OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/23/2023 9:38 am  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY AUG 20 ~ SAT AUG 26

Good Morning, it's always so interesting to read what everyone posts.  I'm sorry I don't have anything interesting to say!!  Tracy is taking  me to see Frank this morning.  That will be nice.  He's having exercises every day so that's a good thing.

It is cool out this morning, only 64*, will likely warm up as the day progresses.  I really don't have anything to say this morning so I will sign off, wishing you all a wonderful day, sending love to everyone, BJ.

8/23/2023 12:00 pm  #22

Very nice here, 80 and lower humidity. 

Mary Lou, how great your brother is for taking and picking you up! 

We just had lunch with the retired teachers, always fun. We were saying how ridiculous it is that teachers have to set up classrooms and offices on their own time, it should be on work time. 

My sunflowers are blooming and the bees are buzzing around them. Next year we plan to plant more. Out front we have a lot of milkweed growing for the butterflies. 

8/23/2023 2:17 pm  #23

Holly, teachers are not paid by the hour, so what is “work time” and “free time”? I was paid for doing my job, no matter how long it took me.

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/24/2023 2:45 am)

8/23/2023 2:24 pm  #24

A slow day on ODT, today.  It's super hot  and humid.  Glasses fog up immediately when you step outside.  It's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow.  Yesterday, we noticed our 26 yr. old A/C was not keeping up and it wasn't that hot yet.  H. called Jeff, his old work partner who came early this morning and add more freon (he'd done that several weeks ago).  He's hoping it keeps working these next two days.  I'm hoping it cools off and lasts  thru the season.  We WILL be replacing it either now, or before the next cooling season.  As Jeff said, we've gotten our money out of it!  He'll get us a unit and he and Howard will install it...whenever.  
The baby wrens have fledged.  I'm not just sure how that works and maybe they just got too hot in the bird house.  But, when I took Fancy outside, two were  completely out of the birdhouse and two were poking out of the opening.  They're adorable but scared of  us. 

Mary Lou, that's something to look forward to and to be able to spend a whole week with Lynn...  Good news for her, too, that the chemo is working.  
I've given up on going to the first Ladies Crafting gathering at church tomorrow morning.  Too much coming up with the funeral and our small group gathering.  I can always start later if I decide that's what I want.  A quiet week would be a good time to consider that.  Another time for  JOMO--Joy of Missing Out, my new 
"mantra"!  

QB, what's with dentists?  Same as docs I guess.  I had to reschedule my dental checkup that was on for Thurs.  (forgot all about it; couldn't keep it this week, etc.)  First one I could get was on Nov 16th!   Okay, because I have no problems, but still...??  One good thing, if something becomes a problem, they will work you in. 

Going to go see if I can rouse Howard who's upstairs.  We need fresh tomatoes and corn from the Farm Stand. Never made it there, yest.  
I could go alone, but we usually go together to get away from here for a bit.  
Hang  in there...
Indy 

Last edited by indyanny (8/23/2023 2:33 pm)

8/23/2023 5:43 pm  #25

Marylou, that's wonderful you get to spend a week with Lynne and so kind of your brother to drive you there.

G&E came by & picked up a Covid test kit for H. He got in his vehicle and she stood at the door, said she was in a funk & started crying. I told her I'm always here for you. It's hard to accept when you lose a job you loved and it was 4 miles from home. She was a good worker and often filled in for others. I know she is still devastated. The trip to Universal Studios will be good for them next month.

Judy, so glad those little baby Wrens survived. I moved my hummingbird feeder to another spot in the yard. I have no shade, but this spot is better than where it was. I need to get out there and fill it up again.

I paid off my part of the February cruise today. It's the most expensive cruise I've ever booked and I don't plan on doing this again. It went up $1,700 after we booked! 

It's going to be hotter tomorrow, but a "cool" wave is coming in next week. 

Last edited by DownSouth (8/23/2023 5:44 pm)

D e v o n n e

8/23/2023 8:29 pm  #26

Sandra, ice cream is always a good snack!
MaryLou, such good news on both accounts!

We are in southern MN for some days. We're going to state parks and other places. Today started out at the Red Wing pottery museum, then toured a cave that was 48* while outside was 99*! 😅. Then we went to the Spam Museum in Austin. Who knew there were so many varieties of flavors of Spam? Other than the extreme heat we're having a good time.

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/24/2023 2:45 am)

Sew Happy (Patty)
Northern Minnesota

8/24/2023 3:06 am  #27

MARYLOU you got really good news, 2 times, I know you would be feeling it on the anniversary, hoping the good news helped that sadness !

SANDRA wow, that is quite a wait, are you on an emergency list too, I guess we are lucky, we can usually get in in a day or so for an emergency. The snacks will wait for you, meanwhile take care of it, and I hope you are not in any pain ((((hugs))))

DEVONNE my goodness can they put the price up after the booking, our have always been a contract and the price is the price UNLESS the tickets were not for sale as yet, Cunard do that, they start selling here in mid Feb (I think) so if you book before that the price isn't guaranteed.

INDY too cute with the birds, you have been busy, I think our a/c is needing gas too, it doesn't seem to be warming as much, I will get Gary to check it before we hit summer temps. 

HOLLY your crochet is really coming along. the family will love snuggling under it. Our teachers get paid during the holidays so they are expected to set up, the wage is per year, divided into the segments of monthly, so when the students are off it doesn't mean the teachers get the whole time off as well, something our Gary has never really got the grasp of LOL - he feels like she should be on holidays as well, as she works late at night anyway. She likes to do it though.

JANET thanks for the site, I am thinking about it, I am not sure if I can just join that group, they may not want an outsider, I do love the pattern she did. That is my favourite, I'd love to know the size of the squares, its offset rows with a light background. We will have to decide when we start, I am thinking if we should start in Nov, so we can finish by the end of the year, but I guess then it's not a year (Jan to Dec ) LOL

I worked on the quilt for our breast cancer team member, just sewing down the binding, not the best quilting, it's really simple - lines and ditch stitch. I wanted to give it to Jen as soon as I could. I'll take a pic tomorrow. I need to wash it too, I checked the fabric, and none of it runs into water so a cold wash should be good, the white has got a couple marks on it. 

Went to group this morning, then just been doing the sewing, I picked up Dean, that boy desperately needs a haircut. 
The Mr took his friend for coffee, then the friend rang him (as soon as he got home ) wanting W to take him to a pharmacy to get pills, W came clean to me, he took him a few weeks ago, now he realises it was wrong, Bob is an addict, he is taking hay fever tablets (the kind that make you sleepy) available in pharmacy, but with the advice of the pharmacist, he told W today that they won't give him any more and he needs to go to another one, he rang him 12 times in 15 mins, leaving messages, finally W rang him and told him he felt he was being put into a terrible position, the professionals knew more than he did and if they thought he had enough tablets he wan't going to help him get more. Bob said " Warwick I'm pleading with you - will you take me or I'll hang up", he hung up after the answer was no. He really needs to be in some sort of care, his boys can't make him, and he seems to be able to talk himself out of hospital in a few weeks when they admit him and he's back home again. I think they break the cycle of pill abuse, then let him out agin, last time he was in only a few weeks, before that it was 3 months.

Enough of all that, otherwise things are are OK here, cool nights, and nice days, we are supposed to get some rain on the weekend though.

Last edited by tricia-anne (8/24/2023 3:10 am)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

8/24/2023 8:40 am  #28

Devonne, remind me where you’re cruising to?
Trish, Philly does the teacher pay in 24 increments, their union voted for it. Our union never put it up for vote, we get 20 paychecks. That’s a shame W’s friend is an addict, addiction is so awful. 

It’s only 73, with 73% humidity! The air feels like a sponge. 

8/24/2023 9:09 am  #29

Holly, I would take 73, 73%. It is 90 here with 80% humidity, and climbing!

8/24/2023 9:16 am  #30

ITS A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD..........YES IT IS ONCE AGAIN.  BUT A BIT OF RAIN EXPECTED LATE TONITE.  THAT'S FINE WITH ME.

PLANS FOR THE DAY ARE MINIMAL.  TAKE OUT THE TRASH, VACUUM THIS OLD HOVEL, EAT MORE CHICKEN RICE SOUP.  YUP I MADE SOUP AND SHARED.  GOT GOOD REVIEWS FROM MY NEIGHBORS.  IT CAME OUT VERY GOOD.  ITS EASY EATING FOR ME.
I CLEANED OUT MY PLASTIC CONTAINERS AND SORTED THEM SO THEY ARE IN ORDER AND WITH THEIR COVERS.  I  DISLIKE WHEN I HAVE TO HUNT FOR A COVER THAT FITS.
I LOST A WHOLE DOLLAR LAST NITE AT BINGO.  THAT'S 2 LOSING WEEKS IN A ROW.  I HOPE NEXT WEEK IS BETTER.
WHILE AT BINGO OUR NEW NEIGHBOR STOPPED BY.  A LADY IN THE YOUNGER RANGE OF OLDIES.  HER DOG IS QUITE LARGE BUT FRIENDLY, BONNY.  YOU KNOW ME LADIES, I LOVE DOGS.  ANOTHER NEIGHBOR WAS BRAGGING ABOUT MY DEAR DEPARTED PENNY AND HOW SHE WOULD ROLL OVER TO HAVE HER FEET WIPED WHEN WE CAME INTO THE LOBBY FROM A WET OR SNOWY OUTDOORS.  NEARLY BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE.

MARYLOU.........SUCH GOOD NEWS ABOUT LYNNE.  HAPPY TO HEAR IT.  HOW NICE, TOO, YOUR BRO WILL DRIVE YOU THE 10 HOURS TO VISIT IN SEPT AND THEN PICK YOU UP THE NEXT WEEKEND.  THAT'S A LONG DRIVE.  PRAYERS CONTINUE FOR LYNNE'S HEALTHY RECOVERY.

DEVONNE.......YOU MENTIONED MEAT LOAF, WHICH I LOVE.  REMINDED ME I HAVE GROUND BEEF AND PORK CHOPS DEFROSTED.  I NEED TO COOK THEM TODAY.  MAYBE IN SOME SORT OF CASSEROLE FOR THE PORK AND A SMALL MEATLOAF WITH THE BEEF.  WE SHALL SEE.

TRISH......WARWICK IS SO WISE NOT TO GET THOSE PILLS.  HE WOULD THEN BE AN ENABLER TO THAT GUY'S ADDICTION.  GOOD FOR YOU WARWICK.

I WILL GET OUT AND PICK MORE TOMATOES TODAY.  THEY ARE REALLY GETTING RIPE NOW.  MORE ROASTING TO DO THIS WEEK.
HAVE A GOOD DAY.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/24/2023 9:33 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

8/24/2023 9:30 am  #31

Good Morning, I'm feeling pretty lazy this morning, not much energy!  I don't suppose I'll ever feel much better.  Tracy just got up so I need to go visit with her.  I went to hospital yesterday to visit with Frank, we stayed quite awhile.  So I was glad when it was time to go home.

It is only 59* here this morning, but the sun is shining.  It will likely be another strange day.  Tracy is fixing my pills for the next couple of weeks, so that's very nice.  Then I think she will go visit Frank.

This is the day the garbage man comes so that will be nice to have that gone again.   He's an awfully nice fellow and we usually visit with him for a few minutes.  I sure wish we'd get some rain, every thing is so dry.

Well, I think I should sign off and go visit with Tracy, believe she's going home today or tomorrow.  I'll sure miss her.  Will sign off now, wishing you all well.  Sending love and best wishes to all, BJ.

8/24/2023 10:59 am  #32

Mary Lou, yikes! I saw that the Midwest is having terrible temps. 

8/24/2023 12:27 pm  #33

Holly, I have no clue where we're going on this upcoming cruise. I never get off at the ports, so I don't pay attention to that like I used too. Just get on the ship and stay there until we return, lol.  I'll let you know when I look at our booking.

Trish, Royal Caribbean is always the most expensive cruise line. I think I read this ship (the Icon) will be the largest ship in the world. My part was $3,500 and we didn't get to choose our cabin. It cost more to do that, so we allowed them to pick it for us (I did not like this, but sometimes you have to compromise). I did pay extra to get a balcony. Greg booked it through a travel agency and the rate we paid is guaranteed not to go up. Not only have cruise prices gone up, the menu wasn't as diverse on the two last Carnival cruises. I was disappointed in how they have cut back. Room service used to be just a tip and you could order what you wanted without extra charges. Now, you have to pay a la carte. You used to see trays sitting outside the door at almost every cabin. Now you hardly see any trays. It's too expensive. They said they did this to reduce food waste. I do understand that, but it took away a service cruisers can no longer afford. 

It's 91 and feels like 105. I certainly picked the wrong time to pressure wash my patio, but I'll do it a little at a time. 

Last edited by DownSouth (8/24/2023 12:36 pm)

D e v o n n e

8/24/2023 7:22 pm  #34

No one has posted since me, so guess I'll post again, lol.

Trish, Warwick did the right thing. Good for him! 

I saw some cute pictures of Frank and BJ on Facebook on Tracy's page. They took Elly to visit him. Frank is looking good and BJ you look good too! 
I went outside at 7:30 to do a little pressure washing on the patio. I came inside with soaked hair and sweat pouring down my face. I couldn't stay out there long. I can't do it any later as I don't want to disturb my neighbors. All the houses here are really close. I'll finish it in the morning. Thank goodness this heat wave is almost over.

I'm going to pull up my tomato plants, as they haven't done anything. I'm limiting my pots to 6 and will store the others. Going to pull up the petunias as well, as they're almost dead. The only plants that really did good this year were the dipladenia and my blueberry plant. Don't buy the Expert potting soil at Walmart. I think that was the reason nothing did good.

Last edited by DownSouth (8/24/2023 7:27 pm)

D e v o n n e

8/25/2023 8:02 am  #35

DEVONNE......TOMATO PLANTS WILL STALL AND NO GROWTH IF TEMPS 90 AND ABOVE BUT WILL RECOVER WHEN TEMPS DROP.  
I BOUGHT SOME POTTING SOIL FROM WALMART BEFORE AND IT WASN'T GOOD.  I NEVER BUY FROM THEM SINCE.

JUDY......I HOPE YOUR A/C IS NOW IN WORKING ORDER.  TOO HOT NOT TO HAVE ANY.

BJ......GLAD TO HEAR YOU GOT TO VISIT WITH FRANK.  I KNOW THAT MUST HAVE MADE YOU FEEL BETTER KNOWING HE IS HEALING.

OUR LINDA IS GETTING ALONG OK.  SOMETIMES PROBS WITH HER PUTER AND SOMETIMES HER EYES SO NOT ON HERE MUCH BUT I KEEP IN TOUCH PRETTY OFTEN.  SHE HAS LOVELY FLOWERS IN HER YARD THIS YEAR AND HARVESTED SOME TOMATOES THE OTHER DAY. LIKE MOST OF US, SHE KEEPS ON PLUGGING AND MARCHING FORWARD DAY BY DAY.  HUGS LINDA. 
WE GOT OUR EXPECTED RAIN AND TODAY THERE ARE LINGERING SHOWERS.  HAPPY ME I DO NOT HAVE TO WATER MY GARDEN.
I WILL ROAST TOMATOES TODAY.  ITS ON MY LIST.
I LOST ANOTHER POUND SO A TOTAL OF 5 SINCE BANGING MY TOOTH WHICH IS GOOD BECAUSE I WAS GAINING A BIT LATELY AND CARRIED MORE WEIGHT THAT NORMAL.  I AM NOT STARVING, BUT HAVE CUT BACK ON HARD STUFF AND SNACKS SO THAT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE.  I SHOULD BE IN GOOD SHAPE BY THE TIME I SEE MY HEART DOCTOR FOR MY CHECKUP IN OCTOBER.
NOTHING MORE TO REPORT.  STAY SAFE MY FRIENDS.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (8/25/2023 8:14 am)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

8/25/2023 8:34 am  #36

78 with 76% humidity! Going up to mid 80’s. I turned the AC back on, it was so bad in here that I was sweating standing still. 

I got a notice for jury duty in October. Luckily I have an NP appt in early Sept, she writes me off due to my knees and bad balance. 

I just finished a really good book from the library. The Happiness Plan by Susan Mallery. Part woman’s fiction, part romance, very readable. She’s been one of my favorites for years. 

8/25/2023 9:28 am  #37

Good Morning to everyone.  I have an eye doctor this morning, we will go to visit Frank first, then to eye dr., then home.  It is 60* right now, then will go  up, I'm sure!  Tracy just got up and is fixing our breakfast, then we will go visit Frank, then to eye Dr.  A busy morning.

No sun this morning, just very still.  I really don't have anything to say this morning so will just sign off, wishing you all well, BJ.

8/25/2023 1:16 pm  #38

GOOD AFTERNOON!

TIRED, BUT A GOOD TIRED. SANDRA HAS HEKED NE ROAST MY TOMATOES. WUOULDN'T HAVE ANY TO ROAST IF NOT FOR HER HELP.  CAN'T WATI TO ADD TO SOME SPEGHETTI SAUCE. WILL HAVE TO WAIT FOR COOLER WEATHER FOR THAT.

BJ CALLED ME TO CHECK TO SEE HOW I WAS DOING. THAT WAS SO SWEET! THANK YOU BJ. LOVED TALKING WITH YOU AND TRACEY. HOPE DIDN'T HOLD YOU UP TO LONG BEFORE YOUR VISIT WITH FRANK. HOPE IS IS DOING WELL WITH HIS PT.

HARVESTED ABOUT 14 TOMATOES YESTERDAY AND ONE THIS MORNING. HOPE WITH TEMPS IN THE 80s NEXT WEEK, WILL HAVE A FEW MORE COMING IN.

HOT AND HUMID HERE. YUCK. WE MAY LUCK OUT AND NOT SET A RECORD HIGH FOR THE SUMMER TODAY. HAD SOME CLOUDS YESTERDAY AND THIS MORNING. A LITTLE SHOWER THIS AM AS WELL. STILL WATERED SINCE COULD NOT COUNT ON IT BEING ENOUGH IN THIS HEAT. THINK TOMORROW IN THE 90s TOO. DS RAN INTO A GULLY WASHER ON HIS WAY HOME FROM WORK YESTERDAY, BUT DIDN'T GET ANY AT OUR HOUSE. WATERED YESTERDAY TOO. HAVE TO WATER THE POTS THAT DON'T GET RAIN EVERY DAY. HEAT HAS DONE A NUMBER ON THE IMAPATIENTS OUT FROM. PLANTS IN POTS IN THE BACK HAVE DONE BETTER.

DEVONNE, SORRY THE ALL CAPS BOTHER YOUR EYES.  WHEN I TYPE IN LOWER CASE NOW, I FORGET TO CAPTIALIZE WHEN NECESSARY. LOL! HAVE GOTTEN SO USED TO USING ALL CAPS. DO YOU WANT ME TO STOP AND EVERYONE ELSE TOO? 

GETTING OFF TO REST A BIT. TOO HOT TO DO MUCH ELSE. THANK GOODNESS FOR A/C AND CEILING FANS. 

I HAVE BEEN READING BUT JUST NOT POSTING.

GLAD TO HEAR THAT LYNN IS DOING WELL WITH TREATMENTS AND THAT YOU ARE GOING TO GET TO GO STAY WITH HER FRO A WEEK.

WISHING EVERYONE WELL.  THE FAMILIES AND FRIE3NDS TOO. SORRY FOR THE LOSS OF LOVED ONES.

THINKING OF EVERYONE. PRAYERS....................................................

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

8/25/2023 3:17 pm  #39

My phone will not let me text. Happened suddenly. Says I need a SIM card.

strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys

8/25/2023 3:49 pm  #40

Linda, I'm ok if you and Sandra keep your caps. It just takes me longer to read, but it's fine. Has to be easier not to deal with punctation and starting each sentence with a capital letter, lol.

About your phone not texting, are you sure there isn't a problem with your WiFi? I think the newer Iphones and Android don't have Sim cards anymore. 

I am totally exhausted. Went outside at 9:15 and finished the patio at 11:30. My rugs are clean and the dirty patio is clean. Also emptied 5 pots of dirt into an area in the yard that retains water. I didn't realize I had 10 pots on my patio! That's a lot of plants/flowers to buy, so next year I'll only have 5 pots. I'm going to plant some tomatoes in the real dirt next Spring, lol. 

I was so tired I came in and took a long bath. Planned on going to Subway and was too tired to move. Two hours later I met Gary and Sadie Grace at Chick-fil-a. They had no drinks available except orange juice, apple juice or milkshakes! I didn't know we are under a "boil water" in the city limits because of a pipe bursting. We all got an ice cream cone and got our food to take home. 

Last edited by DownSouth (8/25/2023 4:27 pm)

D e v o n n e

Board footera