEM TO CALL HER BACK SO I SERVED HAM SANDWICHES WITH PICKLES AND SLICED TOMATOES FOR LUNCH.  SHE WAS HERE FOR 3 HOURS THIS TIME. 

LINDA......I USED TO MAKE BREAD AND PIZZA DOUGH IN MY BREADMAKER.  ITS BEEN A FEW YEARS SINCE THEN.  NOW I BUY THE FROZEN DOUGH.
I ALWAYS LOVED THE DORIS DAY AND ROCK HUDSON MOVIES.  WHO KNEW HE WAS GAY.  HE DIDN'T SHOW THE USUAL SIGNS. 
AND NO I AM NOT PREJUDICED.  I WORKED WITH A COUPLE OF GAY FELLOWS AND THEY WERE MY FRIENDS.  GREAT GUYS.   ONE WAS OBVIOUS AND ONE NOT.  

MY FIRST MOVIE WITH MY GUY WAS JAILHOUSE ROCK.  HE DID NOT LIKE ELVIS BUT I DID AND ENJOYED IT.  THAT WAS BEFORE HE HAD A CAR AND WE WALKED UPTOWN TO ONE OF OUR 6 THEATERS WE HAD IN MIDTOWN AT THE TIME.  I REALLY LOVE AND REMEMBER OUR WALKS......THRU THE PARK, IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD....TO THE MOVIES.....UPTOWN TO WINDOW SHOP.
REMEMBER WINDOW SHOPPING LADIES?  YOU LOOKED IN THE WINDOWS TO SEE WHAT WAS NEW AND DREAMT OF BUYING DIFFERENT LOVELY OUTFIT WHEN THE STORES WERE CLOSED.  OURS CLOSED AT 5:30 EVERY NIGHT EXCEPT MONDAYS WHEN THEY WERE OPEN TIL 9 PM.  WE HAD W T GRANT'S, SEARS, RINES BROS,  KRESGE'S, MACMILLAN'S, PORTEOUS FOR DEPT STORES, THEN MARKSON BROS (MENS WEAR), AND OTHER SMALL SHOPS FOR LADIES, ALONG WITH JEWELRY SHOPS, ETC. ALL WITHIN A 5-BLOCK RADIUS.  I LOVED THOSE EVENING WALKS.  

THAT'S IT LADIES.  HAVE A NICE DAY.  HUGS, QB S  

Last edited by quiltbea (8/10/2023 8:25 am)

8/10/2023 10:16 am  #43

Good Morning, yes! Quiltbea, the size of your print is wonderful, same as I use!   Thank you very much!!!  Makes it so much easier to read!   The garbage men are coming by this morning.  They are so friendly.  I am very worn out this morning, not sure how much longer I will last!  Easy to say!!

It is very gray out this morning, no breeze.  I'm going to sign off now as I have nothing more to say, hope you are all well, BJ.

8/10/2023 10:34 am  #44

When we went to Mackinac Island, ML and I rode horses, but Mom didn't.  They furnished a large square wooden box to help people like me get on the horse, but I dared not get off during the ride as I wouldn't have been able to re-mount.  Believe me, it was a painful ride sitting on that horse for that long.  Still fun, though.
Patty, funny that your hubby didn't remember what movie--that would be Howard, too, I just know...

My friend, Ruthie, lived on Maui for several years in the 90's.  I called her  (in GA) this morning knowing how she must feel.  One of her friends out there had called but they were on another island for something and didn't know what they'd come home to.  No communication, right now.  Unbelievable devastation in "paradise".

Theresa, I'm sorry there's so much aggravation at your Mom's new place.  Isn't this what they do??  That and the house selling  keeps you in an uproar all the time.  I know some of the positives of hearing aids but I do wonder after a certain age if they're worth the trouble.  Mom hated hers and was actually relieved when she only had to fiddle with one.  WE were the ones pushing them, though, because of the shouting you had to do without them.  Aye yi yi!! 
BJ, I hope you and Frank might be able to join Tracy and co. this weekend for a bit.  Would be a nice change of scenery for you.  Still you need to be safe and worry-free.  Good luck with your decision. 

I cut my left index finger on, of all things, a pr. of shears I was cleaning up for Howard to use to cut some foam.  My primary hand...so I'm "hobbled", in a sense.  Haven't tried my daily weaving exercise.  That's my sewing finger.  We'll see...

Linda, nice you all could eat out.  Seems like when you bring it home, you have almost as much work. 
We tend to order the same thing at places we frequent more often.  Stay with the known thing we like.

We got a terrible pizza last night at the best pizza place in the area.  I was not a happy camper.  They often over bake them and the cheese is dry and hard.    Don't know whether to call them up and complain or NEXT TIME request they bake it a shorter time, which I've done before.  That is, if there is a next time.  

Going to go.  Have a good day.  Glad to see San back.  
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (8/10/2023 10:42 am)

8/10/2023 10:44 am  #45

We’re swimming in tomatoes! Dave gave us two from his one plant, then Heather brought a bunch, then this morning one of the Veterans gave Ralph a half dozen! For lunch I made us salads with tomatoes, cheese, chicken, pepperoni, and mandarin oranges. So good! 

I saw on the news the Maui devastation, so awful. 

Judy, I didn’t realize that you are also a lefty! Funny enough, two of my three sons in laws are also lefties. 

Looks like we are getting some drizzle.

8/10/2023 10:45 am  #46

Sandra, how wonderful others are sharing their cooking. It's so nice you have made a good friend. It rained really hard here again last night. I need to talk to my next door neighbor about a water problem. He's really nice, so I think we can come up with a solution. 

How many lefties do we have here? I'm a lefty too!

I also use the 150 font. I can go up to 200 size if needed. It's harder for me to read the posts that are in all caps, so I just read them slower.

Janet, I'm so sorry about your DD's cat. I felt sad when I read your post.

Judy, I love Lyons' Den. I used Profitt's Palace at our other house and used it a lot when I answered the phone. I also used Profitt's Pool Hall. Only for family calls, lol. 
My laundry is done, kitchen is clean, took the trash out, fixed a ham sandwich, so I'm going to relax a little. I always buy the Kentucky Legend sliced ham at Walmart. It's so much better than the prepackaged ham and better than the deli ham. Walmart now prepackages their sandwich meats and I often find they are expiring in 2 or 3 days. 

I'm trying to find another photo site to save my photos too if anyone has any recommendations. Right now I'm using Google photos and I have a lot of albums set up, but they don't allow you to do sub folders (or albums) within an album. For instance, for 2022, I want the main album to be called "2022" and I want sub albums under it called "Cardinal Mardi Gras Cruise," "Backyard Flowers," "Great Grandkids," etc. You can't do this with Google Photos. 

eta: I changed it from 150 to 200. Is this too big?

Last edited by DownSouth (8/10/2023 10:52 am)

D e v o n n e

8/10/2023 10:45 am  #47

Forgot to say, I put up a new blog post with a pic of Woodland Afghan and Jersey tomatoes! 

8/10/2023 11:00 am  #48

Holly, I just looked at your pictures. It's beautiful, but the Kokomo one is my favorite so far. I love the colors in the baby blanket, the one you called granny square. Do your fingers get tired when you do this?

D e v o n n e

8/10/2023 12:45 pm  #49

I use 150, too.  My two kids are left-handed, too.  I didn't know Holly and Devonne, are.  Don't hear southpaw much like I did as  a kid.  My first husband always told everyone I was 'put together backwards'.  Got tired of that, too.  Especially since he was changed over by a teacher with the resultant bad handwriting.  That was never tried  with me.  It is a right-handed world but we adapt!  

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/11/2023 8:22 pm)

8/10/2023 2:57 pm  #50

Afternoon y'all! 
Indy they are replacing the meds at their cost!  As they should! I will probably get a repackaging bill from Omnicare, since they are in the lost med equation I am not paying them.  They said it was delivered but cannot produce the digital proof, seems to be lost.  Story of my life! 
Me, I was a southpaw, until first grade.  I was in that group that they tied the left hand to the chair and forced you to use your right hand.  I still use my left for somethings, but not writing, my handwriting stinks.  I tell people I write like a doctor because I worked with them for so long! 
It stormed overnight.  No damage so all is good!  I walked the mall since it was still raining.  After my walk I got watch batteries from a little shop at the mall, and got myself lunch using my CFA reward points!  Then to Target, to get a couple things, It's across from the mall!  Home and going to get our meal from Schlotzky's Deli.  Our cell company is giving us free sandwich with a drink purchase!  I'm game.  No cooking on my part and very little dishes!  I'm in! 
Nothing else exciting from my little corner of the world, just stuck in the eternal waiting game! 
Later my Friends! 

8/10/2023 5:05 pm  #51

Theresa, when I started Kindergarten, my mom went to the school and made it clear that I was a lefty and would remain a lefty. I don’t know if they would have tried to change me, they didn’t get a chance.

Devonne, my mom had arthritis in her hands and said crocheting kept her limber. I don’t crochet for long periods, I get sidetracked. So I might do a lot in a day, but there are a lot of breaks.

8/10/2023 10:47 pm  #52

I too am a lefty. No one ever tried to change me and my dad wouldn't have let it happen.

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/11/2023 8:22 pm)

Sew Happy (Patty)
Northern Minnesota

8/11/2023 9:35 am  #53

Good Morning to everyone!  It is so still outside this morning, sky is very blue, but nothing is moving.  I'm not feeling very bright this morning, but will try to make sense!  Tracy and family are leaving to go camping this morning, they will stop on the way and Jamie will mow the lawn, not much to mow, it is very short now.  He's a dear to stay on top of it all.  Tracy will go through some mail I received that I'm unsure of.

I'm going to sign off as I don't have anything to say.  Hope all of you are well and have a wonderful day, BJ.

8/11/2023 9:37 am  #54

I’ve gotten a lot done already. A new hashed brown/egg/sausage casserole is in the fridge resting til time to cook. Zucchini shredded, and chocolate zucchini cupcakes first dozen done. Ralph has a doctor appt, so he’s there. And the funeral home just texted me pix of the burial site of Sam and pets ashes. I was surprised that I cried a bit, after all, she’s been gone 11 years. Ralph is bringing us home lunch.

8/11/2023 9:52 am  #55

OUR RAIN SHOULD ARRIVE TONITE.  RIGHT NOW ITS BEAUTIFUL.

MY DAUGHTER IS A LEFTY.  WE NEVER TRIED TO CHANGE HER NOR DID THE TEACHERS.  SHE WRITES LEFTY BUT DOES MANY THINGS RIGHT-HANDED ALSO.  HER ONLY TROUBLES SEEMED TO BE LEARNING TO KNIT AND CROCHET.  

ON THE HEARING AID PROBLEMS........I HEAR YOU.   I HATED MINE.  I USED TO GET DAMPNESS IN MY EAR BEHIND THE AID AND IT WOULD ITCH AND THEN ACHE.  I COULD NOT WAIT TO GET THEM OUT IN THE EVENINGS.  NOW WITH THE POCKETALKER I USE, THE EAR BUDS HAVE SOFT EAR PARTS AND I NEVER HAVE THAT PROBLEM.  NO ITCHING, NO DAMPNESS, NO NOTHING.  I CAN USE THEM FOR HOURS ON END AND THEY SEEM TO WORK AS GOOD AS MY THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS AIDS BUT FOR ONLY $169 AND CHANGE.  BUT OF COURSE YOU CAN SEE THEM AND THE PARTS BUT AT MY AGE I DON'T CARE ABOUT HIDING THE EAR BUDS.

I MADE POTATO EGG YOLK SALAD AND SHARED.  TODAY I PLAN TO FINALLY CUT UP MY WATERMELON AND SHARE THAT AS WELL.  I HAD TOO MUCH OTHER STUFF TO SNACK ON SO HELD OFF ON CUTTING UP THE WATERMELON.  BESIDES, ITS A LITTLE HARD FOR ME TO SLICE IT UP SO I PUT IT OFF TIL ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.
THAT'S IT LADIES.  HAVE A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/11/2023 10:09 am)

8/11/2023 11:35 am  #56

Zucchini cake cupcakes were a bust. They wouldn’t cook all the way thru, even when I raised the temp. Trashed them and tossed that recipe.

8/11/2023 2:22 pm  #57

Greg wants me to give up my Medicare supplemental plan. I pay $111.54 a month and he says the Advantage plan is $0 monthly premium. The Advantage plan with Humana I'm looking at has a $2,900 annual out of pocket limit. I would need to save money for this limit. I'll make a decision next week. 

Holly, I never tried knitting or croqueting because I was left handed. My sister said she could teach me by letting me sit at the table across from her. Sorry your cupcakes were a flop! I watched someone on YT make a zucchini chocolate cake the other day.

Has anyone heard of "kilt" lettuce? ("killed," wilted lettuce). I watched a lady from NC and that's what she called it. I've never heard it called that. It's really popular in Appalachia and corn bread is a must. When I used to make it, I used red leaf lettuce, chopped green onions, small pieces of bacon, salt and pepper and hot bacon grease. You only need a little and it wilts the lettuce. It's not healthy, of course, but yummy good with corn bread crumbled in it.

Last edited by DownSouth (8/11/2023 2:42 pm)

D e v o n n e

8/11/2023 3:26 pm  #58

Afternoon y'all! 
DS never heard of it! 
Holly sorry about the cupcakes.  I hate when a recipe goes south, very frustrating! 
QB, she tells us she needs them, they don't get charged, so like today they were useless when I got there!  I put them in the charger, once again showed her how.  This charger dries and sanitizes them.  She keeps putting the left in the right ear and right in the left.  She cannot grasp the right and left concept! 
Woke up to a thunderstorm.  Not bad.  If this keeps up we will have to build an ark!  LOL!  Walked the park, home, to visit mom, got groceries, and home.  I need to start seeing mom before my walk.  I don't stay long and this short visit will keep her happy.  I can get more done if I am not driving back and forth all day.  At least the grocery store is next to her place, made that trip easy! 
I told mom today that if she were my child she would be over my knee about the hearing aids.  She always promises to put them in the charger and doesn't.  In short I have another child on my hands.  Staff doesn't check, what are we paying them for?  I can't bring her here since I have no place for her to sleep and stay.  She needs to be there so she can walk more and keep her health up.  She used to be a walker, she and dad did volksmarches, all the time and went everywhere to do them.  Once dad had the stroke that put him in a wheelchair, mom gave up everything!  I'm doing what I can to get back what I can of what ability she lost!  Even if she only regains a little, that's an accomplishment! 
She wears me out! 
Need to go get stuff ready to make supper.  BLT's with our garden toms!  I can't wait! 
Later my Friends! 

8/11/2023 6:31 pm  #59

I'm back...so used to posting late, lol. I've given myself a challenge to not leave any dirty dishes in the sink and clean off all the counters before I go to bed and start a load of laundry around 10. Not using the peak power hours from 10 to 7 I believe helps save energy. I put the laundry in the dryer if I'm still up when it's finished or first thing in the a.m. It's really helped not having so much to do at one time.

Theresa, just remember how old your Mom is when you find yourself getting overwhelmed. Hopefully, things will start getting better when the staff gets on board. I remember when Billy said we become like a baby when we get older...wearing diapers, peeing on yourself, drooling, can't walk, need a sippy cup, etc., lol. It's all so true. 

My sister is in a wheelchair now. She has lost control of her legs. She was doing much better when she first went in the nursing home & was getting PT. That didn't last long. She's been there a year and 11 days now. The last time I called her, she didn't know where she was nor how she got there. She remembered she had a daughter & she remembered me, but she asked me if her daughter was still living. 

Last edited by DownSouth (8/11/2023 6:53 pm)

D e v o n n e

8/11/2023 8:41 pm  #60

I would probably have been a lefty, but my mother did all she could at a very early age to nip it in the bud, and so I became a lefty/righty.  I can or rather could do most every with both hands.  When my sister about age 10, broke her wrist (I was blamed for it of course, but that’s another story).  My mother was angry that she had to do everything for her since she was a righty and it was her right wrist.  So angry in fact, that she forced my sisters to learned to use both hands for eating, writing, etc.   So that if anything like that happened again she wouldn’t have to wait on them.  I was already proficiently with both.  
   I mostly use my right  hand now, but I can still write, sew, crochet, eat, etc with either hand.  My son is a lefty, as was my uncle, paternal grandparents and 3 of my 5 male cousins.  I think my nephew is too?  I often sew my quilt bindings with my left hand.  

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/11/2023 8:47 pm)

Board footera