OurDailyThread

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

6/20/2023 9:55 am  #21

Re: ODT SUNDAY JUNE 18 ~ SAT JUNE 24

Good Morning to everyone!!  Hope you all have a good day planned.   It is pouring down rain outside and 55*.  What a bummer of a day.  Oh well, we'll survive.  Sharon is coming today, will have her change the bed and do a few other things, as usual.  Will likely have her bake something.

Have no plans for the day, just be lazy, I guess.  Nothing going on and I have nothing to do.  Just being a bum, I know!!  But that seems to be my style nowadays.

Sharon just got here, early, to take Elly to the groomers.  She is in the bedroom with Frank and won't come out, just hiding under the bed.  So the groomer will have to wait.  Spoiled little brat!!!!

Well, I better quit here, hope you all have a really nice day, BJ.

6/20/2023 10:25 am  #22

Afternoon y'all! 
I have been busy despite the rain!  Scanned medical forms in for mom, emailed the wrong stuff to the assisted living place and had to resend them.  I so don't think like a computer.  It should have been the last document, but it wasn't there, the computer filed it elsewhere!  I cancelled the landline, and internet! The only calls we get are you need this, or we can give you a better deal, for that!  Not worth my getting up and down to answer, mostly scam calls!  I have unplugged the phone, and will pack it, mom wants a phone in her apartment!  So I will bring it!  She can't hear on the cell phone, and she would lose it!  I will label her portable phone, since I can see her putting it in the walker and going somewhere and putting it down!  IE losing it! 
It was raining this morning, the plan is to go open mom an account at a branch bank after lunch!  I wasn't comfortable taking mom out in the rain, when it can be avoided!
Kinda feels good to cancel stuff.  I have to mail stuff for the internet back to the company, good with that!  If I need the computer I can go to Starbucks, or across the street.  Not a big deal!  I won't be here for long periods so I'm good! 
Later my Friends! 

6/20/2023 12:08 pm  #23

YES, STAMPS ARE GOING UP TO 66 CENTS EACH.  BUMMER.  I BOUGHT 3 BOOKS THIS MONTH.

MAINT WAS HERE AND GOT MY NEW BEDROOM BLINDS IN.  LOVE THE PUSH-UP BLINDS.  NO STRINGS TO GET TANGLED AND BREAK THE SLATS ANYMORE.

I GOT OUT AND WATERED THE CUKES.  THEY ARE POPPING UP NOW AND THEY ARE BIG DRINKERS COMPARED TO OTHER VEGGIES.  THE TOMS AND PEPPERS ARE ALL GETTING BLOSSOMS NOW.  I HOPE TO SEE FOOD SOON.

MY NEW NEIGHBOR FINALLY HAD ANOTHER KEY MADE AND I HAVE IT FOR SAFE KEEPING. NOW I HAVE HER CAR AND HOUSE KEY BOTH.

MY SON TURNED 55 TODAY.  HE DOESN'T LOOK IT, ANYWAY I DON'T THINK SO.  HE GOES TO THE GYM A FEW TIMES A WEEK TO STAY IN SHAPE AND EATS GOOD MEALS EXCEPT WHEN HIS MOM (YES, I AM GUILTY)  SENDS HIM HOME WITH SPECIAL STUFF HE LIKES.  BUT I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO COOK HEALTHY.  IN FACT, I HOPE I NEVER HAVE TO FOR MYSELF.  I LIKE TO INDULGE IN THINGS I ENJOY

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A NICE DAY.  HUGS, QB S

Last edited by quiltbea (6/20/2023 12:12 pm)

If you want to see my latest pics, you can check out my blog:
http://quiltcrafter.blogspot.com/
old one: http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/ 
To Post Pix... http://postimages.org

6/20/2023 12:12 pm  #24

Judy, I don't blame you for wanting to take down the porch railings/spindles. You know how many of those I painted at our last house!

Marylou, my lawn guy only does mowing and weedeating. I got him to trim my shrubs and it was $40! They are really small. He trimmed them too much. I just wanted them trimmed across the top, lol. 

I am headed to Chickfila for a late lunch, then to get a watermelon & a few more items.

Theresa, this is going to be hard for your Mom with such a big change in her life. I hope it all goes well. I can't believe the PO is charging to do a Change of Address now. 

Tips to pick a good watermelon:
Make sure the stem on the end is brown, not green. Green means it was picked before it ripened. 
Look for a yellow belly. Means it's ripened in the sun.
Tap it. If it sounds hollow, it's full of water.

D e v o n n e

6/20/2023 3:26 pm  #25

Never made it to get my watermelon...moved to tomorrow's list.

Got home at 5:15 and my outside lights were already on...that's a first! Got the dogs out just in time, then the thunder came & now it's raining hard. Love listening to the rain. I can open my back door, as there's a small porch that keeps the rain from coming in. I had to shut it, as the lightning is pretty bad.

Judy, I meant to say as long as there's no hazard of you or Howard falling. If you think you would miss them, I agree with Holly to hire a painter.

D e v o n n e

6/20/2023 5:02 pm  #26

Holly, I just brought that up this morning.   As I told him, I  don't want to rush into something and then regret it.  But, both of us want to try this change not only for ease of maintenance, but for a different look.  
The good thing is he will carefully remove the sections of spindles and if we hate it, we can add them back.  After almost 27 years, some spindles have come loose at the bottom due to the nails rusting through, and would need to be reattached, maybe all of them. 

ML called for the first time, today.  She for sure has a cold with the attending fatigue and miserable-ness.  
Is sorely disappointed in not being able to do everything planned.  Bill canceled the e-bike tour of the Cotswold villages on Friday.  There's no way she'll be strong enough to do that.  However, she's grateful that this 2nd half is much more leisurely and  more "self-guided" so they can do it at their pace.   Thanks for thinking of and/or praying for her. 
We went to Ollie's today.  They had a special on the  Hormel Completes that Howard eats for lunch.  Shopped around there for a bit.  I bought a book and a small white metal table--one that can be moved around as needed for whatever.  Right on the way home is the farmer's market we go to sometimes.  Seemed foolish not to stop.  Got a qt. of strawberries and some heirloom tomatoes.  The berries are  large, beautiful and quite sweet.  In fact, I cleaned 5 apiece for us for supper and we ate them plain.  As we were getting in the car to leave, I thought I heard someone call my name, but climbed on in the car because I doubted it was for me.  Sure enough, here came a couple we know from church and we had a very nice impromtu carside visit with them.   Serendipity...

Theresa, better now than in the car on your way to her new home.  Nevertheless, those kind of exchanges are difficult and upsetting.   They leave you with an unsettled feeling even when you know that you know you're doing the very best thing.   I'm glad she shared how she was feeling with you. 

We're having lunch with friends, Carol and Albert tomorrow.  Applebee's. Haven't seen them since they've been back from Florida.  Looking forward to it...

Mary Lou, what a nice weekend you had.  That's quite a drive by yourself.  So glad you can do it.  And now, a visit from Lynn.  
I'm going to go sit on the porch and read for a bit.  I love these summer evenings.  So far, no mosquitoes, either.
Sweet Dreams,
Indy 

Last edited by indyanny (6/20/2023 5:27 pm)

6/21/2023 6:29 am  #27

THE ONLY THING NEW HERE IS ITS BUG INSPECTION DAY.  THEY BRING A DOG IN TO LOOK FOR BEDBUGS IN ALL OUR APTS ONCE A YEAR.  TODAY IS THE BIG DAY.  30 SECONDS AND ITS DONE.
I AM WELL.  HOPE YOU ARE ALL THE SAME.
HUGS QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (6/21/2023 6:29 am)

6/21/2023 9:07 am  #28

Rain predicted for the next 8 days! We’ll think we’re in the PacNW!

Housecleaner is here doing her thing, yay! Lawn guy was here early before the rain. Waiting for the recycle company from the electric company to pick up our old fridge.

Mary Lou, I admire you for driving 5 hours by yourself! Once I would/could have done it, but not anymore. 

6/21/2023 1:21 pm  #29

Driving? I only drive locally…my comfort zone is 13 miles south to the quilt shop and 45 mins north to the hospital.

Last edited by tricia-anne (6/21/2023 11:03 pm)

6/21/2023 3:32 pm  #30

Yesterday's post that I forgot to post! 
Afternoon y'all! 
I have been busy despite the rain!  Scanned medical forms in for mom, emailed the wrong stuff to the assisted living place and had to resend them.  I so don't think like a computer.  It should have been the last document, but it wasn't there, the computer filed it elsewhere!  I cancelled the landline, and internet! The only calls we get are you need this, or we can give you a better deal, for that!  Not worth my getting up and down to answer, mostly scam calls!  I have unplugged the phone, and will pack it, mom wants a phone in her apartment!  So I will bring it!  She can't hear on the cell phone, and she would lose it!  I will label her portable phone, since I can see her putting it in the walker and going somewhere and putting it down!  IE losing it! 
It was raining this morning, the plan is to go open mom an account at a branch bank after lunch!  I wasn't comfortable taking mom out in the rain, when it can be avoided!
Kinda feels good to cancel stuff.  I have to mail stuff for the internet back to the company, good with that!  If I need the computer I can go to Starbucks, or across the street.  Not a big deal!  I won't be here for long periods so I'm good! 
Later my Friends! 

Last edited by GAQuilter (6/21/2023 3:35 pm)

6/21/2023 3:57 pm  #31

Afternoon again y'all! 
Hopefully I will remember to post this!  LOL! 
Indy yes, at least she shared what was going on! 
QB it's amazing what they teach dogs to do these days! 
Janet I don't drive at night if I can avoid it! 
Another busy day!  Walked, Took care of mom, to PO got the forwarding done!  To her main bank to change the address, to a liquor store for boxes, and Food Lion for Sauerkraut!   Got supper in the rice pot, brats and Sauerkraut, with beer poured over it!  Very yummy, as close to what we got in Germany as I can make it! 
Feel good about what I accomplished!  It's big toward getting mom situated!  I needed it done in case they insisted she do this in person!  So glad I have the Power of Attorney!  It has made life easier!  
I have another neighbor that is moving this week.  He gave me a Brother sewing machine that was his late wife's and a Kenmore that was his mothers!  The Kenmore is obviously old, and in a cabinet.  A small cabinet.  The Brother is missing the power cord, that can be replaced, I hope!  Hubby won't be happy, he can get over it!  I'm ecstatic!  I love old machines! 
A storm has started here so I need to sign off! Later my Friends! 

6/21/2023 5:04 pm  #32

About my driving … if I don’t do it, I would very, very seldom get to see some of my family. I time my drives to miss heavy traffic and watch weather forecasts to avoid driving in storms. And I never make long drives in unfamiliar places after dark.

Well, I was expecting Lynn to arrive this evening. She had somethings she needed to do before leaving this morning so didn’t get on the road until nearly noon. Then she ran over something and ruined two tires! I don’t know details but by the time new tires were bought and put on, it was too late to make the nine hour drive today. So she plans to leave really early tomorrow. We will still have Friday and Saturday to do some fun things and a few jobs here that I can use help with.

Last edited by tricia-anne (6/21/2023 11:02 pm)

6/21/2023 6:17 pm  #33

I have Caleb and Sadie Grace, but they don't want to spend the night. Gary is on the way to get them.

Sandy has a vet appt. for next Wednesday. I have to drop her off by 9 a.m. They will do x-rays to find out exactly what is wrong with her. I think it is her spine, not arthritis. 

I had to return the 8x10 area rug I bought from Amazon. It had a rubber backing, which can't be put on top of carpet. I didn't read, lol. UPS picked it up yesterday. I ordered another one, a smaller 5x7.

I returned the rug pad I bought (large), which didn't help. Gary went with me to the UPS store to return it. I was taking them to Texas Roadhouse (he had the kids with him), but they didn't open until 3 pm! We ended up at Chickfila.  

D e v o n n e

6/21/2023 7:20 pm  #34

Had lunch with Carol and Albert at Applebee's.  Was a bit disappointed, though.  We both got the 6 oz. steak and it wasn't any better cooked than what I could do. I expected it to taste like a steak house steak.  However, together, we brought enough home for small supper meals.  They'd been on an Alaskan cruise for 7 days and 7 days on a land tour.  Had great pics and lots to tell us.

It was gorgeous here, today.  And we've had no humidity, yet.  After my nap after they left, I sat outside on the porch and read and enjoyed the birds.  Last evening, Shena, next door was outside yelling at the top of her lungs for her pit bull that had gotten out again.  This one is not vicious toward Howard and while she and her son were tramping along the highway calling for her, she came back and he got her into their fenced yard.  That's the kind of excitement that happens here, and nothing much else!  

Well, now Bill also has a cold and feels punk.  They did walk around the town they're staying in, today, because she sent me some pics.  I hope they both can overcome these colds and enjoy the rest of their time in England and Scotland.  We'll see...

QB, that's funny about the bed bug sniffing dog.  Glad that's over for you.  It's sort of like being checked for lice in school.  I never had them, but some kids did.  We called them cooties, remember that?  

Theresa, it still seems like you have a mountain of stuff to attend to.  But, I think this weekend is moving day, right?  

Mary Lou, sorry for the delay for Lynn.  I know every minute is precious for you, but am glad that didn't happen in the middle of her drive.  At least I don't think it did.  Have fun when she gets there.

Better go and clean up the table.  Sweet Dreams.
Indy

Last edited by indyanny (6/21/2023 7:24 pm)

6/21/2023 7:28 pm  #35

The great grandkids just left, so I am back. I have to admit it's not what I'm used to & it does wear me out. It did give G&E a chance to take a long nap, so even if they don't spend the night, it gives them a break. 

Sandra, I hope the dogs found no bed bugs. Interesting! Didn't know dogs could do that.

Judy, did ML and Bill get tested for Covid? I hope that's not what it is. Not a good time to get sick on the trip of a lifetime. I haven't been to Applebees in years. Billy always complained about his food there.

Theresa, that was nice to get the old sewing machines and I'm glad you have Power of Attorney too! It's good your Mom isn't confined to a wheelchair and can get around with a walker. When is the lake house closing?

Marylou, it's good that happened close to home, and Lynne can get a fresh start in the morning. 

About driving, I haven't ever traveled anywhere (in hours) on a trip by myself. Now, the dogs keep me from traveling and an old 16 year old SUV. I only drive to Greg's house 35-40 minutes away and to local stores 5 minutes away. Gary is 8 miles away.  If I had a newer car and less dogs, I would love to drive to the Smokies ....if I wasn't having back pain. A lot of "if's," lol. 
I bought Caleb a pair of shoes at Marshalls and a hat. How many 6 year olds rather have shoes than a toy? He couldn't find any toys he liked. I got Sadie Grace a dog in a kennel/crate with accessories, kitchen "food" and kitchen utensils. She fixed me a delicious plastic cheeseburger, lol. 
An interesting, busy evening with the grandkids. I am off to recover, lol! 

Last edited by DownSouth (6/21/2023 7:38 pm)

D e v o n n e

6/21/2023 11:00 pm  #36

=19.5pxHi everyone.

I’ve just finished packing, he’s watching bowls, went with him to the first game then we had to drive north for an hour to pick up the bowls lifter he left there, had go leave it furthest place we’ve been 🤣 dropped him back to watch more games, they are up to semi finals and finals, last games tomorrow. I am resigned tothe fact we won’t make it home in one day - I know if he can he’ll watch a game in the morning, so we will pack the car and leave after the first game.

I have news, John got a part time mob at the local supermarket chain, starts next Wed. They will give him some hours after school and weekends. He’s happy😄

on a worse note a teacher gave him a detention yesterday, he’s doing exams, not well and has a Drs certificate to allow him to claim if his results are not as usual, AND it’s his final year and he has never had a detention, for what ? No belt with his uniform, AND his shirt is supposed to be untucked so it covers it 🤐Megan was furious,  the teacher did this just as he was walking into the exam room, she fired off an email after being notified by said teacher explaining why no belt, has never had detention etc ( her email has her position in the dept😃) 
John reported for detention and teacher gold him he was ok, didn’t need to do it. She’s still furious, I would have visited principal, doing that right before an exam, what was she thinking 🤐🤐

SANDRA we had the apartments here checked yesterday as well, I was out so no idea what they did, saw the truck in the drive.

MARYLOU I like to drive places too, at night now I find I need to wear sunglasses,  new cars lights are so bright. I found it scary trying to see. The sunglasses really stop it, looks weird though😄
So sorry about the tyres, I know you still have a couple days though to have fun.

JANET the other ladies here are all drivers except one, she won’t drive new places, is it a confidence thing? If I waited on him I would never het out LOL.

DEVONNE sounds like the  kids are spendng more time with you, any news on them moving?

INDY horrid to get sick when you are away, we usually get something on tours, this time - touch wood - we have been ok, mostly outdoors though, so I hope we make it through next 2 days. I find using nose wash helps get over it more quickly  .

Washing machine has finished, so I’ll get it in dryer.
I know the MOTH will want to stop ASAP tomorrow for his lollies, he’s eaten them all, I told him they were for return trip, didn’t think they would make it, he really has a terrible sweet tooth😄

Last edited by tricia-anne (6/21/2023 11:01 pm)

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

6/21/2023 11:05 pm  #37

THERESA I’ll be thinking of you❤️❤️❤️, that was good luck on the machines, you should be able to get s power cord. You have been away so long, it will be wonderful to be home. 

(((hugs))) and prayers
Trish

6/22/2023 6:45 am  #38

Morning y'all! 
Indy yes, Saturday cannot come fast enough!  Mom is almost packed, just need to finish vacuuming the inside of the dresser and chest of drawers! 
DS next month.  The inspection is this morning!  Praying it goes well! 
Trish I figured a power cord would be easy enough, it's a Brother machine.  I'm going outside my usual Janome/Elna machines! LOL! 
Woke up and couldn't go back to sleep.  Mind is racing with "to-do's"!  It's also raining so can't walk.  I could, just not up for it, do an umbrella walk.  It should stop later this morning.
Lawyer will have some papers for me to sign, tomorrow!  Then hopefully I can put the other lake property on the market! Then the next thing will be this house! 
Mom is still nervous about the move.  I keep telling her it's OK to be anxious and nervous, it's a big change! Last night she was worried about getting the newspaper, at her new place and having enough books to read! I think if that's her big worry right now, we are in a good place!
My week is messed up, since Monday was a Federal Holiday.  My brain had me thinking it was Sunday! So I am a day behind in my thinking!  DNeice, took off tonight and tomorrow night to help us pack mom!  She has been a Godsend through this!  
Not much else since my day is just starting! 
Later my Friends! 

6/22/2023 9:43 am  #39

Another rainy day here. Ralph had breakfast with the Veterans, then we went to the Amish Market. Came home, hung a new shower curtain liner, mine was looking awful. Ralph just put the 3 pounds of sliced pepperoni into vacuum bags of half pound each, and froze them. I had him bring me a chef salad, which will be our dinner. Now he’s in the kitchen individually bagging his sour cream donuts for the freezer. 

Theresa, at 90 I’d be apprehensive too! I’m glad she has you to watch over her! Does the other lake property have a house on it? Anything on water should sell quick, I’d think, especially in the summer. 

Judy, poor ML, getting sick on vacation. That stinks. 

Eddie, who’s now 19, and his girlfriend Steph, who is 20, went to Atlantic City Airport and bought tickets to fly to Ft Myers, Fl for 5 days next month. $150 each round trip! They first thing we all said was that they are too young to rent a car. But they are going to visit family of hers, who will pick them up and lend them a car. Heather is beside herself, and all I can do is laugh- karma sure is a b*tch! 

6/22/2023 10:19 am  #40

TRISH......HAVE YOU TRIED NIGHT VISION GLASSES THAT ARE ALL THE RAGE HERE IN THE U.S.?  THEY ARE GREAT.  I GOT SOME A FEW YEARS BEFORE I STOPPED DRIVING AND THEY MADE DRIVING AT NIGHT SO MUCH EASIER TO SEE.  I STILL DIDN'T DRIVE AT NIGHT UNLESS IT WAS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, BUT WHEN I DID, THEY WORKED THEIR MAGIC.  IN DAYLIGHT THEY CUT THE SUN'S GLARE SO NICELY, TOO.  I WORE THEM ALL THE TIME WHEN DRIVING.

THE CUTE PUP DID ITS JOB IN A COUPLE OF MINUTES.  I AM FREE OF THE LITTLE CRITTERS (BED BUGS).  THEY DO THIS EVERY YEAR I'VE BEEN HERE AND ALWAYS A VERY SMALL DOG.  THIS ONE WAS A HEINZ DOG (MANY BREEDS).  
TOMORROW THEY DO THE GOVT INSPECTION.  THEY JUST CHECK TO BE SURE EVERYTHING IS WORKING PROPERLY AND WE HAVE EGRESS THRU A WINDOW IN EVERY OUTSIDE ROOM SO ONE WINDOW MUST NOT BE BLOCKED.  I AM ALL GOOD.

MADE THE MIX FOR BURRITOS AND TODAY I WILL BE MAKING CHILI TO USE UP THE DEFROSTED GROUND BEEF.
I DID NOT GO TO BINGO LAST NITE.  MY RIGHT KNEE WAS ACTING UP WITH PAIN SO I WANTED TO RAISE IT AND STAY OFF IT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.  IT WORKED.  ITS FINE TODAY.  I THINK NAN, MY NEIGHBOR, DID THE CALLING LAST NITE.  I WONDER IF SHE ENJOYED IT.
ITS A NICE DAY HERE TODAY.  SUN IS SHINING.  TEMPS MAY HIT 70S WITH NITES STILL IN  THE 50S.  
HAVE A GOOD DAY EVERYONE.  HUGS, QB S 

Last edited by quiltbea (6/22/2023 10:32 am)

Board footera